• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

bengraven said:
Fuuuck, I had a few minutes to spare and noticed .net was down. Oh well, tonight I suppose.

Also, "Ninefingers", I don't have much black wool, but what I do have is your's. I only have maybe 8-12 though. Not sure the exact number, especially since I can't log in right now. Are you doing the max dyed wool trick? Right click with ink and turn the sheep to black, then hit the sheep. You get up to 3 black wool instead of 1:1.

Speaking of names, there's a mod being worked on now for Bukkit that allows nicknames on multiplayer servers. For the most part, those mods aren't too hard, since I've been on servers where people were even given titles like "Sir Bengraven" or "Bengraven the Pig Puncher".

The hard part is that when you want to do commands for another player, like "/give" you have to use their real login name. This mod will get around that, hopefully.

I say this because I'm still kicking myself for using "RAILTS" as my name (which is my last name) instead of Bengraven like I am on every forum on the planet. I guess I never assumed I'd be playing this game on multiplayer, since I usually HATE multi.

Sweet, whenever we're on at the same time just hola at me.

Yea I use the dye on sheep.

Ranger X said:
Are you aware if by any chance they can climb against the current of water?

No idea, they shouldn't. But they are usually very difficult to kill with regular drowning mob traps, because in those traps people use a 1x2 hole to allow all items to flow, but drowning the regular 2x1 monsters. Spiders are 1x2 (height x width), so they simply follow the flow without getting drown.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm pretty new to the Asscraft server so I've mainly just been quietly working on my house.

I saw a big mass of land right off the road that I thought looked kinda like a house with a chimney so I went with that idea. Definitely not done yet, but nothing is ever really finished in Minecraft anyway.

fHiNT.png

Here's the view from my balcony:

DtHyk.png

The main room (downstairs):

FEApy.png

I haven't finished the bedroom yet, so no pictures of that but my bed is right in front of a big window so when I wake up I'm looking outside.

What I've seen of this server so far has been really cool. I see everyone talking about Cave City but I haven't gone to check it out yet.

IrishNinja

man, texture modding/skinning was super easy, props to notch on that.
castlevania 8-bit was a trip, mario/zelda/etc likewise but its between john smith and dokus, so good (and the paintings look sharp too!).

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
No idea, they shouldn't. But they are usually very difficult to kill with regular drowning mob traps, because in those traps people use a 1x2 hole to allow all items to flow, but drowning the regular 2x1 monsters. Spiders are 1x2 (height x width), so they simply follow the flow without getting drown.

I am thinking of a drowning pit that is wide enough for spiders. I hope I'll pull it off because I tried cactus and lava killing but you are losing some drops with both. Drowning pit should let me collect 100% of the drops.

Ranger X said:
I am thinking of a drowning pit that is wide enough for spiders. I hope I'll pull it off because I tried cactus and lava killing but you are losing some drops with both. Drowning pit should let me collect 100% of the drops.

Lava killing with the trick of the stairs should avoid losing drops, but don't affect spiders. The only way that I know to kill spiders easily is using cactus, but sometimes the drop will get stuck in the cactus. You can try a 2 blocks water path that has some turns, and putting cactus in the outside part of the turn. Then, spiders probably will hit the cactus, but the loot will be kept on water. But you need a lot of turns to kill them, because they will hit the cactus only once

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Lava killing with the trick of the stairs should avoid losing drops, but don't affect spiders. The only way that I know to kill spiders easily is using cactus, but sometimes the drop will get stuck in the cactus. You can try a 2 blocks water path that has some turns, and putting cactus in the outside part of the turn. Then, spiders probably will hit the cactus, but the loot will be kept on water. But you need a lot of turns to kill them, because they will hit the cactus only once

I actually tested that "traditional" lava killing way with the ladders. You do lose just as much loot as with cactus. I want to try and make the ennemies fall into 2 block large gap with water falling on their head. If they can "sink" in there, they will all drown and I will get 100% of the loot. I have a setup in mind anyways but I'll have to build it before testing it so it will pretty long. lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Suikoguy said:
My work on Southpoint is progressing nicely, the pier is done, and the walls are halfway done.

Will a wall 3 blocks tall with an overhang keep spiders out?

Yes. I tend to do a basic wall like that for spiders, and then dig a ditch 2 blocks deep a little way out from that. Thats for creepers. Even though your wall will keep those out, I don't like them sneaking up on you and blowing a chunk out of the wall.

bengraven

Bradlums said:
I like where this is headed. Anyone else for making south point medieval themed, complete with castles, barracks, and shanty towns for peasants??

