• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
-Yeti said:
So, I wanna get back into Minecraft, but I have a pretty crappy laptop that can only run the game with the lowest settings.

Anyway, every time I try to change the Video Settings, the game goes to a black screen and freezes indefinitely. I then have to open the Task Manager and force close Minecraft. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how can I fix it?
Have you tried updating java?

-Yeti said:
So, I wanna get back into Minecraft, but I have a pretty crappy laptop that can only run the game with the lowest settings.

Anyway, every time I try to change the Video Settings, the game goes to a black screen and freezes indefinitely. I then have to open the Task Manager and force close Minecraft. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how can I fix it?
I don't know anything about this specific issue, but a good this to do would be to check if Java is up to date. Another way to change the vide settings (while not in-game) is to edit the settings in the file directory. In Windows it's a text file that can be found in 'Documents and Settings/(your username)/Application Data/.minecraft/options'

By the way, I'm now gradually updating the paths on the server by putting rows of glass directly over the gravel, 3 blocks above. The purpose if this is to allow a faster method of traversal (I estimate between 1.5 and 2.0 times faster than just sprinting). Basically you need to sprint and jump at that same time while under the glass, or any other solid block for that matter, to get a big boost in movement speed.

Got it to work. I forgot that I was still on that 'leaked' 1.8 update which made it so you couldn't change the video settings.

Also found out about OptiFine while researching ways to make Minecraft run faster. Works like a charm!

Mengy said:
Okay, that's damn cool. When you get the living dome up I want a lot in it! I have an idea you may need more than one living dome. Maybe put different colored rings at the dome bases, like Red Dome, Yellow Dome, etc. That's going to look slick once you have multiple domes all linked up.

Glad you like the domed city, I was a bit worried about revealing it. I am still a bit of a noob when it comes to minecraft and could never hope to produce some of the stuff you guys did on the previous map.

I do like the idea of several coloured domes for living spaces that never occurred to me. Originally I was just going to have one super massive living space dome (200 x 200) but now it makes much more sense to have a couple of 100 x 100 domes.

Complex Shadow said:
2 things.
1) shouldn't you make a domes a bit higer up?
2) shouldn't the dome be floating?

Unfortunately the height limit of the server (currently 128 blocks) makes it difficult to go any higher. The pedestal of the main dome goes up to 100 blocks high (from bedrock) and the dome on top of it is about 25 blocks high.

I did toy with floating domes but I have always had a thing for these mushroom domes that I saw when I was a kid :-

w0EcX.jpg

There is also a bonus that the pedestal can be used for store rooms. I would've loved to built the domes with iron but at something like 9 bars of iron just for 1 iron block it would have taken forever to mine enough iron just for one pedestal.

OgTheClever said:
By the way, I'm now gradually updating the paths on the server by putting rows of glass directly over the gravel, 3 blocks above. The purpose if this is to allow a faster method of traversal (I estimate between 1.5 and 2.0 times faster than just sprinting). Basically you need to sprint and jump at that same time while under the glass, or any other solid block for that matter, to get a big boost in movement speed.
What? Glass? How does that work?

Xun

Xun said:
Alright guys, I'm going to start digging the hole for my castle later on today.

If people are still up for helping the spot can be found below. You'll notice a large dirt tower signifying where the central point is. However I want to make sure this place is good to go first before I properly start.

rj4tw.jpg

I'll first get rid of a few trees in the area to give me space, then begin to plot out the area.
Ok guys digging has commenced.

There is one tall block tall tower in the centre, and 4 towers surrounding it in a square.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Now that I have citizen mode, I am now going exploring to find a spot. Looking at the map, it seems snow has yet to be found on gafland, and that's what I'm looking for. I'm heading Northeast, with nothing but a bed and a sword.

DrForester said:
Now that I have citizen mode, I am now going exploring to find a spot. Looking at the map, it seems snow has yet to be found on gafland, and that's what I'm looking for. I'm heading Northeast, with nothing but a bed and a sword.

