• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Grinchy

Banned
My SP progression is to punch a few trees down, then immediately make a pick. I don't bother with any other wood items because stone never seems to be far away.

Grinchy said:
My SP progression is to punch a few trees down, then immediately make a pick. I don't bother with any other wood items because stone never seems to be far away.

My SP is always:

Punch two trees, get 8 wood, convert 6 of them to 24 planks. 4 planks to 8 sticks. 4 planks for craft table. 2 sticks and 3 planks for wood pickaxe. Break craft table.

Find a mountain with stone, mine a hole of 1x2 and, inside, 5x5x3. Add craft table. Use 2 sticks and 3 stone for stone pickaxe. 6 planks for door, add door to the "house".

Then, if I saw visible coal, mine 4 coal. If not, make a furnace and create 2 charcoal. Make torches, light inside the house and also outside, around the door. Then, if I still have time, look for sheeps to make a bed.

Rapstah

bengraven said:
Fucking Notch. Did you see the list of translated enchantments?

"the elder scrolls klaatu berata niktu xyzzy bless curse light darkness fire air earth water hot dry cold wet ignite snuff embiggen twist shorten stretch fiddle destroy imbue galvanize enchant free limited range of towards inside sphere cube self other ball mental physical grow shrink demon elemental spirit animal creature beast humanoid undead fresh stale"
The Elder Scrolls is obvious
xyzzy is a Minesweeper cheat.
embiggen is a Simpsons reference.

Yaska

bengraven said:
I've heard the Pocket Edition is just creative mode. You'll later get the basic survival that the majority of pay users play. And it will be totally awesome.

For now just build shit.
It has multiplayer but yeah, essentially it's just creative mode with unlimited amount of limited amount of blocks.

Kuran

Banned
Haven't played seriously since last December, always held off for a 'final'-y update since things started breaking in-between updates.

Really looking forward to playing soon, I hope the dragons make it in!

Complex Shadow said:
any one know what the exact effects of the enchantments will be??

Check out some of the 'bluexephos' videos on Youtube, one of the latest Minecraft updated related ones showed the enchantments and its effects.

Run faster, heal, poison, more damage, ...

Ark

Complex Shadow said:
oh common man. i have classes too but i still keep up to date. j/k

yea it will be in a boss world or something like that.

Roaming world dragon bosses?! YES PLEASE NOTCH.

Also yeah... next time I'll just read the thread :p

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
bengraven said:
I've heard the Pocket Edition is just creative mode. You'll later get the basic survival that the majority of pay users play. And it will be totally awesome.

For now just build shit.

Blizzard

Banned
onemic said:
So confused right now. Is it better to jump into mp first or sp, because I have no idea what to do on the GAF servers. monsters dont even come out at night(at least in that city place im in)
Singleplayer will probably help you learn the game mechanics more easily, and you can experience the joy of survivings your first few nights in dirt hovels. :p

Rapstah said:
Wow, I had practically forgotten the Minesweeper use. The original use should be from here though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

undu

Rapstah said:
klaatu "berata" niktu is a reference to "The Day the Earth Stood Still" :)

Grinchy said:
Wooden tools work well in the beginning, extraordinarily cheap (literally, an axe is made of a single log's worth of wood) and not too much weaker than stone; they break a lot faster, but they're not too much weaker. That axe won't last you very long but you'll get more wood with it than waiting until you find cobblestone when you're in a rush at the beginning of the game. A wooden sword is like 1/2 a log worth of wood and really helpful now that animals run away when you hit them (makes killing sheep with your hands difficult) even if you don't use it all you can use it to break cobwebs, pumpkins, leaves, etc afterwards faster than you can with your hands - it'll cause more durability damage to the sword but who gives a shit? If you're building more than a single wooden axe, pick, or sword anyways you're doing it very wrong.

Shovel and hoe are the only tools I don't make wood versions of. Hoe for obvious reasons because by the time you start farming you're usually over-encumbered with cobblestone anyways and shovels because they break too easy with all the dirt you dig.

