• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Wool

blamite said:
Creepermoon.png

I made this avatar just now, but I don't think I'm gonna use it. whoever wants it can grab it, although you should probably rehost it yourself.

Rehosted and used, thanks much!

parasight

Branduil said:
I finally finished my floating garden in Ocean Town on animalboogy's server.

My favorite place to visit on the server. It's a work of art. Congratulations on finishing it. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Timan

Developer
Exano said:
Are you guys experiencing any type of preformance hits from it? thats really whats stopping me from attempting it, im afraid of lag and such.

Havn't noticed any yet, Will let you know later today when the traffic comes on at its normal times :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had great fun on exano's server yesterday, fleshed out my house nicely. Made a few trenches to keep out creepers but still get lots of spiders even with overhangs.

BTW, does the exano server have some anti-creeper mods on it? Every time I nearly kill a creeper, or it starts hissing, it just disappears. Is that deliberate to protect from someone accidentally blowing up someone else's building? I don't mind too much, server lag can make fighting creepers a bit hit and miss.

Blackface

Banned
Got a question. Recently grabbed the game with some friends. It's so much fucking fun.

That said, after getting admin on someone we knows server anfd fucking around for a couple days. We are going to play legit. Start with nothing and go from there.

Is there any way to change where you spawn? Or somehow find your way back to your team easier.

Also, I tried to use the texture pack recommended a few pages back and heavily used. I installed the HD one prior. However, I can't find my minecraft.jar. If it's the default file that is downloaded, when I open it, none of the folders it is says to install stuff into (like the texture one) are there.

I am using Windows 7. Anyone got any tips?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not sure about any server mods etc, but I think standard ones you can use /tp to teleport to another players location. Some servers have /sethome or /home set which I think sets your spawn point.

Darias

Also, I tried to use the texture pack recommended a few pages back and heavily used. I installed the HD one prior. However, I can't find my minecraft.jar. If it's the default file that is downloaded, when I open it, none of the folders it is says to install stuff into (like the texture one) are there.

Start minecraft. Click the 'Open Texture Library Folder' button, whatever it is... it's right under Multiplayer.

Place the entire zip that you downloaded in that folder.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
'okay... dont mine directly under you, good good'
'alright, everythings going fine'
'alright no lava here, good, still mining one block ahead'
*mouse mismicro*
'oh sho-'
*diamond pick rapes through iron ore in a second*
*fall to lava death*

i hate this game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pandaman said:
'okay... dont mine directly under you, good good'
'alright, everythings going fine'
'alright no lava here, good, still mining one block ahead'
*mouse mismicro*
'oh sho-'
*diamond pick rapes through iron ore in a second*
*fall to lava death*

i hate this game.

mine two blocks ahead? you have a decent range?

BTW, anyone else hoard the better picks/swords? when I finally scrape enough iron for a pick, I still use the stone ones for mining, saving the iron one for coal/iron/redstone.

Does the diamond one still run out?

kennah

I find it's worth it to use the Iron one for general mining since it goes that much faster. You end up covering a lot more ground and refilling your iron pretty quickly. Worth the 'expense'

bengraven

Ha, I was mining up in a straight line, something I never do, but I had to get to the surface and get home. I'm always worried I'm going to hit lava.

Suddenly I can't get through a block. I throw down a torch so I can see what kind of block I'm hitting...I'm directly below a block of obsidian. I count my blessings and gtfo.

Eccocid

mrklaw said:

BTW, anyone else hoard the better picks/swords? when I finally scrape enough iron for a pick, I still use the stone ones for mining, saving the iron one for coal/iron/redstone.

Does the diamond one still run out?

Whenever i get some diamond i make diamond pickaxes asap and use them. They are very fast and i thikn i read somewhere it takes maybe 1000 blocks to break it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bengraven said:
Ha, I was mining up in a straight line, something I never do, but I had to get to the surface and get home. I'm always worried I'm going to hit lava.

Suddenly I can't get through a block. I throw down a torch so I can see what kind of block I'm hitting...I'm directly below a block of obsidian. I count my blessings and gtfo.

why? What does that mean?

