• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Blizzard

Banned
onemic said:
What brightness setting do you guys usually use? The default is moody, but i cant see shit underwater :/
This has always been a problem. I think there's at least one diving helmet mod, but I think the ideal thing would be for Notch to implement some sort of diving light and/or helmet thing. Though I guess one of the new potions lets you breathe underwater...

Ranger X

onemic said:
What brightness setting do you guys usually use? The default is moody, but i cant see shit underwater :/

We used to only have what's the default setting right now. So I never used anything else and yeah, you can't see shit underwater. You never could (until now if you bright it up of course).
Sadly, there's nothing to do underwater really outside some octopus hunting.

Ranger X said:

I want him to add underwater ruins, and perhaps Merpeople that are like the Zombie Pigmen in a way. The idea is if you're out in the water swimming and they notice you, they try to drag you down to their city. It's not that they're trying to hurt you, they just don't understand that you can't breathe underwater. They only attack you if you attack them to try to get away.

With the addition of vast oceans, it would make some sections of your map much more interesting than they would otherwise be.

Blizzard said:
This has always been a problem. I think there's at least one diving helmet mod, but I think the ideal thing would be for Notch to implement some sort of diving light and/or helmet thing. Though I guess one of the new potions lets you breathe underwater...
It's really about time. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen some interesting shit in the middle of the ocean but couldn't go explore because you have like 15 secs of air. The ocean probably accounts for more than 50% of any given world too... we need to be able to explore that shit.

Onemic

Was in my house in 1.9 today and at night I heard a strange noise, sorta like a huge aircraft or object was just over my house, any idea what it could be?

I also noticed the area my home is located the grass has turned to a dark green/blackish, though this was before I heard the weird sound :/

Ashodin

onemic said:
Was in my house in 1.9 today and at night I heard a strange noise, sorta like a huge aircraft or object was just over my house, any idea what it could be?

I also noticed the area my home is located the grass has turned to a dark green/blackish, though this was before I heard the weird sound :/
Can you recreate the experience?

Articalys

Notch's blog said:
The adventure update is going great! We’re adding features and cramming in content, and then started feature creeping and content creeping. What we’ve got on our hands now is somewhere in between a finished Adventure Mode update and a version of the game we’d be proud to call just “Minecraft”. Not “Minecraft Beta” or “Minecraft Alpha”, but just plain and simple “Minecraft”.

And we’re going to release that version of the game live on stage in Vegas at MineCon! Woooo!

Up until then, instead of trying to squeeze in another real release, we’re going to do weekly (or so) pre releases, aimed at advanced players. We release these via twitter, so make sure to follow me (@notch) and Jens (@jeb_) if you’re interested in those.

Also, we’re finally adding a dragon.

Pre releases and Adventure Updates

So... no real formal 1.9 then? Or would that now be the official release?

rezuth

Ranger X said:
The day torches would be temporary is the day I would stop playing this game. That would be too much. I need to lit up stuff and stop caring after that.
The idea was to make lanterns last forever while torches were temporary. It's not like you wouldn't have any long lasting light source.

Unless performance improves, I guess I have to go back to 1.81 until release, as 1.93 is unplayable on my laptop. I'm guessing optimization will be less important than adding new features until the release version (and probably at least an update or two after, going by past updates).

strata8

riskVSreward said:
It's really about time. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen some interesting shit in the middle of the ocean but couldn't go explore because you have like 15 secs of air. The ocean probably accounts for more than 50% of any given world too... we need to be able to explore that shit.
Eh, I just use sugar cane. Seems to work well enough :p

Articalys

Notch on dragon difficulty: "My design guidelines for the dragon: If I can beat it at all, it's too easy."

This occurred after the following exchange on Reddit:
some guy said:
Regarding the Enderdragons- Endermen originally sounded like these horrible, evil, over-powered creatures when I first read about them, but they've been nerfed so much that now when I see one, I just run over and hit it a few times. They had a reputation, one that they didn't live up to. Please, Notch, don't let the Enderdragons be like that. Give them horrible powers, give them fireballs, teleportation, everything. I don't care how overpowered they are, I want them to be a real challenge. I want that moment of "Oh shi-" when I see one. So please Notch, appease a humble redditor, and make the Ender Realm a place to be feared. Thank you and good night.
Notch said:

Drazgul

NotTarts said:
Eh, I just use sugar cane. Seems to work well enough :p

I'm fully expecting Mojang to sneak in a stealth fix for that in one of the patches, and then when I innocently go diving into some MC version of the Mariana Trench, I'll drown horribly and leave all my diamond gear there.

