• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Kayo-kun

eJawa said:
On the cheap server we rented, I built a giant Tardis right outside the town my girlfriend and I took over. I accidentally fell to my death countless times while building it...

Looks really nice.

By the way, what's the name of that texture pack?

Does MC have a save-as-you-go thingy? I was playing SP for hours and suddenly a storm knocks out my power. I was so bummed out that I had probably lost all that work... But to my surprise, it's all there! Normally I make a mental note to stop, and press the 'Save & Quit' button... I rarely ever play SP lol

Mirk

ArtistDude88 said:
Does MC have a save-as-you-go thingy? I was playing SP for hours and suddenly a storm knocks out my power. I was so bummed out that I had probably lost all that work... But to my surprise, it's all there! Normally I make a mental note to stop, and press the 'Save & Quit' button... I rarely ever play SP lol

In sp when you esc to the option menu the game saves.

Blizzard

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
I think it does autosave, yes, but instead of depending on it I'm paranoid and manually save often. In fact, I used to be so paranoid that I thought I should manually back up my world (which took forever with all the individual files). *edit* Or maybe it's just the options menu, yeah.

However, people used to get their world saves corrupted occasionally, and I don't seem to have noticed complaints here about that in the last several months. Were corrupted save files fixed for good, then?

Salaadin

I dont think my SP world has even been corrupted due to a power outage or anything like that.
My server world has issues whenever there is a power outage but the world itself is always in tact. One of the file related to it needs to be replaced though...cant remember which. Not a big deal since I regularly back up twice a week.

Ahhh good info to know! Now I won't worry so much about save & quitting lol

I've never played SP so much until recently with 1.8. I love creative mode!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
ArtistDude88 said:
Ahhh good info to know! Now I won't worry so much about save & quitting lol

I've never played SP so much until recently with 1.8. I love creative mode!

Yeah, I find creative mode a whole lot of fun too. I just put it on peaceful and play with building all manners of stuff, with different materials and architectures. I've found myself building a whole slew of prototype buildings that I intend to build on Neocraft eventually. One downside though is that I'm getting so outlandish with my prototypes that actually getting the materials to make them in a survival game is not going to be any small feat. But then it's also good to have goals to play for too.

I wish there was a better way of getting sandstone than stripping entire beaches and deserts. I think what I'm going to do on Neocraft is strip down a section of desert, but then lay a single layer of sand back over it when I'm done. That way it will look like a sunken section of desert instead of just a potmarked wasteland of clean stone blockies. Kind of like Minecraft's version of environmentally friendly strip mining. Either that or just throw down a layer of spare dirt and make it a grassy forest that never rains, lol.

So I haven't played consistently since a few months before that big Halloween update (last year?) and after a few false starts I'm thinking I may just create a new world and go all in again with some friends. Good time with the recent adventure update? Or does Notch have something in the hangar getting ready to release? Saw the dragon picture he did awhile back which looks cool. We're in no hurry but we don't really like starting worlds over again either.

VGChampion said:
So I haven't played consistently since a few months before that big Halloween update (last year?) and after a few false starts I'm thinking I may just create a new world and go all in again with some friends. Good time with the recent adventure update? Or does Notch have something in the hangar getting ready to release? Saw the dragon picture he did awhile back which looks cool. We're in no hurry but we don't really like starting worlds over again either.
The Adventure Update was split into 3 separate updates. The first part is out officially but the second part is currently being released in waves... well prereleases, then an official version will come out that will download automatically for you from the launcher. Where at 1.9 Prerelease 3. There's a ton of stuff in the "hangar" so to speak but I think if you start with 1.9 Pre3 you'll be pretty set since both your outdoor bomes and Nether biomes will be updated - I doubt he'll make any more significant changes on those fronts. The next big change looks like a new dimension, "The End" or possibly a sky dimension but that shouldn't require a new world since you could just build a portal to it.

Mengy said:
I've found myself building a whole slew of prototype buildings that I intend to build on Neocraft eventually. One downside though is that I'm getting so outlandish with my prototypes that actually getting the materials to make them in a survival game is not going to be any small feat. But then it's also good to have goals to play for too.

Yeah... I'm building something rather huge in my world that was originally intended for NeoCraft... But then I start thinking, "Wait... I have to gather all these materials...". Lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
ArtistDude88 said:
Yeah... I'm building something rather huge in my world that was originally intended for NeoCraft... But then I start thinking, "Wait... I have to gather all these materials...". Lol

Most people realize this and then decide to not bother because it's too hard or too much work. But me, well it gets me a tad excited. I actually enjoy sheep hunting with dyes in my hand. I now have reasons to go off on long desert excursions collecting sand during the day while holed up during the night. I have a reason to make a huge mine network because I need the iron for tools and the coal to blast cobble.

