• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Kayo-kun

Calm down guys. It's completely unnecessary to fight over which players this thread should be concentrated on. Everyone should be able to write about about their single or multi player experience. I personally don't even have that much time to play Minecraft these days but still like reading the posts in this thread, be it single player or Ark's server.

mcrae

Blizzard said:
I'm hardly ever on the server yet I like hearing about it, and I think singleplayer adventures are cool too.

this

Kayo-kun said:
Calm down guys. It's completely unnecessary to fight over which players this thread should be concentrated on. Everyone should be able to write about about their single or multi player experience. I personally don't even have that much time to play Minecraft these days but still like reading the posts in this thread, be it single player or Ark's server.

or this

can everyone move on ^ ^

and can ark add me as a citizen

Cyrillus

I don't understand, if you don't like discussing Minecraft, why are you in this thread? And if a particular post bores you, feel free to stop reading it and move on to the next.

Even when I am not playing the game, I like seeing stories of others' adventures in the game, it's what makes games like this great (I love to read Dwarf Fortress stories too, even though I've never actually played the game).

Hey Ark(or if someone else knows), the map will be restarting again with 1.9 soon we hope? And the ark will just be moved over again...so I just should just leave my stuff in there for the moment?

Jhriad said:
The Minecraft thread WAS in the community section and it nearly died because of it. People just don't think to check that forum for gaming stuff very often so whatever the thread is slowly drops off the front page of community until it's forgotten. Only a small number of thread can actually stick around in community because of the sheer size of the community for said topic/game.
I'm well aware, but people have no one to blame but themselves for the thread's death. With all of the regular posters here in this thread, if they actually wanted to keep posting about Minecraft, they could do one of two things: 1) ACTUALLY DO IT, and 2) Subscribe to the thread.

Also for the record I don't give a flying rat's ass if the thread is split up or stays here or moves to the community forum or whatever. I like reading both singleplayer and multiplayer stories. I just think you people are silly. X:

wokka wokka wokka

Toki1776 said:
The Old Neocraft world has been trimmed and uploaded! Here's the link: http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/270075/world.zip
(If anyone would like to find a better place to host it, please feel free... This was the best I could find on short notice)

Very nice, I am going to look forward to plundering the Ark for all it's worth. Many thanks Toki1776 for trimming the map and getting it ready for downloading so quickly. It is appreciated all the hard work you and Ark do.

JVIDICAN

Ok I think I found my favorite seed yet. "wild wild west" on 1.8.1
Lots of mountains, overhangs, caverns and rivers winding around them. Waterfalls everywhere too.
yjIhN.png

p12XQ.png

aeNIH.png

rCujf.png

Ranger X

JVIDICAN said:
Ok I think I found my favorite seed yet. "wild wild west" on 1.8.1
Lots of mountains, overhangs, caverns and rivers winding around them. Waterfalls everywhere too.
yjIhN.png

aeNIH.png

rCujf.png

actually this is the new "mountain biome". All seeds have that. :)

mcrae

Grinchy said:
When we destroyed the server, I personally destroyed your tree fort at the spawn. Come at me, bro.

yeh im sorry i left that thing half finished as an eyesore for you. unless im confusing you with Mengy. and you mean that thing with the dirt walls/drymoat/stone bridge right? cause the tree fort i made off a corner of arkyoto was no where near spawn

Tunavi said:
Been thinking about getting this. How active is the GAF minecraft community?

Ark runs Neocraft that typically always has 1 or 2 guys on, and peaks at the server max of 19 (i think?) now and then. it seems to come in waves, more peopel on when updates happen, obviously

Mik2121

Man.. the hotel where I'm staying SUCKS. For some reason I can't connect to any server, I guess they have whatever router ports closed. Also, I can't access Youtube (they have it blocked).

And I'm staying here for 6 weeks (already been 4 weeks and a few days, only one week and a couple days left). Kill me :(

Emitan

Mik2121 said:
Man.. the hotel where I'm staying SUCKS. For some reason I can't connect to any server, I guess they have whatever router ports closed. Also, I can't access Youtube (they have it blocked).

And I'm staying here for 6 weeks (already been 4 weeks and a few days, only one week and a couple days left). Kill me :(
No Youtube? Kill me now!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My friend's Minecraft client wont log in to the main server properly, always reporting "Non-Premium Member". He's premium and owns the game, and is able to login on the website just fine.

