• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

EVIL

I really miss neocraft, i'd say fuck 1.9, just get it up and running for 1.8.1

then the next restart will be for the full game. hopefully notch has a better system by then so we don't need to wipe the server every time he comes up with an update.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
just found a great seed. a large level forest biome with three mountains and a desert surrounding it.

spawn is in the center of this picture taken from one of the mountains. desert is in the distance.
2SDHI.png

so much space and resources all within sight of each other, sooogoood.

Bloody hell those cave spiders are sneaky little shits! I just saw one catch sight of me, but instead of attacking, it climbed up a wall and hid in a 1x1 hole in the ceiling ready to jump down on me. I'd have jumped out of my chair if that had landed on my head!

Xun

EVIL said:
I really miss neocraft, i'd say fuck 1.9, just get it up and running for 1.8.1

then the next restart will be for the full game. hopefully notch has a better system by then so we don't need to wipe the server every time he comes up with an update.
Can we not block it off like we originally planned?

fredrancour said:
I feel like the middle earth server's out of room claim is bs. The minecraft wiki link that was just posted says it takes over 800 hours to hit the edge of the map from the origin. They aren't out of space if they're really only at 12 hours.

Yeah I'm not buying this either. I once attempted a trip to the Far Lands by using the airship mod to fly there. I flew for way more than 12 hours west over a period of a week or so, and flying covers a lot more ground than walking.

onken

Yeah I never quite got any of the claims for the Minecraft map's size, so let's do a little back-of-an-envelope maths, (all figures approx. for ease of calculation)

radius of earth = 4000 miles
circumference of the earth = 2*pi*4000 = 25,000 miles
average walking speed = 3mph
approx time to walk the circumference of earth = 25000 / 3 = 8300 hours

surface area of earth = 4*pi*(4000)^2 = 200,000,000 square miles
The area of a minecraft map is supposedly 8x the Earth's surface, so:
Area of a minecraft map = 200,000,000 * 8 = 1,600,000,000 square miles
Radius of minecraft world = sqrt(surface area / (4*pi)) = 11,300 miles
circumference of minecraft map = 2*pi*11300 = 71,000 miles
approx time it should take to walk the circumference of a minecraft map = 71000 / 3 = 23,700 hours

So either a) my maths is out, b) walking speed is ridiculously high or c) the map is nowhere near 8x the size of earth.

So the Far Lands don't exist anymore eh? I remember some guy on Youtube was traveling there and keeping a video log of his journey. I bet he was a bit pissed off when version 1.8 dropped :lol

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
onken said:
Yeah I never quite got any of the claims for the Minecraft map's size, so let's do a little back-of-an-envelope maths, (all figures approx. for ease of calculation)

The Far Lands weren't the end of the map. Just where everything started getting screwy. (Though I gather they were the end of the usable map.)

Notch clarified his definition of "infinite" in this post, though it's fairly old nowi: http://notch.tumblr.com/post/3746989361/terrain-generation-part-1

kyubajin

This might sound like a very silly question but, is this a good moment to start playing Minecraft? Should I read the wiki and Faqs like crazy or just jump into it and learn while playing?

Kuran

Banned
kyubajin said:
This might sound like a very silly question but, is this a good moment to start playing Minecraft? Should I read the wiki and Faqs like crazy or just jump into it and learn while playing?

Wait a little bit for the official 1.9 update, I'd say.

Vlad

kyubajin said:

It's always a good time to start playing Minecraft, honestly.

So far, there hasn't been a single update that's required a new map. Sometimes stuff will get weird where the new parts of the map generate after a patch (different land generation code, etc), and you'll need to go to new areas in your map to get new ores and stuff to spawn, but you can still start any time.

As far as wikis go, I'd recommend at least wandering around without one for a few in-game days. They introduced an achievement system a few patches back that acts as something of a tutorial, but there are some key things that aren't covered by the achievements (like torches).

Grinchy

Banned
kyubajin said:
Definitely start playing it. You may want to wait until early next week (estimate) for the official 1.9 patch, but if you know what winrar is, you can always just install the pre-release 1.9.

