• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Grinchy said:
If coexisting were the decision, someone would just kill them as a way to grief anyway lol

We could just put a giant pit in the middle of town and see how long it takes for them to mindlessly wander into it lol.

bengraven said:
I had a pretty radical idea for a single/multiplayer game mode. This could be done with some friends even now on a shared server, but the rules should be followed.

Wagontrain

You start off with nothing but a compass at spawn, with several of your friends. You start moving in one chosen fixed direction, let's say North.

Rules are:

- Don't falter from the path, don't move too far away from the group. In the end, the map should look like a long, thin but knotted rope.

- At night you HAVE to stop. Create a fire if you have lighters or blocks, throw down some torches, then defend yourself against the onslaught of enemies until sunrise or near sunrise - whenever you feel it's safe to keep moving.

- if you find a cavern as you travel, you HAVE to stop. At this point you can build a settlement around the cavern and mine until you feel like you've wiped that mine clean. At that point, real life hours, days, maybe months later, you move again.

- you can ONLY put beds in settlements, not camps. If you die, you return to the last settlement or spawn and have to go catch up with your friends.

- when you leave a settlement, you can only take what you can carry until Notch adds in a caravan or pack mule, or mods do. You have to leave what you can't carry behind. Or just share the load with others who might not have as much.

- if you have railroad tracks, you can link settlements, just try not to waste too much time building bridges. Night is falling!

- as I said, when you look at the map, it should be like ------O--------O-------O with the dashes being the thin trail and the "O"s being the settlements you build.

- you can leave people behind if they'd rather stay in a settlement for a while, but if they get bored they should move on and find you again. What you can't do is leave people behind because they're building without having found a cavern. Don't leave a man behind! Don't slow down! Find a cavern!

I don't know when the game would stop, this is all I have brainstormed today. But reading two books: one on the Oregon trail and the other being Lonesome Dove about a cattle drive, I think this would be totally awesome to try out.

I'd love something like this. Exploring in MC is fun but it's hard to keep motivated. Something like this would help keep it fresh. Also it sounds like a first person Oregon Trail.

Ranger X

That was basically my way of playing the game in single player. I had the extra goal of belting a continent (that is when, at that time, I thought there actually WAS continents in the game lol)

Ark

Looooks like Pioneer's landing has been griefed slightly (and Mengy saw the the bridge get TNT'd) so I'm going to move over to the new permissions manually, adding only the people we know & trust into their previous ranks, and I'll re-introduce the peasant rank yet again.

Ashodin

I just want to say thanks to puppetshadow for joining my 1.9 server. He's been a real awesome guy and I can't wait for his buildings and stuff!

mcrae

Ark said:
Looooks like Pioneer's landing has been griefed slightly (and Mengy saw the the bridge get TNT'd) so I'm going to move over to the new permissions manually, adding only the people we know & trust into their previous ranks, and I'll re-introduce the peasant rank yet again.

get those mods that tell you who does what... exano/mikor know which they are

Jordan

I'm quite intrigued to join the neogaf minecraft server. I have been playing Minecraft for a while now.

Was just wondering what sort of rules there are on joining, would I have to build something spectacular or could I just build something simple and work around it and learn new things about the game - occassionaly asking for assistance or help to learn new things?
Do you have your own allocated location to build in?

spuit*11

Banned
Jordan91 said:
I'm quite intrigued to join the neogaf minecraft server. I have been playing Minecraft for a while now.

Was just wondering what sort of rules there are on joining, would I have to build something spectacular or could I just build something simple and work around it and learn new things about the game - occassionaly asking for assistance or help to learn new things?
Do you have your own allocated location to build in?
You don't have to build anything extravagant at all. Hell you could just build a cube.
The only requirement for joining this server, as far as I know, is being a neogaf member and I think you have that covered pretty well.

You can build anything, anywhere. Except in theme towns.

As for the assistance, people are always willing to help out.

Jordan

spuit*11 said:
You don't have to build anything extravagant at all. Hell you could just build a cube.
The only requirement for joining this server, as far as I know, is being a neogaf member and I think you have that covered pretty well.

You can build anything, anywhere. Except in theme towns.

As for the assistance, people are always willing to help out.

That's amazing, my level of creativity is not amazing. So I make quite simple things.

EVIL

Dinglenut! building 2 adjoined village homes does not equal one large armory There are rules put up, i'd like you to keep to it. Build 2 village looking homes or a village looking home and something that looks more like the smitty so it fits a theme! and if you can't seem to stick to the theme and the building codes put in place, go build somewhere else!

