• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

It's rather obvious that his question was a rhetorical one. I... I can't believe I am still having a conversation about a fucking conversation. Good lord. I'M OUT. Have at each other.

Grinchy

Banned
In lighter news, I never did find any Nether warts in the stronghold. I searched for hours and got frustrated enough to use invedit to give myself 5 of them. Then, I planted them and kept expanding my little nether base to kill time while they grew. I'd re-plant any that grew to full size and the next thing I knew I had this many:

Now I can make tons of potions haha. Potions are awesome. The extra speed ones are going to be really handy for traveling great distances to find other biomes.

noah111

Still Alive
OK, i'm new to this but I just discovered minecraft on iTunes, DLed it onto my phone and holly shit time has FLOWN. So much fun, and this is all by myself. Made a giant pyramid and secret rooms for fun.

photo%201.PNG

photo%202.PNG

photo%203.PNG

photo%204.PNG

I think I need to jump on the desktop version of this. What's the story behind this, exactly?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
the story is you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing and a mean dragon called you a bad name so you have to conquer inter-dimensional planes to murder him.

Jasoco

Banned
It's rather obvious that his question was a rhetorical one. I... I can't believe I am still having a conversation about a fucking conversation. Good lord. I'M OUT. Have at each other.

And THAT is why I wanted to keep the discussion to Minecraft only.

Anyway, I was serious about the double-door "bug". It's weird in that if I try to open the left side door, the right side opens then the left on second click. And if I try to close the right side, the left side closes first. Is this intentional? Because it makes it so I can't even put a plate behind the left side door anymore because it makes the right side open instead. WTF? Bug I hope!

Salaadin

Is there a way to get Vsync working in this? I created profiles for it in Radeonpro and it caps my frames at 60 in singleplayer but not multi.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
the story is you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing and a mean dragon called you a bad name so you have to conquer inter-dimensional planes to murder him.

Or not. Not like there's anyone around to give a shit either way.

bengraven

I really hope at some point someone mods in better villages. I don't need a lot of crap like Radiant AI or anything (maybe just people going inside when it's dark). Just better looking buildings with more variety.

I'd also love little places out in the wilderness, like a small farm with a house, barn and field. Or guard towers.

YES I'M PLAYING SKYRIM FUCK YOU

They need to hire the Terraria guys, game would be awesome with all its content.

*runs away*

Don't fucking run away!

I was just thinking that today. "What if Minecraft had all the Terraria features?"

More bosses, more variety in enemies, ambiant wildlife, better things to craft like guns and decorations for your house.

Segnit

Banned
My comments were in response to the person who suggested that Minecraft was not a game.

This isn't about this

Hardcore mode is awesome. Everything matters now including proper planning for agriculture, animal farming, attention to adequate lighting, double layer defense walls, gear, allies (wolves).

I will find it so hard to get back to SMP on Neocraft and re-adjust to a very low risk environment.

Still, this game is only half as good as it can be in a year or two, but it's almost a proper game now. I am loving it.

is it? Sorry haven't been following the events of the past week or something.

Blizzard

Banned
This isn't about this

is it? Sorry haven't been following the events of the past week or something.
No, just in response to the very brief comment:

":lol

Hopefully Jeb can make this a game."

Anyway it's been discussed ad nauseum so I don't want to make any more of a big deal out of it. :)

celebi23

I've found my new favorite texture pack:

Oh, Ark, any word when the server will be updated to 1.0? Oh and guys, I've got sooo many ender pearls on the server that we'll have plenty to find and open a portal to The End :D My revenge on the Endermen finally has a purpose :D

Jasoco

Banned
Decorations would be nice. But people have been begging for furniture forever. They need to implement a new furniture crafting/woodworking table with all the decorational recipes in it. Anything that's used for decoration would belong to it. We build these huge castles and towns and have nothing to put in them aside from blocks of wood and wood steps with signs on the ends to resemble chairs or fence posts with pressure plates. That's not enough.

Maybe one day. Make it so you can have chairs that can be sat in for no other reason than to look funny to other people, like in Skyward Sword (Is there any actual use for sitting in that game?)

And THAT is why I wanted to keep the discussion to Minecraft only.

