• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Pocket Edition is out on the Android Market now

Works really well on my Galaxy S - seems a little limited but could definitely play around with it when the craving strikes.

Onemic

I have to know, since everyone one wont shut the hell up about this game, what makes it so special? I've been interested in trying the game, but then I look at the graphics and it tells me NO. What is there to do other than build shit?

Blizzard

Banned
onemic said:
I have to know, since everyone one wont shut the hell up about this game, what makes it so special? I've been interested in trying the game, but then I look at the graphics and it tells me NO. What is there to do other than build shit?
The randomly generated world gives a lot of stuff to explore. At its simplest, exploration and construction are probably the two big draws to the game, along with surviving.

Some people may like exploring a world that is different every time.
Some people may like the ability to essentially remake any mountain, cave, hill or ocean into whatever they want, or to build huge structures with their friends (like LEGOs).
Some people may like hiding from monsters, or hunting them.

That's not to say it's for everyone, but I think those are the general themes that appeal to people. :)

Jasoco

Banned
If you're not able to get passed the awesome graphics style, you're probably not meant to play it.

Watch some videos on YouTune for goodness sakes. There's thousands of them. I recommend the Yogscast for starters. Then some others.

onemic said:

That's how I was at first too, "This looks stupid.". But it grew on me very quickly playing the free version (even though there was a shit-ton of griefing going on). So I bought the game, hopped on the GAFland SMP, and boom shakalaka, here I am over a year later, still playing.

You're free to do whatever you want, really. Ultimate sandbox game. Build, explore, survive, goof around, shape the world at your will.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Billychu said:
Can't wait for Bethesda to claim they own dragons and then Bioware gets dragged into this whole mess.
I am fully expecting id to sue on the game using the commander keen alphabet, and them to get nothing but a minor "Ok, you guys have to stop using that Alphabet, enjoy your day id, you get $0"

Onemic

ArtistDude88 said:
That's how I was at first too, "This looks stupid.". But it grew on me very quickly playing the free version (even though there was a shit-ton of griefing going on). So I bought the game, hopped on the GAFland SMP, and boom shakalaka, here I am over a year later, still playing.

You're free to do whatever you want, really. Ultimate sandbox game. Build, explore, survive, goof around, shape the world at your will.

oh so everythings randomized when you jump in the game? Doesn't that mean the stuff you make doesnt get saved or am I missing something?

And whats the difference between the free version and the paid version? And what will this 2.0 update supposedly have?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
onemic said:
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Emitan

Fuck, my phone has this issue where for some reason anything reasonably graphics intensive like Flash or some games will cause it to reset. I can't play Minecraft :/

onemic said:
oh so everythings randomized when you jump in the game? Doesn't that mean the stuff you make doesnt get saved or am I missing something?

And whats the difference between the free version and the paid version? And what will this 2.0 update supposedly have?

Everything is randomized at world generation and when exploring new areas. Your progress gets saved as you go.

Free version just kind of shows some real basic gameplay elements if I remember correctly, paid version you can play survival, creative, and hardcore modes as well as join multiplayer servers. Theres tons of content you will only get if you pay for it.

The main feature we should have by 2.0 are working villages with NPC's that you can interact with and recieve quests from (right now they are just nameless guys that walk around randomly). I'm sure there will be other big features like a new alternate-realm to explore via portals (like the Nether), new stuff to craft (enchanting and potion making are on the way), and hopefully improvements to some existing stuff (like redstone which lets you make mechanical stuff like traps, automatic doors, etc.)

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
onemic said:

if you really want to know what minecraft is, watch this

onemic said:

The world is randomized (based on a seed) when you create it. From there you can save your game and reload whenever - it won't rebuild itself every time and you can create multiple worlds; however much hard drive space you have. That being said worlds are huge - it's impossible for you to see all of it without hacking. It's literally larger than the surface of the earth, almost exponentially!

As for what you do in the game. For all intents and purposes it's a action RPG without any storyline what-so-ever. The obvious tangent is you gain all your gear by mining deeper and deeper into the earth and uncovering rarer and rarer materials. Besides gear though your primary purpose for collecting materials is to build. Building options are virtually limitless - watch the youtube video where someone built the entire city from Blade Runner or scroll up and look at that screenshot that looks like SimCity. By yourself, in survival mode, it would take many hundreds upon hundreds of hours to accrue enough materials to build something like that so you're usually building single houses with farms and shit. In that way character customization comes in literally building machines, houses, buildings, statues, entire cities completely from scratch. Combine that with multiplayer and tons of people collaborating together and you should be able to see the appeal. I won't get too mucher deeper into it than that but there's monsters that roam the landscape and underground caves at night you have to fight off and protect yourself from to provide challenge (and lava).

On the other hand there's modes like Creative where you can fly and have infinite number of everything in the game JUST so you can build without fighting or collecting materials and you have Hardcore where, when you die, your world gets erased.

