• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, I have a Neocraft question. If the Ark is coming to the current 1.8.1 server map tomorrow (Thursday), does that mean that we are keeping this map no matter what 1.9 brings, even if we get chunk border errors and even if our nether is seriously screwed up? Or will we be moving the Ark again once 1.9 hits to another new server map?

I'd love to start in on my next big project, but if we are going to wipe the map again then I'm just going to go spelunking and resource gathering to start stocking up for it instead of start building it. Need more coal...

Takuya

Banned
The only thing about that farm is that it doesn't prevent animals from spawning and running over them, effectively destroying the crops.

I'd do the endermen like this:

Make them rare.

Make them immune to weather like creepers, but leave their other characteristics as is.

They can only use their block moving ability when they are attacking the player.

And for extra fun:

They can't kill the player directly, but their attack consists of summoning a stream of mobs (1 every 5 - 10 seconds) until the enderman is killed.

bengraven

I want Endermooons now.

One night a week where the only enemies are Endermen, really tough Endermen who can teleport to you, no matter how high up you are, even passing through walls.

Make C418 or whatever his name is make a really eerie tune to go with it.

Minecraft need another mode (aside from creative or survival) to allow or not other mobs modify the scenary (including creepers).

I understand that most people want to play survival, but without enderman destroying their houses, or creepers at the doors. But I'd love to play zombie or enderman sieges.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well this is interesting. Notch has apparently made the experience orbs also count for score points:

sejBR.png

Also, I like that hardcore mode's "DELETE WORLD" button after you die, LOL! Bring it on!!!

DangerousDave said:
Minecraft need another mode (aside from creative or survival) to allow or not other mobs modify the scenary (including creepers).

I understand that most people want to play survival, but without enderman destroying their houses, or creepers at the doors. But I'd love to play zombie or enderman sieges.

Siege mode sounds awesome. you spawn in an npc village and have to defend yourself and the inhabitants from mobs which spawn 2x as frequently as survival or something. Your score (which is now unused for anything EDIT: I say just as notch makes use of it again :S) goes up based on how many enemies you kill and you get daily bonuses for the npcs you've managed to keep alive. Perhaps shorten day time in that mode as a sort of grace period where you rush around like a headless chicken, fixing defences and whatnot. The only problem I can think of is surrounding houses with cacti would be impenetrable unless endermen logic is changed to go for those blocks over others.

Glasswork

I got tired of trying to spawn a big enough desert world where I could build a city and not see dense forestery in every direction, so I, using a seed I found on reddit for a base (it was a rather big island with a mainland close by) made my very own desert island!
zfHRal.jpg

It's not actually very big, but it's surrounded by sea and you can't see the mainland, it also has an abandoned mine somewhere below it (I saw it while mceditting but haven't found it in the game)

I actually replaced the underground with sandstone because I don't want to spawn any, although I'm using the Equivelent Exchange mod to get the items I normally wouldn't be able to get in a desert island.

The weird trees you see there are the Mcedit palm trees, I'm planning on leaving most of them there as they can't be replanted, I've got a few saplings from the mainland for my wooden needs :]

Probably gonna expand someday, into the sea to the north and east, but for now it's very noice.

Mengy said:
Well this is interesting. Notch has apparently made the experience orbs also count for score points:

[img ]http://i.imgur.com/sejBR.png[/img ]

Also, I like that hardcore mode's "DELETE WORLD" button after you die, LOL! Bring it on!!!

Ha ha that's awesome!

Yeah I'm definitely going to have hardcore games going along side my normal one, once version 1.10 hits. The rule will be, I am only allowed to play it when I've got in after a night down the pub. I predict I'll last less than 1 hour each time :lol

todahawk

Glasswork said:
I got tired of trying to spawn a big enough desert world where I could build a city and not see dense forestery in every direction, so I, using a seed I found on reddit for a base (it was a rather big island with a mainland close by) made my very own desert island!

