• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
As far as I've been able to tell, you only get XP when you kill an enemy, not when the envirnment does, so unless I'm mistaken, an XP farm has to be manual.

I think that's what he means- having a mob grinder built with a lava knife design, but you can turn off the lava and turn it into an XP grinder.

I'm pondering similar myself. A mob grinder with a piston and window in the drop column (before the knife), so if it's extended it's an XP grinder and if it isn't it's a mob grinder. Not positive it'll work, though.

Grinchy

Banned
Last night I turned a zombie spawner that I had discovered into a zombie grinder to accumulate XP for enchants. I've got so many stacks of useless rotten flesh that I don't know what to do with it all (I need to find a skelly spawner).

I found a skelly spawner almost right at the surface level in my 1.0 world. I just turned it into a fall damage grinder. I find that I have to stand near the grinder to make it spawn skellys and then go down my ladder to collect, though. I didn't realize that standing underneath was too far down to make them spawn.

As far as enchanting goes, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I enchanted my first item last night. I didn't really know anything about it before then, and didn't realize it was all so random. That took away a lot of the excitement for me. So far my favorite addition to the game is the brewing. The potions are so damn useful. 8 minutes of complete fire resistance makes the Nether so much less stressful. The speed potions are great for getting around. The strength ones are nice for grinding xp and getting items like blaze rods.

Atomski

The more I play 1.0 the more I feel kinda let down. No underwater stuff or real mod support. Plus I am not fan of the enchanting system.. (grinding for hours and I have to translate to see what the enchants are wtf?) also making a grinder just feels cheap. Creepers use to be cool but like all the mobs in Minecraft they are just boring now.. even the new Endermen suck. They sounded so scary when explained but in game that are not scary at all. Rather than port to you and do tons of damage they port away from you... annoying as hell.

Even creative mode feels a bit stale now.. I'd rather actually just design something in illustrator or actually put that time into learning a 3D design program :p.

The more I play 1.0 the more I feel kinda let down. No underwater stuff or real mod support. Plus I am not fan of the enchanting system.. (grinding for hours and I have to translate to see what the enchants are wtf?) also making a grinder just feels cheap. Creepers use to be cool but like all the mobs in Minecraft they are just boring now.. even the new Endermen suck. They sounded so scary when explained but in game that are not scary at all. Rather than port to you and do tons of damage they port away from you... annoying as hell.

Even creative mode feels a bit stale now.. I'd rather actually just design something in illustrator or actually put that time into learning a 3D design program :p.

Despite the flexibility and creativity of Minecraft, its a game, and the shine eventually wears off. That means its time to play something else. The great thing about Minecraft, though, is that you can come back in a few months, and there will be some major additions to the game.

Atomski

you should! Go be more productive with your time.

I do graphic design already. Ive always had a hard time with 3D software.. feel like I need someone to actually show me wtf to do lol. Maybe sometime I will take a class.

Despite the flexibility and creativity of Minecraft, its a game, and the shine eventually wears off. That means its time to play something else. The great thing about Minecraft, though, is that you can come back in a few months, and there will be some major additions to the game.
Thats part of my letdown though.. I waited for the final release thinking there would be some great new stuff. But really not much has changed and what has is not very notable.

Feel like I will have to just hold out now till theres actual mod support. Has there been any news on that pokemon mod? :p

Despite the flexibility and creativity of Minecraft, its a game, and the shine eventually wears off. That means its time to do something else. The great thing about Minecraft, though, is that you can come back in a few months, and there will be some major additions to the game.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Do we really need that many farms =\ I say food farms are fine. Mob farms are fine. But an xp farm seems...stale. Wouldn't it be better if we could make it a two in farm. Like say if you flip a switch it turns from an XP farm to an mob farm?

Ranger X

Here's my double purpose Mob Grinder.

DrowningTube3.png

You set it to the mode you want (drowning or experience points)...

GrinderSettings.png

Then a double set of pistons will block the corresponding canals...

GrinderMechanism.png

So you can collect the loot...

DrowningTube2.png

Or kill ennemies through the safety holes for experience points.

