• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

celebi23

ArtistDude88 said:
Wasn't someone looking for a yellow record? I just found one tucked away in the Ark in one of my storage chests lol.

Actually, I was looking any music disc. I can trade a Golden Apple if you want one.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
has the .jar for the server prerelease been handed out, or are they just giving the exe's?

Thinking of getting my private server setup with it as the group wants a taste.

Ranger X

Funny to see that when people are starting to experience Endermen griefing their suddendly share my opinion that they are just an annoyance...

-bakalhau- said:
Also... How the hell did they do that Zelda stop motion... Just... how? Anyone have any idea?

There are mods to convert 3D models to import in Minecraft, a 2D bitmap is probably trivial. Just take a bunch of screenshots from an emulator, batch convert them, and load them one by one.

It would still take a while, unless they further automated the load/snapshot/load process in Minecraft somehow (macro, whatever), but it's very unlikely they actually "built" anything but the outer GB frame, probably prototyped it, then just overlayed it on their preconverted images.

Jhriad

kennah said:
I don't mind it really. It's fun to walk the fence and fix the damage done. Part of the morning routine :)

It's more annoying in 1.81 since they can steal any block and when they die the block simply disappears.

bengraven

I do miss you guys on the server. I might have to downgrade.

Jasoco said:
Well, it's the same way normal computers work, except scaled up. Imagine if actual circuits were 3 feet wide per trace.

There's something about switches, period, that I'm completely retarded in regards to.

I remember playing the PSone RPG Maker and I couldn't understand the logic of switches so I couldn't do the simplest change in environment. Hell, I had to pring out a FAQ at my local library to know how to show a chest opening.

I don't know why, something just doesn't click in my head. Like there's some sort of governor.

I always wanted to make my own games, but since the concept of switch logic is the entirety of game design, it was like a blind man wanting to be a surgeon.

ArtistDude88 said:
In MP, constant cycling redstone doesn't work because once you leave the chunk and it becomes inactive, the signal stops.

Complex Shadow said:
you can make it work. but youl need and on and off switch to restart it when ever you come back to that chunk

Code:
- redstone
+repeaters
[] block
' space

+--+
-  +
+-+[]

if you attach the block to a sticky piston, you can turn it on or off

Cheers. Shame about the chunk on / off thing, but good to know!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Ilive1up said:
so, i just bought this game.

doing the survival mode.

there is no real goal to this game, correct?

There will eventually be one, but for now learn the mechanics and dick about.

seb

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:
Nope, what you do is all up to YOOOUUU! The sky (and bedrock) is the limit. :)

Well I partly disagree after restarting a new world in 1.9pre4. It's actually a game with clear directives and a set progression path now. You're still free to do whatever you want, but now you sort of have to do all this:

On your first day, you have to find a shelter or you won't make it through the night (After that initial shelter, improving your fortress will be a rolling task). Then you need to feed yourself, so you have to set up a nice farm with at least some wheat and a couple of animals.
Then you'll probably want some better tools, and if you want to enchant stuff, you need obsidian. Ergo, you need to mine, a lot, and find some lava. Then you will want to make some potions right ? Except for that you need a blasing rod that you can only find in the nether. And so on...

I'm sure the final Adventure update will complete this list even further :)

seb said:
Well I partly disagree after restarting a new world in 1.9pre4. It's actually a game with clear directives and a set progression path now. You're still free to do whatever you want, but now you sort of have to do all this:

Exactly. The title 'survival mode' kind of entails that you have to survive, but other than that there is no goal.

Walking through the old GAFland map is incredible. So much creativity. Almost had an orgasm when I discovered the statue of liberty and music kicked in.
It's kinda cool stumbling upon signs of civilization in the outskirts of the "building-zone" too, like random cobble-stones, torches, mines and such. Kinda makes me feel like a real explorer, finding all this obscure shit. :p

Shoutout to Mirk for his awesome castle!

Are hostile mobs more likely to spawn on certain blocks than others? (i.e. cobblestone vs dirt)? I need to know this for my mob trap I'm building, thanks.

Ranger X

Ilive1up said:
so, i just bought this game.

doing the survival mode.

there is no real goal to this game, correct?

