• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Grinchy

Banned
Zona said:
Well think of it this way, before 1.8 you had a chance of surviving contact with lava if you had enough food. The changes to how you regained health in 1.8 meant that contact with lava was now a guaranteed death (Assuming a lack of water). What there doing by nerfing fire affects isn’t making it so lava and fire Cant kill you, but rather making it so you have a chance at living.
Yeah that makes sense. I was definitely reading it more as "lava can no longer kill you" rather than "lava was too strong for our new eating mechanic."

I think I just enjoy dying in this game and getting pissed off about losing all my stuff.

bengraven

Acullis said:
Can you make larger nether portals if you increase the size of the frame? Could we make a massive portal to outland in the nether?

Then the nether needs to be in chunks floating in free space, a fall will kill you.

Also the pretty purple effects in the sky... :O

Drazgul said:
Whenever I start feeling a bit of pride in my own creations, something like this comes along and destroys it:

BladeCraft - Blade Runner city and texture pack for MC

What's the fucking point of playing the game anymore? This guy "beat" it.

I feel like the Endermen nerf and now the lava nerf are both symptoms of the same problem: Although responding to fans while developing a game is good, it is not always the best path. For example, just because people thought Endermen were too powerful, it didn't mean they should be nerfed. Instead, buff the player! Then the player will feel like a badass once they figure out how to beat them. An anti-ender ward is a great example of this. Or lava proof armor.

To elaborate: Everyone wants The Nether to be hard. That's the whole point! A super challenge! Nerfing lava because it's too hard will lead to the same problem as before. "Nothing to do in this game. Nothing to strive for." Instead, make it so lava is an obstacle that we can eventually overcome. With lava-proof armor, made of ghast skin, the Nether would be so much more fun.

Right now, the Nether works like this: Go there. Be careful, and you can do whatever the hell you want.

If you changed it and added some challenges, it could be different!

New way: Go to the Nether. Because lava and fire are so dangerous, you must lay low, stick to small caves to avoid Ghasts and Blazes. Over time, slowly, kill Ghasts. Then you can harvest their skin for Ghast armor. Now those ruins that used to be too treacherous to survive on due to Blaze? You can go there! Their fire attacks do less damage now! You'll feel like some monster slaying badass who earned the right to explore Nether Ruins by slaying Ghasts. Then, why not make those Blaze Rods help you in some other way that makes the Nether even more fun.

The game needs more challenges like this, but Notch's extraordinary ability at listening and implementing fan requests could be come a liability if the solution to "This is too hard!" is to make the game easy.

bengraven

Found this on Reddit:

p0Ke5.png

Also, Joe, I'm a bit worried Notch is letting the players dictate what goes in too much at this point. This is what happened with WoW and it got to the point where Blizzard spent more time asking "is this okay?" than saying "this is going to change, deal with it".

bengraven

Bootaaay said:
YES! I'm all for stone walls, and anything that overall improves the decorative nature of the game - sloped blocks would be amazing too.

They would make little gardens look so much better.

Ark

bengraven said:
Found this on Reddit:

p0Ke5.png

Also, Joe, I'm a bit worried Notch is letting the players dictate what goes in too much at this point. This is what happened with WoW and it got to the point where Blizzard spent more time asking "is this okay?" than saying "this is going to change, deal with it".

News to me.

Love the stone walls idea. For a game like Minecraft, limitless community feedback & ideas is always a good thing.

Aguirre

wwm0nkey said:
Loved finding the mine shaft, its pretty crazy.
Is it sad that the mine shafts are better than anything I've built? I've actually taken to restoring the shafts to what would've been their former glory... not an easy task, but very fun! I've also took over an entire village. Built a wall around it and absorbed it into my own castle. I've also done a lot of restructuring of the village. Moved entire buildings...

wwm0nkey

Aguirre said:
Is it sad that the mine shafts are better than anything I've built? I've actually taken to restoring the shafts to what would've been their former glory... not an easy task, but very fun! I've also took over an entire village. Built a wall around it and absorbed it into my own castle. I've also done a lot of restructuring of the village. Moved entire buildings...
Exactly what I have done, made a castle town.

Toppot

EVIL said:
any estimate on when neocraft will be updated to 1.8.1?
Probably never, 1.9 is out soon supposedly, so once bukkit has been updated to 1.9 we might get NeoCraft 1.9. But if 1.10 comes out soon to then the pattern may repeat till November when Minecraft will 'come out' .

bengraven

Aguirre said:

I did the same thing. I built a wall around it, then a huge ruin near it, then a railroad station on the other side, facing my huge barely touched ravine/mineshaft system.

I was still working on thinking of what to build for my own house when 1.9 came out.

Ark said:
News to me.