ExperienceCollector.png

It's working really fine. It cannot catch Endermen though. I will absolutely need a fall damage Mob Grinder for them.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Here's my double purpose Mob Grinder.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/RangerX_photos/DrowningTube3.png[/I]

You set it to the mode you want (drowning or experience points)...

[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/RangerX_photos/GrinderSettings.png[/I

Then a double set of pistons will block the corresponding canals...

[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/RangerX_photos/GrinderMechanism.png[/I

So you can collect the loot...

[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/RangerX_photos/DrowningTube2.png[/I

Or kill ennemies through the safety holes for experience points.

[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/RangerX_photos/ExperienceCollector.png[/IM

It's working really fine. It cannot catch Endermen though. I will absolutely need a fall damage Mob Grinder for them.[/QUOTE]Something like this but maybe near a slime spawn with a switch to turn on and off slime spawing.

Coins

Banned
This is a straight up noob question.

My wife and I watched a tutorial on basically the first day and night in Minecraft. It looked fun so we looked for more YT vids and most of them are basically cool looking house designs. We dont want to build houses, though.

My question is this..

Is there any type of goals? Is the point to just survive from day to day? I heard on weekend confirmed that you can even enchant stuff now. Is that true?

I guess Im hoping theres more to the game than just survive every night.

Ferrio

Banned

My wife and I watched a tutorial on basically the first day and night in Minecraft. It looked fun so we looked for more YT vids and most of them are basically cool looking house designs. We dont want to build houses, though.

My question is this..

Is there any type of goals? Is the point to just survive from day to day? I heard on weekend confirmed that you can even enchant stuff now. Is that true?

There is no real goal. Build stuff, go spelunking, explore the world. Surviviing the night is only really a problem when you first start a new world. After you've gotton he basic materials you're pretty much good to go. Yes you can enchant stuff with exp now, and make potions.

Also you may not want to build houses now. But usually what happens is you'll make a little starting area to keep your stuff. THen you'll go "Hrm... you know this would be better if I had a _____" next thing you know it's 4 am.

The game is pretty much a "Make your own adventure" game.

I think yahtzee did a damn fine summation of the game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2680-Minecraft

Wichu

The newest version has an end
called simply The End
; I guess the end goal of Minecraft is to beat the boss there (at least, that's what gets you the credits sequence).

But for most people, it's just a vast sandbox for building/exploring.

EDIT: Ninja'd :(

Ranger X

My question is this..

The goal of the game is for you to make yourself goals. Basically, the game throw systems and gameplay at you and then you do whatever you want with them. There's sort of an adventure to complete however if you want something more linear but it really isn't the main meat of the game. Minecraft is pretty much everything others aren't... and actually that's why it's great. I personally had alot of different trips with this game. I've been an explorer, I've been a spelunker, a farmer, and a builder. You focus on what creates fun for you.

I found a good 1.0 seed tonight. You start in a swamp biome surrounded by animals, staring directly at an NPC village with its rows and rows of preplanted wheat. On the other side of the village there is an exposed dungeon with a skeleton spawner buried in sand.

Bakphoon

I found a good 1.0 seed tonight. You start in a swamp biome surrounded by animals, staring directly at an NPC village with its rows and rows of preplanted wheat. On the other side of the village there is an exposed dungeon with a skeleton spawner buried in sand.

Thank you for sharing the seed, but would it be possible to get the coordinates of the village too? because everyone spawns different. At least i can't find the village :/

Coins

Banned
The goal of the game is for you to make yourself goals. Basically, the game throw systems and gameplay at you and then you do whatever you want with them. There's sort of an adventure to complete however if you want something more linear but it really isn't the main meat of the game. Minecraft is pretty much everything others aren't... and actually that's why it's great. I personally had alot of different trips with this game. I've been an explorer, I've been a spelunker, a farmer, and a builder. You focus on what creates fun for you.

So if Im a farmer, is there something to work towards? Something I can grow that I could not as a new farmer?

Grinchy

Banned
So if Im a farmer, is there something to work towards? Something I can grow that I could not as a new farmer?