BNitw.png

From Notch's Twitter

Mastadon said:
:eek: Can you elborate on this?
I think there's a bug in 1.9 where you can place Sugarcane underwater which will create an air pocket. It's the same concept as placing ladders underwater to breath since two different things can't occupy the same block at the same time in Minecraft (water being a block). Things like signs, open doors, fence posts, glass panes, iron bars, etc... will actually replace the block of water they're placed in.

Best way to breath underwater is to swim to the bottom, place a couple of dirt blocks and then put some ladders on them. Alternatively, I haven't done it, but if you just put a door underwater and then open it so you can walk through you'll be able to breath while standing in the open doorway.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:
NeoCraft is pretty much dead until 1.9 comes out.

Not true at all. There are people online doing all kinds of things, some nights it's actually quite busy. We are just staying in the vicinity of Pioneer Town and not venturing too far until the new patch hits.

Ranger X said:

I used to feel this way, but since the 1.8 patch ocean biomes have gotten a hell of a lot more interesting. I've found tons of cave openings deep under the water, mostly I notice them during the night because of torchlight from abandoned mines eeking out. I can't imagine how many openings I'm missing because they don't open up to a mine with torches. That, and the ocean floor is no longer mostly flat. There are underwater mountains and valleys and the floor goes deep, very deep. I've even found a few underwater caves due to lava light eeking out.

What I haven't seen yet (but I've been looking) is a flooded ravine. I don't even know if the chunk generator will make them, but it would be cool to find a deep ravine that is either completely flooded or has huge waterfalls pouring down into it.

Finally getting hit with this performance bug people keep talking about in the pre-release version. As of 1.93 I will periodically get a massive lag spike that lasts about 3 seconds.

Seems to occur regularly at certain spots in my world, like opening the door to my house or when exiting (but not entering) a certain cave system.

Frame-rate takes a huge dive and sound stutters/crackles for a few seconds before returning to normal.

Vlad

DurielBlack said:
Finally getting hit with this performance bug people keep talking about in the pre-release version. As of 1.93 I will periodically get a massive lag spike that lasts about 3 seconds.

Seems to occur regularly at certain spots in my world, like opening the door to my house or when exiting (but not entering) a certain cave system.

Frame-rate takes a huge dive and sound stutters/crackles for a few seconds before returning to normal.

I've got to test it more (and I haven't seen it as much in prerelease 3), but it almost seems to be related to the sound. I noticed it in earlier versions of the game with rain, as occasionally I'd get that stuttering whenever I was walking around near rain, and I noticed it a lot in 1.9 P2 when I was near my wheat farm, which had lots of running water near it.

Onemic

Maxrpg said:
Can you recreate the experience?

Well when I first opened up my game world the very first thing I noticed that was different, was the grass around my house and the surrounding area, it turned into a blackish green. was doing some renovating at night and as I was in my basement I heard a noise that sounded like an airplane or some other airborne object was hovering right above my house. The sound ended before I had a chance to check out what the hell it was.

I think I've decided I'm gonna give up on the pre-releases so that when Minecraft finally hits, it'll be a mega-huge update, with so much crap in it I won't know what to do!

To quench my minecraft thirst until then, I've been delving into mods for the first time. Currently running Buildcraft and Equivalent Exchange, although I can't find any redstone, so I haven't even really got to use them yet. -_-

Once I'm really into those mods, I should be able to do some pretty amazing stuff.

Ranger X

Mengy said:
I used to feel this way, but since the 1.8 patch ocean biomes have gotten a hell of a lot more interesting. I've found tons of cave openings deep under the water, mostly I notice them during the night because of torchlight from abandoned mines eeking out. I can't imagine how many openings I'm missing because they don't open up to a mine with torches. That, and the ocean floor is no longer mostly flat. There are underwater mountains and valleys and the floor goes deep, very deep. I've even found a few underwater caves due to lava light eeking out.

What I haven't seen yet (but I've been looking) is a flooded ravine. I don't even know if the chunk generator will make them, but it would be cool to find a deep ravine that is either completely flooded or has huge waterfalls pouring down into it.

Yeah I noticed that and I agree, I meant that there's no "gameplay" underwater outside killing octopusses (spell?)

Ark

Ok, I have the Ark's on a map thanks to Spuit, however the map is a couple of days old now. So I'm going to close the server tomorrow morning (my time) and ask Spuit (love you long time :p) to put the Ark's onto the new map if possible? <3 And then re-open when I've uploaded the map.

