• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Another shot from Lavaland, in which all the water is lava, and (in The Nether) all the lava is water.

lavaworld.jpg

The sizzling during rain and snow is amazing.

EDIT

One more during rain. SIZZLE

lavaland.jpg

Okay one more

onemore.jpg

I wish there was an optional mode that spawned worlds with acidic oceans, there's certainly a sense of achievement in getting to far lands when swimming is not an option.

Ark said:
I'm curious, does all that lava and it's affects damage your performance at all?

Strangely no, it runs perfectly. There is literally no performance degradation, even during chain reactions (like ocean chunks spawning next to lava chunks creating walls of obsidian, or ice melting on the lava).

EDIT

For example, this constantly-changing chain reaction (in which lava-water melts the ice above, which creates a layer of water) works full speed no prob:

chainreaction.jpg

L00P

Man, breeding is so broken right now. And there's also that infinite wheat bug. I love it

Better save up lots of meat before it gets nerfed!

Grinchy

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Strangely no, it runs perfectly. There is literally no performance degradation, even during chain reactions (like ocean chunks spawning next to lava chunks creating walls of obsidian, or ice melting on the lava).

EDIT

For example, this constantly-changing chain reaction (in which lava-water melts the ice above, which creates a layer of water) works full speed no prob:
I'm just curious....if I started a brand new map and did what you did, would it be really fast? And would my world always have water=lava and lava=water? Or would it just be the small area I had spawned in? I've never used mcedit or anything before.

mcrae

Grinchy said:
I'm just curious....if I started a brand new map and did what you did, would it be really fast? And would my world always have water=lava and lava=water? Or would it just be the small area I had spawned in? I've never used mcedit or anything before.

its just the area you edit, thats why when he explores further, walls of obsidian form where new chunks with water are generated

celebi23

Rabbit Lord said:
Heres some of what I have been working on since the new map.

The start of a castle city

dV78a.png

iTAKa.png

and an underground hall/temple thing.

hgMXH.png

WKh9o.png

AMAZING! Is it near the village? What's the texture pack you're using? Might have to give that a shot

Grinchy

Banned
mcrae said:
its just the area you edit, thats why when he explores further, walls of obsidian form where new chunks with water are generated
Ah, right. That makes sense.

I really want to make a whole new world with water/lava reversal. That shit is awesome.

guest1321

Rabbit Lord: I haven't been on the NeoCraft server in quite a while. What you have done there is inspiring my creative side and making me pissed that for the first time in a while that I want to get on and build something really cool I have midterms. The pillars against the walls are looking really cool!

Segnit

Banned
Jhriad said:
We'll probably need to delete the Nether soon. If you zoom out quite a bit it looks like Segnit has popped out waaaay outside the map and started exploring.

Yeap popped outside the nether and couldn't find the portal. So I went for a walk thinking that I would surely come across some familiar object, alas I was wrong. I had no idea someone could walk that far in the nether in such a short space.

Was frustrated until I remembered tectonicous. I had a look and couldn't find myself then I zoomed out and said "Oh my. I hope no one notices" :p

Jhriad

Segnit said:
Yeap popped outside the nether and couldn't find the portal. So I went for a walk thinking that I would surely come across some familiar object, alas I was wrong. I had no idea someone could walk that far in the nether in such a short space.

Was frustrated until I remembered tectonicous. I had a look and couldn't find myself then I zoomed out and said "Oh my. I hope no one notices" :p

You can always /warp pioneer to get back to the pioneer village.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Jhriad said:
You can always /warp pioneer to get back to the pioneer village.

BAH! That takes all the fun out of getting lost and finding your way back home, which is half of the fun of Minecraft!

I need to make a custom skin for myself with the word WARP on my chest and a red circle with a hash through it over it, lol.

Grinchy

Banned
Mengy said:
BAH! That takes all the fun out of getting lost and finding your way back home, which is half of the fun of Minecraft!

I need to make a custom skin for myself with the word WARP on my chest and a red circle with a hash through it over it, lol.
I know, I've really come to enjoy how I have to travel by rail in my SP world. Connecting areas I need to visit often (like little towns and villages that I make) is satisfying.

Segnit

Banned
Yeah I totally had fun getting lost but it was unintentional this time. The thing is though, I'll only ever be comfortable with true exploration in either single player or when I'm paying the bills and know that file sizes are not an issue. In this case I'm not paying the bills and therefore I'll try to leave as small a footprint as possible while still having fun.

Emitan

Mengy said:

Getting lost is great, but not when it makes the world way larger than it needs to be.