Definitely, definitely play without a guide at first. The achievement system will get you familiar with common build items. Then, just play. Explore, collect, build, survive. Don't get frustrated by the mobs and turn them off. At least play on normal difficulty. Then, try to remember that there is life outside of Minecraft as you plunge deeper into a gaming coma.

kyubajin

Thanks for the answers. Without sounding disrespectful to the game I'm looking for something creative and hardcore while I wait for Dark Souls. I've played Terraria before and if this game is better than that, I see myself playing for hours upon hours.

Grinchy

Banned
kyubajin said:
Thanks for the answers. Without sounding disrespectful to the game I'm looking for something creative and hardcore while I wait for Dark Souls. I've played Terraria before and if this game is better than that, I see myself playing for hours upon hours.
I really like Terraria, and everyone has their own tastes, but I think Minecraft shits all over it. That's about as nice as I can put it.

Blizzard

Banned
kyubajin said:
It depends what you want. Minecraft is great for exploring, and great for building. It has a really nice sense of environment, and you can do a lot of stuff with friends/internet people if you find a good server.

It's thus far not nearly as combat-focused as Terraria, if I understand correctly. Terraria seems to be more focused on killing enemies and getting lot like say, a roguelike game, while Minecraft is more focused on the 3D construction and exploration aspect.

Ranger X

onken said:

radius of earth = 4000 miles
circumference of the earth = 2*pi*4000 = 25,000 miles
average walking speed = 3mph
approx time to walk the circumference of earth = 25000 / 3 = 8300 hours

surface area of earth = 4*pi*(4000)^2 = 200,000,000 square miles
The area of a minecraft map is supposedly 8x the Earth's surface, so:
Area of a minecraft map = 200,000,000 * 8 = 1,600,000,000 square miles
Radius of minecraft world = sqrt(surface area / (4*pi)) = 11,300 miles
circumference of minecraft map = 2*pi*11300 = 71,000 miles
approx time it should take to walk the circumference of a minecraft map = 71000 / 3 = 23,700 hours

So either a) my maths is out, b) walking speed is ridiculously high or c) the map is nowhere near 8x the size of earth.

The lord of the ring guys are off. And Notch said it approximately 6 times the surface of the Earth, taking that 1 block = 1 meter square. People that been at the end of their map used teleportation, or flying very fast for a damn lot of hours.

Ranger X

Brannon said:
Ack, I'm on Minecraft 1.8.1 and now it's all slow and choppy. Is anyone else getting this?

Yeah, performance got a hit. People that were near the point of noticing a drop in performance can notice. Personally I didn't feel the hit 'cause I passed from like 190 fps to 100 maybe.

Brannon

I see, though I can't believe that Minecraft could bog down my machine when Witcher 2 runs decently. I'll have to wait for the next update then.

Ranger X

Brannon said:
I see, though I can't believe that Minecraft could bog down my machine when Witcher 2 runs decently. I'll have to wait for the next update then.

This is because Minecraft would actually demands a better language/platform than java to really run great.

Man the transition from swamp-to-anything-else is ridiculously abrupt. I mean, they almost always are, but it's really obvious here. I hope he takes time to really smooth out the transitions between biomes in the future.

Mik2121

Unicorn said:
When does the server update? I want to play some multiplayer dammit!
I suggested Ark to upgrade to leaked 1.9 so we could play Creative mode and all he said was "it breaks the game so lol no" (sorta). Then I suggested him to go to 1.8 and make it Creative until 1.9 and the new bukkit releases so we can get back to Survival, but he hasn't replied since then :(

I don't think many people are using the server now, and a lot of us wanna get back, so it's kind of a waste right now..

Mirk

I updated my mini server to 1.9 if anyone is looking for a place to play for fun! :D

Quote to see!!

Also the old 1.8.1 I still have If anyone wants it for single play let me know and I'll put the world up for d/l.

dejay

Banned
Found a seed I'm really enjoying - a huge, intricate cave system that fills a whole mountain and beneath it. I haven't explored just the one cave system and I've been playing it for hours. "Bastards" is the seed if anyone's looking to start a new game.

areal said:
I'm so tempted to try this out. Is the current demo a good reflection of the current version of the full game?