I guess you just work towards building a bigger farm with more items (animals, melons, ect). But then those things have a use. You need a bunch of wheat if you want to breed a bunch of animals, for example. You'll want to grow a lot of sugarcane if you want to make a bunch of bookshelves.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So last night I made it my mission to explore my nether until I found a nether fortress, and I had to travel far and wide but eventually I stumbled upon a netherbrick bridge sticking out of some netherrack. I almost missed it, when I actually spotted it in the shadow of an overhang it was like I'd discovered some long lost forgotten temple or something, lol. In fact the only reason I found it at all was that I was dodging fireballs from two ghasts at that moment and I ran under the overhang to take cover. I was going to post pics of it but I'll refrain to avoid spoiling nether fortresses for people wjho haven't seen them yet. If you don't want to know anything about new nether stuff, stop reading now!

I had three reasons why I wanted to find a nether fortress:

1. I wanted a blaze rod to make my first alchemy table
2. I wanted to find nether warts for potions
3. curiosity

After staircasing my way up to the netherbrick bridge I discovered that it leads into a huge, and I mean HUGE, nether fortress of bridges, rooms, tunnels, balconies, and fenced in decks, and almost the entire thing is buried underneath a mountain of netherrack. It only barely juts out of the netherrack in three places, it would be very easy to miss this huge place entirely. So the fortress has multiple levels and rooms, with two nether wart gardens and two blaze spawners. But both spawners are up on what would be exposed porches or decks of sorts, except for the fact that the spawner areas are encased in netherrack buried deep under the mountain. So the only path for the blazes to escape is down the staircase that leads to them. Naturally I encase the doorways with cobble except for one open block, a kill window. Now I can sit there and sword blazes to death at will with very little risk. Fairly easy XP and blaze rods! I placed torches all around one of the spawners but that doesn't seem to stop blaze spawners from working, I don't know if you even can shut them down. However, I have noticed that blazes do seem to randomly spawn in the fortress's hallways while I run around them. It seems to me like blaze spawners aren't the only way that blazes appear, I think they have a small chance to spawn on netherbrick blocks as well.

So I spent literally hours last night finding the nether fortress, exploring it, digging a safe tunnel from my nether portal base TO the nether fortress, and starting a huge nether wart farm back at my portal. It was a good (and fun) night. Alchemy is interesting. I made a few potions of swiftness, the long duration ones, wow are they useful. I will most certainly be using these a hell of a lot when I go out exploring the countryside or traveling. I've finally found a use for all of that redstone and sugarcane!

The OCD part of me wants to dig out that entire nether fortress from under that mountain of netherrack though...

Quick question about sheep breeding. I built a series of pens, one for each color. When I feed the sheep sometimes they seem to lock on to a sheep in an adjacent pen (separated by 2 height fence).

Is having fence walls between the cells a problem? Should I replace them with solid (stone/wood/etc) walls?

bengraven

I don't think I'll ever be able to beat the SPOILER at the end. How many arrows does it take to defeat SPOILER?

I just have little interest in farming blaze rods and Ender eyes as is.

Quick question about sheep breeding. I built a series of pens, one for each color. When I feed the sheep sometimes they seem to lock on to a sheep in an adjacent pen (separated by 2 height fence).

Is having fence walls between the cells a problem? Should I replace them with solid (stone/wood/etc) walls?

Double fence.

Mengy

The spoiler warning is appreciated Mengy. Thanks :)

No problem. I had such a feeling of wonder and exploration last night because I hadn't really spoiled myself about the new nether stuff before. And as I was going to post pics with my post, I realized that maybe some thread readers might be in the same boat. I wouldn't want to rob anyone of the experience I had.

A friend of my boss' popped in twice this week to use our sublimation printer to print some mousepads. Apparently he's selling Minecraft mousepads on eBay.

"I don't even know what the fuck minequest is but its one of the best decisions I've made this weekend.", he says, in reference to selling the mousepads.

Boy do I feel sorry for the schlubs buying these things. Looks like he's just grabbing images from Google Images with no care for image quality or resolution.