Ranger X

kennah said:
I find it's worth it to use the Iron one for general mining since it goes that much faster. You end up covering a lot more ground and refilling your iron pretty quickly. Worth the 'expense'

Yes, especially if you're not in carts and tracks like me. All my iron goes for tools.

mrklaw said:

Obsidian cannot be found hazardously. This means there was water and lava near him.

:)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
cool, thanks. Any logic to mining, or just do a lot of it and keep your fingers crossed?

And how do you dispose of tons of rock/dirt - do you dump it or just build lots of chests?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mrklaw said:
its more efficient to mine for caves than it is to strip mine, so i often find myself mining ore in the floor. if the ore is two blocks deep, it can be awkward to mine from the cave floor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pandaman said:
its more efficient to mine for caves than it is to strip mine, so i often find myself mining ore in the floor. if the ore is two blocks deep, it can be awkward to mine from the cave floor.

ah. tips for finding mines, or just wander N/S/E/W for a distance and leave markers?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mrklaw said:
ah. tips for finding mines, or just wander N/S/E/W for a distance and leave markers?
i typically mine straight down until im 15-25 blocks above bedrock and then mine in a straight 2x1 tunnel in all four directions until i hit cave.

Ranger X

I personally find it very fun to actually wander around and find cave entrances. There's always alot of them near hills and mountains. Sometimes even on flat grounds and valleys. Then you explore the cave mining everything you can see. It really is tons of fun.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
mrklaw said:
And how do you dispose of tons of rock/dirt - do you dump it or just build lots of chests?

I have a double chest in my Fortress of Awesome that I use exclusively for cobblestone and some sand, plus a few stacks of dirt for some unknown reason. Cobblestone comes in handy for making stairs, or for cooking up stone if you have to have the look of stone.

I also have a one-square pit of lava in my house surrounded by stone that I use as a garbage disposal, tossing anything I don't want anymore into it.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
anyone on exano's server know what WorldGuard is?

It keeps spamming this message on my screen every time I interact with a door
ExpfA.jpg

mrklaw said:

I wander around a little, searching mountains, and I usually find caves or holes.

And sometimes I use Cartographer G Cave Mode in order to see if there is any specially big cave maze around, before creating my house.

Rapstah

Flim Flam said:
anyone on exano's server know what WorldGuard is?

It keeps spamming this message on my screen every time I interact with a door
I think it's supposed to be the plug-in that prevents certain chunks from being edited? Has nothing to do with doors though.

Jhriad

mrklaw said:
cool, thanks. Any logic to mining, or just do a lot of it and keep your fingers crossed?

Are you looking to mine or you looking to explore caves? If you're looking to mine the best mining method IMO is the 2x1x2 method. Essentially make a stairwell down until you get to 13.6 on the height. This will place you in prime diamond territory but one block above most lava pools. Then create shafts all on that 13.6 height like this:

SBBSBBSBBS S= mine shaft
SBBSBBSBBS B=Stone
MMMMMMMMM M= your main hallway
SBBSBBSBBS

Feel free to make your main hallway wider than that (mine is 2 wide). Expand the mine shafts out to a distance you deem acceptable and maybe connect them with a rear hallway as well for easier access on that end. Using this method of shaft mining you should find all the minerals you could possibly need.

If you're just exporing caves ignore this. Also remember that after a certain height diamond becomes extremely rare/nonexistant so it might be better to use iron pickaxes if you're exploring/mining at those heights simply because you might not replenish your diamond stocks fast enough.

Blackface

Banned
Anyone know any good servers myself and a couple friends can play on. We want to just do it vanilla. Start with nothing, and work our way up from there. A server where you can set your spawn point would help.

Rapstah

Blackface said:
Anyone know any good servers myself and a couple friends can play on. We want to just do it vanilla. Start with nothing, and work our way up from there. A server where you can set your spawn point would help.
Either host your own, which is easy, or if your friends are GAFfers you can play on Exano's server mentioned in the OP. Some people have been allowed to let their non-GAF friends onto Exano's too but you'd need to ask him first.

EDIT: To make things clear, you can walk out into the wilderness and use the "/set home" command to make your home some random point far away from society and then use "/home" to go there from spawn every time you died. There's no actual spawn point setting on Exano's at the moment.

