• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

bengraven

Houston3000 said:
Some additional patch notes that popped up on Reddit since then:
  • F8 cinematic mode is back
  • New tooltip design
  • Glass panes now shatter when mined
  • Mob health seems to have been rebalanced
  • Fence hitbox fixed
  • Exp orbs now are the score when you die
  • Poison timer in inventory
  • No sheep color inheritance when breeding

The thing with the pressure plate sound when on a fence must be a bug - they were intentionally given that functionality so they looked like tables. I think Notch just needs to add proper freaking tables though, make it craftable out of one fence and one pressure plate even... (or just use the same functionality as the snowman where when stacked manually it changes entities). It would be nice to eventually be able to place items on tables whenever something like that becomes available or jump on them without having to worry about a pressure plate being hit to.

Bummed about the glass pane change to, I assumed they were meant to be retrievable - just need to be more careful now when placing them like with glass blocks.

Also would of been neat if you could breed for sheep colors. There's already enough mixed colors and shades for it to work well. Like if you bred a black sheep and a white sheep you'd get a gray sheep, if you mixed that sheep with a white sheep you'd get a light gray sheep. I have a feeling this'll be added though - seems almost too logical given all the different wool colors and introduction of breeding mechanics.

Thanks for this, I was just about to check and see if there was new updates.

I was wondering about the sheep coloring concept. I thought it might make breeding MUCH more interesting if we could combine and make colors.

GDJustin said:
Working on a feature for IGN - what are the most impressive Minecraft videos EVER? I mean the best of the best. I'm thinking stuff like the Middle Earth recreation, or the Simpsons intro recreation.

& no you aren't doing my job for me. I have 6-7 great ones. Just need to round out the top 10 :)

The Inception trailer was beloved for a long time and was actually the trailer that pushed me to play the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMTedT6P0I

Listening to it brings back those virgin memories of the first few times I loaded the game up and started punching trees.

guest1321

I am little confused at this point... Can we add die to a white sheep and make a blue sheep or other non-normal colored sheep? And then if this is possible is it possible to make two blue sheep breed and result in another blue sheep?

Drazgul

GDJustin said:
Working on a feature for IGN - what are the most impressive Minecraft videos EVER? I mean the best of the best. I'm thinking stuff like the Middle Earth recreation, or the Simpsons intro recreation.

& no you aren't doing my job for me. I have 6-7 great ones. Just need to round out the top 10 :)

Top Ten Most Awesome Minecraft Videos!

I thought the Simpsons one was pretty crap, tbh. Just make sure BladeCraft is on that list.

bengraven

guest1321 said:
I am little confused at this point... Can we add die to a white sheep and make a blue sheep or other non-normal colored sheep? And then if this is possible is it possible to make two blue sheep breed and result in another blue sheep?

Seems like that's what they're trying to say. All babies will probably be white or light grey/black/brown/pink, etc, the natural colors.

guest1321

bengraven said:
Seems like that's what they're trying to say. All babies will probably be white or light grey/black/brown/pink, etc, the natural colors.
Darn. I was really hoping I could get some funky breeding going. Just mass amounts of sheep. Possibly make a disco roller rink and have the colored sheep live inside...

bengraven

guest1321 said:
Darn. I was really hoping I could get some funky breeding going. Just mass amounts of sheep. Possibly make a disco roller rink and have the colored sheep live inside...

Yeah, I think that would have been an awesome micro game. Start a sheep farm, seperate the sheep, breed certain colors, etc.

guest1321

bengraven said:
Yeah, I think that would have been an awesome micro game. Start a sheep farm, seperate the sheep, breed certain colors, etc.
I think it would be pretty funny just to be walking around the wilderness and randomly run into a pink or blue sheep.
So at a minimum can we color sheep before shaving them?

bengraven

Messing around with MCedit for the first time. I might be needing some help here.

I'm having serious issues with my gameworld.

guest1321 said:
I think it would be pretty funny just to be walking around the wilderness and randomly run into a pink or blue sheep.
So at a minimum can we color sheep before shaving them?

Yes and since Sheep no longer despawn unless killed, you can still pull this off. :)

Vlad

guest1321 said:
I am little confused at this point... Can we add die to a white sheep and make a blue sheep or other non-normal colored sheep?

You could always do that, ever since the dyes were introduced. That was actually the most efficient use of dyes, since you could use a single unit of dye to dye the sheep, then kill/shear it to get multiple wool blocks of that color, instead of coloring each block individually.

On another note, I'm really leaning towards giving up on MC until they fix the performance issues. Every so often, I get this nasty stuttering effect (it's similar to the stuttering that happens if you go down a long waterslide in a boat). It goes away somewhat quickly, but it seems to always happen at the worst times. I was just exploring an abandoned mine for the first time, and the game started stuttering right when I got jumped by about four of those poison spiders, which ended rather poorly.

guest1321

Vlad said:
You could always do that, ever since the dyes were introduced. That was actually the most efficient use of dyes, since you could use a single unit of dye to dye the sheep, then kill/shear it to get multiple wool blocks of that color, instead of coloring each block individually.