Minecraft Classic? It's been a long time since I played it. It will give you the basic feel of the game, but so much has been added since then. Still, if you like the free version, you should love the full game.

Ark

Mik2121 said:
I suggested Ark to upgrade to leaked 1.9 so we could play Creative mode and all he said was "it breaks the game so lol no" (sorta). Then I suggested him to go to 1.8 and make it Creative until 1.9 and the new bukkit releases so we can get back to Survival, but he hasn't replied since then :(

I don't think many people are using the server now, and a lot of us wanna get back, so it's kind of a waste right now..

That's not what I said at all.

I don't even know what to do with the server now, upgrading to 1.8.1 seems pointless because everyone appears to be using 1.9.

Regardless; I'm going to make the final backup now, and upgrade to 1.8.1.

jediyoshi

Mirk said:
I updated my mini server to 1.9 if anyone is looking for a place to play for fun! :D

Quote to see!!

Also the old 1.8.1 I still have If anyone wants it for single play let me know and I'll put the world up for d/l.

Please do put it up [:

I logged into the new world, found some pretty crazy chunk errors

Sk5TB.jpg

Ark

Oh wow, the server had actually auto-updated to 1.8.1 when Bukkit released, so there you go :)

I've made the final backup as of 10:47am 24/9/2011. You are welcome to blow shit up, I'll reset the map either this evening or tomorrow afternoon (BST ofc).

Ark

Mik2121 said:
Pretty close. It sounded harsh either way, with that smile at the end.

But eh.. I was asking nicely, sorry.

It was intended that way at all, I'm sorry if you misunderstood.

EVIL said:
on the neocraft servur right nauw. so what can we blow up?

Everything!

bengraven

Togglesworlh said:
Man the transition from swamp-to-anything-else is ridiculously abrupt. I mean, they almost always are, but it's really obvious here. I hope he takes time to really smooth out the transitions between biomes in the future.

Yeah, I'm hoping this is a priority right now for 1.9.

bengraven

Dammit my kid wants to watch Sesame Street on Netflix. I want to blow some shit up.

Force updated to 1.8.1 and joined the server and someone already hit hte community chest room where I had been standing. I logged in in midair and fell.

Yeah, biomes definitely need tweaking - for instance, under no circumstances should the only thing separating a snow and desert biome be just a river. It should be a gradual transition - desert, to plains, to swamps, to forests, to snow, etc.

TNT seems to be nerfed on the server right now and I'm a donater who should (in theory) be able to set off TNT...?

Regardless...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, waited until the server was updated to play 1.8 buuuut...I'm really dissapointed, performance wise. Lighting is borked for me and means MC plays like a choppy redeye simulator now.

For a game that started life as an in-browser experience, it seems with every update Mojang have, decidedly, distanced themselves from their original goal; to make Minecraft as "accessible" as possible (esp. to low end PC users).

Grinchy

Banned
kennah said:
If you force update in the launcher it should put you back to 1.8
Oh shit, thanks!

actually, then again, couldn't i just replace the .jar file with my old 1.8 jar file? I don't know why I am stupid sometimes (or all the time)

strata8

Lazlo Woodbine said:
TNT seems to be nerfed on the server right now and I'm a donater who should (in theory) be able to set off TNT...?

Regardless...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, waited until the server was updated to play 1.8 buuuut...I'm really dissapointed, performance wise. Lighting is borked for me and means MC plays like a choppy redeye simulator now.

For a game that started life as an in-browser experience, it seems with every update Mojang have, decidedly, distanced themselves from their original goal; to make Minecraft as "accessible" as possible (esp. to low end PC users).
Are you serious? With the right settings, Minecraft Beta runs and looks so much better than Classic.

Classic Minecraft, 'Huge' world, 'far' render distance:
CreativeFPS.jpg

Beta 1.8 Creative mode, infinite world, smooth lighting disabled, 'fancy' graphics, 'far' render distance:
Beta18FPS.jpg

onken

Some pics of the mayhem:

The ship by the time I got to it:
rr1f1i.png

My beloved cabin:
hslzmh.png

The ship burning
vo5opc.png

From the outside:
bg8o7b.png

I never liked cows anyway: