• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ashodin

Here's the picture of the current building area in the world so far.
The shaven desert coast (HA!) you see is from transplanting the world from 1.9 to 1.9.2. It's like a TARDIS for the world!
mcmap5da8.png

EDIT: Larger overview

mcmapfullzu56.png

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Jhriad said:
Anyone making a mob grinder on Neocraft?

I could make one. It would get me alot of cobble which I need to stockpile anyway. Maybe I'll start a grinder this afternoon. I'll build most of it underground so we don't have a huge square skyscraper outside of Pioneer town.

Emitan

Mengy said:
I could make one. It would get me alot of cobble which I need to stockpile anyway. Maybe I'll start a grinder this afternoon. I'll build most of it underground so we don't have a huge square skyscraper outside of Pioneer town.
I keep giving away cobble. Need some?

As promised, screenshots of my Lava-Water reversal project. I used MCEdit on a copy of my vast world to swap water and lava. All still and flowing water in the overworld became lava, and all still and flowing lava in the Nether became water. It took quite a while for MCEdit to complete the swap, but the results are interesting and well worth it.

The Overworld

netherwater21.jpg

netherwater22.jpg

netherwater12.jpg

netherwater9.jpg

netherwater6.jpg

netherwater5.jpg

netherwater10.jpg

The overworld in an ice biome. I forgot to transform the ice above the water, meaning that a MASSIVE chain reaction was taking place when I got there

netherwater4.jpg

netherwater3.jpg

netherwater2.jpg

The Nether. Note that all the Pigmen felt compelled to leap into the water for a swim and seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.

netherwater16.jpg

waternether.jpg

netherwater20.jpg

netherwater17.jpg

netherwater13.jpg

netherwater14.jpg

Old and new chunks meet in The Nether. Note that the wall of obsidian only forms when you disrupt the area, instantly spreading across the landscape

netherwater15.jpg

netherwater18.jpg

netherwater19.jpg

Billychu said:
Does MCEdit have find and replace functionality? Or did you do this by hand?

Yes. Just select the entire area, select "Fill and replace", select the material you want replacing, and select the material you want to replace it with, and hit REPLACE.

Depending on the size of the area you may be waiting a couple of minutes. Then you'll see it complete, then save the map.

On the server I run, this came in very useful when dealing with a fire spreading across massive forests. I just replaced all instances of "fire blocks" with "ice blocks", causing some unique ice forests that had my players in awe.

Ashodin

Ark said:
Or you know, you could have just mined & placed the obsidian ;)
That's not what I meant - the nature of how we tried to install it the first time was that it was done with wool on top to simulate a neat looking hot tub. Then the wool caught on fire even though the lit fire beneath the hot tub (for smoke simulating effects) was covered by water.

Maxrpg said:
That's not what I meant - the nature of how we tried to install it the first time was that it was done with wool on top to simulate a neat looking hot tub. Then the wool caught on fire even though the lit fire beneath the hot tub (for smoke simulating effects) was covered by water.

Sounds crazy. But the effect is nice.

Ashodin

NihonTiger90 said:
Sounds crazy. But the effect is nice.
It's awesome considering you can hang out outside in the tub, feel the smoke (go deeper if you wish to get full submersion) and feel like you're chilling out under the stars.

This was posted earlier on Twitter by Jeb, didn't see it on here.

@jeb_ (via Twitter)
The wiki has already found the basic "clean" potions that don't require a lot of work: http://bit.ly/nh8Uui
(link)

In the prerelease, there are 161 brewable unique potions. Unless we change it, there will be 2,653 with all ingredients added.
(link)

That's a lot!

BUWpFm.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow 1.8 looks like a lot of fun!

How does this work when you upgrade, do you need to spawn a brand new world to get all the additions?

Blizzard

Banned
Houston3000 said:
This was posted earlier on Twitter by Jeb, didn't see it on here.

@jeb_ (via Twitter)
The wiki has already found the basic "clean" potions that don't require a lot of work: http://bit.ly/nh8Uui
(link)

In the prerelease, there are 161 brewable unique potions. Unless we change it, there will be 2,653 with all ingredients added.
(link)

That's a lot!
The generic names combined with the variety of effects make me think of Nethack!

Blizzard

Banned
Billychu said:
Can we make a sign with Elbereth written on it to protect us from monsters?
You see something written here in the dust.
"Elberet_"

The jabberwock hits! The jabberwock hits! The jabberwock hits!

Grinchy

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
As promised, screenshots of my Lava-Water reversal project. I used MCEdit on a copy of my vast world to swap water and lava. All still and flowing water in the overworld became lava, and all still and flowing lava in the Nether became water. It took quite a while for MCEdit to complete the swap, but the results are interesting and well worth it.
Wow this is so awesome. Nice work!

kodt

Banned
Luminate said:
So the only thing keeping me from buying Minecraft is some rumor I heard over a year ago about how you would be charged for every update if you weren't part of Alpha. Does that hold any semblance of truth to it?

If you buy in Beta you get all future updates, the final version, and future patches for free.

People that bought in Alpha get that and future expansion packs (ie: future paid content, none of which has even been announced yet) for free.

Mengy

Man, just looking around the Neocraft dropbox map of the server, and I can already see that people have spread around quite a bit and there are a few large projects underway. I'm tempted to start my next big project, but I'm still a bit afraid of the impact of 1.9 on Neocraft. I would hate to start it and then have to lose all of that work. I may just collect materials until 1.9 gets released.

On another note, ravines and abandoned mines are the two best things to hit Minecraft since colored wools. Maybe even since biomes. I found a really huge underground ravine last night, spent all night just exploring it. It went from Y=52 down to Y=12, the lava layer. 40 blocks deep, and I tunneled into the ceiling from above! Several waterfalls poured into the lava lakes at the bottom creating a beautiful effect. There is no feeling more awesome in this game than peering down into a huge underground abyss that is completely dark except for the glow of the lava lakes at it's bottom.

Emitan

Everyone on the server is making me feel stupid because I can't think of cool stuff to build. But I have a shitload of diamonds, so HA!

Mengy

Billychu said:
Everyone on the server is making me feel stupid because I can't think of cool stuff to build. But I have a shitload of diamonds, so HA!

I have yet to find a single diamond on Neocraft 1.8. I've been spending all of my time underground exploring ravines, mines, digging tunnels, but have yet to see even one diamond. I guess I'm just having really bad luck, LOL!

Emitan

Mengy said:
I have yet to find a single diamond on Neocraft 1.8. I've been spending all of my time underground exploring ravines, mines, digging tunnels, but have yet to see even one diamond. I guess I'm just having really bad luck, LOL!
You need to build branch mines. My mine is getting huge.

bengraven

Don't feel bad, Billy. I have never made a single thing decent thing on NeoCraft. My little Japanese garden was decent and I think one person said it was kind of "natural looking and nice" but other than that, I have never gotten a compliment.

I'm not saying this because I feel bad about it, or I feel the community hates me (lol), I'm saying this because I acknowledge that I don't really make impressive, original stuff and I think what I make is pretty boring and standard to others as well.

I just like to make things that feel "homey" and I'm done. And I'm happy!

Ark

Quick note; please try and stick to the currently explored areas of NeoCraft (use the map for reference). We've already seen someone in this thread post their 1.8 to 1.9 world transition and it was basically the same that we had before on our old map.

Also; still can't get this fucking MCEdit to work. I'm determined to do this.

Ark said:
Quick note; please try and stick to the currently explored areas of NeoCraft (use the map for reference). We've already seen someone in this thread post their 1.8 to 1.9 world transition and it was basically the same that we had before on our old map.

Just wondering, do you guys run a standard Minecraft server for Neocraft? If so, have you considered switching to Bukkit? In this case, you could use Voxelsniper - a far greater, and in some ways more powerful version of MCEdit, which you can actually use in-game.

limlark

Mengy said:
You really must be! I'm at 51 :p

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, that's a slick looking dam. Adorable too. Makes me wish the game would generate natural waterfalls instead of just water blocks that run down. I mean fairly deep bodies of water at higher elevations than the ocean but near an ocean or river so we can connect them and make actual dams and waterfalls.

Unfortunately, it would once again require a world restart.

Ark

Ubermatik said:
Just wondering, do you guys run a standard Minecraft server for Neocraft? If so, have you considered switching to Bukkit? In this case, you could use Voxelsniper - a far greater, and in some ways more powerful version of MCEdit, which you can actually use in-game.

Unless Voxelsniper can import map pieces from an external source that I'm unaware of, it would make no difference :)

Emitan

Step 1 - Build a long hallway underground
nMolQ.png

Step 2 - Build hallways perpendicular to that one with two blocks in between
BDXM9.png

Step 3- Find stuff

Jhriad

Ark said:

We'll probably need to delete the Nether soon. If you zoom out quite a bit it looks like Segnit has popped out waaaay outside the map and started exploring.

Ark

spuit*11 said:
If you need any help placing the ark and/or cutting the map down just holler.

I'll give it another go, if that fails, I'll hang my head in shame and PM you :p

Ubermatik said:
You can copy and paste sections from one map onto another...?

With MCEdit? Yes :) To be fair, I did actually install VoxelSniper, but I never figured out how to use the damn thing. It would just never work.

In super-awesome good news, I finally worked out how to use the FTP to the server .... turns out I had the wrong FTP client (LOL, I'm so good at this). So the Nether is now reset, and will be reset again come 1.9 (for obvious reasons). This also means I can upload more mods, should we desire :eek:

Jasoco said:
Yeah, that's a slick looking dam. Adorable too. Makes me wish the game would generate natural waterfalls instead of just water blocks that run down. I mean fairly deep bodies of water at higher elevations than the ocean but near an ocean or river so we can connect them and make actual dams and waterfalls.

I'm not fond of infinite water sources. I think it should be that a body of water over a certain amount, say 20 or more blocks, can produce an infinite source. That way, making a waterfall would require a little more planning than placing a block.

Top Bottom