It's not actually very big, but it's surrounded by sea and you can't see the mainland, it also has an abandoned mine somewhere below it (I saw it while mceditting but haven't found it in the game)

I actually replaced the underground with sandstone because I don't want to spawn any, although I'm using the Equivelent Exchange mod to get the items I normally wouldn't be able to get in a desert island.

The weird trees you see there are the Mcedit palm trees, I'm planning on leaving most of them there as they can't be replanted, I've got a few saplings from the mainland for my wooden needs :]

Probably gonna expand someday, into the sea to the north and east, but for now it's very noice.

Could you share that seed?

seb

Banned
Mengy said:

sejBR.png

It gives you the option of killing the minecraft process without pressing the button though. Not so hardcore :p

Kuran

Banned
bengraven said:
I want Endermooons now.

One night a week where the only enemies are Endermen, really tough Endermen who can teleport to you, no matter how high up you are, even passing through walls.

Make C418 or whatever his name is make a really eerie tune to go with it.

Haha, yeah.. we should all tweet notch, or maybe get Deadmau5 on board. Notch seems to listen to Deadmau5.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
onken said:
Do the ender pearls do anything right now?
They are how you make Endermen stop chasing you. I think you right click on them with it. Doesn't stop them from moving blocks though.

Symphonic

mandiller said:
Here are a few pictures from Neocraft from the last two days. I recently discovered a huge cave filled with monsters and found my first diamond (finally!). There was a clump on 9 diamonds, which is more than I could have hoped for.

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before, but what skin is that?

rezuth

Kuran said:
This. I want floods, whirlwinds, hurricanes... probably impossible to do in the engine's current state.. but it would be great if the world and structures needed some sort of upkeep.

Do the endermen spawn randomly now? This whole thing could be fixed if they appeared at specific times, in dark and unlit areas, or perhaps in specific biomes.

Or maybe there could be a 'endermoon' on random nights, which would call forth the endermen.
Its doable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYXvErwkUi0

Kuran

Banned
rezuth said:

That is nice, would look incredible if it wasn't a bright sunny day.. during a thunderstorm or heavy rain/dense clouds it would probably look incredible.

Is it just me? Every time I see a mod like this I assume Notch will (because of the mod's existence) never implement said feature in the main game.

That industrial mod that adds oil, rubber, electricity, etc. to the game is also something that seems like a logical expansion to the game. Some of these mod's authors have done such terrific and detailed work that I can't imagine Notch implementing it in a different way. And he obviously can't just take their work and merge it in the official release.

If anything these fantastic community efforts show me that Mojang isn't doing enough. (Considering they have millions of euros in community funding.) Lone bedroom coders seem to be taking bigger leaps by themselves. Hire these people!

I really love the idea of disasters and enemies in game who can destroy/mess up your creations, but I know I'm definitely part of the minority on this one. Hopefully they some day get officially added, with a toggle like structures have to satisfy the majority who wouldn't like it.

Vlad

Kuran said:
That is nice, would look incredible if it wasn't a bright sunny day.. during a thunderstorm or heavy rain/dense clouds it would probably look incredible.

Is it just me? Every time I see a mod like this I assume Notch will (because of the mod's existence) never implement said feature in the main game.

That industrial mod that adds oil, rubber, electricity, etc. to the game is also something that seems like a logical expansion to the game. Some of these mod's authors have done such terrific and detailed work that I can't imagine Notch implementing it in a different way. And he obviously can't just take their work and merge it in the official release.

If anything these fantastic community efforts show me that Mojang isn't doing enough. (Considering they have millions of euros in community funding.) Lone bedroom coders seem to be taking bigger leaps by themselves. Hire these people!

Why not? It's been done before, such as with the smooth lighting and pistons.

If anything, I'd say that Better Than Wolves has the best shot of making it in the game proper one day, simply because it goes better with the existing MC world. As much as I love Buildcraft, it seems a little too "high tech" for MC.