Especially if you removed the trading post! that is a community thing!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
mcrae said:
get those mods that tell you who does what... exano/mikor know which they are

Yeah, I'm one of those "vanilla Minecraft no mods" crazy kind of guys, but a mod that can track who does what to blocks when, a monitor mod, does sound like a good idea. We've got some people who love to grief on our server, it would be nice to find out who they are.

And it's not that I'm even against griefing. Some servers encourage it, lol. And it can be fun to play on those sometimes with all the chaos and such, but Neocraft is not one of those servers. We like having our buildings and projects safe with no maintenance or upkeep required. And if people on the server can't honor that then they shouldn't be allowed on the server, period.

Neocraft's rules are simple and flexible and very generous and not very hard to follow. Play by the rules, or get the hell off our server.

IMHO of course. :D

Mik2121

Man, I absolutely, REALLY wanna go back to NeoCraft. But you guys will have to wait until next week's Friday so I get back to Japan, then I'll be able to join the server again. Right now the hotel where I'm staying for some reason has some issues with the network so I can't join any server online :(

For that reason, I'd love if once 1.9 hits we restart the world. I would love to there from the beginning like I did with NeoCraft :_) (I guess nobody is missing me though, lol)

Orlandu84

bengraven said:
I had a pretty radical idea for a single/multiplayer game mode. This could be done with some friends even now on a shared server, but the rules should be followed.

Wagontrain

You start off with nothing but a compass at spawn, with several of your friends. You start moving in one chosen fixed direction, let's say North.

Rules are:

- Don't falter from the path, don't move too far away from the group. In the end, the map should look like a long, thin but knotted rope.

- At night you HAVE to stop. Create a fire if you have lighters or blocks, throw down some torches, then defend yourself against the onslaught of enemies until sunrise or near sunrise - whenever you feel it's safe to keep moving.

- if you find a cavern as you travel, you HAVE to stop. At this point you can build a settlement around the cavern and mine until you feel like you've wiped that mine clean. At that point, real life hours, days, maybe months later, you move again.

- you can ONLY put beds in settlements, not camps. If you die, you return to the last settlement or spawn and have to go catch up with your friends.

- when you leave a settlement, you can only take what you can carry until Notch adds in a caravan or pack mule, or mods do. You have to leave what you can't carry behind. Or just share the load with others who might not have as much.

- if you have railroad tracks, you can link settlements, just try not to waste too much time building bridges. Night is falling!

- as I said, when you look at the map, it should be like ------O--------O-------O with the dashes being the thin trail and the "O"s being the settlements you build.

- you can leave people behind if they'd rather stay in a settlement for a while, but if they get bored they should move on and find you again. What you can't do is leave people behind because they're building without having found a cavern. Don't leave a man behind! Don't slow down! Find a cavern!

I don't know when the game would stop, this is all I have brainstormed today. But reading two books: one on the Oregon trail and the other being Lonesome Dove about a cattle drive, I think this would be totally awesome to try out.

Wow! That is a really good idea. I really like the idea of stopping at caves to create settlements there. I will have to give this some thought for my next single player game.

Mengy

bengraven said:

Wagontrain

Rules are:

You know, we could do something in the spirit of this on Neocraft anyway. I mean not make it a mandatory way to play, part of the fun of Neocraft is the freedom to do whatever you want (within the few rules we have). But, we could do the whole "wagon train" thing with theme settlements and towns we build.

For example, say we start with Pioneer Landing that we have now on the server. Make it the starting point. Now we have that desert town to the east a bit that is already linked by a road. So we build another road out of the desert town further in the general east direction until we come to a spot that looks good for our next community project. Say we decide to do a large keep, a castle with a medieval themed village surrounded by a huge castle wall in a valley or something. So we build mines in the keep and outer general direction, play around in the area for awhile, and when we are done with it and ready for a new project we make the road go east again to a new area. Maybe this time we build a dwarf fortress, an underground city. But each time we link the areas together by roads and rails, like a long wagon wheel, setting up mines along the way and little base camps and such.

Could be a fun community kind of thing.

bengraven

Hm, might try the prerelease out. I can just force update if I want to play on the server.

also:

notch Markus Persson
Yeeesss!! Arbitrary NBT Data per Item Instance is done! Works in both single player and multi player. :D :D

notch Markus Persson
What it means? It means we can do item enchantments, item naming, more than "just" 65k possible maps per level, and all sorts of nonsense.

