• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Emitan

celebi23 said:
Damn. Well, with 1.9 you can at least breed them. I really hope it wasn't the guy with the house above part of my basement >_<
You mean me? (VelociraptorBill). I didn't do anything if you're the one with the farm under my house.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
tried hardcore mode, got full set of iron armour, explored an underground ravine, climbed out with all my spoils and got leonidas kicked back in the ravine by an enderman.

fml.

Ashodin

Pandaman said:
tried hardcore mode, got full set of iron armour, explored an underground ravine, climbed out with all my spoils and got leonidas kicked back in the ravine by an enderman.

fml.
THIS IS ENDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Also our 1.9.3 server is SNOWY!!!!
2011-10-07_23.24.194q7h.png

Jasoco

Banned
Complex Shadow said:
Same. The hell is moneybookers.
Did Paypal try to apply super high transaction fees or something? Because that's the only reason I could see for switching. I mean seriously, everyone has Paypal. But no one knows what a Moneybooker is. I wonder how recent it was. My brother bought the game a month and a half ago.

Yeah I'm seeing PayPal as well... so.. not sure what's up with that then.

Moneybookers system I assume is being used so they don't have to set up their own transaction system. Not everyone likes PayPal (actually no one should), if I were them I would add Google Checkout.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Jasoco said:
Did Paypal try to apply super high transaction fees or something? Because that's the only reason I could see for switching. I mean seriously, everyone has Paypal. But no one knows what a Moneybooker is. I wonder how recent it was. My brother bought the game a month and a half ago.
iirc, didnt paypal once hold the balance of notch's account hostage and their policy made it possible for it to be unrecoverable?

Onemic

shit must never have seen it. I just used the cc option and I had to use moneybookers. Im pretty sure minecraft.com is the only site where their cc transactions are done entirely through a 3rd party site that requires you to login to their system before purchasing.

Jasoco

Banned
You log into Minecraft.net so they can link your account to your money so they know that you paid when you try to connect to the game. You still have to log into whatever pay site you end up using as well for obvious reasons. It's not that unusual.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
onemic said:
shit must never have seen it. I just used the cc option and I had to use moneybookers. Im pretty sure minecraft.com is the only site where their cc transactions are done entirely through a 3rd party site that requires you to login to their system before purchasing.
steam requires you to login before you buy anything =/

Blizzard

Banned
Pandaman said:
iirc, didnt paypal once hold the balance of notch's account hostage and their policy made it possible for it to be unrecoverable?
Yeah, I seem to recall it was like $400,000 by the time he realized they were holding it hostage and claiming it was suspicious, during which time he could not withdraw. They were like, it might be confiscated by Paypal, but apparently he finally got it straightened out after making it public. I didn't realize you couldn't still pay via paypal though. *edit* It shows paypal as an option for me, plus a bunch of credit cards.

Pandaman said:

fml.
I lol'd in real life, endermen can actually push you around?

Grinchy

Banned
This payment talk got me thinking about the sales. I can't believe how many copies of this game have sold. Every one of them is deserved.

If we pretended that the average sale price was $10 (which is really lowballing), then that would be $37,000,000 in revenue. It must be somewhere closer to $50,000,000. I wonder how much of that has gone to Notch directly after taxes, overhead, and whatnot.

Blizzard

Banned
Grinchy said:
This payment talk got me thinking about the sales. I can't believe how many copies of this game have sold. Every one of them is deserved.

If we pretended that the average sale price was $10 (which is really lowballing), then that would be $37,000,000 in revenue. It must be somewhere closer to $50,000,000. I wonder how much of that has gone to Notch directly after taxes, overhead, and whatnot.
In addition to the 3.7 million sales, which would probably be good for any bargain-priced title, it's crazy that even after the price has gone up, the game steadily sells 7000-11000 copies every single day as far as I know.

I wonder what the per-day sales are for typical, popular digital titles. I suspect that sort of thing is never typically announced.

Jasoco

Banned
Can't find that Zelda map anywhere. Not even screenshots. There's like a few different people making the same map in Minecraft, but I can't find that one.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Blizzard said:
I lol'd in real life, endermen can actually push you around?
like all attacks hey knock you airborne and slightly off course, but because they teleport they can hit you when you're backing away. combine the two and my safe couple steps back became a flying backwards leap to death.

Sye d'Burns

SiteSeer said:
that same asshole killed all my chickens

Some asshole killed my chickens too. I had them outside the gate along with an invitation to take excess eggs or kill excess chickens. Bah.

Not cool. I wonder who it was.

Anyway, there's definitely something to be said for the hermitic life.

bengraven said:
Wanna build the Zelda overworld?

Is this real? World download? I neeeed it.

Reminds me though, have any of you tried the Zelda AdventureCraft? It's rad, man. I'd love to see someone do Zelda 1 in with AdventureCraft.

Blizzard

Banned
Does this mean Neocraft isn't whitelisted? Wouldn't whitelisting be a good idea to prevent griefing (such as people killing chickens) if possible?

Grinchy

Banned
Blizzard said:
In addition to the 3.7 million sales, which would probably be good for any bargain-priced title, it's crazy that even after the price has gone up, the game steadily sells 7000-11000 copies every single day as far as I know.

I wonder what the per-day sales are for typical, popular digital titles. I suspect that sort of thing is never typically announced.
Yeah it's absolutely insane.

10,000 copies per day is like $200,000 per day (lowballing again). I wonder how many businesses as small as his can claim they bring in that much money every day.

Blizzard said:
Does this mean Neocraft isn't whitelisted? Wouldn't whitelisting be a good idea to prevent griefing (such as people killing chickens) if possible?