For me, the huge projects give me a reason to brave the wilds and actually play the game. But then I also don't use warps and rarely even use the /home command, so yeah I'm a bit strange when it comes to Minecraft...

spirity said:
Ok, I'll tank. Everyone else, dps very very slowly. And by slowly I mean fucking slow. If you get aggro it means your going to lose 50 dkp coz you didn't know what the fuck to do.

Nuke it, dot it, help the whelp group. Have dots up on every time. Hit it like you mean it.
Whelps, left side! Even side!! Many whelps!!! NOW! Handle it!!!

FUUUUUCK!!!! THAT'S A FUCKING 50 DKP MINUS!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK. WAS. THAT. SHIT!?!?!

Ark

Houston3000 said:
Whelps, left side! Even side!! Many whelps!!! NOW! Handle it!!!

FUUUUUCK!!!! THAT'S A FUCKING 50 DKP MINUS!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK... WAS THAT SHIT!?!?!

I'm afraid this doesn't really work outside of a WoW raid with 25 people or more :p

Rapstah

Houston3000 said:
...it's not even fucking REMOTELY imaginable!

Oh, man, 40 person Minecraft raids. Hhhhnnngg...
I know some Java. If it's really easy getting into modding Minecraft I can't see it taking many weeks to code from scratch a boss dragon mob with those exact phases and equivalent HP for bows and swords. The problem would be healing and getting 40 people to download a stupid mod only to prove something in a server.

Woorloog

Banned
Dmented said:
So a guy that plays on my buddies server seems to be attracted to creepers. Especially when near my property. Now the polite thing to do would be to repair the damage, but he does not. Even when asked.

So I figure I'll just teach him a little lesson.

http://i.imgur.com/ZQYZUh.png[/IMG

Rest of the pics: [url]http://imgur.com/a/tOSEw[/url][/QUOTE]
How does that work? I really don't get it.

Mama Robotnik said:
Ha, has this been posted yet?

(it helps if you have seen Doctor Who, but even then its still a very impressive mod)
Holy shit.

They should teleport you to a random part of the map rather then kill you though. Like a random cave in the bottom of the ocean...with no tools.

p4qoo.jpg

Dmented

Banned
Woorloog said:
How does that work? I really don't get it.
You place a block of TNT and a sign on top. From there you can place additional signs on the sign that's on the TNT and build a floor. Place sand on top of the sign floor so it looks normal and run redstone from the TNT to a pressure pad.

So when someone steps on to the pressure pad, it sets the TNT off and all of the signs break causing the sand to fall down.

Woorloog

Banned
Dmented said:
You place a block of TNT and a sign on top. From there you can place additional signs on the sign that's on the TNT and build a floor. Place sand on top of the sign floor so it looks normal and run redstone from the TNT to a pressure pad.

So when someone steps on to the pressure pad, it sets the TNT off and all of the signs break causing the sand to fall down.
Those are signs? You can, uh, attach a sign to another?
I wonder how many other tricks i do not know in MC...

Salaadin

I updated to the 1.9 prelease a while back but want to roll back now so I copied my backup .jar over to the bin folder but I still cant connect to the minecraft.net servers. Any idea?

Salaadin said:
I updated to the 1.9 prelease a while back but want to roll back now so I copied my backup .jar over to the bin folder but I still cant connect to the minecraft.net servers. Any idea?
You can't connect or is it stuck loading? If it doesn't load delete everything in the bin folder & restart Minecraft to let it download the files again.

Salaadin

Treefingers said:
You can't connect or is it stuck loading? If it doesn't load delete everything in the bin folder & restart Minecraft to let it download the files again.

I cant even log in. I tried cutting everything out of bin folder too but I just get a "cant connect to minecraft.net" message. My username and pw are correct. I can login on the website but not the game client.

Emitan

Salaadin said:
I cant even log in. I tried cutting everything out of bin folder too but I just get a "cant connect to minecraft.net" message. My username and pw are correct. I can login on the website but not the game client.
Did you check "Force update" in the options?

N-Bomb

ALSO, I was just thinking... CPU reqs gonna go up once Notch makes torches temporary :\

That or their use is gonna go way down. What do you all think about that?

blamite

I'd like to have a spotlight type directional light source of some kind. Like maybe

c c c
c t g
c c c
(c = cobble/iron, t = torch, g = glass)

this could project a beam of light for a few torch lengths in one direction only, and maybe there could be a way to use dye or something to change the color of the light? Might be good for lighting long tunnels.

Grinchy

Banned
Billychu said:
I wouldn't mind brighter light sources.
Yeah exactly. Even if it had a high material cost.

I don't care for having a million torches everywhere to light up and area. It takes away from the look.

Ranger X

The day torches would be temporary is the day I would stop playing this game. That would be too much. I need to lit up stuff and stop caring after that.

Top Bottom