• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
CrAzYLeGzLU said:
I haven't seen them on Neocraft since the first couple of weeks. Do they respawn?
Below the 16th block then in chunks. Check mine craft fourms for mods or tools to find slimes. There's a formula to finding them. Since nothing is ever really random on computers.

I'm thinking about adding mods for my SSP saves. Which ones do you guys think work best in general (i.e. you ought to have them just because they're awesome)?

Zomba13

Ark said:
According to Krovan he even came online later and started talking in his broken english, then when Krovan told him his building rights had been revoked he said 'Well fuck you all' in perfect english and logged.
XD

Anyway, I think I'll return to the server when the we're at 1.9 or whatever is coming next. The one with the enchantments and potions. Then I'll start on a project or something.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Togglesworlh said:
I've told you specifically in the past, on Steam, that I would never grief Minecraft. I spelled out my exact reasons for this stance.

Yes, I think griefing is hilarious. Yes, I think griefers make the game more interesting. Yes, I think people who are that bothered by griefing have issues.

But I'd still never do it. You should know better than to accuse me of these things. You know me pretty well as it is.

I, good sir, completely disagree with your opinion in every aspect.

I know that when I build something in game, no matter how large and impressive or how small and stupid it is, I don't like anyone fucking with it. Sure, little things like someone posting a sign with comments and such can be fun and awesome, but real griefing, well that I don't abide with in any form or fashion. It comes down to this: treat others as you yourself want to be treated. Period. If you like griefing and find if funny then play on a server that allows that behavior. There are plenty of them where griefing is encouraged and the norm. NeoGAF is not one of them. We like our shit being preserved and left alone for others to see and enjoy. I find nothing about griefing on our server hilarious in any fashion.

But, that's my opinion.

Lax Mike said:
OK, I started building a transportation system to help me get around the server,and so far I've got this:
http://i.imgur.com/KS0Vq.jpg[IMG]

Red dots are locations I would like to be able to be accessed via my network.

Blue lines are the lowest priority for building, and I doubt I'll build them unless I get bored.

Green are Prioritized projects.

The red denotes work in progress/completed. I've nearly completed my railway from my base to Arktown, but I just need some more powered rails to make the return trip possible.

I'm also debating whether to make the routes underground in order to be efficient, or above ground for a more scenic approach. If it's above ground, I'll need to be more roundabout and build out of the way of other projects, though the endermen might present a problem.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Be sure you really want to do this. It's very time consuming to build, assuming you don't just do a 2x2 tunnel near the surface. Just got finished working on a rail systems for a server of about 15 people. Here's the service map:

[URL="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10657011/trains.jpg"]Linked due to size.[/URL]

Each station is exactly 512 apart, the North/South lines run at 36 down and East/West runs at 44 down. Eventually going to create a YouTube video of riding the line station to station. We also made each station fit the area it was in so that it wouldn't be an eyesore to people.

It seems like it doesn't take long when you plan it, but I think its taken us 2 weeks or so to finish with the other guy being in school, which allowed him to work on it during the day.

Mengy said:
I, good sir, completely disagree with your opinion in every aspect.
I always expect everyone in this thread to disagree with me about Minecraft.

If you like griefing and find if funny then play on a server that allows that behavior.
If only it were that easy. I also want to play with my friends, which means I have to put up with some rulesets I would otherwise hate.

One time me and a couple of friends "griefed" someone on an older GAF server by going into their house, stealing a record, placing a sign next to the chest where the record used to be that said "follow the trail if you ever want to hear the music again", and placing a path of redstone from the chest all the way out into the wild where no one had built anything. Then we put a sign at the end of the trail that said something to the effect of "up or down: you choose". We dug a hole straight down to where there was a hole in the bedrock and filled up the top few blocks, so if they dug down, they'd fall to their death. Then, a tiny floating island way up in the sky.

The record was buried in a chest under the house. A sign on the floating island explained as much.

It was awesome. I don't consider it real griefing, though. More of a prank. :3

I think the guy we did it to had already quit, so no one ever figured it out. ):

But going as far as actually destroying someone's building is way too far for me. I would feel terrible if I did that.

notsol337

marked forever
Togglesworlh said:
I always expect everyone in this thread to disagree with me about Minecraft.

If only it were that easy. I also want to play with my friends, which means I have to put up with some rulesets I would otherwise hate.