I'm totally okay with this. I made a medieval keep on my single player server around my mine, complete with archery range (right after the halloween update, I put pumpkin heads on them, when I did this on my multi server at the time, everyone bit my idea and now I'm seeing it all the time. lol).

Wired

Fucking Minecraft, so after coming back after a 3 (or 4) month break I found myself spending about 4 hours last night digging a straight 3x3 tunnel so that I can connect my new outpost to my main base. Why do we do things like this to ourselves? Though I guess I could've shaved off an hour or so if I hadn't been sidetracked by all these cool cave systems along the way :p

Ranger X said:
I actually tested that "traditional" lava killing way with the ladders. You do lose just as much loot as with cactus. I want to try and make the ennemies fall into 2 block large gap with no water falling on their head. If they can "sink" in there, they will all drown and I will get 100% of the loot. I have a setup in mind anyways but I'll have to build it before testing it so it will pretty long. lol

Make 2 width and 3 blocks height in 1 side, 2 blocks height in the other.

Put the water scape in the bottom part with water. Frontal view of the pool, W is water, B is block:

BWWB
BWWB
BBWB
BBBB

The holes to let flow the water (and loot) should be in the underlined parts. The spiders will get stuck without being able to cross the pool, because the water flow is not 2x1

It's necessary to make it with no water falling?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Bradlums said:
I like where this is headed. Anyone else for making south point medieval themed, complete with castles, barracks, and shanty towns for peasants??

Cool! :)

Feel free to modify the walls to make them nicer looking, they are just basic right now.

I probably won't have much time to play tonight or tomorrow, but i'll certainly be on Wednesday night.

Eccocid

Just for fun i edited textures today. Made the deafult stone texture almost same as glass one.
WHOAAA
The view is fantastic when u see large pools of lava going forever at the bottom of map!
And hanging torches everywhere beneath Tree and Ocean Towns at Asscraft server.
Tho u can cheat to see diamond blocks it is very difficult to navigate, and game still doesnt render side view of blocks if they dont have any space around them. All u can see is tunnels and lava pools. Still an amazing view

Darias

I started my tower in the city area of Exano's this morning. Last night I finished the walls of my cliffside retreat, but I can't find it on the map yet. :)

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Make 2 width and 3 blocks height in 1 side, 2 blocks height in the other.

Put the water scape in the bottom part with water. Frontal view of the pool, W is water, B is block:

BWWB
BWWB
BBWB
BBBB

The holes to let flow the water (and loot) should be in the underlined parts. The spiders will get stuck without being able to cross the pool, because the water flow is not 2x1

It's necessary to make it with no water falling?

Sorry man, that was a typo. lol
Of course I want water falling on them. I just hope the spiders cannot climb vertically against thanks to the water falling.

bengraven

Darias said:
How often does the map update?

I don't think this is an auto-loading map. I think he has to run the scan for every map.

Speaking of maps, I haven't used SimpleMap in forever and I'm really starting to miss it.

bengraven

Lonestar said:
It looks like it had been about a month since the previous update.

No, not that long. Exano's grid and his subsequent tower are on there, though no one else's building is. That was put up about 4 or 5 days ago.

Ranger X said:
Sorry man, that was a typo. lol
Of course I want water falling on them. I just hope the spiders cannot climb vertically against thanks to the water falling.

I don't think that they are able to climb the water flow. But check it yourself.

elwes

I have a backlog of about 10 games because of Minecraft. I desperately want to install Civ V and Tropico 3 and get my micromanagement RTS on, but I can't tear myself away from this game.

On a more positive note, because of MC I've saved an assload of money on games that I would've normally bought because I was bored and wanted to have a new game.

Excuse my ignorance, but I've been reading a lot about the Exano server. Is this open to everyone? My friends that I normally play the game with are embroiled in God Eater and I'm wiling away on our server with no one to play with. As much as it would pain me to stop altering our world, it'd be cool to play with some people on here and feel like I wasn't in a world with a population of one.