And someone's awesome idea:

9n5Xz.png

As cool as that is, it's a big cheat. If you had a "share anywhere" chest in Minecraft, you could just go into a cavern, put down a chest, and never worry about losing too much stuff. You could have a ton of chests saved up and whenever you entered a new "room" in a cavern/mineshaft, you could put down a chest for all the things you collect. Then if you die and return to spawn, all the stuff you were collecting down below will be sitting in your chest in your house.

Mengy said:
You know, we could do something in the spirit of this on Neocraft anyway. I mean not make it a mandatory way to play, part of the fun of Neocraft is the freedom to do whatever you want (within the few rules we have). But, we could do the whole "wagon train" thing with theme settlements and towns we build.

For example, say we start with Pioneer Landing that we have now on the server. Make it the starting point. Now we have that desert town to the east a bit that is already linked by a road. So we build another road out of the desert town further in the general east direction until we come to a spot that looks good for our next community project. Say we decide to do a large keep, a castle with a medieval themed village surrounded by a huge castle wall in a valley or something. So we build mines in the keep and outer general direction, play around in the area for awhile, and when we are done with it and ready for a new project we make the road go east again to a new area. Maybe this time we build a dwarf fortress, an underground city. But each time we link the areas together by roads and rails, like a long wagon wheel, setting up mines along the way and little base camps and such.

Could be a fun community kind of thing.

Well the reason I was going to create my own server for it was I worry about inflating the map size too quickly. That was a big reason for the rule "don't stray from the path". If people wander away, let's say at night, it will bloat the map up quickly. Wandering around settlements is fine AS LONG AS you don't go "forward": you can explore in any direction but the direction preset, example: north. You can't wander north if you're traveling north, which is hard because if people spend a few weeks or even months building a settlement, they're going to wander at some point.

I would love to do this with some of you on NeoCraft, but first we'd have to wait until 1.9 since Ark wants us to stay near spawn and second, we'd just have to check with Ark if it was okay because of how big the map will get. But if it's going to be on NeoCraft, there's a new rule: no warping/flying!

Otherwise, hells yeah, let's do it!

Jhriad

Mik2121 said:
For that reason, I'd love if once 1.9 hits we restart the world. I would love to there from the beginning like I did with NeoCraft :_) (I guess nobody is missing me though, lol)

Seems like the majority of folks are leaning toward trim & continue rather than a full restart.

EDIT: Speaking of which, Ark if we do decide to just trim the map can we get a restart on the nether? It's still the nether from the old map and it looks like it's kind of a mess of portals from when I ventured in there last night.

bengraven

CrAzYLeGzLU said:
I'd love something like this. Exploring in MC is fun but it's hard to keep motivated. Something like this would help keep it fresh. Also it sounds like a first person Oregon Trail.

Yeah, that was a big inspiration as well. I've been on a huge Western kick lately and the idea of a wagon train to parts unknown could actually mesh well within Minecraft.

Orlandu84 said:
Wow! That is a really good idea. I really like the idea of stopping at caves to create settlements there. I will have to give this some thought for my next single player game.

Yeah, basically it was like the settlers of the West, who would discover mines or areas heavy with fur animals and stop and build settlements/trading posts around the resources. When the resources ran dry, they moved on to other places.

I still can't think of an end-game. I originally thought it should end when you get to a certain sort of biome, but that could mean the game was over too quick. Maybe like the second or third time you reached a snow biome it would be done. Or maybe until you find a stronghold.

New rule as well: if you find a village along the way you have to kill everyone in it, take all the resources and then move on. No camping there, no beds put down. Just destroy it and get out before nightfall.

Ooooh .. new update!

*downloads*

Yeah, not really interested in the Ender chest, although it could come in handy if I'm constructing something deep underground and have one on me that's linked to another full of blocks that are only obtainable from the surface. Would save me going up and down my shaft (ooh err) all the time then.

bengraven

Right. I mean, in any other game I'm all for shared chests, but not in Minecraft. It ruins part of the "run to the surface with your stacks of goods and don't die" fun.