The goal of this game (and what makes it interesting anyways) is for you to find your goals.
Might not fit everybody but this game is the first true sandbox game.

celebi23

Is there anyway to have a music disc loop? I've got a pretty good idea for a secret project and the yellow disc (13?) would be awesome background music.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
CoffeeJanitor said:
Are hostile mobs more likely to spawn on certain blocks than others? (i.e. cobblestone vs dirt)? I need to know this for my mob trap I'm building, thanks.
I am pretty sure that's a no. I do know they don't spawn on half blocks.

Lax Mike said:
Thank you so much. Endermen are possibly the most annoying aspect of the game.

Creepers are much more annoying than Endermen. Endermen only take out some block types, and only one to one, and they're very easy to kill (if you have at least some armour). But I hate when I get out from house and I found a creeper waiting me just outside the door, blowing the full entrance.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
DangerousDave said:
Creepers are much more annoying than Endermen. Endermen only take out some block types, and only one to one, and they're very easy to kill (if you have at least some armour). But I hate when I get out from house and I found a creeper waiting me just outside the door, blowing the full entrance.
I'm a bit biased, since I haven't really played much outside of servers with with nerfed creepers. Though to be fair, creepers don't destroy your structures when you're not around, while endermen will.

Jhriad

DangerousDave said:

Creepers don't damage blocks on our server so Endermen are the real threat to building. There's a hillside near where I'm at that looks like it's been shot several times by a shotgun because there are so many individual blocks dug out.

Xun

WAaFr.jpg
oagWP.jpg

Here's a concept design of the main tower I cooked up in creative mode.

Looking good? I changed the style a bit to fit the Minecraft world a bit more.

Full image of what I'll eventually create on NeoCraft below.

OFVyB.png

This thing will be huge.

N-Bomb

Xun said:
WAaFr.jpg
oagWP.jpg

This thing will be huge.

I've been trying a simplified version of a tower like that myself. Not easy!

N-Bomb

Xun said:
WAaFr.jpg
oagWP.jpg

This thing will be huge.

Here's the plan from creative: (not sure if I like the wood or not)

Hl5Nn.jpg

macewank

heh.. wonder what's going to be bigger. the disney castle or this baseball stadium i'm working on..

sooooo muchhhh digggiiiinnnggg ugh

bengraven

I'm having zero issues with Endermen on my single player 1.9.4 game.

I actually have to purposely aggravate them so I can get their eyes. They haven't touched a single wall yet.

Even when I was on 1.8 I would only be missing a block or two. Nothing horrible. I think some people might be a bit over-dramatic.

I WISH they could tear my door down.

macewank

bengraven said:
I'm having zero issues with Endermen on my single player 1.9.4 game.

I actually have to purposely aggravate them so I can get their eyes. They haven't touched a single wall yet.

Even when I was on 1.8 I would only be missing a block or two. Nothing horrible. I think some people might be a bit over-dramatic.

I WISH they could tear my door down.

the problem is, like with Mik's chapel he's building.

the endermen teleported to the very top and removed 2 blocks from his dome.. there's no way back up there without building a bunch of scaffolding or a giant dirt tower. it's sort of a PITA

fresquito

My server got massive chunk errors when updating to 1.9.4, is there any way to fix it?

BTW, Is there any comprehensive list of the changes added in the 1.9 releases?

Thanks in advance.

Ranger X

fresquito said:
My server got massive chunk errors when updating to 1.9.4, is there any way to fix it?

BTW, Is there any comprehensive list of the changes added in the 1.9 releases?

Thanks in advance.

From 1.8 to 1.9 the terrain generation changed so all the 1.8 borders won't fit with the 1.9s.
Nothing you can do for fixing this outside manually doing it.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Xun said:

This thing will be huge.

Looks good.

fresquito

Ranger X said:
From 1.8 to 1.9 the terrain generation changed so all the 1.8 borders won't fit with the 1.9s.
Damn, I thought it changed from 1.7 to 1.9

Thanks for the info.

Ranger X said:
Hey, I have the same problem but I started a fresh world on 1.9.3 so Im not sure what caused them. How do I manually fix it up?

Ranger X

riskVSreward said:
Hey, I have the same problem but I started a fresh world on 1.9.3 so Im not sure what caused them. How do I manually fix it up?

2 choices.

- with an editing program (like McEdit)
- with your tools in-game (might be long, lol)

It's wierd you have generation mishaps there. Not supposed to happen really.

Top Bottom