• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

DPsygnet said:
Ark can i get citizenship please ? DPsygnet

I wan to contribute to pioneer town >_<

already sent you a PM but am double asking :)

Please don't do this, it makes me want to punch babies.

If you've PM'ed me about Citizenship then don't PM me again regarding Citizenship unless it is to fix an error/etc. I'm adding people in bulk, rather than as I go along like I used to.

Just a word of warning, I'm going to have to take down the server sometime this week (most likely Thursday) so that I can import the Ark(s) from the Old World.

EDIT: Two people have donated and not told me their names, so I haven't been able to add them. If you don't put your name in the donation message or PM me on GAF with 'MC server donation' in the title then how am I supposed to know who you are?

Also, someone donated £1. Really? I thank you for your donation, but cmon now.

EDIT EDIT: Holy balls, you can change the size of the reply window?! :OOOO

bengraven said:
What I'm excited about is this new innovation of creating items IN game.

Stack two snow, then a pumpkin on top to create a snowman, for example.

This would create an all new dimension to creating things in Minecraft.
Yeah that really surprised me. I think that method of 'crafting' has a lot of potential.

DPsygnet

careful with the babies !

Alright ill wait, and log each night, hoping to see the block am punching not reappear, only to realise that someone already took that sweet spot where i was planning to build my home...

/sad Keanu Reeve

:p

bengraven said:
What I'm excited about is this new innovation of creating items IN game.

Stack two snow, then a pumpkin on top to create a snowman, for example.

This would create an all new dimension to creating things in Minecraft.

I really hope he adds a ton of different golems with essentially the same recipe. Although, that raises a new problem: How will the game know when you want a golem vs. when you just want a pumpkin on the ground?

EDIT: And he explained "reparing." Craft two damaged items together for a new one with less damage.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
EskimoJoe said:
I really hope he adds a ton of different golems with essentially the same recipe. Although, that raises a new problem: How will the game know when you want a golem vs. when you just want a pumpkin on the ground?

EDIT: And he explained "reparing." Craft two damaged items together for a new one with less damage.

Huh. Interesting concept, though not quite what I expected. Still, better than the nothing we have now.

I really was looking forward to a new repair specific table though. Some more stuff to fill out our workshops would be sweet.

EVIL said:
Someone build a portal at the pioneer warp, I removed it. a portal does not fit a simple village If you want to go to the nether use the other portals (one at the mountain on the opposite side of the city) Also my wife placed signs at every house that breaks the style, and violates the building codes put up at the warp. use wood, cut wood, and cobble ONLY!, glass windows are fine, but don't make them larger then 2x2 all houses should be single story buildings. You are allowed to make a basement, but remember, Vas will probably burrow trough it and connect you to the community mine.

oh and there where people complaining about blocks missing. That would be the endermen, I spotted one pulling a block from someones home. Once it has the block and you kill it, you don't get the block back so I think I "repaired" the damage with either wood or dirt

I live outside the town in my tree fortress made of glass and trees, your laws don't rule me!

Also I can flood the community mine at will!

Venfayth

jeb_ Jens Bergensten
Omw home I realized there's a really simple way for me to implement the "blindness" potion effect. Guess I'll continue from home tonight...
7 minutes ago

notch Markus Persson
To prevent feeling like you're missing out by not repairing, it's ultra easy. Combine two damaged items to get a new item with less damage.
16 minutes ago

:D

Mengy

EVIL said:
Also my wife placed signs at every house that breaks the style, and violates the building codes put up at the warp. use wood, cut wood, and cobble ONLY!, glass windows are fine, but don't make them larger then 2x2 all houses should be single story buildings.

Hmm, I wonder if I have a sign on my house waiting for me? The only thing I can think of that broke the rules are my fences on my roof terrace...do fences count as cut wood? :)

Aw reparing is boring. ):

I hope at the very least it gives bonus durability when you combine items, so that it's actually worth reparing.

It hurts me INSIDE to spell this word wrong intentionally, hah.

bengraven

Two things:

1) I love how our houses are connected through our basements. It's the Portland underground! I actually was going to suggest this a while ago, it kind of gives the world a more connected feeling.

2) My house is a lot bigger than most of the houses in Landing, but I just claimed a house that was already there. I can remove my fence if it bothers anyone, though no one has complained so far. Just let me know if it bothers you, but I added the fence before the size rules came into play.