Also, I'm waiting to download 1.9 until I see the fan-made patch notes. I don't mind exploring and discovering the new changes, but frankly I never find the changes. I usually just wander around for an hour, don't see anything new, then find the notes and go: "ooooooh".

bengraven

Patch notes so far from Reddit:

Hey! :) With the second prerelease now out, let's try to find all additions to the game.
Things I found so far:

New items
- Nine new music discs (11 in total, one "broken")
- Blaze powder
- Magma cream
- Glass bottle
- Spider eye and fermented spider eye
- Game mechanics

Hardcore mode: game over when you die, hearts have new icons

- Golden apple now has a shining animation
- Pressure plates on top of fence posts now make sound when you walk on them or next to them
- Villagers has no names (No more TESTIFICATE)
- Holding the spacebar allows you to jump continuously again
- Pumpkins can be “crafted” into 4 Pumpkin Seeds
- The enderman pearls now teleports you when thrown
- Endermen teleport to dodge arrows. Endermen teleport out of water when they touch it. Endermen teleport a lot more. (Guessing) Endermen have more health. (Took 4 hits with a Diamond Sword. I don't know if that's any different). Also they don't die in daylight.
- Item repair! Put two damaged items in the crafting grid (arrangement doesn't seem to matter)
- F5 view cycling
- Fences now attach to adjacent blocks, has an interesting outcome when used certain ways
- Zombie Pigmen now randomly drop rotten flesh or gold bits instead of everytime
- blaze rods will fuel furnaces
- Spider eye is obtained from killing a spider. When eaten, it poisons you and the poison wears off after 3 hearts.
BUG: Feeding passive mobs a stack of wheat reduces your wheat stack by one each time until you only have 1 left which you can seem to feed to them infinitely.

Animal breeding:
- Feed passive mobs wheat to make them breed with each other
- Passive mobs follow you when wheat is selected

I will update whenever anybody finds new things.

Glass bottles!?!

1PxN9.png

Pressure plates on top of fence posts now make sound when you walk on them or next to them

I don't like this. What's the point of letting us put plates on fence posts? Jens did that so we could make tables, I thought. Why would tables go "woosh"....?

Also, animal breeding sounds awesome and I want to try that out ASAP.

Grinchy

Banned
bengraven said:
So basically, it's the piggy bank from Terraria.

I agree though, it probably hurts the Minecraft mining mechanic. If you aren't afraid of losing your stuff while mining, where's the reward?

bengraven said:
Glass bottles!?!

Yeah, for making potions. I'm assuming that the spiders eye and fermented spider eye are ingredients.

I don't like this. What's the point of letting us put plates on fence posts? Jens did that so we could make tables, I thought. Why would tables go "woosh"....?

Also, animal breeding sounds awesome and I want to try that out ASAP.

Same here. Gonna have a chicken farm as soon as I can set it up! As for the plates now making a noise when on fence posts, yeah, I thought the same as you when I read it.

Vlad

Is it just me, or has the new chunk generation gotten a lot slower over the past few patches? I know it always used to cause some slowdown, but now it seems much worse.

And it looks like it still crashes on Far render distance for me :(

EDIT: And the animal breeding system has all kinds of strange implications with the chickens...

Apparently Minecraft chickens lay eggs, but when fed wheat, they mate and have live births, mammal-style.

bengraven

I can confirm that the Enderpearl teleport does hurt you for 2 hearts.

Grinchy said:

I agree though, it probably hurts the Minecraft mining mechanic. If you aren't afraid of losing your stuff while mining, where's the reward?

Exactly. It also defeats the purpose of minecarts, which NEED to be fixed SOON.

Notch meant for you to be able to send your things back up to the surface via chest cart almost TWO YEARS ago but hasn't gotten around to fixing carts.

Grinchy

Banned
bengraven said:
Exactly. It also defeats the purpose of minecarts, which NEED to be fixed SOON.

Notch meant for you to be able to send your things back up to the surface via chest cart almost TWO YEARS ago but hasn't gotten around to fixing carts.
Wow I just got into making minecart tracks lately for transportation. I tinkered around with powered carts and chest carts and could not figure out wtf their purpose was. Now I know they don't have one lol

bengraven

Grinchy said:
Wow I just got into making minecart tracks lately for transportation. I tinkered around with powered carts and chest carts and could not figure out wtf their purpose was. Now I know they don't have one lol

Yeah! You were supposed to be able to put down powered minecarts, fueled by coal and link a few carts to it and it would take you to the surface, over any steep surface. The chest carts were for goods.

Hell, the game was kind of marketed in the beginning as "Dwarf Fortress meets Rollercoaster Tycoon".

Mengy

bengraven said:
Yeah! You were supposed to be able to put down powered minecarts, fueled by coal and link a few carts to it and it would take you to the surface, over any steep surface. The chest carts were for goods.

Hell, the game was kind of marketed in the beginning as "Dwarf Fortress meets Rollercoaster Tycoon".