Grinchy

Banned
Houston3000 said:
Wooden tools work well in the beginning, extraordinarily cheap (literally, an axe is made of a single log's worth of wood) and not too much weaker than stone; they break a lot faster, but they're not too much weaker. That axe won't last you very long but you'll get more wood with it than waiting until you find cobblestone when you're in a rush at the beginning of the game. A wooden sword is like 1/2 a log worth of wood and really helpful now that animals run away when you hit them (makes killing sheep with your hands difficult) even if you don't use it all you can use it to break cobwebs, pumpkins, leaves, etc afterwards faster than you can with your hands - it'll cause more durability damage to the sword but who gives a shit? If you're building more than a single wooden axe, pick, or sword anyways you're doing it very wrong.

Shovel and hoe are the only tools I don't make wood versions of. Hoe for obvious reasons because by the time you start farming you're usually over-encumbered with cobblestone anyways and shovels because they break too easy with all the dirt you dig.
That's all true, and if you find yourself spawned in an area where there isn't any immediate stone, then wood tools will suffice.

However, I can't remember any worlds I spawned in where I didn't have stone very much nearby. Like, I can see stone as I'm punching down trees. Why fill my inventory with inferior tools? I go right for the stone, baby! Then, of course, once things get settled, I get iron/diamond tools as quickly as possible. I have come to love those.

Blizzard

Banned
Considering stone should be anywhere in any minecraft world ever by digging a staircase downwards in the dirt, I can hardly imagine difficulty finding it. It seems much more likely that you might spawn in the middle of a desert with no trees within 20 minutes walking distance.

Drazgul

Blizzard said:
spawn in the middle of a desert with no trees within 20 minutes walking distance.

The desert biomes aren't that big. Would be nice if they (rarely) were as big as the ocean biomes we have now. :p

But yeah, making a wooden shovel and just digging down is faster than trying to find stone deposits in the beginning.

Grinchy

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
Always has to be one person who clicks the dislike button, and the vid is unlisted and was only shared here, so it was one of you GAF people sadface :p
Why do you think I call myself "grinchy?"

lol jk it wasnt me

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
ArtistDude88 said:
<3

Always has to be one person who clicks the dislike button, and the vid is unlisted and was only shared here, so it was one of you GAF people sadface :p
it was me mwahahahaha

celebi23 said:
Can't wait until 1.9 so I can finally start breeding some animals :D
i know =D

i am gonna fuck with so many sheep.

Complex Shadow said:
i know =D

i am gonna fuck with so many sheep.
ew97O.gif

Onemic

Ok I think I've gotten used to what I should do in minecraft. Is mp the same, at least on the gaf server? What do you guys do there?

Oh and where the hell does charcoal/oil drop? I can only fine iron ore and cobberstone in my area and I'm afraid of venturing out too much and losing my way back to my house. Not only that I cant go into any of the caves as there's no light source.(that is unless I had a set of torches, which I don't)

Ranger X

onemic said:
Ok I think I've gotten used to what I should do in minecraft. Is mp the same, at least on the gaf server? What do you guys do there?

Oh and where the hell does charcoal/oil drop? I can only fine iron ore and cobberstone in my area and I'm afraid of venturing out too much and losing my way back to my house. Not only that I cant go into any of the caves as there's no light source.(that is unless I had a set of torches, which I don't)

For other minerals you need to go deeper. So go make yourself some torches,weapons and armor. :p

Blizzard

Banned
onemic said:

Coal is in caves and possibly exposed cliff faces. Charcoal is made from...putting wood of some sort in a furnace, if I recall correctly. First you need to craft a furnace from cobblestone, then harvest a bunch of wood, then use a little of the wood to fuel the furnace, and THEN I think you can use charcoal for torches. It's been a while. =P

CharmingCharlie said:
onemic I don't know if you have done this yet but make a bed :-

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Bed

If you craft a bed, put it in your house and sleep in it then that becomes the new spawn point. It also allows you to skip night time.
Bear in mind that you want to sleep in a well-lighted area away from walls. Also bear in mind that if you skip night time, especially early on, you miss out on the entertaining/terrifying night time portion of the game where things come to eat you in your dark dirt hovel. :p

Onemic

Blizzard said:
Coal is in caves and possibly exposed cliff faces. Charcoal is made from...putting wood of some sort in a furnace, if I recall correctly. First you need to craft a furnace from cobblestone, then harvest a bunch of wood, then use a little of the wood to fuel the furnace, and THEN I think you can use charcoal for torches. It's been a while. =P

Bear in mind that you want to sleep in a well-lighted area away from walls. Also bear in mind that if you skip night time, especially early on, you miss out on the entertaining/terrifying night time portion of the game where things come to eat you in your dark dirt hovel. :p

