• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

bengraven

Make it look like there's progress.

Notch said he wanted them in the game for years, but then admitted he didn't want them to have any dialogue or anything. Just stand there. Apparently it was Jeb who wanted them to actually DO something and Notch was like "eehhhhhhh".

Notch said he wanted them in the game for years, but then admitted he didn't want them to have any dialogue or anything. Just stand there. Apparently it was Jeb who wanted them to actually DO something and Notch was like "eehhhhhhh".

It's a luck that now Jeb is the lead creative of Minecraft.

Ranger X

I would honestly prefer some combination of the two ideas.

NPCs wouldn't talk in order to keep that eerie feeling it creates in the villages but you would be able to help them with something, do some "mission" for them.

I'm having a HELL of a time collecting ender orbs in my new 1.0 world. Half of the time when I actually find an enderman and attack it, they just teleport away never to be seen again. Sneaky cowardly little buggers

Keep a pumpkin your inventory and put it on your head when you want to kill an Endermen. They won't recognise you and you will kill them no sweat. They won't teleport away.

Tambini

Hey guys, I'm a minecraft noob but I joined my friends server and I'm unable to craft anyway. Trying to drag items to the 4 boxes just instantly switches it to my hands or inventory.

Any ideas?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Hey guys, I'm a minecraft noob but I joined my friends server and I'm unable to craft anyway. Trying to drag items to the 4 boxes just instantly switches it to my hands or inventory.

Any ideas?

Maybe they have some plugin to restrict newbies until they're approved?

Grinchy

Banned
If I remember correctly, the eye of enders are used to find the underground strongholds in the normal world, not the nether fortrresses in the nether. In other words, you can use the eye of enders to find where a portal to The End is located. At least, I think that's how it works. I'm having a HELL of a time collecting ender orbs in my new 1.0 world. Half of the time when I actually find an enderman and attack it, they just teleport away never to be seen again. Sneaky cowardly little buggers

Yep, you are correct. I read it wrong in the wiki. When it said it found strongholds, I thought it just meant that in general. I took an eye with me to the Nether and couldn't even throw it. I still need to find a stronghold in the regular world though, so I should do that soon.

I have played my new world for like 30+ hours, and I have like 6 ender pearls. I haven't really gone out looking for them on purpose, but I just don't see a ton of endermen around. I don't want to start looking for the ender portal until I have a bunch of eyes, in case they break a long the way.
Keep a pumpkin your inventory and put it on your head when you want to kill an Endermen. They won't recognise you and you will kill them no sweat. They won't teleport away.
lol what! I had no idea. I'm going to check this out. I've been just using a strength potion and my enchanted diamond sword to kill them quickly when I find them.

Koomaster

I don't want to start looking for the ender portal until I have a bunch of eyes, in case they break a long the way.
Yeah you'll really want a lot of them, sometimes they will last half a dozen or more throws, other times they break after a single throw.

Ranger X

VICTORY!!

I finally farm Endermen. It's been like a week I wanted to test if some fall damage mob grinders would actually collect Endermen. It works like a charm. They do fall for the "sign trick" and I collected 2 pearls yet.

I really am not done constructing the mob grinder now. I have only like 4 spawn floor so it would take forever to get a stack of pearls but I will continue to build it to reach at least floors.

How long is the recommended Bukkit build going to take? It's been weeks since the release of Vanilla :(

I have to confess I didn't expect it to take this long for them to get Bukkit updated. It probably doesn't help that Jeb and Co keep releasing weekly updates of Minecraft. I am just wondering what would we lose if we just went ahead and did vanilla 1.0 for now and added Bukkit later ?

Now on another note :-

Hjgia.jpg

This is a mega duper uber important announcement for residents of Dome City, specifically residents of the Alpha dome. It has come to our attention that several huge cracks have appeared in the pedestal of the Alpha dome, these cracks are large enough for a child's head to fit in. We don't know why you would want to fit a child's head in there but hey whatever floats your boat. Personally I have better things to do with my day than cram the heads of children into structural faults.

Our Chief Engineer Professor Crazylegzlu has tracked the source of the cracks to a new Disney castle build just west of Dome City. The City Administration naturally pulled a Microsoft and sent a cease and desist letter to the builder of the Disney Castle to which we received this reply :-

Disney Castle Lawyers said:
Ya having a a laugh aint ya, come and have a go if you think you are hard enough matey. Oh and you are damn lucky we aint suing you for breach of copyright those domes look suspiciously like the Epcot Dome

With all legal recourse shut off Dome City Administraton did the next best thing and we nicked all of Xun's cobblestone.

