• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

@notch (via Twitter)
I want to try out a random loot element, and it fits well with magic being difficult to understand.
(link)

So basically it seems like enchanting an items gives it random magical attributes. You don't really choose what you want added - or maybe you choose something and the number just randomizes (so you can get a strong enchantment or a weak enchantment depending on your luck).

@jeb_ (via Twitter)
The cauldron is still in the game, but it doesn't really DO anything at the moment. You can still add water to it, though
(link)

Ranger X

Ark said:
Every time I read the new Minecraft rumours/etc I feel more and more compelled to not play MC at all until November 11th.

Sort of having the same feeling but at the same time, it's not like November 11 means a stop to the updates. It really is just a milestone and the only thing that will change is the version name...

Ranger X said:
Sort of having the same feeling but at the same time, it's not like November 11 means a stop to the updates. It really is just a milestone and the only thing that will change is the version name...

Notch has to find a way to upgrade worlds, maybe tagging the differences in the map with the original seed, regenerating the world and applying the modifications. But after November 11 I hope that we won't have to choose between keep playing in our 1.0 worlds or needing to upgrade to 1.x to have a certain feature.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Notch has to find a way to upgrade worlds, maybe tagging the differences in the map with the original seed, regenerating the world and applying the modifications. But after November 11 I hope that we won't have to choose between keep playing in our 1.0 worlds or needing to upgrade to 1.x to have a certain feature.

As much as I'd want this too, it sound like the less probable thing to ever happen to this game. This would probably necessitate them to mess with the very core of how the game is programmed or simply redoing it ---- wich would obviously not happen.

bengraven

After November, we won't be in beta anymore, we'll be in release. Which means we won't be TESTERS anymore.

Which means any change that requires us to restart our worlds will not be taken as lightly.

Speaking of which, I'm having issues with chunk generation. Anyone else having issues with the game generating new chunks for them?

Kuran

Banned
I don't want Minecraft to stop being developed yet, unless they begin Minecraft 2.

I do know updates are planned after minecon, but I wonder if Notch's original roadmap still counts.

The original game hasn't even released yet and you're talking about the sequel already. Com'n!

It's still going to be updated after release, though I won't be surprised if it slows down again around the time Scrolls gets further into development.

Does anyone know any good mods/maps for adventures. I saw one once that was cool, but I don't know what it was and my roommate and I really wanna play some minecraft adventures.

ConvenientBox said:
am I alone in wanting minecraft to NOT go fantasy/wizardy ( FAIL : I don't know the lingo ) ?

Nah you are not the only one. I can't say I am thrilled with all this talk of "potions" and "enchantments" being added to minecraft.

cbox

CharmingCharlie said:
Nah you are not the only one. I can't say I am thrilled with all this talk of "potions" and "enchantments" being added to minecraft.

I guess we have the choice to not use them, but it'd be nice if he went in a more industrial direction. I know there's mods, but official support would be sweet.

I think the game has always leaned a little more toward magic and fantasy than it has toward industrial or pure medieval stuff.

I mean, you're in a world where you constantly fight off hordes of reanimated skeletons, zombies, green exploding monsters, and lanky teleporting aliens. You build portals to travel to a "nether" realm where you mine glowing blocks and sand filled with human souls, all while fighting off huge fire spitting ghosts, undead monser pigs, and flame elementals. Even the "electricity" in the world is controlled by red magical dust you lay on the floor and provide current to with glowing torches. I shouldn't even need to mention the pink sheep, giant mushrooms, and fungus cows roaming the landscape.

Don't see how adding potions and enchanting to the game pushes it over some sort of edge the game hasn't tipped a long, long time ago.

Ark

Notch's recent post reiterates an earlier tweet he made, stating that new development will cease on October 18th. This is being done to give Mojang time to clean up, streamline and fix up the code for final release without adding more features (and potential bugs) to the mix. Normal development for features will resume after November 18th, and the full release of the game. Regarding the final release and the upcoming MineCon, he noted:
Source.

That must mean that 1.9 is going to hit and be relatively bug-free by October 18th, which is excellent news to my ears :)

No updates for a month sounds glorious.

bengraven

Houston3000 said:
The original game hasn't even released yet and you're talking about the sequel already. Com'n!

It's still going to be updated after release, though I won't be surprised if it slows down again around the time Scrolls gets further into development.

In all fairness, Minecraft has been playable for 3 years.