Any idea how to fix this?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ranger X said:
Look mister, have your own experiences with the community section before telling others how it goes. Of course I know threads die because people let it die or not. If I am telling you that putting this thread in the community section will kill it, what do you think this means? I need to explain how, why, etc?

I was here when this very foum was called Gaming Age forum and bound to a videogame website. I post every single fucking day. I KNOW what generally happens here. You will learn by experience (like I already did) that the community section isn't active and threads are dying an early death over there. People stop participating when most threads are going there. I know about this trend and I don't want this thread to die. I heard that I'm saying dumb things but how ironic that I need to explain all of this to you.
I have experineces with the community section, and topics thrive quiet well there now, compared to when it was just the "online" section. TF2, LoL, HoN, a bunch of Fighting games, it really works well. You loose some viability, but in a way, it helps actually build a community.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So here is the town near spawn on 1.8 Neocraft as of tonight:

2011-09-25_222732.png

2011-09-26_000728.png

Basically we took over an NPC town, expanded on it, and walled it in.

Emitan

EatChildren said:
My friend's Minecraft client wont log in to the main server properly, always reporting "Non-Premium Member". He's premium and owns the game, and is able to login on the website just fine.

Any idea how to fix this?
I've never heard of anything like that. Have him backup his saves and delete and re install the client. Or maybe just try deleting the minecraft.jar file and having the launcher force an update?

EDIT: The roof of my house looks really ugly in that picture. I need to make it look better.

EVIL

so many stuff thats a bit wierd right now, all the old warps are still there, plus the nether is unchanged. *found mushrooms there

Ark

Rabbit Lord said:
Hey Ark(or if someone else knows), the map will be restarting again with 1.9 soon we hope? And the ark will just be moved over again...so I just should just leave my stuff in there for the moment?

I really don't know. I keep hearing that 1.9 biome generation really doesn't match up with 1.8.1 generation, so really, I guess we'll see when 1.9 releases.

Also; I'll bring the Ark over in a day or two. I want to see if the server rolls back again first. But it seriously looks like you guys have been busy :eek:

Mik2121

Togglesworlh said:
From what I've gathered, they plan to start a new world with 1.9. Not sure, though.
Yeah, I think I read something about that. That'd be great.

Seriously, as I said before.. this hotel blows. I mean, it's a great place, but the internet is just BAD. I can't access Youtube nor other stuff like Steam or even play Minecraft online..

Thankfully I'm going back home on the 6th and I guess by then 1.9 will have been released and bukkit will have upgraded or about to be upgraded, so I can join the server from pretty much the start.

Ark said:
I really don't know. I keep hearing that 1.9 biome generation really doesn't match up with 1.8.1 generation, so really, I guess we'll see when 1.9 releases.

Also; I'll bring the Ark over in a day or two. I want to see if the server rolls back again first. But it seriously looks like you guys have been busy :eek:
Sweet. I'll put my treehouse project on hold, since I put a lot of my materials in that ark.

Grinchy

Banned
mcrae said:
yeh im sorry i left that thing half finished as an eyesore for you. unless im confusing you with Mengy. and you mean that thing with the dirt walls/drymoat/stone bridge right? cause the tree fort i made off a corner of arkyoto was no where near spawn
Oh no man I actually liked it. I hope I didn't give that impression. I just had a lot of fun destroying everyone's shit and I thought I remembered you building that. If I had more TNT, I would have bombed the shit out of Mengy's tower at the spawn too. That thing is awesome and it deserved to die.

The mock-up of the Wheat Harvester 2.0 is looking mighty fine so far in my creative world >:)

It's going to have 1 gate of 5 tiers of 40 wheat per tier = 200 wheat a load per gate! And I'm planning on having multiple gates. Perhaps 5 for an even 1000 wheat ;) Oooo, or maybe 6 gates for an even 400 bread per haul... Hmmm!

Or I could just make one MEGA WHEAT BEAST and make the server performance (and FPS) suffer even more than my old one did :D

Just need to know for sure if we're just goofing off on this 1.8 map and wiping come 1.9? Or are we dropping the ark on the current map and keeping?

Billychu said:
Where is that? What's happening? ARE YOU DESTROYING OUR VILLAGE?!
No, it's not. Is that Pyramid Town?
Nope! Goofing off on a friend's server spawning Ghasts and Giants and all sorts of crap haha!

I want to start a new world, for single player. Is safe to use 1.8.1 or it will be better to wait until 1.9 or 1.10?

There is any way to get the 1.9 prerelease?

Mengy

Bootaaay said:
Sure, here's the link; http://bit.ly/nKCuzK - just dump the .jar in your Minecraft bin folder, replacing the old 1.8 one.