Love the stone walls idea. For a game like Minecraft, limitless community feedback & ideas is always a good thing.

I agree, but there comes a point when developers need to be like "this will make the game better, try it for a while before you judge" and see if it grows on people.

Except the jumping thing, that was just ridiculous.

Venfayth

Has anyone with a 1.8 save gone to 1.9 to see if TESTIFICATE spawn in previously generated towns? Or does anyone know if that's true?

kennah

Acullis said:
Has anyone with a 1.8 save gone to 1.9 to see if TESTIFICATE spawn in previously generated towns? Or does anyone know if that's true?
They said before release that new chunk generation would be needed.

bengraven said:

Yeah, exactly. Feedback from the community, just like anything else, needs to be in moderation.

Ranger X

Toppot said:
Probably never, 1.9 is out soon supposedly, so once bukkit has been updated to 1.9 we might get NeoCraft 1.9. But if 1.10 comes out soon to then the pattern may repeat till November when Minecraft will 'come out' .

LOL

:(

rezuth

bengraven said:
Found this on Reddit:

p0Ke5.png

Thank you! I said this earlier and got shit for it.

rezuth

Togglesworlh said:
That's not what you said at all, but okay.
Alright, this is what I meant by saying he should grow a pair and stop letting people boss him around. Just make a choice and stick with it. People will always bitch about certain things but the most important thing is that he believes in it and stops questioning himself all the time.

Happy?

Drazgul

taoofjord said:
SummerFields Pack has got to be one of the most gorgeous texture packs I've found.

64x is the sweet spot for me, anything lower than that still looks a bit crappy and above 64x things start looking worse and worse from a distance.

rezuth said:
Alright, this is what I meant by saying he should grow a pair and stop letting people boss him around. Just make a choice and stick with it. People will always bitch about certain things but the most important thing is that he believes in it and stops questioning himself all the time.

Happy?
What you said was, in effect, "Stop being a bitch, Notch! Learn how to fuckign design a game." What you should have said was, in effect, "Man, Notch, you really need to stop caving to every complaint thrown at you. It is bringing the game down."

You also didn't mention other people at all. You only said "grow some balls."

All I'm saying is that if you had phrased it in a way that wasn't so hostile, you would have had a lot more people agreeing with you, as can be seen throughout the last couple of pages where half the posts are expressing similar opinions. Me included. There are too many babies playing Minecraft who refuse to play in Creative mode or turn down the difficulty, and they're ruining it for the people who want a challenge.

That said, my original response to you still stands. Sometimes he sees things that don't work out the way he planned, and in those cases, it's all right if he changes his mind. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to tell which situation is actually happening.

EskimoJoe said:
I feel like the Endermen nerf and now the lava nerf are both symptoms of the same problem: Although responding to fans while developing a game is good, it is not always the best path. For example, just because people thought Endermen were too powerful, it didn't mean they should be nerfed. Instead, buff the player! Then the player will feel like a badass once they figure out how to beat them. An anti-ender ward is a great example of this. Or lava proof armor.

To elaborate: Everyone wants The Nether to be hard. That's the whole point! A super challenge! Nerfing lava because it's too hard will lead to the same problem as before. "Nothing to do in this game. Nothing to strive for." Instead, make it so lava is an obstacle that we can eventually overcome. With lava-proof armor, made of ghast skin, the Nether would be so much more fun.

Right now, the Nether works like this: Go there. Be careful, and you can do whatever the hell you want.

If you changed it and added some challenges, it could be different!

New way: Go to the Nether. Because lava and fire are so dangerous, you must lay low, stick to small caves to avoid Ghasts and Blazes. Over time, slowly, kill Ghasts. Then you can harvest their skin for Ghast armor. Now those ruins that used to be too treacherous to survive on due to Blaze? You can go there! Their fire attacks do less damage now! You'll feel like some monster slaying badass who earned the right to explore Nether Ruins by slaying Ghasts. Then, why not make those Blaze Rods help you in some other way that makes the Nether even more fun.

The game needs more challenges like this, but Notch's extraordinary ability at listening and implementing fan requests could be come a liability if the solution to "This is too hard!" is to make the game easy.
I completely agree. This isn't a PvP game (yet?) where things need to be nerfed. This is a PvE game. Instead of nerfing the environment, implement ways for the player to buff themselves, so they grow and feel more badass the longer they play.

The experience system is, obviously, working toward that end, but there's so much more potential. See: Terraria.

Of course, the irony is, in asking him to ignore players, we're asking him to pay attention to us. And we're players. :trollface:

bengraven

Anyway, has anyone noticed that villages are more rare now?

I've been spawning new worlds for the last day, hoping to find a seed similar to the one that's "corrupted", but I've only found one with a really bad, small village in the center of a savannah.