I'll play griefcraft with you :3

N-Bomb

Togglesworlh said:
The record was buried in a chest under the house. A sign on the floating island explained as much.

It was awesome. I don't consider it real griefing, though. More of a prank. :3

I think the guy we did it to had already quit, so no one ever figured it out. ):

But going as far as actually destroying someone's building is way too far for me. I would feel terrible if I did that.

Now that's griefing with style. I can kind of appreciate that, since it wasn't really destructive.

Blizzard

Banned
Pandaman said:
dropping someone into the void with all their items isnt destructive?
That's what I was thinking. Losing all your millions of diamonds you might be carrying because of a trap someone made is no good.

Of course, one could then say that you should know better than to dig down, and you shouldn't be wearing diamond armor out in the countryside for fear of outlaws, etc.

MackVee

Neo Member
Puppet Shadow said:
Really nice work there, must have taken awhile to do. Kudos on the concept.
Thanks..Yeah, took about 3 days to dig the hole. Was going to build a gaint tardis, even worked out the dimensions and stuff but didn't account for how rare Lapis Ore was so I had to abandon that idea. I did trade gold for some blue wool, but quickly lost them after getting killed by Creepers...twice. :(

Chuckpebble

Gaf! Help! My google-fu is weak. How do I either:

A. Find the seed to play the world shown in the title screen

or

B. Have the title screen show a world of mine in the background.

I keep getting this stupid wiki article explaining all of the yellow text blurbs.

MackVee said:
Thanks..Yeah, took about 3 days to dig the hole. Was going to build a gaint tardis, even worked out the dimensions and stuff but didn't account for how rare Lapis Ore was so I had to abandon that idea. I did trade gold for some blue wool, but quickly lost them after getting killed by Creepers...twice. :(

I have an excess of lapis. If you got gold, we can talk.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:
That's what I was thinking. Losing all your millions of diamonds you might be carrying because of a trap someone made is no good.

Of course, one could then say that you should know better than to dig down, and you shouldn't be wearing diamond armor out in the countryside for fear of outlaws, etc.
The trap at least had some warning in that it was an obvouse thing that could happen (Plus, you should never just dig down), traps that kill you for just walking into a room are the worst. Once, when exploring, I walked into a this sizable shrine thing that looked cool, took a few steps, hit a switch, got pushed down into a opened up floor that revealed a lake of lava.

I may or may not have burned the guys house down after that.

Drkirby said:
The trap at least had some warning in that it was an obvouse thing that could happen (Plus, you should never just dig down), traps that kill you for just walking into a room are the worst. Once, when exploring, I walked into a this sizable shrine thing that looked cool, took a few steps, hit a switch, got pushed down into a opened up floor that revealed a lake of lava.

I may or may not have burned the guys house down after that.
This may be the most awesome minecraft revenge story I have heard. Thank you.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
On the first GAF server I built a tower underground. And a railway to get down. I made a giant lake of lava that the rail cart jumped into at the end of the railway, except I timed it so it landed in a hole of water that would lower it to the entryway. You couldn't see the hole until you were in it though, so everyone thought they were about to die.

Scared the crap out of people, was great.

Blizzard

Banned
DrForester said:
On the first GAF server I built a tower underground. And a railway to get down. I made a giant lake of lava that the rail cart jumped into at the end of the railway, except I timed it so it landed in a hole of water that would lower it to the entryway. You couldn't see the hole until you were in it though, so everyone thought they were about to die.

That's awesome, and it would be terrible if Notch changed minecraft physics somehow, throwing off the careful arrangements. XD

DrForester said:

I remember that! And now I have painful memories of my beautiful new community tower being built and then the server closing :(

Mengy

Man, I've been out of power since Saturday afternoon due to the snow blizzard, and I'm really jonesing to play some Minecraft but can't. And the power company estimates I won't have power back until Friday night. This is gonna be a really long week.....

Jasoco

Banned
Chuckpebble said:
Gaf! Help! My google-fu is weak. How do I either:

A. Find the seed to play the world shown in the title screen

or

B. Have the title screen show a world of mine in the background.

I keep getting this stupid wiki article explaining all of the yellow text blurbs.
A) It's not a seed anyone knows. Ask Notch. I highly doubt he'd know as he probably just created a world, took some screenshots and called it a day.