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...epics-and-a-mod-download-to-make-them-usable/

Apparently Cauldrons are already in 1.9Pre2 but they simply weren't assigned a block ID. Someone made a super simple mod that adds a crafting recipes and gives them a proper ID so you can build them. More so they're fully functional without any further modding.

Apparently you fill the cauldron with water, then mix in various ingredients - each of which add effects to the potion and changes the color. At any point you can use a bottle and scoop out some of the potion - each time lowering the liquid level in the cauldron by one, three times before it runs out. At any point you can add more water but it dilutes the potion and makes it weaker. Read the thread I posted, people have been experimenting and figuring out how to make the various potions.

It's pretty interesting, kind of makes me wish they kept the system now instead of replacing it with that little potion holder thingy in the screenshot. I hope we can still optionally mix potions in the cauldron just the for the hell of it, even if it's less effective.

I'd love that Notch is now focusing on the game, because I really need some goals.

Yes, Minecraft is (also) a building engine, but we saw that there are already a lot of possible things. Also, there is the creative mode (or items mods in survival) to be able to build anything.

But for the people that play vanilla survival (specially in single player), and likes the exploration, there are not too much incentives, right now, aside of exploring random dungeons to get a few minerals that you can get easier if you make a quarry and some mob items that you'll get easier using a mob trap.

Give me rare potions that you can get only killing rare mobs that are only in rare dungeons scattered through the map, and I'll be happy.

bengraven said:
After November, we won't be in beta anymore, we'll be in release. Which means we won't be TESTERS anymore.

Which means any change that requires us to restart our worlds will not be taken as lightly.
It's still going to happen, if he ever decides to add a new biome or whatever.

It is literally unavoidable with the way he generates chunks. As soon as you do anything random like he does, with a seed, if you decide to fuck it up by adding an extra step, that randomness is suddenly "broken", and the only way to not make it obvious that it's broken is to start fresh.

If he ever decides to make new chunks generate based on the ADJACENT already-existing chunks, however... that might fix things in some ways, but might break them in others.

Orlandu84

Houston3000 said:
Have you guys seen this?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...epics-and-a-mod-download-to-make-them-usable/

Apparently Cauldrons are already in 1.9Pre2 but they simply weren't assigned a block ID. Someone made a super simple mod that adds a crafting recipes and gives them a proper ID so you can build them. More so they're fully functional without any further modding.

Apparently you fill the cauldron with water, then mix in various ingredients - each of which add effects to the potion and changes the color. At any point you can use a bottle and scoop out some of the potion - each time lowering the liquid level in the cauldron by one, three times before it runs out. At any point you can add more water but it dilutes the potion and makes it weaker. Read the thread I posted, people have been experimenting and figuring out how to make the various potions.

It's pretty interesting, kind of makes me wish they kept the system now instead of replacing it with that little potion holder thingy in the screenshot. I hope we can still optionally mix potions in the cauldron just the for the hell of it, even if it's less effective.
Correct me if I read the thread wrong, but I saw something called "digspeed." Alchemy will increase mining speed?! For some reason that just made my night!

Ark

I just want a stable release so I can get on and build my kingdom :(

I have everything planned out in my head...Hopefully it'll prove to be just as epic in person too :p

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. I can't wait for the code freeze, optimization and release of the final release. I'll probably get back into servers when 1.9 hits. Then hopefully the final won't require new worlds to be started due to a bunch of new shit.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hey guys, any current servers? got some friends coming over and I wouldn't mind trying to sell them on minecraft and something to show off would be good :)

checked the ones in the OP therye not available ;_;

Emitan

HolyCheck said:
Hey guys, any current servers? got some friends coming over and I wouldn't mind trying to sell them on minecraft and something to show off would be good :)

checked the ones in the OP therye not available ;_;
Quote the post and they appear.

bengraven

So this is my chunk issue:

1) I made a world in 1.8, but didn't explore much of it because I knew after 1.9 I would want to generate the new biome information.

2) when 1.9 pre release came out, I wandered to the edges of my world, but was left with sheer, flat cliffs down into ocean. I saw some trees with the new swamp biome information a few dozen blocks away in one direction, but testing every other direction there was only ocean as far as I could see. When I finally downloaded flyer.jar, I literally flew for 5 minutes in each direction and no new chunks.

3) I download MCedit.

4) I cut down my map a bit, hoping maybe the chunks will autoupdate. Nothing happens.