I don't think that's the fault of Terraria so much as it is a miscommunication on everyone's part. I stand by what I said: legitimate discussion is going to branch out and include more than the core topic.

Also, your face.

Decorations would be nice. But people have been begging for furniture forever. They need to implement a new furniture crafting/woodworking table with all the decorational recipes in it. Anything that's used for decoration would belong to it. We build these huge castles and towns and have nothing to put in them aside from blocks of wood and wood steps with signs on the ends to resemble chairs or fence posts with pressure plates. That's not enough.

Maybe one day. Make it so you can have chairs that can be sat in for no other reason than to look funny to other people, like in Skyward Sword (Is there any actual use for sitting in that game?)
That's usually what makes me give up on building stuff. I can make it look pretty neat from the outside, but I've always been more of a detail-oriented builder, so I like to be very precise in how I build things. (Whether or not it works is another thing entirely.) Making fake benches and shit just looks ugly. I do not like it.

Sitting in Skyward Sword replenishes your health. It also opens up some alternate conversations sometimes with people standing nearby.

bengraven

Oh, Ark, any word when the server will be updated to 1.0? Oh and guys, I've got sooo many ender pearls on the server that we'll have plenty to find and open a portal to The End :D My revenge on the Endermen finally has a purpose :D

This
THIS
THISSSSSS

Is what I've been looking for! I've been asking for an HD version of the original textures and people haven't really understood what I was talking about. And THIS is it.

Perfect! I'm happy now!

Max

I am not Max

Wow this is perfect. Exactly what I've been looking for.

Ark

Probably at least not until Wednesday, I still can't see a way to upgrade the server yet, so I'll send a ticket into Multiplay anyway, but I'm going to be really busy over the next four or so days.

I'll do what I can though!

celebi23

Probably at least not until Wednesday, I still can't see a way to upgrade the server yet, so I'll send a ticket into Multiplay anyway, but I'm going to be really busy over the next four or so days.

Ok, thanks Ark. Oh & I'd seriously be willing to donate my Ender Pearls for use in finding & opening the portal to The End on NeoCraft :D I've got at least 50 of them (I think) :p

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Ark said:

id rather you focus on your exams

madmook

Just bought Minecraft today, my first real experience with the game. Was playing single player normal survival mode.

Is there any way to defend against those giant green dicks that explode? I was just starting to get the hang of things, had spent some time getting stones (putting cobblestones into a furnace) and had built a tiny little house near a beach, and overnight one of these fuckers decides to park his douchey ass right outside my front door.

Morning came and shitcock wouldn't go away, so I opened the door and charged out swingin' my sword. Well he blew up and took half of my tiny house with him. I stared in dismay at my now fubar'd abode and I quit out of the game. Why the fuck would anyone think that kind of enemy would be fun?

Blizzard

Banned
Just bought Minecraft today, my first real experience with the game. Was playing single player normal survival mode.

Is there any way to defend against those giant green dicks that explode? I was just starting to get the hang of things, had spent some time getting stones (putting cobblestones into a furnace) and had built a tiny little house near a beach, and overnight one of these fuckers decides to park his douchey ass right outside my front door.

Morning came and shitcock wouldn't go away, so I opened the door and charged out swingin' my sword. Well he blew up and took half of my tiny house with him. I stared in dismay at my now fubar'd abode and I quit out of the game. Why the fuck would anyone think that kind of enemy would be fun?
I guess part of the "fun" for some people is that the threat of the monster (called a creeper) is scary. They're one of the scariest monsters in the game (outside of the nether?) since they can blow up your house or knock you off a cliff.

If you don't want to deal with them, you can set the difficulty to peaceful so you just explore and build without encountering monsters. If you DO want to deal with them, here are some tips:

1. Make your house surrounded by a 2-block high wall, with a moat beyond that. Water doesn't have to be in it, it can just be a ditch that surrounds the house. Put torches on the outside walls of your house/the inside of your wall. Then instead of having stairs to climb the wall outside, make a gap (1 or two blocks wide) so you have to jump to your wall to get inside. I think that should prevent any monsters besides spiders from jumping in, and nothing should spawn inside the lighted area.

