• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Jhriad said:
And those cater to a different demographic of the Minecraft userbase. They're not building large community/solo projects that take weeks or months to complete usually. Perfectly acceptable but not what Neocraft (and most of the other Neogaf servers previous to it) have been about.
Some of 'em are.

Nuke the shit out of the world every other week. It's the only way to be.

Venfayth

Togglesworlh said:
Some of 'em are.

Nuke the shit out of the world every other week. It's the only way to be.

Doesn't sound like fun to me. I work hard on the superprojects I've done in the past, I don't want them to disappear or be destroyed after two weeks.

Grinchy

Banned
CrAzYLeGzLU said:
If we decide to live in a village in the 1.9 world are we going to kill all the NPCs or try to cooexist?
If coexisting were the decision, someone would just kill them as a way to grief anyway lol

The seed "gimmeabreak" for 1.9 is amazing. You start in a middle of a big town, and you have plenty of dungeons near to explore (and a good plain to build).

I killed all the village NPC to check if they respawn and it seems that they don't.

EVIL

I'd rather keep the current world, trim it a bit and terraform the landscape to blend in the new biomes.

This request is purely selfish tho since I found a nice island I decided to call home on the old bemu warp and I put allot of effort in the home I am building there. (lots of wood cobble and coal to bake to smooth stone and rock.)

Ark

EVIL said:
I'd rather keep the current world, trim it a bit and terraform the landscape to blend in the new biomes.

This request is purely selfish tho since I found a nice island I decided to call home on the old bemu warp and I put allot of effort in the home I am building there. (lots of wood cobble and coal to bake to smooth stone and rock.)

I'm happy to do this. Regardless of what happens, my mega-project is going to have to wait until 1.9 :(

bengraven

We could just move the Ark into place and say this is a stop on the way to the new world.

That said, I think we should all just agree not to venture too far from spawn. Or we'll cut the errored areas and move spawn when 1.9 hits.

I want to build a huge spawn around a village with actual NPCs walking around, I don't know about anyone else.

Ark

How about we say that you are required to only build near the spawn and the Pioneer village? Anything too far out will be destroyed regardless of reason.

Once 1.9 hits, we'll all be happy Larry's like before again.

That is of course, presuming that 2.0 doesn't have a similar affect :lol

+1 vote to keeping a small section of the current map if new terrain generation and terraforming is possible around it. I'm currently woking on the Tower of Plenty (tiered farming tower) which is coming along quite nicely now. I do have a Pyramid City mega-project planned, but I'm happy to wait until 1.9 for that.

Ark said:
I'm happy to do this. Regardless of what happens, my mega-project is going to have to wait until 1.9 :(
Thing is I can imagine a similar scenario to what's happening now for the patch that follows 1.9 (which to my understanding Notch has already referenced?).

Mojang seem to be ramping up development before Minecon so I wouldn't expect us to stop playing catch up anytime soon. I would rather clip the map as necessary and then do another wipe when the official release hits.

EDIT: yeah beaten lol. Also +1 for NPC village spawn idea.

Ark

Just a quick note:

Server will be down from 6pm BST until around 10-11pm BST tomorrow, Thursday 29/9/2011

I'll bring over the two Ark's and get dug down into this whole new permissions lark as well. Also, CreativeGates is back on the server (water portal mod thing a few of you saw me playing around with before), so I guess I'll slap up a couple of those too.

bengraven

Ark said:
How about we say that you are required to only build near the spawn and the Pioneer village? Anything too far out will be destroyed regardless of reason.

And since 1.9 is hitting soon, I think people can relax. We should be running the server on 1.9 within 3 weeks if my estimate is right.

Grinchy

Banned
I only used a small portion of my 1.8 map before Pre-1.9 came out. I know this isn't everyone's experience, but the transition from 1.8 terrain to 1.9 terrain has been completely seamless in my world.

I have what feels like a 5 minute minecart ride to get to my snow biome, but other than that no complaints. If I need to go back to my older area to grab something, it's like a wasted day in-game lol.