HA! Well I'm feeling pretty smart right about now.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I've found some kind of bug with breeding. I had 10 pieces of wheat, and I used 9 of them. I started with 2 chickens. On my last piece of wheat, I could keep using it over and over again. I've bred like 30 chickens on that one last piece of wheat.

Grinchy said:
I think I've found some kind of bug with breeding. I had 10 pieces of wheat, and I used 9 of them. I started with 2 chickens. On my last piece of wheat, I could keep using it over and over again. I've bred like 30 chickens on that one last piece of wheat.

It was listed above as a known bug.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Grinchy said:

Sounds like a reduction counter bug in the new breeding class, I guess it's not clearing the item counter out lower than 1. I'd report it on the minecraft forums, although I'm sure by the time you get there to do it someone else will have already beaten you there. Although that's a fairly handy bug!

Ark

Ok, slight complication with bringing the Ark over means it'll be done in a couple of more days instead. Apologies :(

EDIT:

Toki ran outta PM space so I'll have to post this here instead:

I don't know why, but apparently I can't load the NeoCraft map into my MCEdit o_o

Tried reinstalling etc, but I can't get it to work, it just ends up lagging my computer to the point where its unusable. You wouldn't happen to know what's up? I had no problem using it before :l

Orlandu84

Mengy said:
You know, we could do something in the spirit of this on Neocraft anyway. I mean not make it a mandatory way to play, part of the fun of Neocraft is the freedom to do whatever you want (within the few rules we have). But, we could do the whole "wagon train" thing with theme settlements and towns we build.

For example, say we start with Pioneer Landing that we have now on the server. Make it the starting point. Now we have that desert town to the east a bit that is already linked by a road. So we build another road out of the desert town further in the general east direction until we come to a spot that looks good for our next community project. Say we decide to do a large keep, a castle with a medieval themed village surrounded by a huge castle wall in a valley or something. So we build mines in the keep and outer general direction, play around in the area for awhile, and when we are done with it and ready for a new project we make the road go east again to a new area. Maybe this time we build a dwarf fortress, an underground city. But each time we link the areas together by roads and rails, like a long wagon wheel, setting up mines along the way and little base camps and such.

Could be a fun community kind of thing.
Count me in! For some reason, I am in a road building mood of late; unfortunately, I have nothing to build roads to and from. Anyways, I think that this would be very good community activity so that the server stays fresh and engaging. My only advice is that we change directions every so often so that we do not make the server map a weird shape.

Mengy said:
You know, we could do something in the spirit of this on Neocraft anyway. I mean not make it a mandatory way to play, part of the fun of Neocraft is the freedom to do whatever you want (within the few rules we have). But, we could do the whole "wagon train" thing with theme settlements and towns we build.

For example, say we start with Pioneer Landing that we have now on the server. Make it the starting point. Now we have that desert town to the east a bit that is already linked by a road. So we build another road out of the desert town further in the general east direction until we come to a spot that looks good for our next community project. Say we decide to do a large keep, a castle with a medieval themed village surrounded by a huge castle wall in a valley or something. So we build mines in the keep and outer general direction, play around in the area for awhile, and when we are done with it and ready for a new project we make the road go east again to a new area. Maybe this time we build a dwarf fortress, an underground city. But each time we link the areas together by roads and rails, like a long wagon wheel, setting up mines along the way and little base camps and such.

Could be a fun community kind of thing.

Count me in for something like this. We'd probably have to wait until after the switch to 1.9 though.

Xiul

GDJustin said:

Well this video made me buy Minecraft:
Minecraft - Even Bigger Ball o' TNT

Ashodin

GDJustin said:

Well I'd submit mine but I don't think it'd make the Top Ten.

bathala

Banned
GDJustin said:

u should check machinima's minecraft video top 10 :p

Amzin

GDJustin said:

This is still my all-time favorite minecraft video. It's from pretty early minecraft, too.

Minecraft - The Slide

Vlad

Xiul said:
Well this video made me buy Minecraft:
Minecraft - Even Bigger Ball o' TNT

Hate to nitpick, but the resulting crater from that video simply isn't possible to do with TNT like that in vanilla MC. Making a big sphere like that will simply throw most of the TNT upwards into the air, and the stuff that does happen to explode near the ground won't make such a nice curvy crater.

Looking at that crater again, it makes me wonder if he was using a mod that made the TNT explosion radius bigger. There are a few spots that look like someone just took a giant sphere out of the landscape, which is really unlikely with a bunch of regular TNT explosions.

Ark

spuit*11 said:
I just made a schematic out of the two arks.

Cleaned up the pier and the cobble thing too.