I think Snow Biomes aren't working with the current version of mincraft (correct me if I am wrong). Also don't go too far or you'll blow up the map size to something ridiculous.

celebi23

DrForester said:
You're going to be walking for awhile lol :p Snow biomes are coming back in 1.9

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
DrForester said:

You won't find snow anywhere on the current Neocraft server. We are running 1.8, which has snow biomes turned off. If you want snow, then wait until 1.9 goes live to look for snow biomes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mengy said:
You won't find snow anywhere on the current Neocraft server. We are running 1.8, which has snow biomes turned off. If you want snow, then wait until 1.9 goes live to look for snow biomes.

Will Neocraft be restarted when 1.9 comes out? Or can you update servers without full restarts now?

Ark

DrForester said:
Will Neocraft be restarted when 1.9 comes out? Or can you update servers without full restarts now?

The map wont be restarted again. However it will be trimmed down (cutting off all the excess land mass for 1.9) so that we can minimise chunk errors.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, still going to explore a bit, but I won't go way off map. Just find a nice place, and hope no one else has mined it to no end :p

Xun

CrAzYLeGzLU said:
What's the quickest way to get out there? Because I have no idea where this is.
Once I'm on I'll show you.

Also is anyone having problems with NeoCraft? All I'm seeing is blackness. :/

Edit: Nevermind.

Krovan

Neo Member
OgTheClever said:

Og, you might not go so far out of your way to do this. In the "upcoming changes" section of the wiki:
"There is a slight delay between jumps when holding down the jump button, so that the player no longer bounces between ceiling and floor in two-block-high spaces."

Lax Mike

Neo Member
So I finally ventured outside the Pioneer-Ark Town Dualopolis area today, and I found this:

rZ9a8.png

Anyone have good ideas on what to do with a floating island?

Also, if anyone has an updated map, I would really appreciate it if it were posted, I need to regain my bearings from my new position.

Jasoco

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
Jesus, why the hell does he have so many booster tracks? That's a shitload of gold. I use 4 booster tracks to reach 16 m/s.
It's a test. It's probably done in Creative mode. It's just to show that running/jumping on ice with the ceiling is faster than a minecart at full speed.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
It's a test. It's probably done in Creative mode. It's just to show that running/jumping on ice with the ceiling is faster than a minecart at full speed.

It just really makes me miss the old style boosters all the more. As glitchy as they were, they really got you going at a good speed.

spuit*11

Banned
Articalys said:
This is a fantastic mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOxXG5wgizQ

The Kenshiro Mod.

As long as you are shirtless (i.e. no chest armor) and empty-handed, and have at least 3 1/2 bars on the food meter to spare, you can unleash the Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken. One-hit kill on any mob (complete with a delayed "you are already dead" effect), and breaks through pretty much any block short of obsidian, bedrock, and a few others.

http://i.imgur.com/PHaSf.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
YOU WA SHOCK!!!

Mengy

celebi23 said:
My new house is coming along pretty well :D

Once I work on the interior a bit, I'll post some new screenshots

I'm surprised you used glass blocks instead of the new panes for the windows. I love the panes, I think they look better and you get so many of them per sand (6 glass blocks = 16 panes). I've been using them everywhere I can. I like how you are using brick. One nice change in 1.8 is that clay seems to be so much more plentiful. I've barely strayed much outside of Pioneer Town and Arktown yet I've got like 5 full stacks of clay balls.

Also, found my first diamond on the new Neocraft server last night! I haven't really started a deep mining operation of any kind yet, but I found two veins while spelunking a cave / ravine system last night. Then I went to put them away and realized that I had brought half a stack of diamonds over on the Ark, LOL! I've been so focused on building and sand mining that I totally forgot about them. Plus with iron so plentiful now I haven't really missed them. Time to make a bunch of diamond tools and use those gems up, they aren't doing me any good stashed in a chest...

LilZippa

Mengy said:
while spelunking a cave / ravine system last night.

I noticed that there are 2 more ravines near that one between us. I thought it would be very cool to try and connect them. I just know you said you have plans for that ravine and don't want to mess anything up for you.