Yes, yes it would. There seems to be a lot of griefing, and every time something happens people wonder why it's not as simple as putting on software that tells you who's done what. Then it all goes quiet again until the next time someone shits all over something. Not that it's really my place to make demands, but with the frequent problems we seem to be having, perhaps Ark should have a serious look into some combative measures.

There is a whitelisting system in place (the Citizen system) although anyone on GAF who pms Ark is able to be verified, so I suspect some may be taking advantage of this. We'd have to individually moderate averyone, which isn't really possible. One way griefing could potentially be combatted it through admin tools, such as one that is able to show who last placed or removed a specific block.

OgTheClever said:
There is a whitelisting system in place (the Citizen system) although anyone on GAF who pms Ark is able to be verified

Aye, so it's not much of a Whitelist, really. It's great that Neocraft's an accessible server, there just needs to be something additional in place to help crack down on dirty crims.

Ark

Mister_Bubbles said:
Aye, so it's not much of a Whitelist, really. It's great that Neocraft's an accessible server, there just needs to be something additional in place to help crack down on dirty crims.

There are a couple of things I have in mind, but until the 25th October, I'm seriously strapped for time.

The first thing being that I simply restart the citizen process. Keeping the people that are actively trusted (and donators/vets ofc) on the list, and removing everyone else. Could also possibly implement the Towny plugin to stop peasants (I'll promote people to peasants instead of straight to citizen) from possibly griefing any towns we create.

Onemic

So confused right now. Is it better to jump into mp first or sp, because I have no idea what to do on the GAF servers. monsters dont even come out at night(at least in that city place im in)

Rapstah

Ranger X said:
That's fucking awesome. I hope it will inspire Notch to create furnitures and decoration stuff.
That shelf block in the other room doesn't really look like it's made out of other blocks.

Ranger X

Rapstah said:
That shelf block in the other room doesn't really look like it's made out of other blocks.

I know, that's why I hope it's the beginning of a new inspiration. Actually, the toilet bowl is a new block too. Looks like there are wooden plates (already there since a while) and a new "quarter block" for the shelve yeah.

Guys I'm thinking of bitin' the bullet and getting a new laptop within the next month or so; can any of you offer any recommendations gaming wise? Never had a gaming rig/laptop before as I've never had the cash and my budget this time isn't too different (under £500 would be ideal).

It wouldn't need to play Crysis or anything, as I'm a console gamer by nature, but the idea of playing MC on max settings *drool*...

bengraven

Fucking Notch. Did you see the list of translated enchantments?

"the elder scrolls klaatu berata niktu xyzzy bless curse light darkness fire air earth water hot dry cold wet ignite snuff embiggen twist shorten stretch fiddle destroy imbue galvanize enchant free limited range of towards inside sphere cube self other ball mental physical grow shrink demon elemental spirit animal creature beast humanoid undead fresh stale"

EskimoJoe said:
Hate to spoil the party, but I don't think Notch made that. I think he just retweeted the picture from a guy who did. :/

Yeah, I learned that, but was like "eh" about editing.

onemic said:
So confused right now. Is it better to jump into mp first or sp, because I have no idea what to do on the GAF servers. monsters dont even come out at night(at least in that city place im in)
Monsters don't spawn where there's enough light so you won't see any monsters spawning inside a city with a bunch of torches, glowstones, and jack-o-lanterns. It's basically the mechanism to stay safe at night (build a box and light the inside - instant house)

Start with singleplayer, first priority will be to run around and break down trees. After a couple of minutes you should have a bunch of wood. Turn the wood into planks, then put four planks in a square to make a single Crafting Table, two planks one over another to make some sticks. Make an axe, a pick, and a sword:

EKhg4.jpg
9B87C.jpg
dUSqq.jpg

Break your table with your hands and recover it. You can use the pick to get Cobblestone/Coal and the axe to get wood. Get at least 8 Cobblestone and some more wood - if you see sheep kill them for their wool and try to get 3 pieces if possible. Build a good size hut by either digging out a hole or, if you have enough materials building a box. Put your crafting table back down inside and open it. Put the 8 Cobblestone around the outside in a box shape to make a furnace and place that next to the Crafting Table. If you have no coal then, in the furnace, place a handful of logs in the top and a handful of planks in the bottom slot to create some charcoal. Make torches by crafting a stick with a piece of charcoal on top of it and light your room. If you have extra cobble make some stone tools the same way you made the wood ones but with cobblestone instead of planks. If you got wool you can craft three wool with three planks underneath to make a bed - place it at least 2 blocks from any outside area and you can sleep to make it daytime again. When you wake up, put six planks in a door shape in your crafting table to make a door - break a two block high hole in your wall and, from the outside, place the door in the hole.

You can figure it out from there :)

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
As a newbie (downloaded PE demo), are there any tasks or goals I can follow or is it just building atm?

bengraven

Teetris said:
As a newbie (downloaded PE demo), are there any tasks or goals I can follow or is it just building atm?

I've heard the Pocket Edition is just creative mode. You'll later get the basic survival that the majority of pay users play. And it will be totally awesome.

For now just build shit.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Houston3000 said:
Get at least 5 Cobblestone and some more wood

8 Cobblestone.

Trench homes are preferred for your first night, they're faster to make (just dig a big 'ol hole) and safer from Zombie/Skelly break-ins or Enderman meddling.

A tall rectangle of 6 wood planks = a door. Place it from outside your house and you can safely look out, very good to have if you lack a bed (so you can see when it's safe to go out without drawing a monster's attention).

Top Bottom