You guys have probably already covered way more ground than I did in 1.8 though.

mcrae

Ark said:
Just a quick note:

Server will be down from 6pm BST until around 10-11pm BST tomorrow, Thursday 29/9/2011

I'll bring over the two Ark's and get dug down into this whole new permissions lark as well. Also, CreativeGates is back on the server (water portal mod thing a few of you saw me playing around with before), so I guess I'll slap up a couple of those too.

any word on the possibility of including that redstone mod you linked earlier? would be awesome.

Grinchy

Banned
Drazgul said:
Gah, don't say that! I rushed to check right away and was very disappointed. :p

(No the pre-release doesn't count)
lol sometimes i just assume everyone's on the same page

I went back and added a "Pre-"

bengraven

I had a pretty radical idea for a single/multiplayer game mode. This could be done with some friends even now on a shared server, but the rules should be followed.

Wagontrain

You start off with nothing but a compass at spawn, with several of your friends. You start moving in one chosen fixed direction, let's say North.

Rules are:

- Don't falter from the path, don't move too far away from the group. In the end, the map should look like a long, thin but knotted rope.

- At night you HAVE to stop. Create a fire if you have lighters or blocks, throw down some torches, then defend yourself against the onslaught of enemies until sunrise or near sunrise - whenever you feel it's safe to keep moving.

- if you find a cavern as you travel, you HAVE to stop. At this point you can build a settlement around the cavern and mine until you feel like you've wiped that mine clean. At that point, real life hours, days, maybe months later, you move again.

- you can ONLY put beds in settlements, not camps. If you die, you return to the last settlement or spawn and have to go catch up with your friends.

- when you leave a settlement, you can only take what you can carry until Notch adds in a caravan or pack mule, or mods do. You have to leave what you can't carry behind. Or just share the load with others who might not have as much.

- if you have railroad tracks, you can link settlements, just try not to waste too much time building bridges. Night is falling!

- as I said, when you look at the map, it should be like ------O--------O-------O with the dashes being the thin trail and the "O"s being the settlements you build.

- you can leave people behind if they'd rather stay in a settlement for a while, but if they get bored they should move on and find you again. What you can't do is leave people behind because they're building without having found a cavern. Don't leave a man behind! Don't slow down! Find a cavern!

I don't know when the game would stop, this is all I have brainstormed today. But reading two books: one on the Oregon trail and the other being Lonesome Dove about a cattle drive, I think this would be totally awesome to try out.

EVIL

Ark said:

but but.. my island.. *tears*

Xun

Ark said:
I'm curious as to what your mega-project is, but I know you won't divulge in information. :p

bengraven said:
Wagontrain description

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun. You could do it without the compass to be honest. Use the clouds direction to orient yourselves etc. I would imagine the mass slaughter of chickens on the first days travel would be pretty hilarious to watch :lol

Drazgul

Grinchy said:
lol sometimes i just assume everyone's on the same page

Yeah still playing 1.7.3 for now with some mods:

http://imgur.com/a/LcgeO

First two pics are of my automated glowstone factory (glowstone blocks are first converted into dust, 1/4 of which is rerouted back to the glowstone aggregators to generate more glowstone blocks), then the chests where the glowstone blocks end up. 4th pic is my automated macerator factory (turns each ore block into two dusts, and each dust can be smelted into a single bar) and last pic of my 'mining' area - Equivalent Exchange sure makes mining fun when you can blast a 64-deep 3x3 area at once.

bengraven

Barberetti said:
That sounds like it would be a lot of fun. You could do it without the compass to be honest. Use the clouds direction to orient yourselves etc. I would imagine the mass slaughter of chickens on the first days travel would be pretty hilarious to watch :lol

If everyone followed the rules it would be totally awesome.

The best part would be the sense of always having a new place to look forward to.

Jhriad

bengraven said:
And since 1.9 is hitting soon, I think people can relax. We should be running the server on 1.9 within 3 weeks if my estimate is right.

We've been waiting a month already, 3 more weeks is just extending this out too far. Where does it stop? We're just going to be playing perpetual catch up at this rate, waiting for the next patch to hit. Just cull out the areas that aren't being used right now and we'll deal with any chunk errors as needed.