Jhriad

Isn't the command on Exano's server /home set rather than /set home? Either way if you hop on Exano's server type /home help for the list of /home commands and don't forget to peruse /help as well. If you need any help with anything else (/lwc commands for instance) feel free to ask. :)

BooJoh

To be more specific, you need to build from the top down to stack fences.

So let's say you want what's in that screenshot.

F=fence
W=wood
D=dirt

You want this:

FF
FW
F
F

Start with this:

FF
DW
D
D

Then one at a time, remove the dirt from the top down while placing fences on the next block down.

It looks great but it's worth considering that you'll probably get more light from a single torch on the ground.

bengraven

mrklaw said:

Yeah, I went around and realized I was mining up into a massive lava pool. A waterfall was coming down into it and there was about a 5x5 area of obsidian. Basically, 4 or 5 blocks in a certain direction and I would have a very, very bad day.

bengraven said:
Yeah, I went around and realized I was mining up into a massive lava pool. A waterfall was coming down into it and there was about a 5x5 area of obsidian. Basically, 4 or 5 blocks in a certain direction and I would have a very, very bad day.

This is why I always keep a stack of cobble on my quickslot bar. Luckily lava flows really slowly, so all I have to do is tap "2" and place cobble when I see a faceful of lava heading for me.

Sadly, I forgot to keep my cobble slotted last week and you can guess the rest.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Calm Killer said:
Oh that is nice. How would I go about doing this for my server?

Anyone know how I would get this type of map to work on my server as well? What do I need to run on my server?

Come on, that damn spiders don't wanna get drowned.

At least I found a way to kill the spiders and only the spiders with lava and I even got some strings, so the loot is not always destroyed.

bathala

Banned
my brother and some other players made a body guard for hire and they all wear hooded avatars in a multi server.

Minecraft multi is turning to mmo

Eccocid

bathala said:
my brother and some other players made a body guard for hire and they all wear hooded avatars in a multi server.

Minecraft multi is turning to mmo

If they had some aort of currency or a currency is created by players its a matter of time before it turns in to an Ultima Online with PKs! lol

Mine contribution is bland compared to some of the spectacular work shown off by others in this thread, but, here goes. My single player minecraft creations:

My Sky Sanctuary(Corny, I know):

189786_198613530161887_100000397230586_584756_4806513_n.jpg

197561_198614033495170_100000397230586_584759_1723504_n.jpg

200793_198613603495213_100000397230586_584758_7022179_n.jpg

The Doomtree:

196627_196268833729690_100000397230586_570885_3364022_n.jpg

195983_196268903729683_100000397230586_570889_4614112_n.jpg

185969_196268853729688_100000397230586_570886_6336476_n.jpg

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Come on, that damn spiders don't wanna get drowned.

At least I found a way to kill the spiders and only the spiders with lava and I even got some strings, so the loot is not always destroyed.

I am still working on my drowning trap. I tried to make one without using glass but it seems to be impossible. I will have to do like people on the net and use glass it seems.
I am currently having some epic 10 furnace smelting 64 blocks of sands each right now. lolol

parasight

Finally finished my base on AssCraft, located a few blocks from Ocean Town. Started off as a modest glass pyramid in the sky, but evolved over time. I'm pretty happy about how it came out, and the glass gives you a great view of the landscape all around. I especially love the glass elevators that give some pretty damn scenic moving views.

5552345966_1faf0d84f7_b.jpg

5552346504_88b5f3f42d_b.jpg

5552346712_eea730e419_b.jpg

5551760655_2825377755_b.jpg

5552347068_2bd265289d_b.jpg

5552347264_6ef1c2a13e_b.jpg

5552347418_6b1c76989e_b.jpg

Wool

Thought I'd post a few pictures from around Exano's Server.

My work in progress

wolfofmebu working on a rollar coaster
EbCP7l.jpg

My artsy picture going down into easytarget1's house
p8ThJl.jpg

The Greek City
bCERHl.jpg

The Modern City
Hoenwl.jpg

Inside Nagmine's Lair
VaYo2l.jpg

Top Bottom