I've been playing 1.9 prerelease on my single player world, and I switch back to 1.8.1 to play multiplayer on Neocraft. What I do is make a copy of the "official" MINECRAFT.JAR file and add the version to the end of the file name like MINECRAFT.JAR.1_8_1. When I downloaded the 1.9 prerelease MINECRAFT.JAR file I made a copy of that and renamed it to MINECRAFT.JAR.1_9_PRE. Now, to go back and forth between versions I just copy whichever version I want to play and rename it to the normal MINECRAFT.JAR file name. works well for me. The only thing you have to be careful of is with your single player worlds, once you play a world in a new version you really shouldn't go back to a previous version with it, that can mess things up. But then I regularly back up my worlds anyway, so it's not really a big risk for me.

LilZippa

Just found a dungeon, abandoned mine shaft, and ravine when i was building a tunnel for a tram to desert town. What a busy morning. I'm at work now otherwise I'd try for a pic of the ravine.

Mengy

Grinchy said:
If I had more TNT, I would have bombed the shit out of Mengy's tower at the spawn too. That thing is awesome and it deserved to die.

Thanks. I've gotten quite a few compliments on that tower since I've built it. I never did finish the underground part of it, I had cool plans for the bottom half. I just got distracted by Booty Bay, Moria, Arkyoto, Al Medina, my Creeper Temple, my ranch....

I've been dabbling in creative mode 1.9 for a while now building prototypes of something I want to build on Neocraft once we decide on a server map for good. I'm calling it Fortress Mengy for lack of a better name for now. I've got five prototypes in various states of construction all over my creative map, a few I started and didn't like how it turned out. So I finally think I have a design for the exterior of it, and a good idea of what I want the interior to be. I knew it was going to be huge, I've wanted to build something like this for awhile now. This morning I did a few calculations on what amount of materials this thing is going to take to make. I think the freedom and unlimited materials of creative mode may have colored my glasses a little rosy. This is the estimate so far:

22 stacks of cobble
40 stacks of planks
60 stacks of dirt
70 stacks of sandstone
82 stacks of nether brick
14 stacks of clean stone
181 stacks of stone brick !!!
24 stacks of coal (just to smelt the clean stone and stone brick!!)

Not to mention some stacks of colored wools, clay bricks, lots of glass, and various amounts of the three types of logs. And it is going to take more than that because I'm not done with the design yet, there is an upper part I'm still fiddling with and I haven't even started the underground part. I'm going to have to start a huge mine early on just to collect all the stone and coal, lol. And a nether mine, thats a lot of netherrack I'm gonna need. Still, I'm not feeling deterred. Even if I have to make it a long term project and it takes a long, long time to collect all of those mats and then build it, oh well. That's part of the fun for me.

If I knew we were staying with this new map for certain on Neocraft I'd start working on it now. As it is, I think I'm going to wait until 1.9 hits and things shake out a bit. Maybe once the Ark is brought into the 1.8.1 world and if there is still room on the ship I might start farming for materials and storing them on the Ark with the rest of my stuff.

Ark

The PM's....they just don't stop.

Also, people need to actually PM with their Minecraft name. I don't possess any magical powers to telepathically tell what your Minecraft name is.

EDIT: Oh, Toki should make a map of what we have already ;)

Lastly:

What do people think of this mod? I know nothing about redstone so I'll leave it up to you guys to decide whether or not it'll be useful in NeoCraft.

EVIL

would be nice to have it power a digital clock on the planned sky island bioshock infinite city. like on the town hall front, with in front of it a large square with a fountain and stuff

The trouble with a lot of these mods is that they're unnecessarily complex. I probably wouldn't bother. Now, a mod that simply removes the stupid quirks of redstone wiring? That'd be handy.

I just can't get into this game since coming back to it. The motivation to build has just gone completely, and I keep starting new SP worlds, explore for a bit then quit :/

Vlad

Ark said:
What do people think of this mod? I know nothing about redstone so I'll leave it up to you guys to decide whether or not it'll be useful in NeoCraft.

I haven't played with it myself, but from what I can tell from all that I've read about it, having it on a server will require that people will have to have it installed to use it. I don't know what'll happen if someone who doesn't have it installed tries to connect, so that's a consideration.

Honestly, I was always a huge fan of Craftbook when it was on Exano's server. It's not as full-featured as the RedPower mod, but it does allow for a lot of neat redstone stuff and doesn't require any client installs.

Top Bottom