Were the powered minecarts ever fixed to climb hills? I haven't even made one of those in over a year, they used to be so disappointingly worthless. It would be nice if they became useful at some point. (doesn't seem like it would be hard to fix either...)

onken

Grinchy said:

You mean the storage chest from Resident Evil.

Kikarian

The transitions between weather on 1.9, I don't like. Notch has done some good and bad decisions, but hopefully the bad ones will be sorted.

Kuran

Banned
DodgeAnon said:
The transitions between weather on 1.9, I don't like. Notch has done some good and bad decisions, but hopefully the bad ones will be sorted.
Explain pls!

It really blows my mind the only way to make tables is by using pressure plates, they need to fix that.

Mengy

Ranger X said:
So it's 1.9 that just came out? the official 1.9 ?

NO, they just put 1.9 pre-release V2 up for download. You have to download the .JAR file and install it manually. It's not the official version, the game is officially still at 1.8.1.

Chuckpebble

Ranger X said:
So it's 1.9 that just came out? the official 1.9 ?

No, its the "leaked" version. I only quote that because that's how I've always seen it. Anyway, I think its because its not from an unofficial source, its just there for the people who are going to actively seek it out as opposed to being released to everyone automatically. A way to test the waters, I guess, without being inundated with complaints over every minor change from the entire community.

Grinchy

Banned
Chuckpebble said:
No, its the "leaked" version. I only quote that because that's how I've always seen it. Anyway, I think its because its not from an unofficial source, its just there for the people who are going to actively seek it out as opposed to being released to everyone automatically. A way to test the waters, I guess, without being inundated with complaints over every minor change from the entire community.
Yup, this is exactly what I think they are doing. Why release an update and have everyone bitch about the bugs over and over again? Just release a "leak" for people to test for you. That should fix the bugs for the official release for the masses who don't want to be bothered to test anything.

I've been playing every pre-release so far. 1.8 was the worst as it crashed all the time, but since then they've been fine. Version 1 of 1.9 seems fine as well except for the jumping problem (which I assume is fixed now)

Mengy

Grinchy said:
Yup, this is exactly what I think they are doing. Why release an update and have everyone bitch about the bugs over and over again? Just release a "leak" for people to test for you. That should fix the bugs for the official release for the masses who don't want to be bothered to test anything.

I've been playing every pre-release so far. 1.8 was the worst as it crashed all the time, but since then they've been fine. Version 1 of 1.9 seems fine as well except for the jumping problem (which I assume is fixed now)

I've been playing 1.9 pre in single player since the day they released it, it's awesome. I missed the snow biomes too much. And I'll be upgrading to 1.9v2 pre tonight. I only "downgrade" to the 1.8.1 .JAR file to play on Neocraft.

bengraven said:
Some additional patch notes that popped up on Reddit since then:
  • F8 cinematic mode is back
  • New tooltip design
  • Glass panes now shatter when mined
  • Mob health seems to have been rebalanced
  • Fence hitbox fixed
  • Exp orbs now are the score when you die
  • Poison timer in inventory
  • No sheep color inheritance when breeding

The thing with the pressure plate sound when on a fence must be a bug - they were intentionally given that functionality so they looked like tables. I think Notch just needs to add proper freaking tables though, make it craftable out of one fence and one pressure plate even... (or just use the same functionality as the snowman where when stacked manually it changes entities). It would be nice to eventually be able to place items on tables whenever something like that becomes available or jump on them without having to worry about a pressure plate being hit to.

Bummed about the glass pane change to, I assumed they were meant to be retrievable - just need to be more careful now when placing them like with glass blocks.

Also would of been neat if you could breed for sheep colors. There's already enough mixed colors and shades for it to work well. Like if you bred a black sheep and a white sheep you'd get a gray sheep, if you mixed that sheep with a white sheep you'd get a light gray sheep. I have a feeling this'll be added though - seems almost too logical given all the different wool colors and introduction of breeding mechanics.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Working on a feature for IGN - what are the most impressive Minecraft videos EVER? I mean the best of the best. I'm thinking stuff like the Middle Earth recreation, or the Simpsons intro recreation.

& no you aren't doing my job for me. I have 6-7 great ones. Just need to round out the top 10 :)

The "11" disc plays the track "11". The disc appears cracked and broken, and instead of music, appears to be
an extremely eerie audio recording of a helpless player being chased by a Ghast through The Nether.

I have to hear this.

Top Bottom