Not sure if it'll work but here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?58u9vwx3c9u5vhh

You absolute beast, thanks. I'll try this when I get home tomorrow (not enough time now unfortunately), hopefully it was just my computer not rendering a 1gb sized map and not just generally spazzing out.

Xiul

Vlad said:
Hate to nitpick, but the resulting crater from that video simply isn't possible to do with TNT like that in vanilla MC. Making a big sphere like that will simply throw most of the TNT upwards into the air, and the stuff that does happen to explode near the ground won't make such a nice curvy crater.

Looking at that crater again, it makes me wonder if he was using a mod that made the TNT explosion radius bigger. There are a few spots that look like someone just took a giant sphere out of the landscape, which is really unlikely with a bunch of regular TNT explosions.

Oh... yes in the current game I don't believe it's possible, but at the time I was very impressed of how much you could change the world.

Venfayth

Billychu said:

Lol what. Well, should be relatively simple to fix ... maybe. Add a flag for the player if they've thrown an ender pearl in the past few seconds to exempt them from hacking checks.

That must be a mod disconnecting the player, right? Or is it a hardcoded thing?

Vlad

Acullis said:
Ennnnderrrr pearlrllsllslslslsls are cool :D

Wouldn't know. Every single time I come across an Enderman, I ready my sword and purposely look at him. And every single time, they do that "mouth open" thing and then just disappears in a poof of particles. Haven't managed to even hit one yet.

Emitan

Acullis said:
Lol what. Well, should be relatively simple to fix ... maybe. Add a flag for the player if they've thrown an ender pearl in the past few seconds to exempt them from hacking checks.

That must be a mod disconnecting the player, right? Or is it a hardcoded thing?
I'm guessing it's a custom mod on their server that kicked him.

Billychu said:
Reddit Comment said:
So Ender Pearls turn you into Flash?
Guess it will crash if you use them on a Mac then
KuGsj.gif

Maxrpg said:
I just want to say thanks to puppetshadow for joining my 1.9 server. He's been a real awesome guy and I can't wait for his buildings and stuff!
Fun playing with you guys! Be back on later tonight, and I'll see if I can find that spawner with the rotating rotissarie pig.

bengraven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gufXf67qBcc

Was posted in the OT, but there's a particularly funny bit toward the middle-end that has to do with Minecraft that I'll let you see on your own.

CrAzYLeGzLU said:
Count me in for something like this. We'd probably have to wait until after the switch to 1.9 though.

Well if you guys for up for it and Ark is okay with it, we can try it. I have a couple of people on another board who want to try it out too, so I might feel them out with a private server and see if they are okay people (they seem good and excited about this), so maybe I can get permission to bring them in.

Saves me the hassle of putting up another server that I can't afford. haha

onken

Vlad said:

Yeah gotta be fake, you can't blow up bedrock. Must have used a tool just to remove a few giant spheres of blocks. Still an awesome looking crater though!

Drazgul

Vlad said:

That was clearly done with MCEdit, which has a few brushes you can use to 'paint' the world. In this instance a sphere brush with air blocks was used to create the craters - even that huge area is just 1-2 minutes of work.

bengraven

Oh god oh god oh god

enchanting tables

Who else is going to be making a room full of bookcases and a nether portal and an enchanting table in front of the portal.

omg omg omg we get to be wizards, harry.

celebi23

Notch's twitter said:
How does enchanting work in Minecraft? Well, you open a magical book and pick a random spell, not quite sure knowing what it will do. MAGIC!

I wonder if potions and enchanting will make it into the "official" version of 1.9 or if it'll be postponed to 1.10/2.0/whatever Mojang calls the next version after 1.9

Ark

Every time I read the new Minecraft rumours/etc I feel more and more compelled to not play MC at all until November 11th.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:
Every time I read the new Minecraft rumours/etc I feel more and more compelled to not play MC at all until November 11th.

Not me, this game is better than ever right now. I've started a new singleplayer survival world for 1.9pre and I'm having a blast. But I've really been playing creative mode the most lately, just playing with huge mega experimental projects and architectures and stuff.

However, as of last night I started a new hardcore map, and I plan on playing that through until I meet my demise. I'm not going to really build anything huge or immense for hardcore, but I am going to play the wandering miner of sorts. Taking a queue from the "wagon train" idea back a page or so, I'm going to play hardcore by setting up a nice basecamp and then starting a mine to gather materials, namely lots of iron and tracks. When I'm ready I'm going to wander off in a new direction, find a nice area for a new camp, and then link the two by rail. Then I'll make a mine again, getting more ore and rails and when I'm ready I'll wander off again. Taking screenshots to document my journey, I'll see just how big of an empire I can build until my death deletes it all forever.

I will say this, playing with death as a finality really makes the game more tense, in a good way. I haven't bothered to wear armor for months in MInecraft, last night armor became a priority for me. And food, when starving to death means end of game, you make food a priority too. The survival aspect of the game always appealed to me, and I freaking love the Hardcore option in game now.

Top Bottom