Also, are we going to get biome specific villages? Maybe like all-wood houses in forests, sandstone buildings in deserts, bayou style fishing villages in swamps and cobble castles in mountains? That would be awesome.

Venfayth

bengraven said:
Also, are we going to get biome specific villages? Maybe like all-wood houses in forests, sandstone buildings in deserts, bayou style fishing villages in swamps and cobble castles in mountains? That would be awesome.

sand people :eek:

Kuran

Banned
I love the additions of ruins, I have to admit I made my own ruins in my old world. Any structure or house that I would abandon, I would set fire to or partially destroy.. made the world seem like it had history.

A cool way to do this would be to have severe weather (storms, hurricane's, tornado's, flooding) that (similar to Sim City 2000) would affect the terrain and the blocks. Damn this game has so much potential..

I personally wouldn't mind having to 'upkeep' my buildings. People didn't seem to mind raking leaves in Animal Crossing, so it might be popular.

Drazgul

Togglesworlh said:
Instead of nerfing the environment, implement ways for the player to buff themselves, so they grow and feel more badass the longer they play.

The experience system is, obviously, working toward that end, but there's so much more potential. See: Terraria.

Agreed, and I especially like the Equivalent Exchange mod for this. Take lava for example; you can craft a Volcanite Amulet to become immune to lava (you can even walk on it) but to make it you need 3 Dark Matter. And to craft one Dark Matter you need 36 diamonds among other things (the mod includes some additional means of gaining diamonds than just mining).

So it's not exactly easy to craft these items, but once you do, you get that sense of accomplishment along with a truly powerful new item. Something that's quickly missing from vanilla Minecraft after you get that diamond pickaxe.

Kuran said:
I really can't make myself play this (and Terraria) knowing that future additions to biomes will not work in my 'old' world. But god I want to! Maybe I should just bite the bullet...

I love the additions of ruins, I have to admit I made my own ruins in my old world. Any structure or house that I would abandon, I would set fire to or partially destroy.. made the world seem like it had history.

A cool way to do this would be to have severe weather (storms, hurricane's, tornado's, flooding) that (similar to Sim City 2000) would affect the terrain and the blocks. Damn this game has so much potential..
That is something I've wanted for ages, but Notch doesn't like the idea of letting your structures be destroyed by things out of your control, I guess.

Kuran said:
I really can't make myself play this (and Terraria) knowing that future additions to biomes will not work in my 'old' world. But god I want to! Maybe I should just bite the bullet...

Just do what I'm doing. Dive into any old world and explore the hell out of it and check out the new changes, and don't bother getting into any serious building. At the moment, any ideas I have for structures I crank out quickly in Creative just to see if it'll work out the way I have it in my mind. The ones that are cool I'm saving, and I'll build them properly in Survival when version 1.10 hits.

Until then, it's just me, a few pickaxes, sword, bow & arrows, armour, and some food. Just the bare essentials, and scavenge everything you need on the fly while you explore the new stuff, ie chasms, mineshafts, strongholds etc.

Emitan

Getting to the Far Lands without the use of an external program would be a very difficult (or at least time consuming) task, taking about 820 hours to walk there from the center of the map. Instead, a level.dat editor can be used to teleport the player there. It is impossible for the player to spawn close to the Far Lands due to how extremely far away they are.

Okay, never mind.

I feel like the middle earth server's out of room claim is bs. The minecraft wiki link that was just posted says it takes over 800 hours to hit the edge of the map from the origin. They aren't out of space if they're really only at 12 hours.

spirity

fredrancour said:
I feel like the middle earth server's out of room claim is bs. The minecraft wiki link that was just posted says it takes over 800 hours to hit the edge of the map from the origin. They aren't out of space if they're really only at 12 hours.

Yeah, i suspect so too. From 12 hours to... 820?? Somethings not right there.

Kuran

Banned
A more realistic idea:

Over time certain tiles (bricks, stones) should become dirtier (bricks would darken, stones would become mossy), and the player has the option to restore these blocks to normal if he wishes.

Jasoco

Banned
bengraven said:
Found this on Reddit:

p0Ke5.png
I want this. It would look so amazing. And let us use other stone types too. Like bricks and netherrack/bricks. And sandstone.

bengraven said:
This would also make sense. And please for the love of God fix how the paths generate. The path should be laid out into the ground carving it out. And houses placed along the path at the height of the adjacent path so we don't end up with useless houses with doors in the air or under the ground and paths broken up worse than an earthquake.

Xun

spirity said:
Yeah, i suspect so too. From 12 hours to... 820?? Somethings not right there.
That's why I was asking earlier.

I knew the map was theoretically meant to be able to grow to insane amounts, to the point that no group of people could ever reach the end.

Top Bottom