Eccocid said:
Just for fun i edited textures today. Made the deafult stone texture almost same as glass one.
WHOAAA
The view is fantastic when u see large pools of lava going forever at the bottom of map!
And hanging torches everywhere beneath Tree and Ocean Towns at Asscraft server.
Tho u can cheat to see diamond blocks it is very difficult to navigate, and game still doesnt render side view of blocks if they dont have any space around them. All u can see is tunnels and lava pools. Still an amazing view

Wow, this a genius idea, I might play around with this on some of my old maps that I got bored of to find some more cave entrances etc.

Bradlums

elwes said:
Excuse my ignorance, but I've been reading a lot about the Exano server. Is this open to everyone? My friends that I normally play the game with are embroiled in God Eater and I'm wiling away on our server with no one to play with. As much as it would pain me to stop altering our world, it'd be cool to play with some people on here and feel like I wasn't in a world with a population of one.
It's open to everyone on gaf, so yea you're more than welcome to join. IP of the server is in the OP.

Ranger X

elwes said:
I have a backlog of about 10 games because of Minecraft. I desperately want to install Civ V and Tropico 3 and get my micromanagement RTS on, but I can't tear myself away from this game.

On a more positive note, because of MC I've saved an assload of money on games that I would've normally bought because I was bored and wanted to have a new game.

haha, same for me. Many games waiting for me getting bored of Minecraft right now and I also didn't buy anything since I am playing Minecraft. Next game might be L.A.Noire though. Probably won't be able to pass on this one.

Strummerjones said:
Wow, this a genius idea, I might play around with this on some of my old maps that I got bored of to find some more cave entrances etc.

Cartographer G, cave mode.

It's the best to search for caves. You can see in a moment where are the bigger caves, and is not spoilerish.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Cartographer G, cave mode.

It's the best to search for caves. You can see in a moment where are the bigger caves, and is not spoilerish.

Cartographer G really is awesome. And to the contrary of most other charters, it works on Vista64bits. I love it.

What a week, played tons of Shogun 2, but now that the new-game smell has worn off I'll be back to minecraft. Especially since I started putzing around a bit over the weekend and stumbled into some cool spots while working on my project.

I'm mining out the roof of my giant cavern and stumbled into a pool of lava, excellent, because I was hoping I would find some up there, I wanted to make some stalagtites/stalagmites oozing the stuff. Then I heard water, and after digging I encountered a fairly large and complex cave system. (with more lava and some water). Also excellent since its given me some new ideas for later.

I've got around 5-6 more layers to mine out of the roof, then I'll finish mining out the walls of the cave. And then finally I'll get to start actually building my little city.

Just looked at Exano's map, you can't see any of my work since its all underground, just my small basic fort I built for storage/crafting/safety :-(

If anyone here love mountains I found a world with a lot of mountains, and some big caves.

The seed is very easy to remember: New World

Big cave in X: 216, Z: 16

Jhriad

Darias said:
How often does the map update?

The Gafland (Exano's server) map only updates when Exano sends a copy of the world to krovan and he converts it to that Google Map style format. The current map is from Friday night so anything built after that isn't represented on there atm.

EDIT: The map could conceivably be updated as frequently as Exano wants to send it or if it's worked out how to have it update as things are built but I'm not sure if that requires some access that Exano doesn't want other folks to have or not. For now it'll probably be updated once a week or something like that. This way we'll also be able to look at archived versions of the map and watch the changes.

Timan

Developer
Jhriad said:
The Gafland (Exano's server) map only updates when Exano sends a copy of the world to krovan and he converts it to that Google Map style format. The current map is from Friday night so anything built after that isn't represented on there atm.

EDIT: The map could conceivably be updated as frequently as Exano wants to send it or if it's worked out how to have it update as things are built but I'm not sure if that requires some access that Exano doesn't want other folks to have or not. For now it'll probably be updated once a week or something like that. This way we'll also be able to look at archived versions of the map and watch the changes.

He could setup dynmap if his server/host supports it. Then it'd be live.

Jhriad

Exano was having problems with the map rendering to begin with which is why krovan was the one that rendered the current one. Not sure if he tried Dynmap or not.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Here is what south point looks like now;

I laid out some basic roads, and started construction on my house.

Nothing real exciting yet, but it's getting there.

Exano

Neo Member
Timan said:
He could setup dynmap if his server/host supports it. Then it'd be live.

Are you guys experiencing any type of preformance hits from it? thats really whats stopping me from attempting it, im afraid of lag and such.

blamite

Creepermoon.png

I made this avatar just now, but I don't think I'm gonna use it. whoever wants it can grab it, although you should probably rehost it yourself.

Top Bottom