LilZippa

Acullis said:
Thought this looked pretty damn cool. Got to the end of a long tunnel to pitch blackness, then I looked down:

Yeah the first one i came across with lava and water pouring into it looked really similar. I love the ravines and the noises coming from the dark bits.

Ark

Mengy said:
So, I have a Neocraft question. If the Ark is coming to the current 1.8.1 server map tomorrow (Thursday), does that mean that we are keeping this map no matter what 1.9 brings, even if we get chunk border errors and even if our nether is seriously screwed up? Or will we be moving the Ark again once 1.9 hits to another new server map?

I'd love to start in on my next big project, but if we are going to wipe the map again then I'm just going to go spelunking and resource gathering to start stocking up for it instead of start building it. Need more coal...

What you have posted is the most likely solution. So consider our 1.8.1 world a 'temporary' world until 1.9 hits. At least 1.9 should be here in a few weeks at most I hope :)

I'm also holding off on my mega-project until 1.9 hits too.

Jhriad

Ark said:
So consider our 1.8.1 world a 'temporary' world until 1.9 hits.

So yet another month of gathering materials. Bleh. And I just got 3 friends and my roommate on the server. Now I get to explain that they shouldn't build anything and have them quit in response. The joy, it is immense.

OnPoint

Regarding the Endermen issue: My friend put this suggestion on Reddit. We're hoping Notch picks it up.

Endermen could spawn just as they usually do, but there could be special chunks (like slime chunks) where Endermen choose a spot, underground or above ground, to build an Enderhive. This gives some narrative to the block-taking behavior.

Endermen will only take surface-feature blocks (dirt, sand, gravel, stone). This fixes a lot of frustration. If they're in a non-special chunk, they'd put down the blocks where they normally do. But in a special chunk, they'd begin to build (or excavate underground) an Enderhive which is basically a dungeon.

When the Enderhive is done, it becomes a fully functional Dungeon with an exit, and Endermen will put down an Endermen spawner and a dungeon chest with items (Ender Pearls, rare items, etc).

You can take out the dungeon and spawner, and tear down (or fill in) the dungeon, and over time the Endermen will rebuild it again. It's a renewable dungeon!

Also, Endermen could exhibit Zombie Pigmen behavior, where if you siege an Endermen dungeon, or kill an Enderman, they go aggro toward you. I don't know if the "stare at Endermen, they go aggro" is part of the nerfing or not.

Anyway, I wanted to put in my 2 cents and hope that Mojang might see this. I know that whatever they do with Endermen will be the right thing.

Ark

Jhriad said:
So yet another month of gathering materials. Bleh. And I just got 3 friends and my roommate on the server. Now I get to explain that they shouldn't build anything and have them quit in response. The joy, it is immense.

Ultimately, it comes down to whether you want to play a gimped Minecraft map (No snow biomes in 1.8 remember) that'll be chunk error'd into the next millennia come 1.9 or we just wait it out.

Personally I think waiting it out is the best option, but of course it comes down to the community vote.

onken

Ark said:
What you have posted is the most likely solution. So consider our 1.8.1 world a 'temporary' world until 1.9 hits. At least 1.9 should be here in a few weeks at most I hope :)

I'm also holding off on my mega-project until 1.9 hits too.

Damn I thought this might be the case, may as well just quit my project now :(

Jhriad

Why we'd wait:

Nether Update
Snow Biomes
Chunk Errors
Mushroom Biomes
NPCs in Villages

Did I miss anything big? So far as I'm aware the Nether part could be fixed simply by deleting our current Nether (which should probably be done anyways since it's from the old map). The two biomes could still exist on our current map you'd just need to expand out to them. That leaves chunk errors and NPCs that currently have no use.

limlark

Ark said:
Ultimately, it comes down to whether you want to play a gimped Minecraft map (No snow biomes in 1.8 remember) that'll be chunk error'd into the next millennia come 1.9 or we just wait it out.

