• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

AutoGibbon said:
In contrast, I often come on this thread to see the current discussion about Minecraft, the game as it stands, and any new things I MUST SEE.

Those things are few and far between. Pretty much only when there's a impending update and Notch & Jeb are tweeting about new features. Otherwise, judging from the non-NeoCraft posts over the past few weeks, this thread would be entirely "here's a picture of some stuff I made in my single player world", "here's a cool video of minecraft I found on youtube" and "I'm new to Minecraft, how should I procede?".

But whatever, you seem to think that nothing pertaining to people playing the game on NeoCraft can be "worthwhile" - perhaps we should split the thread to save you and other poor souls from the "sea of drooling NeoCrafters".

Personally I'm of the opinion that it's good for the game and the community to have the OT consistently bumped on GAF's gaming side, rather than the graveyard of the Community forum.

onken

Ark said:
The server map is reset!

Commence building!

Sooo what's the deal, are we doing that cordoned zone thing? This map is staying for the immediate future right? Are the arks there?

DPsygnet

humm .. tried to keep up with the infos but i guess i missed some posts, are we transfering the Arks and doing the new world project or we're doing free for all buildings and waiting for 1.9 ?

also can i be made citizen plz

username DPsygnet

Jhriad

Ark said:
I guess we can play on a new 1.8.1 map until 1.9 comes out in a stable build and then transform a newly filled up Ark over to 1.9?

So we're supposed to fill up a new ark? Why not just keep the old one? Ugh, really not interested in starting on a new map just to start new again when 1.9 hits.

kodt said:
If we want Snow Biomes and no ugly borders between 1.8 and 1.9 chunks

Oh no! Chunk errors. My god the horror. /sarcasm

If we decide to wait for the 'next update' we'll just be perpetually waiting. Choose a time to start and just go with it.

onken

Ark said:
If the rumours about the map fuck ups from 1.8 to 1.9 then we'll reset the map again I guess.

Meh, kinda hard to get into the building spirit if we're gonna get reset again in a week or two.

Jhriad

Kuran said:
Die? There is so much to talk about with Minecraft.

In between updates the Neogaf servers are the most common topic here. Either folks asking how to join or whatever.

Even still, that discussion is pretty infrequent. Without the server talk this thread would be long dead.

If we don't explore too far, it wouldn't be hard to terraform the chunk and biome errors after switching to 1.9 - but that becomes increasingly difficult the more we push out the circumference of the world. Also, no villages spawned in the 1.8 world will be populated.

Grinchy

Banned
In my SP world, maybe I've just been lucky, but I've gone to two different sides of the square of land I let myself explore before 1.9 came out. Each side seamlessly transitions to new terrain. I'm not saying that it's not a problem, but it hasn't been a problem for me yet. I still think a fresh 1.9 map is the best option though.

rezuth

Jhriad said:
In between updates the Neogaf servers are the most common topic here. Either folks asking how to join or whatever.

Even still, that discussion is pretty infrequent. Without the server talk this thread would be long dead.
Who cares if the thread would die at some points, I'll rather have that and have new information, discussions etc sorted. I don't like having to keep skipping 50 posts about some server I have no interest in atm.

Ranger X

rezuth said:
Who cares if the thread would die at some points, I'll rather have that and have new information, discussions etc sorted. I don't like having to keep skipping 50 posts about some server I have no interest in atm.

The problem is not there. The problem is that if we have a seperate Neocraft thread it will go in the community section and this means the thread will simply die. It's best the stay here to talk about Neocraft and whatever concerns Minecraft beta.

JVIDICAN

Its either both threads live in unity or die as separate threads. In community the thread wont get any new posters, it will lose some of its current posters, and will soon fall into obscurity.
Unless your Halo, or something similar, community's a thread graveyard. :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Holy shit, I just found my first actual "dungeon" dungeon. Its like...an abandoned mining complex with wooden props and old rails running through corridors....its terrifying, because I keep waiting for something to kill me.

onken

The_Technomancer said:
Holy shit, I just found my first actual "dungeon" dungeon. Its like...an abandoned mining complex with wooden props and old rails running through corridors....its terrifying, because I keep waiting for something to kill me.

That's a mineshaft, not a dungeon. Dungeons have mossy cobble, enemy spawners and a chest.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
onken said:
That's a mineshaft, not a dungeon. Dungeons have mossy cobble, enemy spawners and a chest.
I know its not a "dungeon", but I was using it in the broader term of "artificial complex to explore", not the strict minecraft definition.