2. Just in case anything went wrong, and in case of spiders which climb walls, make a rooftop exit for your house so you can make SURE the normal exit is clear before you go out.

3. One way to kill some monsters is to make a little window and swing the sword through that. I think it's possible to kill creepers that way but very dangerous since you have to run backwards after you knock them away, otherwise they'll explode.

4. If you are ever caught by a creeper in the open, I seem to recall that you can knock them away with your sword, then run until they stop hissing, then do it again until they're dead. If you get caught by another monster while doing that then you probably blow up anyway.

Don't give up and I hope it's more fun in the future! :)

madmook

Goddamn there's no way I'll ever build an impenetrable fortress, I lack both the creativity and the architectural wherewithal. I guess I'll just have to lure those suicide bombers away from home before killing them.

Another quick question: the world seems to be auto-populated with random animals. Are there any AI npcs or other "human" characters around? Perhaps with their own houses or buildings? One of the options when I started a new game said something about villages or towns...

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Goddamn there's no way I'll ever build an impenetrable fortress, I lack both the creativity and the architectural wherewithal. I guess I'll just have to lure those suicide bombers away from home before killing them.

Another quick question: the world seems to be auto-populated with random animals. Are there any AI npcs or other "human" characters around? Perhaps with their own houses or buildings? One of the options when I started a new game said something about villages or towns...

there are "human" npcs around, but they do nothing. by nothing i mean NOTHING. they live in towns, i don't know how hard it is to find the towns but yea.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Anyone know which enchantment is the silk touch one? Figuring those out are kinda difficult :/

The "names" (the Galactic Alphabet writing) have no correlation to what the enchantments actually are. It's all random.

mollipen

So, pardon the dumb question, but it's been a while since I've played Minecraft. I know about the random towns that you might come across, but are there similar things underground? I was digging around, and then suddenly found a place that was certainly designed. Had wooden pillars, and cobwebs, and then like these huge wooden columns going down to water further down.

If I find something like that, is there something to find, or is it just ranomly-placed designed "dungeons"?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
So, pardon the dumb question, but it's been a while since I've played Minecraft. I know about the random towns that you might come across, but are there similar things underground? I was digging around, and then suddenly found a place that was certainly designed. Had wooden pillars, and cobwebs, and then like these huge wooden columns going down to water further down.

If I find something like that, is there something to find, or is it just ranomly-placed designed "dungeons"?
those are abandoned mineshafts, you'll find ores and the odd chest but nothing special.

there are large underground structures similair to towns though, you'll know when you find one. :3

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I thought Notch said that the NPCs were involved in quests? Damn, if they do nothing, why have them in the game at all?
he said he'll update them to do something (quests, etc) but that was awhile ago, now that jeb is incharge we might actually see something, not soon, but we will.

Quixzlizx

You could always just have two different exits to your base. It also doesn't take much creativity to dig an underground escape tunnel.

Blizzard

Banned
You could always just have two different exits to your base. It also doesn't take much creativity to dig an underground escape tunnel.
Yeah, you don't have to do a complicated design to make a wall around your house either. It just needs to be two blocks high so most monsters can't climb, and have a gap outside it so things won't climb stairs.

Ranger X

OK, i'm new to this but I just discovered minecraft on iTunes, DLed it onto my phone and holly shit time has FLOWN. So much fun, and this is all by myself. Made a giant pyramid and secret rooms for fun.
I think I need to jump on the desktop version of this. What's the story behind this, exactly?

This is like 5% of what "full Minecraft" is on PC. You should totally buy the game if you could get catched by the portable version. In the full game you'll explore caves, will play / use / face NPCs like bad mobs and good mobs, farming, making devices with red stone, finding PLENTY more blocks and items, more tools, crafting, brewing, smelting, enchanting, etc. In incredible the content that you're missing right now. Jump in.

Ranger X

Is there a cheap way to get this game? I thought it was cheaper than $26.

I actually feel its still cheap for all you can do/play with in there. The numbers of hours I gave to this game is simply ridiculous. But yeah, it was free at first then it was 10$ on Alpha, 14$ on Beta and 26$ on release. Basically, the more there is content the more it raise prices. (althought it shouldn,t raise anymore if I understand Notch's model right.)