Cool use for Ender Pearls, apparently confirmed by notch on Reddit. If you throw a Pearl (like a snowball, I guess), you get instantly teleported to it! Seems really, really cool. Imagine using that to climb mountains and escape ravines! Or if you were fighting someone then POOF! You're behind them.

EskimoJoe said:
Cool use for Ender Pearls, apparently confirmed by notch on Reddit. If you throw a Pearl (like a snowball, I guess), you get instantly teleported to it! Seems really, really cool. Imagine using that to climb mountains and escape ravines! Or if you were fighting someone then POOF! You're behind them.
WAT

EVIL

EskimoJoe said:
freaking awesome!

Grinchy

Banned
That endermen pearl use is a great idea.

I have now thrown 15 eggs into the room I meant to use as a chicken coup...and not a single chicken has hatched...am I doing it wrong?

Grinchy said:
That endermen pearl use is a great idea.

I have now thrown 15 eggs into the room I meant to use as a chicken coup...and not a single chicken has hatched...am I doing it wrong?
Throw as in right click, not q

Emitan

EskimoJoe said:
Holy shit. r/Minecraft is the only subreddit I really go to anymore and I still miss all this stuff!

bengraven said:
I had a pretty radical idea for a single/multiplayer game mode. This could be done with some friends even now on a shared server, but the rules should be followed.

Wagontrain

You start off with nothing but a compass at spawn, with several of your friends. You start moving in one chosen fixed direction, let's say North.

Rules are:

- Don't falter from the path, don't move too far away from the group. In the end, the map should look like a long, thin but knotted rope.

- At night you HAVE to stop. Create a fire if you have lighters or blocks, throw down some torches, then defend yourself against the onslaught of enemies until sunrise or near sunrise - whenever you feel it's safe to keep moving.

- if you find a cavern as you travel, you HAVE to stop. At this point you can build a settlement around the cavern and mine until you feel like you've wiped that mine clean. At that point, real life hours, days, maybe months later, you move again.

- you can ONLY put beds in settlements, not camps. If you die, you return to the last settlement or spawn and have to go catch up with your friends.

- when you leave a settlement, you can only take what you can carry until Notch adds in a caravan or pack mule, or mods do. You have to leave what you can't carry behind. Or just share the load with others who might not have as much.

- if you have railroad tracks, you can link settlements, just try not to waste too much time building bridges. Night is falling!

- as I said, when you look at the map, it should be like ------O--------O-------O with the dashes being the thin trail and the "O"s being the settlements you build.

- you can leave people behind if they'd rather stay in a settlement for a while, but if they get bored they should move on and find you again. What you can't do is leave people behind because they're building without having found a cavern. Don't leave a man behind! Don't slow down! Find a cavern!

I don't know when the game would stop, this is all I have brainstormed today. But reading two books: one on the Oregon trail and the other being Lonesome Dove about a cattle drive, I think this would be totally awesome to try out.
That is an amazing idea. X:

Grinchy

Banned
CrunchyFrog said:
Throw as in right click, not q
haha well yeah I'd still have all my eggs if I was just hitting q.

I hatched a couple chicks without meaning to along the way, just throwing eggs because I had no use for them. Now that I want them to hatch, I can't get one to and I'm out of eggs. Why does life have to be so hard.

L00P

Man, I like wolves, but they are so dumb! Most of the wolves I've tamed earlier all died from creeper explosions. I fucking raged when one wolf I've been searching for DAYS
in minecraft time
gets blown up by a creeper a few moments later. One wolf managed to drown itself for some dumbass reason.

They also teleport in the wrong fucking time. I accidentally killed one when it teleported right in front of me while I was fighting off a skeleton. What a douche!

Wild wolves also have a habit a appearing when I don't need to tame one. But when you start looking for em...GODDAMN!

They're so freakin' fragile and useless...but wandering isn't just the same without doggy companions following you. I hope they become more useful in the near future...

onken

Ark said:

Yes let's do this :D

bengraven

EskimoJoe said:

This is the coolest thing ever.

This is also helpful if you find one of those deep, black holes in dungeons with no way of getting down except falling and possibly dying or cutting away at the edges. In this case, just throw the pearl down until it hits the bottom and ding!

Togglesworlh said:
That is an amazing idea. X:

One of these days I'll start a server.

Top Bottom