Now with regards to the structural damage to the Alpha Dome our chief Engineer Professor CrazyLegzlu had this to say :-

Prof CrazyLegzlu said:
After serious evaluation and extensive testing the Alpha Dome has not been compromised and is 100% safe. There is no danger to residents whatsoever. The pedestal will NOT collapse ...... honest it won't. The only way the pedestal could collapse is if everyone went and stood on one side of it. Well if you are stupid enough to do that then you deserve it

So there you go, don't fart in a certain way and the Alpha dome will be fine. I would like to stress that Prof Crazylegzlu is an authoritative in dome management and the fact he dresses up as Link from Zelda should not be a reflection of his intelligence.

I would also like to state that at no point was he blackmailed into saying these things after these pictures were discovered :-

rUo0v.png

Prof CrazyLegzlu doing something strange with a cow in a Jacuzzi

kbZxB.png

Prof Crazylegzlu doing unusual things to a squid, the RSPCA was involved.

I should stress we believe in personal privacy and would never make these pictures public (large prints of these pictures can be found at Dome City Souvenirs).

Now earlier this month our extensive big brother security system caught this conversation :-

Little Ginny - Mam I can barely move around here it is so cramped.
Mother - Oh do shut up or I will cram your head into one of the structural cracks in the dome. You whinge and cry more than your dead brother.
Little Ginny - wait, what ? Timmy is dead ????? how ? when ?

Later that evening :-

Mother - oh Gerald life in the Dome is wonderful but there just isn't enough space,
Gerald - for god sake woman shut up and make me a sandwich. I am skin and bones here and I have bed sores on my arse. What do I have to do to get you to make me a bloody sandwich.

Well Dome City residents you spoke and we tried to ignore you but you just went on and on and on about it. It is my pleasure to announce the opening of the Bravo living dome. This dome is like no other dome ever built. A structure with 12 pedestals and a surface area of 31,000 blocks. The structure contains 100,000 blocks of cobblestone and 45,000 glass blocks. All designed to keep you safe and dry from the harsh reality of the Neocraft server.

The dome is split into 12 plots of 50 x 50 and come with their own personal 6 - 8 floor pedestal so you can have your own S&M dungeon in which to do bizarre things with squids and hamsters. As always first come first serve, 6 plots have already been taken so hurry hurry hurry.

8ISIG.png

The last of 45,000 glass blocks put into place by Prof Crazylegzlu who took time out from various cow and squid shenanigans.

uUfVh.png

The full awesomeness of having no life

EOTcK.png

Enjoy the view from the observation sphere that somehow defies gravity

71HGy.png

Now with a fully integrated transport system. If you can't walk because we broke your legs after you didn't pay your rent then no problem use the minecarts.

3eZGB.png

Yes even Commander Jane Shepard was impressed

Later that evening in bed :-

Mother - Oh Gerald life in the Bravo dome is so wonderful now, there is so much space. I can swing little Ginny around the room by her hair now.
Gerald - urgh, what ? what ? Oh not tonight Sebastian I have haemorrhoids.
Mother - WHO THE BLOODY HELL IS SEBASTIAN

Yes the Bravo Living Mega dome, the dome to end all domes. There will never be another dome like this. This is the last dome I swear.

COMING SOON : The Dome City Amusement Park (yes another bloody dome so I lied).

TL;DR - New dome built, it looks kinda cool if you want in grab a sign and stake a claim.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Damn, looks like Neocraft has been busy! I'm getting tired of waiting for bukkit to go to 1.0, I may have to look into downgrading my Minecraft so I can get back onto Neocraft. It's been too long since I've been on the server.

Your dome city looks outstanding, Charming. That living dome is the shit! So much I want to do on the server yet...

Yeah you'll really want a lot of them, sometimes they will last half a dozen or more throws, other times they break after a single throw.

Yup. Found my first and third strongholds using just one eye each, but I went through 7 eyes before locating the second one. Didn't help that the damn thing was under an ocean.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yup. The pearls teleport you when thrown, while the eyes float in the direction of the nearest stronghold.

I really need to gather ender pearls on my new world. I think tonight it's time I start work on my mob grinder. My 1.0 world has lots of ocean, my plan is to make a mob grinder tower out in the water, from sky to almost bedrock. Hopefully having it out in the ocean will really increase the mob spawn rate. I'm going to kill mobs both by fall damage and by a lava knife that I can turn off to allow me to grind XP. Lots and lots of spawn floors. Should be quite the fun project. Hell, building the tunnel from my island out deep along the bottom of the ocean to the grinder should be fun in itself.

Chuckpebble

This game. I built a portal that landed me under a lava lake. This is a hardcore world mind you. So I carefully dug up until I got to the dripping netherrack and used a pressure plate and a piston to push a 4x4 column of netherrack up through the lava as far as it would go. Next I dug a spiral stairway through the center to reach the surface. Felt like some modern marvels shit right there.