Unless people don't mind loading in an older map.

Ark said:
Ok, I have the Ark's on a map thanks to Spuit, however the map is a couple of days old now. So I'm going to close the server tomorrow morning (my time) and ask Spuit (love you long time :p) to put the Ark's onto the new map if possible? <3 And then re-open when I've uploaded the map.

Please do the new map, have done alot of work in my town last couple nights.

LilZippa

Kulock said:
Or craft a mining helmet that kicks in at a certain darkness level, but doesn't offer the same armor protection a normal helmet would.

I could see using glowstone and redstone to make light sensing objects that turn on at night. I would love that. For your case just a helmet with glowstone powder and restone.

Xun

Ark said:

New map if possible.

I've mined... a fair bit.

spuit*11

Banned
Ark said:

Haha, yeah okay.

What time are we talking about tomorrow morning? I'm GMT+1.

Ark

spuit*11 said:
Haha, yeah okay.

What time are we talking about tomorrow morning? I'm GMT+1.

Whenever possible really. I'll try to PM you in the morning before I leave (providing I have enough time) around 7pm my time (GMT+1 (BST)) and I'm usually home around 5pm my time.

bengraven

Just about had a heart attack.

I took my SP 1.8.1 village (and Mount Killa'manJarJaro) and MCedited them into a rad seed I found on MinecraftSeeds for 1.9.3. I fortified the new village I found and combined that with my old village to make an uber village as well as created an awesome Wizard tower and Nether Wasteland nearby with a portal.

Then Jhriad msgs me to tell me my house was griefed on the server!

So I downgrade, jump online and realize I was negligent with my fireplace and half my roof was burned away. Thank Notch for nerfing fire or I probably would have burned down all of Pioneer Village.

I've been playing a bit on the server, but I really want to get back to 1.9 so I reinstall 1.9.

I click my single player world and it says "0.0 mb". !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankfully it looks like a glitch and my world is still there. Jesus, I had just found my first stronghold, WITHOUT the glass panes to guide me.

No, I'm lying. I saw the panes across the plains and went there. Don't listen to me, I lie to make friends.

bengraven said:
Just about had a heart attack.
No, I'm lying. I saw the panes across the plains and went there. Don't listen to me, I lie to make friends.

Don't feel bad, I used the same thing to find mine.

I've been looking into using redstone for the first time, watched a handful of youtube videos on making some doors and drawbridges. Interesting stuff, but redstone wire is badly in need of an update, I've had so much trouble breaking my shit over and over again while trying to hide the restone wiring because it won't run in any direction that would actually be convenient. I know theres some mods that fix this, but it would be nice to do the same stuff on NeoCraft.

celebi23

Ark said:

Please load the newer map if you can. I finally have a decent chicken farm going and it would really suck to have that taken away :(

Onemic

I'm guessing most people here are playing the sp, since everyone seems to have 1.9, what do you guys think are the best mods available for minecraft that makes the game a better more fleshed out experience? And do they work with 1.9?

r1chard

bengraven said:
Thankfully it looks like a glitch and my world is still there. Jesus, I had just found my first stronghold, WITHOUT the glass panes to guide me.

There needs to be some signposting (metaphorically speaking) of the strongholds on the surface. I've been playing a 1.9 world for ages now and even though I've searched through huge underground cave systems I've not found a stronghold (nor abandoned mines, oddly enough).

N-Bomb

Blizzard said:
I guess I tought Notch gave up the temporary torches idea. I would be sad if I had to constantly replace them everywhere.

Well from what I understand, any existing torches would become lanterns or whatever in that case.

Chuckpebble

DurielBlack said:
Don't feel bad, I used the same thing to find mine.

I've been looking into using redstone for the first time, watched a handful of youtube videos on making some doors and drawbridges. Interesting stuff, but redstone wire is badly in need of an update, I've had so much trouble breaking my shit over and over again while trying to hide the restone wiring because it won't run in any direction that would actually be convenient. I know theres some mods that fix this, but it would be nice to do the same stuff on NeoCraft.

Use redstone repeaters (R), they're awesome. I was trying to power three pistons (P) from below by running a wire (W) past with a switch (S) at the end. I had to run the wire all funny to try and get it to go directly into each block, and even then, it didn't work. I ended up doing this:

Code:
S
|
W-R-P
|
W-R-P
|
W-R-P

The repeaters are nice because they're directional. Each one pulls the redstone wire directly into it.

Top Bottom