B) It's a set of images with PhotoShop applied blurring. It simply rotates the image slowly and changes to the others at an interval. It's a glorified screensaver with Ken Burns effects. It's not actually showing a real world and blurring the image as that would be extremely intensive on the processor.

I... What? How did an Enderman manage to grab this one?

HthsQ.jpg

Hey guys, so my friend started a server here with the minecraft server thing. But how can we save the server? I mean, the settings, etc. It would be sad to lose all our progress?

Mengy

Complex Shadow said:
ender can grab through blocks they cant.

Not for long. Enjoy it while you can endermen, your time is coming very soon!!!

Man, when I get power back and can play again, I shudder to think just how many holes my fortress on Neocraft will have in it... :(

Jasoco said:
B) It's a set of images with PhotoShop applied blurring. It simply rotates the image slowly and changes to the others at an interval. It's a glorified screensaver with Ken Burns effects. It's not actually showing a real world and blurring the image as that would be extremely intensive on the processor.

Actually, the Aether mod has the menu preview the area where you left off. I'm not sure how it goes about this, but it does show your world is some form.

r1chard

Is there a reasonably good printable reference for crafting?

I know there's the wiki, but it's a pain to use when you're playing in fullscreen.

I love the Android app but my daughter isn't allowed to keep my phone just for that :)

TheNiX said:
Be sure you really want to do this. It's very time consuming to build, assuming you don't just do a 2x2 tunnel near the surface. Just got finished working on a rail systems for a server of about 15 people. Here's the service map:

Linked due to size.

Each station is exactly 512 apart, the North/South lines run at 36 down and East/West runs at 44 down. Eventually going to create a YouTube video of riding the line station to station. We also made each station fit the area it was in so that it wouldn't be an eyesore to people.

It seems like it doesn't take long when you plan it, but I think its taken us 2 weeks or so to finish with the other guy being in school, which allowed him to work on it during the day.

Do you have pics of the stations?

limlark

Artistdude, it's bluebren.

I've looked at my map and... I think we've made the long side of an oval. I'll MSPaint it up shortly.

Blizzard

Banned
Was there ever a reasonable replacement for the old minecart acceleration glitch added so you can have minecarts (powered or not) travel at a reasonable speed? For a game possibly inspired by Rollercoaster Tycoon, Minecraft needs more kart speed! :O

Vlad

Blizzard said:
Was there ever a reasonable replacement for the old minecart acceleration glitch added so you can have minecarts (powered or not) travel at a reasonable speed? For a game possibly inspired by Rollercoaster Tycoon, Minecraft needs more kart speed! :O

Well, depends on what you call reasonable. There are the powered minecart rails that he added soon afterwards, but those don't let you go nearly as fast as the earlier boosters do.

Giard

Need some help about editing a world....I just removed chunks from an old world hoping they would generate again with some new elements (villages, etc.)

Instead of generating the old chunks again, they're totally new. For example, I removed an ocean, but instead of ocean, there a huge mountain that completely ruins the landscape. Did I do something wrong? I was sure that once a world was generated, the chunks would stay the same because of the world's seed number.

Vlad

Giard said:
Need some help about editing a world....I just removed chunks from an old world hoping they would generate again with some new elements (villages, etc.)

Instead of generating the old chunks again, they're totally new. For example, I removed an ocean, but instead of ocean, there a huge mountain that completely ruins the landscape. Did I do something wrong? I was sure that once a world was generated, the chunks would stay the same because of the world's seed number.

It depends on when the old world was generated. There have been several big changes to the world generation in recent versions, so a world generated on a certain seed in 1.6 won't generate the same in 1.8 on the same seed.

Giard

Vlad said:
It depends on when the old world was generated. There have been several big changes to the world generation in recent versions, so a world generated on a certain seed in 1.6 won't generate the same in 1.8 on the same seed.
Thanks. It was indeed before 1.8.
That kinda sucks. The ground level and the water level changed as well. What should I do...

Vlad

Giard said:
Thanks. It was indeed before 1.8.
That kinda sucks. The ground level and the water level changed as well. What should I do...

Best thing you can do is attempt to revert back to the version you were using before you deleted the chunks and re-generate them there. Still, you're going to have the same problem as soon as you explore new chunks in a newer version.

Ranger X

Man is this thread quiet lately. You guys are waiting for the release I suppose?
Personally I don't have time to play because of the classes I am taking but I shall be back in late december.

Top Bottom