Mengy

A friend of my boss' popped in twice this week to use our sublimation printer to print some mousepads. Apparently he's selling Minecraft mousepads on eBay.

"I don't even know what the fuck minequest is but its one of the best decisions I've made this weekend.", he says, in reference to selling the mousepads.

Boy do I feel sorry for the schlubs buying these things. Looks like he's just grabbing images from Google Images with no care for image quality or resolution.

Is that even legal? For him to sell Minecraft merchandise on his own, without permission or such from Mojang?

Is that even legal? For him to sell Minecraft merchandise on his own, without permission or such from Mojang?

I'm sure it's not, but he and my employer don't really give a shit about that kind of thing, considering the amount of Saints merchandise we have out front.

Jasoco

Banned
I'm sure it's not, but he and my employer don't really give a shit about that kind of thing, considering the amount of Saints merchandise we have out front.

What kind of business is this? If I were you I'd anonymously let Mojang know using means completely cut off from work so they can't know it was you. Just don't tell them you know what they're doing is illegal else they'd figure out who told.

Thank you for sharing the seed, but would it be possible to get the coordinates of the village too? because everyone spawns different. At least i can't find the village :/

Weird, I didn't know the spawn was randomized. I wonder how it determines that because I've generated that world from the seed three times and each time I've started in exactly the same spot facing the same direction, being pushed around by cows from the first instant.

Anyway, the village is at:
X: -300
Y: 70

Mengy

Weird, I didn't know the spawn was randomized. I wonder how it determines that because I've generated that world from the seed three times and each time I've started in exactly the same spot facing the same direction, being pushed around by cows from the first instant.

Not all seeds are random. The game always attempts to spawn you on a block of sand at 0,0. If there isn't a block of sand there then it randomizes the spawn point. That's why some seeds have a consistent spawn point while other seeds have a random one.

Juravsky

If any one is interested the Android version of Minecraft can be bought for 10cents or 10 pence depending on your location. This is a special deal to celebrate the Android markets 10 billionth download or something :-

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mojang.minecraftpe&feature=apps_timed_promotion#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLG51bGwsImNvbS5tb2phbmcubWluZWNyYWZ0cGUiXQ..

I want it and it's available on my location but market won't let buy it because I still don't have a compatible device (crappy zte blade) :(

Bakphoon

Not all seeds are random. The game always attempts to spawn you on a block of sand at 0,0. If there isn't a block of sand there then it randomizes the spawn point. That's why some seeds have a consistent spawn point while other seeds have a random one.

Thank you, i found another village at x -255 , y 69, z -473 though.

Edit: oops, it's the same village.

Ranger X

what a wierd rule... how did you know that anyways? Oo

You get some back if you return to your death site quick enough. I've gotten back in time to recover it all a few times.

Oh right, is it in the form of experience orbs? I got back in time but didn't get any XP back, so I'm guessing mine went over the side of the fortress walkway I was on when I died, along with some of my gear.

bengraven

What kind of business is this? If I were you I'd anonymously let Mojang know using means completely cut off from work so they can't know it was you. Just don't tell them you know what they're doing is illegal else they'd figure out who told.

I think he's hinting that his company prints bootleg shit, period, though maybe I read him wrong.

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't really like the enchanting at first, considering how random it seemed to be, but I think I like it now. It really doesn't take that long to grind exp to enchant other items. Though, like Mengy, I basically made a little kill room in the nether where I fight blazes. The exp adds up kind of quick and you get a ton of blaze rods.

I just really need a more consistent way of finding slimes because I'm running out of flame resistance potions. I made like 40 of them haha. I love running around the Nether with almost no risk since fire does nothing to me. Great for building structures in there too. I'll probably make a much more elaborate Nether home soon.

Ranger X

I didn't really like the enchanting at first, considering how random it seemed to be, but I think I like it now. It really doesn't take that long to grind exp to enchant other items. Though, like Mengy, I basically made a little kill room in the nether where I fight blazes. The exp adds up kind of quick and you get a ton of blaze rods.

I just really need a more consistent way of finding slimes because I'm running out of flame resistance potions. I made like 40 of them haha. I love running around the Nether with almost no risk since fire does nothing to me. Great for building structures in there too. I'll probably make a much more elaborate Nether home soon.