Treefingers said:
Yeah that really surprised me. I think that method of 'crafting' has a lot of potential.

I'm thinking this will be a way to get around the problems of crafting bigger items like windmills or later on vehicles.

EskimoJoe said:

I would rather crafting be more like using the base materials. I'm not a fan of the Fallout way of "combine two to make one" rule.

I'm thinking like three cobble stone to fix a stone ax or maybe 2-3 iron to fix an iron axe. Or even getting what you put in...give one iron to fix 1/3 of the axe, 3 to fix it 100%.

bengraven said:
I'm thinking like three cobble stone to fix a stone ax or maybe 2-3 iron to fix an iron axe. Or even getting what you put in...give one iron to fix 1/3 of the axe, 3 to fix it 100%.
But then why wouldn't you just craft another axe?

Treefingers said:
But then why wouldn't you just craft another axe?
You wouldn't need a workbench or wood. Not a huge advantage, but better than nothing. Wood is often the reason I have to go back to the surface when mining.

Ark

The good news is:

There isn't any.

The bad news is:

Since Permissions 3.0 apparently doesn't work with Essentials any more I'm going to have to convert over to BukkitPermissions. So server downtime when I convert the Ark over will be extended.

Blizzard

Banned
If repairing literally just adds the durability values together, so a 25% axe plus a 25% axe = a 50% axe, then I see basically no reason to do it. The only advantage I could see would be melding armor to protect you from fall damage, or keeping a sword repaired so you don't accidentally run out of sword in the middle of a fight.

If repairing had some bonus durability value or a cheaper cost, then sure.

Venfayth

Blizzard said:
If repairing literally just adds the durability values together, so a 25% axe plus a 25% axe = a 50% axe, then I see basically no reason to do it. The only advantage I could see would be melding armor to protect you from fall damage, or keeping a sword repaired so you don't accidentally run out of sword in the middle of a fight.

If repairing had some bonus durability value or a cheaper cost, then sure.

notch Markus Persson
@
@CymonsGames If item 1 has 10 uses left, and item 2 has 10 uses left, you'll end up with something like 25 uses in the final product.
28 minutes ago

notch Markus Persson
Err, I meant 60% damage, not 40%. AAaaaanyway. #mathishard
36 minutes ago

notch Markus Persson
There's currently a 20% remaining uses bonus when repairing, but it doesn't work well as it encourages you to repair at exactly 40% damage.
40 minutes ago​

Yay indent tags. Anyway, have no fear.

Some additional information on repairing from Notch's Twitter
@notch
Originally, I wanted to have a repair table, but it's too annoying and you end up hoarding damaged items. (link)

There's currently a 20% remaining uses bonus when repairing, but it doesn't work well as it encourages you to repair at exactly [60%] damage. (link)

If item 1 has 10 uses left, and item 2 has 10 uses left, you'll end up with something like 25 uses in the final product. (link)

Edit: beaten

Anyways... I don't think it's a big enough bonus. Now I'm just going to save all my half broken items. Wish you could just combine raw materials to add durability back - here's to hoping he changes that.

Xiul

I wanted to make a house in town but i can't find a space left to do it inside the walls.

Can I move a wall or something, What can I do?
And everything out of town will be gone in the next update right?

Mengy

Houston3000 said:
Anyways... I don't think it's a big enough bonus. Now I'm just going to save all my half broken items. Wish you could just combine raw materials to add durability back - here's to hoping he changes that.

Here is a solution for repairing that I think would work better in game. Have a repair table that you craft within the workbench (maybe with 8 planks on the outside and 1 iron bar in the middle). Then to repair you put the tool in the repair table plus one resource. For example, a diamond pick currently has 1000 uses and takes 3 diamonds to make. That means you get 333.33 (repeating of course) uses per diamond. So if you repair the diamond pick with one diamond then just have it add 333 + 20% back to the tool (+400 uses). This encourages you to save badly worn tools while giving you a way to use diamonds more efficiently than just making an entirely new diamond pick with 3 new diamonds.

Similarly, an iron pick takes 3 iron to make and has 250 uses (83.33 uses per iron). So repairing an iron pick would take 1 worn iron pick + 1 iron and would add 100 uses to the tool.