That's why I always back up my save :p Still, that kinda sucks

Heh no worries, it's all fun. It was my first expedition into a fortress and I kinda charged in to a fight with 2 Blazes then a Ghast opened up on me from behind, so I guess I was asking for it. Should have used some of that xp for some fire protection before I went. Still, I got 4 blaze rods in the end, which enabled me to make some eyes of enders, which has allowed me to locate my first stronghold. So, mission accomplished ... albeit rather expensively :lol

Venfayth

Man so much stuff has gone on since I last had a chance to play Minecraft. Hoping to get some free time near X-mas. Is Ark's server up to date with the release version?

bengraven

I'm still patiently waiting for the server to update. I haven't been on in like three or four months, since I was playing the pre-releases than Skyrim.

In fact, all my stuff is still on the Ark.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm still patiently waiting for the server to update. I haven't been on in like three or four months, since I was playing the pre-releases than Skyrim.

In fact, all my stuff is still on the Ark.

When I updated to 1.0 I was playing on Neocraft every chance I could, and I fully intended to just dabble in 1.0 and then get back to Neocraft. But I got sucked into starting a brand new single player world and I haven't been on the server since. I spawned on a large island and I've been busy setting up a large base / farm and spelunking the huge ravine and cave complex beneath my island. At this point I'm just going to keep playing my 1.0 world and wait until Ark updates the server to go back to Neocraft. I just don't feel like switching versions. More than than, I'm loving 1.0 so much that I don't want to go backwards again.

I've been playing around with enchanting for the past few nights. It's interesting, I'm finding it quite useful. Last night I turned a zombie spawner that I had discovered into a zombie grinder to accumulate XP for enchants. I've got so many stacks of useless rotten flesh that I don't know what to do with it all (I need to find a skelly spawner).

Enchanting has made one thing clear to me though: we are going to want an XP grinder on Neocraft somewhere. Probably even more than one. Not a mob grinder, but an XP grinder, where the mobs are funneled into a "kill zone" and we can then slice them up safely for XP orbs to spend on enchants. I'm going to try to make a grinder that can do both on my 1.0 world, with a piston to control the lava knife or something.

Ranger X

Enchanting has made one thing clear to me though: we are going to want an XP grinder on Neocraft somewhere. Probably even more than one. Not a mob grinder, but an XP grinder, where the mobs are funneled into a "kill zone" and we can then slice them up safely for XP orbs to spend on enchants. I'm going to try to make a grinder that can do both on my 1.0 world, with a piston to control the lava knife or something.

Yes this is definetely important now. I actually made one in my single player world (it actually does both). I would of course be down for making one in Neocraft.

Toki1776

When I updated to 1.0 I was playing on Neocraft every chance I could, and I fully intended to just dabble in 1.0 and then get back to Neocraft. But I got sucked into starting a brand new single player world and I haven't been on the server since. I spawned on a large island and I've been busy setting up a large base / farm and spelunking the huge ravine and cave complex beneath my island. At this point I'm just going to keep playing my 1.0 world and wait until Ark updates the server to go back to Neocraft. I just don't feel like switching versions. More than than, I'm loving 1.0 so much that I don't want to go backwards again.

I've been playing around with enchanting for the past few nights. It's interesting, I'm finding it quite useful. Last night I turned a zombie spawner that I had discovered into a zombie grinder to accumulate XP for enchants. I've got so many stacks of useless rotten flesh that I don't know what to do with it all (I need to find a skelly spawner).

As far as I've been able to tell, you only get XP when you kill an enemy, not when the envirnment does, so unless I'm mistaken, an XP farm has to be manual.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
As far as I've been able to tell, you only get XP when you kill an enemy, not when the envirnment does, so unless I'm mistaken, an XP farm has to be manual.

Sure, it has to be a manual kill if you are grinding for XP. But someone might want to simply collect mob drops sometimes too the old fashioned way, and an XP grinder could problably be designed to accommodate both tasks fairly easily.

Hmmm, I just had an idea for a community grinder on Neocraft. Actually, four grinders in one. Sort of. Gonna have to think about this one...

Top Bottom