Ashodin

The_Technomancer said:
I know its not a "dungeon", but I was using it in the broader term of "artificial complex to explore", not the strict minecraft definition.
Mineshafts have monster spawners too, don't let him get you down ;)

Ranger X

There's a small village town thing going on right beside the spawn. Very cool to see you guys get organised together. I might join you all soon (or not). I'm not decided yet about waiting for 1.9 or not.

Ashodin

The_Technomancer said:
Ahahahaha, its fucking huge, oh my god I love this game all over again. I had no idea these existed.
Wait until you find the actual Stronghold. They're crazy. And they're ALL OVER THE NETHER. It's scary as fuck since the Netherbrick absorb light.

Ashodin

bengraven said:
I still have yet to find a stronghold.
Same here. But HOLY SHIT going into the Nether is scary as hell now, god help you when you find the Nether Stronghold - those flying fire shooting enemies are a bitch!

AutoGibbon

Neo Member
Varna said:
Finally bought this game. What are some essential mods (really interesting in getting a decent texture pack)?

Honestly, try vanilla first before messing around with it. You don't know what you could be missing.

Many Texture Packs

The_Technomancer said:
Are you kidding me? A spawner hanging from the ceiling of a giant cavern?

Shouldn't the mobs just fall and die then?

bengraven

Maxrpg said:
Same here. But HOLY SHIT going into the Nether is scary as hell now, god help you when you find the Nether Stronghold - those flying fire shooting enemies are a bitch!

Yeah, I'm kind of excited to check out the Nether now.

That said, I pussed out going into the Nether months ago because it's dull on Peaceful, but I can't build anything without a ghast destroying everything on the other settings.

undu

Varna said:
Finally bought this game. What are some essential mods (really interesting in getting a decent texture pack)?
My most favourite is eldpack.

Then there's also painterly and quandary which look much more similar to the default pack.

jolicraft has also very good textures, but I don't like the feel it gives to the game.

I also like frenden's packs a lot, but they havent been updated yet for the last version.

If you want to try another pack that gives the game an rpg look you can try wayukian, it's about to bu updated for the last version.

These are all standard resolution packs, if you want bigger ones you'll have to use mcpatcher. (x32 and up)

Ashodin

bengraven said:

That said, I pussed out going into the Nether months ago because it's dull on Peaceful, but I can't build anything without a ghast destroying everything on the other settings.
Well if you want help going into there, lmk sometime. I have a private server you can come build some houses in if you'd like.

Grinchy

Banned
AutoGibbon said:
I tried to start a war, and failed. You guys are too nice. Peace.
Join the server and be one of the people spamming the thread with Neocraft posts!

bengraven said:

Yeah IMO the ghasts are broken. If you like building in a huge cavernous area in the nether (who the fuck wouldn't?) then you are stuck with building only out of materials that can't be destroyed. That's really lame.

Varna said:
I'm back to loving the default pack again somehow (except with better glass). But, I really loved justforcraft before. They haven't updated since 1.7 tho :(

Ashodin

Grinchy said:
Join the server and be one of the people spamming the thread with Neocraft posts!
One thing I would have to agree on is that most people that post in here are just playing on the NeoCraft server instead of talking about MineCraft in general (videos, stuff).

There are people talking about their creations but they get swamped in other posts with maybe one guy going "that's neat, xxx! By the way SERVER SERVER SERVER SERVER BLAH BLAH DROWN you get the idea"

Just sayin'.

Grinchy

Banned
I know what you're saying, Max. But let's say for a second that everyone on the Neocraft server just posted about their SP worlds. The thread would still move fast.

But still, I'm sure anyone who isn't on the server finds it frustrating that every page is filled with something that they aren't interested in. I just don't know what the solution is. There are other OTs where small groups dominate the conversation.

Jhriad

Ark said:
The server map is reset!

Commence building!

Is the map getting reset again when 1.9 hits? I don't want to spend more time if it's just going to get erased. Also any eta on the ark hitting the new map? Luv you.

Orgun

Oh shit this is tense, just found my first collapsed mineshaft. There's skeletons spiders and zombies in there! I blocked it back up and cheesed it

Rapstah

Warps and /homes still enabled with the new map on the server. The warps are pretty cool and the Pyramid warp especially leads to an interesting place, so they don't really hurt people. /Home seems to be linked to heigth though. Not that good when these new maps are lower than old maps in general.

Ranger X said:
The problem is not there. The problem is that if we have a seperate Neocraft thread it will go in the community section and this means the thread will simply die. It's best the stay here to talk about Neocraft and whatever concerns Minecraft beta.
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

The thread only dies if you let it die.

Unicorn

Nice having a mountain retreat.

I was too intimidated to try building anything in the old server. I have no talent, plus gathering resources is a big time-eater.

Top Bottom