Personally I think waiting it out is the best option, but of course it comes down to the community vote.

I vote 'wait, and trim unbuilt-on areas of the map with extreme prejudice.'

Ark

Jhriad said:
Did I miss anything big? So far as I'm aware the Nether part could be fixed simply by deleting our current Nether (which should probably be done anyways since it's from the old map). The two biomes could still exist on our current map you'd just need to expand out to them. That leaves chunk errors and NPCs that currently have no use.

Like I said, comes down to what you guys want. I'd be happy to make the decision, but I'm no dictator :p

OnPoint said:
Regarding the Endermen issue: My friend put this suggestion on Reddit. We're hoping Notch picks it up.

This is an awesome idea, although I hope he keeps the current method of Endermen aggro. When I heard Endermen could move blocks, I was really hoping they'd be able to build things, rather than just sprinkle stuff around to the wrong spot. Hopefully something like this is implemented. I love the sound of an Enderhive.

Kuran

Banned
Vlad said:
Why not? It's been done before, such as with the smooth lighting and pistons.

If anything, I'd say that Better Than Wolves has the best shot of making it in the game proper one day, simply because it goes better with the existing MC world. As much as I love Buildcraft, it seems a little too "high tech" for MC.

Fingers crossed!

Jhriad

Ark said:
Like I said, comes down to what you guys want. I'd be happy to make the decision, but I'm no dictator :p

*gasp* My god you're EVIL! Get your pitchforks everyone! :D

I'd say just trim the unbuilt-on areas back. Aggressively even. If folks don't like chunk errors we can always terraform them away. The eastern exploration & northeastern bit look clear of building so those could probably go. The tiny one to the west of the main village as well. Could even clear most of the way between me and spawn out the stuff west of the desert next to where I'm at since I think that's empty.

That plus deleting the Nether would be good enough.

EDIT: I think I see a small building on the night version of the map in the eastern exploration. So that'd need to be trimmed around depending on what the owner wants I suppose.

mcrae

Jhriad said:
*gasp* My god you're EVIL! Get your pitchforks everyone! :D

I'd say just trim the unbuilt-on areas back. Aggressively even. If folks don't like chunk errors we can always terraform them away. The eastern exploration & northeastern bit look clear of building so those could probably go. The tiny one to the west of the main village as well. Could even clear most of the way between me and spawn out the stuff west of the desert next to where I'm at since I think that's empty.

That plus deleting the Nether would be good enough.

EDIT: I think I see a small building on the night version of the map in the eastern exploration. So that'd need to be trimmed around depending on what the owner wants I suppose.

i vote for this. terraforming chunk errors away shouldnt be hard at all, and who wants to just go spelunking for an entire month

seb said:
It gives you the option of killing the minecraft process without pressing the button though. Not so hardcore :p

I could be wrong, but I thought that if you kill the process on the death screen without respawning, you come back to a death screen, no?

There's only so much you can terraform. It's still always going to be obvious and ugly when the chunks don't mesh properly. Especially with snow and swamp.

Jhriad said:
I don't understand why your friends are such sillies. Why can't they just build something in that month, and then be happy that they built it? Who cares if it's not permanent? They still built it. I'm sure even the temp world is going to be uploaded for all to download, so they'll still get to keep it as proof.

The only thing a new world means is a fresh start. An opportunity to make what you made before but even better.

HappyBivouac said:
I could be wrong, but I thought that if you kill the process on the death screen without respawning, you come back to a death screen, no?

You probably do. No reason you can't just copy the world files though. If I am not mistaken the game state/character state stuff is saved separately. So if you die, copy the map, but you will probably have to start over with no items in your inventory or something.

upandaway

OnPoint said:
Awesome but only if the Endermen DO pick up valuable blocks and not just dirt and stone. At the end of the dungeon there could be a pile of all the awesome blocks like diamond, gold and iron. As long as they're not human-placed.

