• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

ArtistDude88 said:
Why does it rain so much on NeoCraft? :c

I've read before (This was a long time ago, and might have not even been right then, but it's all I know) that the weather is based on time in a way, and every time you go to sleep, you essentially reset the timer, so it's rare that you wake up and it's rainy if it wasn't before. However, since you're on a server, sleep is much rarer, since it requires everyone to sleep at the same time. This means that rain happens much more often because the timer is never "reset."

Or something like that. I dunno.

strata8

Houston3000 said:
I think there's a bug in 1.9 where you can place Sugarcane underwater which will create an air pocket. It's the same concept as placing ladders underwater to breath since two different things can't occupy the same block at the same time in Minecraft (water being a block). Things like signs, open doors, fence posts, glass panes, iron bars, etc... will actually replace the block of water they're placed in.

Best way to breath underwater is to swim to the bottom, place a couple of dirt blocks and then put some ladders on them. Alternatively, I haven't done it, but if you just put a door underwater and then open it so you can walk through you'll be able to breath while standing in the open doorway.
It's actually been there since sugar cane was introduced. Two blocks can't exist in the same position at one time, so the sugar cane displaces the water. Standing inside the cane allows you to breathe :)

I got a good way to build walls now. I jump place blocks under me until I am 2 blocks high. Aim the mouse at the floor, select the block type and hit my macro key that spams right click.

I sprint down the direction I want to build the wall, the macro places the two blocks below me faster than I can fall off.

It's super fast, diagonal walls are still a pain.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mister_Bubbles said:
That'll be the server closing down so the arks can be brought across! Mats incoming! :D

Yep, the Arks are coming. It's kind of ironic though, after playing on the new Neocraft 1.8 map for the past few weeks, I haven't really missed the Ark at all. In fact, I've been having a blast so far building without the well of resources I had from the old map. Digging for coal and cobble, scrounging for wool and wood. I may just put all of my shit on the Ark into community chests and let it all go to the public.

Naahhhhhhhh.........I'll finally be able to make sticky pistons!!!! YAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!

bengraven

Wow, the Ender portal needing like 12 Eye of Enders and located within a stronghold...it all sounds so more hardcore.

I fucking love that.

Hell, I can't even find a blaze rod yet (I can't find a Nether stronghold for some reason)

NotTarts said:
It's actually been there since sugar cane was introduced. Two blocks can't exist in the same position at one time, so the sugar cane displaces the water. Standing inside the cane allows you to breathe :)
Hmm, I used the ladder technique before for the same effect. I thought previous to 1.9 (1.8 maybe) you couldn't place sugarcane underwater because sugarcane is one of the blocks (like torches) that breaks when water hits it. Even if you could place it - the water would try to flow in the spot and break it instantly. I can't remember for sure though now.

Jhriad

There are a few select things near pioneer town that are real eyesores. Just sayin... that shit is god damned ugly.

EDIT: Just saw your project and checked it out Mengy. Looks good. :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Jhriad said:

It's coming along, but slowly. Still a long ways to go on it, and lots of materials to gather and collect yet. This is going to be a very long term project for me, but I like that.

Jhriad said:
There are a few select things near pioneer town that are real eyesores. Just sayin... that shit is god damned ugly.

Oi there is nothing wrong with my water tower :p . As soon as we can start exploring again I imagine most people will find a quiet part of the world to build their various "eye sores" but right now since we are limited in where we can go and build we have to sorta put up with it.

aasoncott

My wife and I have started playing multiplayer, just the two of us, but I'm finding that playing multiplayer is hella buggy -- torches not casting light, animals and enemies that get stuck in blocks and end up rapidly transporting up and down, rain that appears in the middle of caves, blocks that randomly disappear, and so on. Do people just put up with all this, or is there a secret sauce for making things a little more stable? We're running 1.8 at the moment.

Jhriad

CharmingCharlie said:
Oi there is nothing wrong with my water tower :p . As soon as we can start exploring again I imagine most people will find a quiet part of the world to build their various "eye sores" but right now since we are limited in where we can go and build we have to sorta put up with it.

Heh, I actually like your water tower.

Ranger X said:
When the Ark is there I am planning to trade some clay stacks for iron stacks.
Would that be interesting to someone?

Yes, when the Ark comes. The Ark. All will be made right when The Ark comes.

monktonsure.jpg

Jhriad said:
Heh, I actually like your water tower.

Well it stops Evil9000 from peeing in the town water ;-) . It is just a prototype for now, I was just trying a few ideas out (relative noob to MC). What I really want to do is transform it into something like this :-

ZVv2n.jpg

That is the Sunset Beach Water Tower and I have been in awe of it for years. So when things settle down, the Ark gets moved over and we finally move up to 1.9 that is going to be my lil project where the existing prototype stands.

Jhriad

vas_a_morir said:
Does anybody know where the stronghold is on the GAF server? A few of the GAF homies and I have been searching for it...