Ya I already have a bed, didn't know that it made a spawn point though. One thing that I found odd though is that when I made a set of double doors for my house whenever I would go to sleep, a monster would somehow end up in my house and begin attacking me. My bed is located right beside a wall, is that the problem? So far I've been forced to go with just one door as it doesn't seem to make the monsters transport to my house when I sleep :/

And is the mp GAF server the same concept as the sp? I entered it yesterday and didn't know what the hell to do :(

Jasoco

Banned
Monsters won't spawn as long as there's enough light around the bed. And outside the walls if your bed is against the wall. I find if I have enough windows letting the light leak outside the walls, it will work fine.

Or build the bed inside a mountain so it's surrounded by stone and dirt.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
in my day, we didn't have a wiki or forum threads to help us in minecraft. we just put shit together hoping it would work. we built dirt houses and wer damn proud of em.

onemic said:
Ya I already have a bed, didn't know that it made a spawn point though. One thing that I found odd though is that when I made a set of double doors for my house whenever I would go to sleep, a monster would somehow end up in my house and begin attacking me. My bed is located right beside a wall, is that the problem? So far I've been forced to go with just one door as it doesn't seem to make the monsters transport to my house when I sleep :/

And is the mp GAF server the same concept as the sp? I entered it yesterday and didn't know what the hell to do :(

I believe you have to have 1 enough light and 2 it has to be at least two blocks away from where a monster could spawn. so if your wall is one block thick and a monster could spawn on the outside of the wall and your bed touches that wall the monster can spawn inside and attack you. kept happening to me too and thats the info i found on the wikia. I started keeping 1 block between all sides of my bed and walls.

Onemic

Last question, I promise :D. Besides the GAF server what do you guys think are the best/most fun/biggest servers to play on? I'm assuming in a game like minecraft that's so damn big the more people the better?

onemic said:

I think there's a known glitch that if you have double doors monsters can still attack you when you try to sleep.

onemic said:

You need to be two blocks from the outside to not get attacked in your sleep.

Unfortunately double doors are stupid. They're coded in such a way that, instead of making a separate door entity, the second door is simply a reversed regular door. Which also means it's reversed in functionality so when it's open the game considers it closed and when it's closed the game considers it open... for all purposes save for character collision. It causes weirdness in not only monster spawning but when you set up pressure plates and other redstone stuff it won't work properly with that second door.

Best bet would be to either A) stick with one door or B) just don't put your bed in the same room as the double door - make a multiroom house. If you haven't figured it out yet putting two wood planks side by side makes a Pressure Plate - if you place one in front of a door on the inside you can walk out without having to click and it will close automatically in both directions (you still have to click to open it from the outside though). Makes life easier, especially if you start adding multiple doors to your house.

I used to have no problem sleeping through the night until I upgraded to a recent version, and something changed and suddenly I couldn't get through a single night without being assaulted. It got pretty frustrating, since I kept everything inside well-lit, and I think there were torches on the outside too, but it just wasn't enough. It's fixable, but I liked the way my room was set up.

r1chard

Mechanized said:
I think there's a known glitch that if you have double doors monsters can still attack you when you try to sleep.
Yep. Stupid bug that'd take them a few seconds to fix, but means bedrooms can't have double doors unless one of them (the correct one) is open when you sleep.

Ark

oyriu.png

Just give me the word.

Haven't actually read into how this 'limited' support works, but I can't imagine it's too different to what we have now.

Drazgul

Ark said:
Just give me the word.

Haven't actually read into how this 'limited' support works, but I can't imagine it's too different to what we have now.

Note that it will require anyone wanting to join to install the mod as well; and quarries are pretty resource-intensive - a few dozen running simultaneously will kill most servers. Awesome mod tho, especially when paired with IndustrialCraft 2 & RedPower.

Ark

Drazgul said:
Note that it will require anyone wanting to join to install the mod as well; and quarries are pretty resource-intensive - a few dozen running simultaneously will kill most servers. Awesome mod tho, especially when paired with IndustrialCraft 2 & RedPower.

Bah, didn't read it was client-side.

EDIT: If 1.9 doesn't hit by the end of October, then I'm going to switch the server over to CommandBook and PermissionsBukkit during that final week (I know I've been saying that for the last week, but the end of the October is the only time that I actually have the free time to do so).

Top Bottom