Could be even awesome-er if there was a Super Enderman guarding that pile.

Actually, I always wanted some type of enemy which collects valuable blocks and piles them up deep into a dungeon. Ever since I started Minecraft really. I think Endermen are perfect for that.

I don't really know if the Endermen issue would be fixed by a change that makes it so they can't pick up player placed blocks. When I build, I extensively use the environment around me as parts of my construction. Those blocks would still be up for grabs by the endermen. I think a better solution is to have them not pick up blocks in lit areas and not be able to pick up certain types of blocks like smooth stone or bricks.

upandaway

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I don't really know if the Endermen issue would be fixed by a change that makes it so they can't pick up player placed blocks. When I build, I extensively use the environment around me as parts of my construction. Those blocks would still be up for grabs by the endermen. I think a better solution is to have them not pick up blocks in lit areas and not be able to pick up certain types of blocks like smooth stone or bricks.
Wait huh?

I thought the only problem with them was ruining things the players already built. We're talking about maybe 3 or 4 blocks every big while which don't even disappear, they just get placed elsewhere. You can just travel 2 more steps to spawn x50 more blocks than what they can take from you.

Jhriad

Togglesworlh said:
There's only so much you can terraform. It's still always going to be obvious and ugly when the chunks don't mesh properly. Especially with snow and swamp.

It'll still be noticeable but it's hardly an experience killer especially if it's terraformed. If you've played SMP for any real length of time you get used to chunk errors to some degree.

Togglesworlh said:
Why can't they just build something in that month, and then be happy that they built it? Who cares if it's not permanent?

People have a limited amount of time to do whatever they want/need to do. The time until 1.9 releases and Bukkit & requisite mods are updated is indeterminate. Would you play Mass Effect 3, for example, if you were told 'Hey at some indeterminate point in the game you're going to be forced to start over. It's an opportunity to do what you did before but even better!' Most people wouldn't. I've already waited a month to start building anything significant on Neocraft and personally I'm not really interested in waiting even longer.

Also if we keep going down this particular rabbit hole what's stopping us from doing the whole wait forever & restarting the map rigamarole yet AGAIN when the "Release" version hits. At some point with SMP you have to decide THIS is where we start and we'll live with the chunk errors and minor differences. If you want to be up to date with the product and start fresh repeatedly you play Single Player not SMP.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
My thought with Endermen is that they should, when passive, only pick up surface blocks (i.e. above them is air) and just examine/admire them for a moment before putting them right back. (And if they die, the block is "dropped" back in place.) That way they keep their behavior but don't impact the terrain.

....Until you aggro them. Then they will tear through any terrain, tossing blocks aside to get to you. Hop a fence? They'll rip up the fence. Go into your base? They'll tear down the walls.

Don't interact with them and they won't have any impact. Interact with them and they will tear up the earth to kill you. Just like Creepers.

Jhriad said:
At some point with SMP you have to decide THIS is where we start and we'll live with the chunk errors and minor differences.
You do? Huh. News to me. There are plenty of servers out there that start new worlds all the time, and they get along perfectly fine.

Atomski

Togglesworlh said:
You do? Huh. News to me. There are plenty of servers out there that start new worlds all the time, and they get along perfectly fine.
People here are to uptight about losing stuff they build. Its kind of annoying..

I love starting a new world everytime a patch hits.. but I guess I enjoy more exploring than building junk. Hell when I do build stuff it tends to be underground where no one can see it anyways.

Jhriad

Togglesworlh said:

And those cater to a different demographic of the Minecraft userbase. They're not building large community/solo projects that take weeks or months to complete usually. Perfectly acceptable but not what Neocraft (and most of the other Neogaf servers previous to it) have been about.

Atomski said:
People here are to uptight about losing stuff they build. Its kind of annoying..

When what you're building takes weeks or even months to build (depending on how much free time an individual or group has) it sucks to lose it in the middle of building.

Top Bottom