Of course, tools like shovels that only take one resource would be a problem. Maybe that's why he is doing it the way he is? Eh, however he does it, it's more than we have now, so it's all good, lol.

kodt

Banned
Mengy said:
Here is a solution for repairing that I think would work better in game. Have a repair table that you craft within the workbench (maybe with 8 planks on the outside and 1 iron bar in the middle). Then to repair you put the tool in the repair table plus one resource. For example, a diamond pick currently has 1000 uses and takes 3 diamonds to make. That means you get 333.33 (repeating of course) uses per diamond. So if you repair the diamond pick with one diamond then just have it add 333 + 20% back to the tool (+400 uses). This encourages you to save badly worn tools while giving you a way to use diamonds more efficiently than just making an entirely new diamond pick with 3 new diamonds.

Similarly, an iron pick takes 3 iron to make and has 250 uses (83.33 uses per iron). So repairing an iron pick would take 1 worn iron pick + 1 iron and would add 100 uses to the tool.

Of course, tools like shovels that only take one resource would be a problem. Maybe that's why he is doing it the way he is? Eh, however he does it, it's more than we have now, so it's all good, lol.

That seems like a good system, but you aren't really gaining anything by repairing except you save a few sticks (which are so easy to get they almost count for nothing). If you can repair a pick to add 33% back, why not just use it up and create a new pick, you are getting the same number of uses overall.

This would be useful when you only have a few diamonds, but as soon as you have a good supply it would be easier to just make new items.

Instead of a percentage bonus, couldn't he do a flat bonus based on the components? (i.e., wood, stone, etc.)

That way you avoid the "sweet spot" of 60%.

I still don't much like this, though, as it means I still have to carry around wood to make new stuff once I run out of "doubles". Kind of defeats the purpose. Especially since I use stone tools 95% of the time. Ah well. Better than nothing.

kodt said:
That seems like a good system, but you aren't really gaining anything by repairing.
Yes you are. The 20% bonus he mentioned. It's actually (30*1.2)%=36%. Er, I think. Yes? Yes.

An extra 6% is a small number for wood tools but a huge number for diamond tools.

EVIL

Xiul said:
I wanted to make a house in town but i can't find a space left to do it inside the walls.

Can I move a wall or something, What can I do?
And everything out of town will be gone in the next update right?
Not sure what will happen with 1.9, anyway, there is still allot of room to build, if you stand at the well, move back a bit beyond the trading boards and then turn right there is a llot of ground there/ I also marked some lots you can claim if they aren't claimed yet

but be sure to build according to the building regulation posted on the well.

Jhriad

Ark said:
I just wish the 1.8 world would sync with a 1.9 world.

It'd just have chunk errors. Those aren't that big a deal.

Ark said:
EDIT: Two people have donated and not told me their names, so I haven't been able to add them. If you don't put your name in the donation message or PM me on GAF with 'MC server donation' in the title then how am I supposed to know who you are?

One of them was me. I can get you any information you'd need to verify if you need to verify that.

Mengy

kodt said:
That seems like a good system, but you aren't really gaining anything by repairing except you save a few sticks (which are so easy to get they almost count for nothing). If you can repair a pick to add 33% back, why not just use it up and create a new pick, you are getting the same number of uses overall.

This would be useful when you only have a few diamonds, but as soon as you have a good supply it would be easier to just make new items.

Um, no. In my system you are getting more uses for your materials, not just same uses. Each pick resource would add back 40% instead of the normal 33%. With a sword, you would get back 60% instead of the normal 50% per resource. It would just give a small incentive to reuse old tools rather than use them up or throw them away.

Ark

Billychu said:
You have my donation, right? I remember putting my GAF and MC names on it, but I could be wrong.

Velociraptorbill? Yes. The chat system in-game appears to be broken but the permissions are still working fine, so you are actually a donator rank now.

Drazgul

Strength buffs when it's already trivial to kill any mob in the game with a diamond sword? Hope mobs get a HP boost so the potions actually have a use.

spuit*11

Banned
Drazgul said:
Strength buffs when it's already trivial to kill any mob in the game with a diamond sword? Hope mobs get a HP boost so the potions actually have a use.
I guess when you have a 30 block long dragon raping the village you just spend 200 hours on perfecting it will make a little bit more sense. But yeah, until that time.