Onemic

Houston3000 said:
The world is randomized (based on a seed) when you create it. From there you can save your game and reload whenever - it won't rebuild itself every time and you can create multiple worlds; however much hard drive space you have. That being said worlds are huge - it's impossible for you to see all of it without hacking. It's literally larger than the surface of the earth, almost exponentially!

As for what you do in the game. For all intents and purposes it's a action RPG without any storyline what-so-ever. The obvious tangent is you gain all your gear by mining deeper and deeper into the earth and uncovering rarer and rarer materials. Besides gear though your primary purpose for collecting materials is to build. Building options are virtually limitless - watch the youtube video where someone built the entire city from Blade Runner or scroll up and look at that screenshot that looks like SimCity. By yourself, in survival mode, it would take many hundreds upon hundreds of hours to accrue enough materials to build something like that so you're usually building single houses with farms and shit. In that way character customization comes in literally building machines, houses, buildings, statues, entire cities completely from scratch. Combine that with multiplayer and tons of people collaborating together and you should be able to see the appeal. I won't get too mucher deeper into it than that but there's monsters that roam the landscape and underground caves at night you have to fight off and protect yourself from to provide challenge (and lava).

On the other hand there's modes like Creative where you can fly and have infinite number of everything in the game JUST so you can build without fighting or collecting materials and you have Hardcore where, when you die, your world gets erased.

You motherfuckers are getting to me....might just get this damn game based on GAF rep alone. Last question, what's the point of mp? Is it the main feature in minecraft and how does it work? And there's gear?!?!? like we're talking armor and wpns and stuff? Because all the minecraft ive seen have been of people messing around with the creative mode.

Kryten

kennah said:
The point of multiplayer is to form a community. It's the best way to play.

This. Single player is for exploring new builds before they are fully released, multiplayer is where shit gets done.

Blizzard

Banned
onemic said:
You motherfuckers are getting to me....might just get this damn game based on GAF rep alone. Last question, what's the point of mp? Is it the main feature in minecraft and how does it work? And there's gear?!?!? like we're talking armor and wpns and stuff? Because all the minecraft ive seen have been of people messing around with the creative mode.
Multiplayer just means you can explore, or build, or fight monsters, with other people instead of by yourself. You need to connect to a server like the NeoGAF server. A common problem can be that people grief others by destroying their buildings or whatever, so you want to find a good server where a community has formed and people aren't jerks etc.

Armor and weapons are pretty simple -- pants, helmets, swords, bow and arrows. There are a few different degrees of each one which determines how long it lasts (and maybe how much damage it does?). Minecraft is not really combat-focused like, say, Terraria might be.

Just remember, you don't HAVE to like something just because everyone else does. :p

bengraven

Blizzard said:
Multiplayer just means you can explore, or build, or fight monsters, with other people instead of by yourself. You need to connect to a server like the NeoGAF server. A common problem can be that people grief others by destroying their buildings or whatever, so you want to find a good server where a community has formed and people aren't jerks etc.

Armor and weapons are pretty simple -- pants, helmets, swords, bow and arrows. There are a few different degrees of each one which determines how long it lasts (and maybe how much damage it does?). Minecraft is not really combat-focused like, say, Terraria might be.

Just remember, you don't HAVE to like something just because everyone else does. :p

Basically this.

It's hard to describe how powerful being able to build things together or exploring the world together or descending into natural caverns with a buddy can be.

Onemic

Blizzard said:

Oh trust me, I'm getting interested just based off the extra info I'm learning about this game. I literally thought it was just a building creator that everyone was getting giddy over.

Been watching some of the videos and I might just spend $20 on this thing, assuming those 2.0 updates are real.....I won't have to buy it again when 2.0 comes out right? right???

bengraven

Wanna build the Zelda overworld?

CmPQs.jpg

onemic said:
Oh trust me, I'm getting interested just based off the extra info I'm learning about this game. I literally thought it was just a building creator that everyone was getting giddy over.

Been watching some of the videos and I might just spend $20 on this thing, assuming those 2.0 updates are real.....I won't have to buy it again when 2.0 comes out right? right???

Buy it now and you're styling.

Also, there are thousands of texture packs if the old school textures don't please you. Some are pretty awesome and look beautiful like the Wind Waker and Animal Crossing ones and there are super high resolution ones that look kind of bizarre with the simple block graphics.

Jasoco

Banned
I had a dream to make the Zelda overworld once. I had it about 20% done. But mine was 1:1 block:tile ratio. But it was Pre-Halloween and there was no Creative mode yet.

Nice to see someone did design it. Is there a download anywhere, and does it include dungeons?

Though if you ask me, it looks too perfect. Like they used a computer to create it. Fuck that shit. I do things by hand, baby!

I want to play that.

Orlandu84

bengraven said:
Every time I tell myself to stop playing Minecraft, this thread keep dragging me back into the game with posts like the ones above me! It might take a minor miracle or apocalypse to stop my playing now;) In all seriousness though, the Zelda overworld in minecraft is the kind of thing that keeps me gaming:)

Zomba13

bengraven said:

http://i.imgur.com/CmPQs.jpg[IMG]

Buy it now and you're styling.