5) I create a new world and using MCedit I edit in my house/village from my 1.8 world into a new world, but that world isn't creating any chunks beyond a certain point.

What the fuck....

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
bengraven said:
5) I create a new world and using MCedit I edit in my house/village from my 1.8 world into a new world, but that world isn't creating any chunks beyond a certain point.

What the fuck....

Is the transition from land to ocean just sheer cliffs as in your 1.8->1.9 world or a smooth transition from land to ocean?

I ask because oceans are very large now and it can take a long time to cross them to more land.

bengraven said:
So this is my chunk issue:

1) I made a world in 1.8, but didn't explore much of it because I knew after 1.9 I would want to generate the new biome information.

2) when 1.9 pre release came out, I wandered to the edges of my world, but was left with sheer, flat cliffs down into ocean. I saw some trees with the new swamp biome information a few dozen blocks away in one direction, but testing every other direction there was only ocean as far as I could see. When I finally downloaded flyer.jar, I literally flew for 5 minutes in each direction and no new chunks.

3) I download MCedit.

4) I cut down my map a bit, hoping maybe the chunks will autoupdate. Nothing happens.

What the fuck....

How exactly did you cut your world down? Did you use the "prune" button?

When I edited my map I selected a large area around my base and then the prune button has an option (dont remember exact wording) that prunes everything that isn't selected. I did mine this way and it has had no problems generating new chunks.

mcrae

my community 'industrial' farm is finally complete!

qAHL3.jpg

a gaffer pointed out that in the earlier version, passive mobs could spawn and walk over crops, so i replaced all the grass with stone/cobblestone.

the two bigger lanes each have a ~340 wheat capacity, and the smaller one about 170. you can flood each of them individually, there are three levers on the tower at the bottom tier of the farm. (bottom right of the picture)

the farm is at about -450, 450, right near the giant mushroom tower you can see on the right in the picture. if you are approaching pioneer from spawn, its on your right.

Xun

Grinchy said:
Damn I never thought about a Minecraft 2...

No more Java? Physics? Hmm it could be interesting.
Would be good.

I just don't see that happening because of how stubborn Notch is.

Java is the reason it runs bad on a lot of perfectly capable machines.

mcrae said:
a gaffer pointed out that in the earlier version, passive mobs could spawn and walk over crops, so i replaced all the grass with stone/cobblestone.
Just wanted to make sure more people know this, but passive mobs no longer spawn only on grass (since 1.8). They can spawn on any solid block now, but they spawn on the highest one (ie. one that can see the sky). So to truly prevent mobs from spawning in there you would have to put a roof over the whole thing :p

Jhriad

Treefingers said:
Just wanted to make sure more people know this, but passive mobs no longer spawn only on grass (since 1.8). They can spawn on any solid block now, but they spawn on the highest one (ie. one that can see the sky). So to truly prevent mobs from spawning in there you would have to put a roof over the whole thing :p

Oooh. This must not be working properly 100% since I've seen sheep spawn in abandoned mineshafts.

Just thought I would post this for those that may be interested. I seem to have stumbled onto 1 of the strong holds on the Neocraft server. You can find it at the following coordinates :-

x - +1027
z - -343

I have built a lil stone building around it and added enough torches so you should be able to see it if you go to those coordinates.

Jhriad said:
Oooh. This must not be working properly 100% since I've seen sheep spawn in abandoned mineshafts.
Yeah I'm not too sure about that case..are you sure they spawned in there? Cause my guess would be they wandered into a cave and eventually got down there. Which would make sense given that they don't despawn anymore.

celebi23

CharmingCharlie said:
Just thought I would post this for those that may be interested. I seem to have stumbled onto 1 of the strong holds on the Neocraft server. You can find it at the following coordinates :-

x - +1027
z - -343

I have built a lil stone building around it and added enough torches so you should be able to see it if you go to those coordinates.
Thanks for finding that :D You wanna PM ark and see if he'll set up a warp for that building? That might be easier than having someone always down there and then tp to them.

Emitan

Oh god I haven't been on in days. Considering how fast this server moves the whole world is going to look different! And what have you assholes done to my mine? I know you're all jealous of how many diamonds I'm finding!

Jhriad

Treefingers said:
Yeah I'm not too sure about that case..are you sure they spawned in there? Cause my guess would be they wandered into a cave and eventually got down there. Which would make sense given that they don't despawn anymore.

It was near 10 Y so 54 below the surface and there were no close access shafts after exploring around.

Top Bottom