Btw. second part of that Industrialcraft/Buildcraft Yogscast Mod Spotlight is up. These are some pretty impressive mods.

Venfayth

Thought this looked pretty damn cool. Got to the end of a long tunnel to pitch blackness, then I looked down:

AyxDLl.jpg

The full version http://i.imgur.com/AyxDL.jpg

Unicorn

Does the game crash a lot for anybody else? I'm lucky to play for 5 minutes straight before the window just closes and some .txt error file shows up in the folder with the mc.exe.

At first, I thought it was because I was going into fullscreen with full draw distance, but it does it even at default window size.

Kalnos

Banned
Just let them only move blocks placed by the player (so they don't erode the Earth, which is worse) and just let players build moats if they really want to protect their precious buildings. Alternatively, just tell them to play creative/peaceful.

mandiller

Here are a few pictures from Neocraft from the last two days. I recently discovered a huge cave filled with monsters and found my first diamond (finally!). There was a clump on 9 diamonds, which is more than I could have hoped for.

DzRiE.jpg

HwHAm.jpg

9tVJ7.jpg

4WItr.jpg

Nsl2D.jpg

uVbBW.jpg

dhw92.jpg

mandiller said:
Here are a few pictures from Neocraft from the last two days. I recently discovered a huge cave filled with monsters and found my first diamond (finally!). There was a clump on 9 diamonds, which is more than I could have hoped for.

DzRiE.jpg

This is from my wheat harvester just out of the south gate that I just finished. Pistons hold back water while the wheat grows. Once grown, the water is released collecting all seeds and wheat down to one area. There are also strips of water underneath each of the walking paths on the growing area. This helps the wheat to grow. Here are the shots:

1QLUH.jpg

ddxfD.jpg

Collection area:
ji6xU.png

E70H0.jpg

Kalnos said:
Just let them only move blocks placed by the player (so they don't erode the Earth, which is worse) and just let players build moats if they really want to protect their precious buildings. Alternatively, just tell them to play creative/peaceful.
Billychu said:
Let them move blocks that aren't placed by the player. Or give the player a way to repel them.
Mirk said:
I hope he adds invisibility to them. So like once you look at them they get pissed and go invisible on you.
The bolded are the correct choices. All of them.

But it won't happen, so whatever.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hope notch makes a even harsher mode, that is more geared towards survival. Make things actually effect the terrain and your buildings. I like how in the Nether the Ghasts can destroy stuff you built.

Ranger X

I don't really believe the eroding thing and anyways there's an easy solution to it.
The real problem was that the block in the hand of the endermen is vanishing when he dies. It's the only thing he should have fixed. Make so when the endermen dies, the block he had in hand is "teleported" at its feet. Problem solved.

Kuran

Banned
Drkirby said:
I hope notch makes a even harsher mode, that is more geared towards survival. Make things actually effect the terrain and your buildings. I like how in the Nether the Ghasts can destroy stuff you built.

This. I want floods, whirlwinds, hurricanes... probably impossible to do in the engine's current state.. but it would be great if the world and structures needed some sort of upkeep.

Do the endermen spawn randomly now? This whole thing could be fixed if they appeared at specific times, in dark and unlit areas, or perhaps in specific biomes.

Or maybe there could be a 'endermoon' on random nights, which would call forth the endermen.

mcrae

im about half-way done building a public industrial size wheat farm. theres about 120 stalks planted right now (which i stole from community chests...) and total capacity will be about 840. only the right side is rigged right now, hit the switch at the upper right, on the stone pillar, and the pistons will retract allowing the water to flood the area and bring all the wheat and seeds to the collection point at the bottom in the middle.

remember to re-plant seeds, or at very least leave them in a chest. leave any wheat/bread you wont use in a chest too.

if anyone wants to donate some or redstone (~180 total still needed) leave it in a chest near the one with my name on it... cheers !

its at ~-440, 435, and is surrounded by a dirt wall so creepers dont walk on the plants. its near a big mushroom tower and a fenced-inn cobblestone building, just out of Pioneer town.

ggMbv.jpg

edit: the switch doesnt work anymore since i went to change things but then ran out of redstone :/ bed time!

Top Bottom