So, Ghasts can't damage you when you are under that fire protection?

Grinchy

Banned
So, Ghasts can't damage you when you are under that fire protection?

Nope :)

The only thing you have to really worry about is the pig dudes and they are easy. And maybe the Nether slime mob (not sure what it's called) but I've never actually been hit by one so I'm not sure.

edit: wow, I had no idea you could create an eye of ender and use it to find the nearest stronghold. That would have saved me hours of searching randomly through the nether lol. Oh well, maybe i'll find another stronghold with it

celebi23

So, I beat The End in Creative (only have 2 Ender Pearls in Survival). Huh, that part before the credits was kinda interesting. For NeoCraft, if you guys want, I can donate my massive amount of Ender Pearls (I have at least 40 of them) for finding/activating the End portal. Can't remember what else you need to make Ender Eyes though.

I don't think I'll ever be able to beat the SPOILER at the end. How many arrows does it take to defeat SPOILER?

I just have little interest in farming blaze rods and Ender eyes as is.

Double fence.

Argh, I spent a lot of time building this thing to house my sheep, it's going to be a ton of work lengthening the bldg/destroying the old pens.

If I switch the single fence to a single width cobblestone wall will that solve my problems?

So, I beat The End in Creative (only have 2 Ender Pearls in Survival). Huh, that part before the credits was kinda interesting. For NeoCraft, if you guys want, I can donate my massive amount of Ender Pearls (I have at least 40 of them) for finding/activating the End portal. Can't remember what else you need to make Ender Eyes though.

I think you use blaze rods...I haven't played 1.0 myself yet so I'm just guessing.

Mengy

wow, I had no idea you could create an eye of ender and use it to find the nearest stronghold. That would have saved me hours of searching randomly through the nether lol. Oh well, maybe i'll find another stronghold with it

If I remember correctly, the eye of enders are used to find the underground strongholds in the normal world, not the nether fortrresses in the nether. In other words, you can use the eye of enders to find where a portal to The End is located. At least, I think that's how it works. I'm having a HELL of a time collecting ender orbs in my new 1.0 world. Half of the time when I actually find an enderman and attack it, they just teleport away never to be seen again. Sneaky cowardly little buggers

notch Markus Persson
I'd love for us to have Minecraft on Steam, and I'm sure they'd love having us! Unfortunately, our business plans are a bit incompatible.

notch Markus Persson
Honestly, I don't remember exactly what it was. It was not money. We've been talking to them, but things kinda just ran out in the sand.

notch Markus Persson
It was something about us wanting to own the user experience more or something.. Huhm. Hey, @steam_games, we should talk again!

Looks like that exclusive TF2 hat might have swayed Notch. Valve = Evil Geniuses.

Mengy

Looks like that exclusive TF2 hat might have swayed Notch. Valve = Evil Geniuses.

So, what is the big deal about Minecraft being on steam? I mean, I like the way it's working just the way it is now. Mojang doesn't seem to need steam for distribution, they have sold millions of copies on their own. Not being on steam allows Notch and Jeb to do prereleases to give us sneak previews and to allow us to help them debug the game. If I understand it correctly that wouldn't be allowed with a steam game. So what advantage is there to Minecraft being on steam? What would we, as gamers, gain from it?

So, what is the big deal about Minecraft being on steam? I mean, I like the way it's working just the way it is now.

I don't know how they'll handle it, but I'd imagine it'll continue to work "just the way it is now" if you already own the game. I'm pretty sure you won't be forced to use Steam.

Mojang doesn't seem to need steam for distribution, they have sold millions of copies on their own.

True, but I'm sure there are many untapped wallets on Steam.

Not being on steam allows Notch and Jeb to do prereleases to give us sneak previews and to allow us to help them debug the game. If I understand it correctly that wouldn't be allowed with a steam game.

They can do that on Steam if they want to.

So what advantage is there to Minecraft being on steam? What would we, as gamers, gain from it?

Other than having the option of buying it on Steam - don't know!

Top Bottom