-SD-

Banned
On and off during the past 6 months I've been building a 129-block-wide hollow silo that is going to eventually reach from the top to the bedrock. For the bottom part I'll set up some farms, trees etc. and a 3-block-wide stream of water going through the middle of it.

The inner sphere is 127 blocks wide and each layer has 12,816 blocks. I've guestimated that I have now mined and shoveled out around 300,000 blocks: the huge mountain inside and a few full layers beneath it. 53 layers still remain. That totals up to 679,248 blocks so, lots of work ahead.

I've mostly used stone tools and iron tools whenever I've scored some iron ore, but very rarely diamond pickaxes that I've gotten out of my other projects and cave trips. This project will be finished faster towards the end because of higher density of iron and the diamond belt.

This is a 100% legit project. I play on hard difficulty setting and use no mods.

Here's an old progress report page where you can see my other projects: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26817/Minecraft/minecraft.html

World render: http://www.abload.de/img/minecraft_world1_2011r3onw.png

Timelapse of the progression so far

minecraft_127_blocks_ugylx.gif

How it looks from inside

How it looks from outside

Construction of the walls

Walls done

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Quick question I am a bit confused, can endermen teleport through one block thick walls and into my house? if so how do I stop this?

Hop

Quick question I am a bit confused, can endermen teleport through one block thick walls and into my house? if so how do I stop this?

Yes.

Your only universal defense is to make your livable area 2 blocks high. Endermen are 3 blocks tall and thus can't teleport in.

If you can sleep in a bed, they won't come at you at all, since nothing "happens" while you sleep and by the time you wake up it's light enough that they teleport away instead of teleporting to another location.

But, if you don't aggro them and don't build out of these materials, you shouldn't really see a problem from them.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Yes.

Your only universal defense is to make your livable area 2 blocks high. Endermen are 3 blocks tall and thus can't teleport in.

If you can sleep in a bed, they won't come at you at all, since nothing "happens" while you sleep and by the time you wake up it's light enough that they teleport away instead of teleporting to another location.

But, if you don't aggro them and don't build out of these materials, you shouldn't really see a problem from them.

Okay thanks, would making my walls thicker help at all (like 3 thick)? and also and I swear last question, can they teleport vertically up too?

Hop

Okay thanks, would making my walls thicker help at all (like 3 thick)? and also and I swear last question, can they teleport vertically up too?

Nope and yep. Vertically down too, for that matter.

But for the most part, you don't have to worry about them. They're rare, they're neutral by default, and if you sleep overnight they won't show up anyway. I don't think they even show up naturally in caves.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Nope and yep. Vertically down too, for that matter.

But for the most part, you don't have to worry about them. They're rare, they're neutral by default, and if you sleep overnight they won't show up anyway. I don't think they even show up naturally in caves.

Okay thanks again man

Grinchy

Banned
On and off during the past 6 months I've been building a 129-block-wide hollow silo that is going to eventually reach from the top to the bedrock. *snip*

My god...don't know what to say other than that is insane and you are insane. And nice work!

Dome City looks awesome too.

Since everyone is sharing their progress on their big projects, I thought I'd throw in my contribution. This is the current state of my giant walled city.

Here's a link to the Cartograph of my map. It's far to big to embed here. http://min.us/mbcRPjPcAR

Here is a shot of the front wall and gate, the section I'm currently working on
jfLI2kKPWKdTj.jpg

-SD-

Banned
Since everyone is sharing their progress on their big projects, I thought I'd throw in my contribution. This is the current state of my giant walled city.

Here's a link to the Cartograph of my map. It's far to big to embed here. http://min.us/mbcRPjPcAR

Here is a shot of the front wall and gate, the section I'm currently working on
jfLI2kKPWKdTj.jpg
Dimension, man... DIMENSIONS! :D

Give me some stats, stat!

Also: is that a legit build?

Salaadin

Anyone ever get that "server responded with an invalid server key" message? I host a server for me and a small group of friends and we all get it but I cant seem to fix it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ive built my first monster trap/xp farm!

bTnel.png

its very modest compared to the other things on this page though.

are their any rules of spawner-less monster farms that i should have known about before building it? >_>

also, any reason i cant expand it by adding levels upward?

Anyone ever get that "server responded with an invalid server key" message? I host a server for me and a small group of friends and we all get it but I cant seem to fix it.

I have never run a server myself but I did see a reddit post the other day that stated that error was fixed in 1.0.1. So you might need to update your server jar from 1.0 to 1.0.1.

Dimension, man... DIMENSIONS! :D

Give me some stats, stat!