Mengy

Billychu said:
Getting lost is great, but not when it makes the world way larger than it needs to be.

I know. This is the only thing I don't like about Neocraft. I mean I love playing on the server, it's a great experience, but man that one thing is so huge for me. That freedom of exploration is really the only reason why I play single player at all anymore. And after 1.8 and 1.9, with the adventure additions to the game, it makes the exploration "limits" on the server even more depressing.

Multiplayer versus total freedom of exploration. It's one hell of a coin toss for me...

Just how rare are abandoned mineshafts?

It's odd, I've created a few new worlds since 1.8Pre came out, the first three worlds I created I discovered abandoned mineshafts right away after digging for a few minutes. In my most current world I created (in 1.9Pre1) I have been playing for a few nights and have navigated a significant portion of the underground and have yet to come across one.

That being said - ravines! I have the most awesome ravine near my base in my current SSP world and after exploring a bit I've ran across two or three more huge ones underground. I absolutely love these things, spelunking and then running into a huge deep gaping underground canyon is awesome, similarly just the deep ass holes you run across sometimes. It's fun to traverse down them and then, trying to light it so mobs don't spawn and jump on your head from above. It's kind of amazing to me how much more interesting mining and spelunking is in Minecraft now than it was in just 1.7x.

Ark

I'm gunna say this now: Try to keep within the current 'confines' for 1.8, and when it comes to 1.9, exploration will be more 'acceptable' (read: less bitching from me) :p

Mengy

Ark said:
I'm gunna say this now: Try to keep within the current 'confines' for 1.8, and when it comes to 1.9, exploration will be more 'acceptable' (read: less bitching from me) :p

Just to clarify so that everyone knows and it is in writing, what exactly is the confines of Neocraft 1.8? Should we simply stay on the current dropbox map that's been explored already, or stay within a set range of Pioneer Town? Just wondering how far from Pioneer Town is safe from the Cleansing God Hand of patch 1.9...

Ark

Mengy said:
Just to clarify so that everyone knows and it is in writing, what exactly is the confines of Neocraft 1.8? Should we simply stay on the current dropbox map that's been explored already, or stay within a set range of Pioneer Town? Just wondering how far from Pioneer Town is safe from the Cleansing God Hand of patch 1.9...

Basically, don't be that guy when out exploring. Try to stay around the area that's already discovered I guess.

I'm not really seeing much activity on the server anyway, so hopefully it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Houston3000 said:
Just how rare are abandoned mineshafts?

Get Cartograph G.
Made a regular map of your level, but only of block "Wooden plankt".
???
Profit

I didn't explore anything yet in my world, so my map is quite small, and I have 2 mineshafts very close to my spawn point.

Ranger X said:
Actually, abandoned mineshaft is like the new way for the engine to create caves, they are fucking everywhere! lol

I can't complain, I love it. By the way, Ranger X, the Epic Cave world that you shared some months ago is not generated in 1.9, but I found another one with A LOT of caves, and is now my default world. The seed is 1589547815

Ranger X

I'm currently exploring a ridiculously huge mineshaft/cave + a ravine in the middle in my SP world (well, my same old world, just that I travelled a bit to create new chunks).
Caves are more interesting than ever and seems to be even bigger and more complicated. I also love that there's loot everywhere and that I don't need to cut wood anymore since there's so many wooden planks down there ;)

b0neshank

Banned
If anyone is wanting a good island map use the seed:

beat box

It will create a island that spawns a single tree and has no visable larger land masses (actually I still haven't found anything above ground other than the island.) Under the island you will find mines that will assist you with food and wood (from chests and support beams.) It is actually pretty impressive of how isolated you feel with this map.

here is a over map of it after I played around on the main island

8ZF36.jpg

I just bought this yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's the best game I ever played. The fact that they tell you nothing at all about how to play it is great in a way. Starting out I was frustrated but looked up a beginners guide, from there I just think of an item I might need and look up the formula and implement it. It's so satisfying.

That said, when the game gets out of beta some subtle clues as how to build some really essential things should be provided.

Mengy

Jhriad said:
Anyone else having problems connecting to Neocraft?

I am. But then, that's because I'm at work and can't play right now because:

1. I'm too busy to play Minecraft at work and get away with it, and
2. Our network blocks stuff like that

When I get home though I'll be on the server, if I have problems connecting I'll post it.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Mengy said:
I am. But then, that's because I'm at work and can't play right now because:

1. I'm too busy to play Minecraft at work and get away with it, and
2. Our network blocks stuff like that

When I get home though I'll be on the server, if I have problems connecting I'll post it.

play in the browser :D

Top Bottom