Mengy

LilZippa said:
I noticed that there are 2 more ravines near that one between us. I thought it would be very cool to try and connect them. I just know you said you have plans for that ravine and don't want to mess anything up for you.

Ah, you must be Ziefer then! There are two more ravines near us? Man, Ravines are everywhere! I've been mining sandstone for the past few nights a few clicks west of my fortress and stumbled upon a multiple ravine system over there, it's a crazy huge network. I do have some plans for that one right beneath me, but if there are others nearby then I think we should definitely connect them. Hell, I think we should connect all discovered ravines into one huge Minecart Ravine Tour Railway designed for sightseeing. That would be cool, lol.

Are the other two over your way under you castle?

LilZippa

Yeah that's me I've been terribly inconsistent with names lately. They are south of the first one. I dug from yours into another then checked into it on the Tectonicus map and saw a 3rd. It would be an impressive room with 3 ravines coming into it. I can't tell how big the space is between them though.

I find it funny that of all the places surrounding me there is massive cave networks everywhere, but right where I built. I didn't try to do that just happened.

N-Bomb

Mengy said:
I'm surprised you used glass blocks instead of the new panes for the windows. I love the panes, I think they look better and you get so many of them per sand (6 glass blocks = 16 panes). I've been using them everywhere I can. I like how you are using brick. One nice change in 1.8 is that clay seems to be so much more plentiful. I've barely strayed much outside of Pioneer Town and Arktown yet I've got like 5 full stacks of clay balls.

Also, found my first diamond on the new Neocraft server last night! I haven't really started a deep mining operation of any kind yet, but I found two veins while spelunking a cave / ravine system last night. Then I went to put them away and realized that I had brought half a stack of diamonds over on the Ark, LOL! I've been so focused on building and sand mining that I totally forgot about them. Plus with iron so plentiful now I haven't really missed them. Time to make a bunch of diamond tools and use those gems up, they aren't doing me any good stashed in a chest...

The panes are still a little buggy. I can't get them to look right on my tower, so I've had to mix up panes and blocks :\

LilZippa

N-Bomb said:
The panes are still a little buggy. I can't get them to look right on my tower, so I've had to mix up panes and blocks :\

Yeah they can look strange if you don't fill the entire hole with panes or if there is anything odd in the brickwork.

N-Bomb

LilZippa said:
Yeah they can look strange if you don't fill the entire hole with panes or if there is anything odd in the brickwork.

Yep. For a window:

....[x]
[x][ ][x]
[x][ ][x]
[x]...[x]

The xs are screwed up by either being cross-panes or half-panes. :\

Krovan

Neo Member
You might notice a big green blob on the new map (thanks toki). Thought I might shed some light on this project.

World Tree

Before canopy:
2q1sc49.jpg

2qtwuqh.jpg

After canopy:
nzosqw.jpg

As a few of you know, I was flaunting a secret build on NeoCraft, well...

A secret is revealed: THE MEGA HARVESTER

tSFpk.jpg

So far I have: three tiers of 200 wheat, melon (and pumpkins come 1.9!) farm, and a sugar cane area.

jnRg5.jpg

Melon Harvester in action! Come to think of it, I might just change the switches to buttons :)

My goal is to make everything piston powered for ease of harvesting.

Things I'm adding in the future: Shrooms, Vines, Cacti, Trees, Animals, whatever else Mojang adds, & Netherwart if possible.

:D

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
ArtistDude88 said:
As a few of you know, I was flaunting a secret build on NeoCraft, well...

A secret is revealed: THE MEGA HARVESTER

http://i.imgur.com/tSFpk.jpg[
So far I have: three tiers of 200 wheat, melon (and pumpkins come 1.9!) farm, and a sugar cane area.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jnRg5.jpg[
Melon Harvester in action! Come to think of it, I might just change the switches to buttons :)

My goal is to make [I]everything[/I] piston powered for ease of harvesting.

Things I'm adding in the future: Shrooms, Vines, Cacti, Trees, Animals, whatever else Mojang adds, & Netherwart if possible.

:D[/QUOTE]Nethier wart is possible. But only in he nethier.

Top Bottom