Also, there are thousands of texture packs if the old school textures don't please you. Some are pretty awesome and look beautiful like the Wind Waker and Animal Crossing ones and there are super high resolution ones that look kind of bizarre with the simple block graphics.[/QUOTE]
Scrolling down (having only focused on the picture) I was like 'wut the...' then it clicked and I was like '...oh. :O'

bengraven

It would be cool if you could create a Minecraft editor where you chose what block correlated to what color and then each pixel could be one block. Then it sits and thinks and tesselates and fucking reticulating splines and llamas or whatever and after like 5 minutes you have taken an old JPG and created a Minecraft world.

So you could take old maps from 8/16 bit games and let it create the world. You'd just have to build upwards to give it 3D.

I'm sure something similar exists, but since I'm obviously advocating something that takes little effort to make something cool then I'm the type that doesn't want to make the effort to find said program.

ArtistDude88 said:

Okay this is great.

http://minecraftstructureplanner.com/

You could import a picture of the map and have it convert into pixel art in MC colors, then use it as a guide :D

EDIT: I just realized, it's extremely frustrating to play with music blocks in creative mode because you break the dang block on left click. I just want to quickly hear what the note's at >:|

B3ASTMODE

so I bought minecraft yesterday and have been messing around and its really fun. I went into the Neocraft server and explored a bit, but couldn't do anything. help?

Emitan

B3ASTMODE said:
so I bought minecraft yesterday and have been messing around and its really fun. I went into the Neocraft server and explored a bit, but couldn't do anything. help?
PM Ark with your Minecraft name.

Blizzard

Banned
onemic said:

By the way, another good point I didn't bring up is that I think there are a lot of mods to the game. In addition to texture packs so everyone can use stuff that matches their own preferences, I think there are mods to add more items, more animals, and all kinds of crazy stuff. One project is even putting a bunch of pokemon, and possibly the pokemon overworld, into Minecraft so you can catch 'em all. I think another server mod pitted two player teams against each other in some sort of territory war.

Basically it's not only a crazy sandbox game in the sense that each new world is different and you can literally destroy it down to the bedrock and shape it as you want, but also because you can have servers/mods with different textures, crazy gameplay, or whatever, and you just need the basic game to start with.

Jasoco

Banned
Seriously... where can I download that Zelda world? I want to play in it! Especially if it's a Survival map and has caves. (But by the looks of that suspicious black doorway, I suspect the creator didn't put the love and attention it needs and didn't even create the starting cave. Whaaaaaaaaa--

Onemic

well maybe I wont buy this game because the site has one of the most infuriating storefronts I've used in a while. After you put in your cc info you then have to login to moneybookers(wat?) which then keeps telling me my merchant email isnt the same or some bullshit, and I have to do the process all over again. I've tried to buy this game for the past 20 minuntes to no avail. :<<<<<<<

EDIT: Okay fixed the problem, why do you have to put your cc info twice? they really got to get their own purchasing system in place, because this moneybookers shit is dumb as fuck

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
onemic said:
well maybe I wont buy this game because the site has one of the most infuriating storefronts I've used in a while. After you put in your cc info you then have to login to moneybookers(wat?) which then keeps telling me my merchant email isnt the same or some bullshit, and I have to do the process all over again. I've tried to buy this game for the past 20 minuntes to no avail. :<<<<<<<

EDIT: Okay fixed the problem, why do you have to put your cc info twice? they really got to get their own purchasing system in place, because this moneybookers shit is dumb as fuck
what? i remb doing it through paypal. toke 5 mins. but that was in alpha days.

Onemic

Complex Shadow said:
what? i remb doing it through paypal. toke 5 mins. but that was in alpha days.

nope definately no paypal option.

Okay everythings set up, but when I open mp, no servers show up. Please dont tell me that their mp interface is so archaic you have to manually add servers. It will make me cry.

Emitan

onemic said:
nope definately no paypal option.

Okay everythings set up, but when I open mp, no servers show up. Please dont tell me that their mp interface is so archaic you have to manually add servers. It will make me cry.
If by archaic you mean the game is still in beta, yes.

Blizzard

Banned
bandresen said:
Let's all revisit this post when Minecraft launches 11/11/11 and it still won't have a server browser.
There's a server list for the original version, but who knows if it'll ever come up for the new one.

At any rate, there should be a GAF server IP around here somewhere, maybe in the OP? Any other server suggestions for someone new?

*edit* Since you just downloaded the newest version, you're going to have problems, since the servers listed near the OP are running old software. Sorry to disappoint you. =P Give single player a try until someone suggests a new server, I guess!

Emitan

Blizzard said:
There's a server list for the original version, but who knows if it'll ever come up for the new one.

At any rate, there should be a GAF server IP around here somewhere, maybe in the OP? Any other server suggestions for someone new?

*edit* Since you just downloaded the newest version, you're going to have problems, since the servers listed near the OP are running old software. Sorry to disappoint you. =P Give single player a try until someone suggests a new server, I guess!
No. Official release is 1.8.1. GAF server is on 1.8.1

Top Bottom