Also: is that a legit build?

Not sure what legit build means. Did I mine it? No, it's in creative mode.

Also, I think it's 28 chunks long by 20 chunks wide. The flat land is at sea level. The lower part of the walls are solid cobblestone all the way through, and the upper levels are just long hallways.

My long term plan is to fill about 3/4 of it with a town. Houses, shops, a park, a church. Stuff like that. The last bit will be a large castle for me to rule from.

I hate to be a nagging ninny but is there any chance we could have an updated snapshot of the map ? It has been quite a while since the server map was updated and a lot of things have been built so it would be cool to see the new stuff on the server map snapshot.

I hate to be a nagging ninny but is there any chance we could have an updated snapshot of the map ? It has been quite a while since the server map was updated and a lot of things have been built so it would be cool to see the new stuff on the server map snapshot.

It's been at least 2 months since it has been updated. A lot has changed in the land of Neocraft. Awesome Dome post btw. ;-)

Ranger X

ive built my first monster trap/xp farm!

bTnel.png

its very modest compared to the other things on this page though.

are their any rules of spawner-less monster farms that i should have known about before building it? >_>

also, any reason i cant expand it by adding levels upward?

I dunno which "rules" you want to know but here's some I figured out by experience:

- Place must be dark (duh)
- To spawn a full mob party you need at least a space of 8x8 blocks
- Mobs are jumping 1 block high and for water current, you need them 2 block deep (second block deep is the water)
- There's a max number of mobs per chunk so clean the caves in your surroundings and under you so mobs are only spawning in your farm.
- Endermen are teleporting when touching water
- Killing mobs by lava will make you lose around 50% of the loot
- Killing mobs by cactus = you lose around 33%
- Drowning mobs = you get 100% of the loot
- Only fall damage will kill Endermen anyways
- Loot is lasting around 5 mins on the ground before disappearing

And what can't you add levels upward? I'm not sure to understand why you couldn't. Maybe explain to me how is your mob farm built.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ohh, clearing out the caves is a good idea.

the 'rules' i meant was tuff like needing 8x8 platforms, what makes monsters spawn/despawn, how high i could make it before i start losing monsters to fall damage, etc.

the fall damage is what worries me about building up because im more interested in xp than items atm. the farm is verrrrry basic, just a big square with 4 8x8 platforms in the corner separated by 2wide water channels leading to the collection area. there's no real room for waterways traversing levels so building up would just be adding a layer and knocking out the blocks above the water channels.

Ranger X

ohh, clearing out the caves is a good idea.

the 'rules' i meant was tuff like needing 8x8 platforms, what makes monsters spawn/despawn, how high i could make it before i start losing monsters to fall damage, etc.

the fall damage is what worries me about building up because im more interested in xp than items atm. the farm is verrrrry basic, just a big square with 4 8x8 platforms in the corner separated by 2wide water channels leading to the collection area. there's no real room for waterways traversing levels so building up would just be adding a layer and knocking out the blocks above the water channels.

If you want XP, you need to kill them yourself so just bring them with the water into some 4x4 room and leave yourself a hole to slash them at their feet with your sword.
Don't make the hole with a line of sigh on the canal bringing the mobs in because a creeper maybe can see you in the distance and blow everything up. (happened to me before haha).

As for the spawning floors, you can make another floor with canals no? Oh and, according your image there, you don't have canals all around your spawning floors. You shouls have them because it gives 2 more sides for the mobs to fall. Warming up this type of mob grinder is a bit long and you will dramatically increase its speed by doing so.

Thanks for updating the map Toki1776 it was a nice surprise to wake up too and it is appreciated believe me. I have to admit even I am going "WTF" at Dome City and I built it :-

7o1sK.jpg

Just looking at that picture makes me want to build more .......... I really really really need psychiatric help.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Why's there no server address in the OT?

edit: Oh, I see, griefers. Any kind soul sending me a PM? I'd like to see what you've done and maybe join if I can force myself to more minecrafting :>

edit again: Duh, thanks :D

Glad you like it Ark, not run out of ideas yet though. The Bravo living dome is probably the last "living" dome next up will be some cool themed domes.

Why's there no server address in the OT?

edit: Oh, I see, griefers. Any kind soul sending me a PM? I'd like to see what you've done and maybe join if I can force myself to more minecrafting :>

You need to quote Brazil's post (ie the 2nd post on the first page of this topic) and that will reveal the server address.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So should I update or not? I tried skipping the update (downloaded just the .exe from mojang), but get a time out. ;_;

edit: Oh, well, seems 1.8.1 isn't available anymore, at least not legally. I'll wait for GAF to update, then :/

Top Bottom