There are two on the server. One is actually pretty close to the desert village. Go South-Southwest from there you should find it.

Jasoco

Banned
bengraven said:
Notch posted this and "why dragons can't spawn in the real world":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTpFDRZExAg&feature=feedu
Is IS well animated. I am also impressed. But what does that mean? That no dragons at all will be in the real world? Can't they fix it so they don't crash through stuff? It's not hard to make them detect a block 20 meters in front of them and slow down.

I guess it's the problem people had with the Aether Mod and those whale things that wouldn't stop trying to hug the walls. Is flying AI really that hard?

I want a dragon as a pet in my world.

Also....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJhWJ9c9Jt4
I am inspired. Bring on 1.9 already!!!

I think the reason why he said there won't be dragons in the real world is because they'll be found in a new biome called The End. (where Endermen are supposed to come from)

N-Bomb

Jhriad said:

Hey, if anyone has a problem with my tower, let me know. I'm trying to make it look better. Don't want it to dominate the landscape or anything. :)

Venfayth

Jasoco said:
Is IS well animated. I am also impressed. But what does that mean? That no dragons at all will be in the real world? Can't they fix it so they don't crash through stuff? It's not hard to make them detect a block 20 meters in front of them and slow down.

I guess it's the problem people had with the Aether Mod and those whale things that wouldn't stop trying to hug the walls. Is flying AI really that hard?

I want a dragon as a pet in my world.

Also....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJhWJ9c9Jt4
I am inspired. Bring on 1.9 already!!!

Nah, there will be dragons, but Ender Dragons will only be found in The End.

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/124154763351818240

notch said:
After release, I will totally work on slightly less dangerous dragons that don't destroy terrain and can land and whatnot. They will be red.

Jasoco said:
Can't they fix it so they don't crash through stuff? It's not hard to make them detect a block 20 meters in front of them and slow down.

Is flying AI really that hard?

I guess this is why MC doesn't have any (flying) birds :(

bengraven

I've always said I wanted a dragon that will give me an epic battle. Like I'm on top of my tower and firing enchanted arrows at it, and it's destroying my castle below me.

That said, that's kind of how I imagined MC to "end". You wake up on a shore somewhere, lost, then rebuild your life without society, eventually finding society and you finally destroy the last threat and live happily ever after. It's kind of Joseph Campbellish. We now need villagers who actually have an impact on you somehow.

bengraven

ArtistDude88 said:
Mojang hired someone from BioWare to handle Testificate romances and dialog..

Ha, not necessarily that. I'm thinking more like Fable's system of how they react to you maybe? Kill the dragon and they cheer when you walk by or something. I don't know, as I said: you start with nothing in the world. I like the idea of you making the place your home and finally become a hero.

parasight

Man, I was blown away by how well that Dragon animates in the MC world especially when you consider how stiff everything else in the game moves. It's beautiful to watch. I can't wait to see it implemented in the game. I heard Notch say on twitter that feature lock was this Friday, I believe.

bengraven

parasight said:
Man, I was blown away by how well that Dragon animates in the MC world especially when you consider how stiff everything else in the game moves. It's beautiful to watch. I can't wait to see it implemented in the game. I heard Notch say on twitter that feature lock was this Friday, I believe.

Well, the enchanting table animates fantastically as well. I think they're getting better.

Now if they would just go back and reanimate the enemy mobs.

vas_a_morir said:
Ark maps? What do you mean, sir?

The Ark -> Pioneer Village I assume?

The best/worst thing about this dragon is that it won't exist on 99% of multiplayer servers because everyone is all anti-environmental damage all the time.

I mean, if people already hate creeper damage, why would they allow this dragon to exist?

How depressing. ):

Grinchy

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
The best/worst thing about this dragon is that it won't exist on 99% of multiplayer servers because everyone is all anti-environmental damage all the time.

I mean, if people already hate creeper damage, why would they allow this dragon to exist?

How depressing. ):
Yeah I love creepers and their damage. It really does suck on a MP server though. Asscraft left it on, and it was fine actually but people could easily use that as an easy way to grief.

Side note, I recently found out about how you can click the number of posts on the thread list, and it tells you how many times each person has posted (I know, I'm slow to these things). I had no idea I was such a minecraft post whore.

Grinchy said:
Yeah I love creepers and their damage. It really does suck on a MP server though. Asscraft left it on, and it was fine actually but people could easily use that as an easy way to grief.
Yeah, I know. I am of the opinion that griefers aren't really that big of a deal. I would never do it 'cause I'd feel so bad, but I don't care if people do it to me.

But then, once I build something and am generally satisfied with it, I take my screenshots, maybe Fraps a video, and I'm happy to let it go the way of the dodo. Even if they grief me during my building process, I'd see that as an opportunity to rebuild and improve on my original idea. I think it makes the game more interesting.

Unfortunately none of the people I want to play with would ever play on a server with that kind of freedom. C'est la vie.

Top Bottom