• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Btw, is there a way to add markers to the map by hand?
I would not mind mapping some of the things on the map.

Kalnos

Banned
I'm building a server for code version control and file sharing between me and another coder or two, but I think I might also host an alternative Minecraft server, if there is any interest.

Jhriad

Suikoguy said:
Btw, is there a way to add markers to the map by hand?
I would not mind mapping some of the things on the map.

You'd want to talk to Krovan about it. I'm not aware of a way to add things yourself but he could probably add signs or other things.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Can anybody identify the texture pack in these screens for me?

asEXk.jpg

All of the other cel shaded packs I've found have the black borders on top of the grass, snow, dirt, etc. I like the cleaner look of this one.

bengraven

Totally building my old Deadwood tavern on the medieval area.

Recreating my tower a bit when I get back on in the Modern City, which needs a name.

Like Exanopolis or something.

Mikor

animlboogy said:
The idea at first was that there would be no mods, and griefing would be a real possibility, much like creepers take your stuff out in single player. That sort of changed as GAF got involved, and starting doing work they really cared about. So there will be anti-grief measures now. But there is a distinct reason why the server didn't have it before, with the community we had before.

Understood. I'm sorry if what I said came across as an attack or a dig against Assland, it really wasn't meant to be that way at all.

Monroeski said:

*awesome cel shaded images*

All of the other cel shaded packs I've found have the black borders on top of the grass, snow, dirt, etc. I like the cleaner look of this one.

Seconded! If someone can ID this, as long as its current I'll definetly be using it. Cel shaded look is perfect for MC, in my opinion.

Toki1776

Monroeski said:

Not quite sure what the texture pack is, but it definitely seems to be using this GLSL shader mod, and a community shader made by Yourself, which can be found here.

Here's a sample I took with the Painterly pack:
http://i.imgur.com/tYSyK.jpg

Edit:
And these are with Mixcraft HD:
http://i.imgur.com/SiWLj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Fy7Fb.png

Second edit:

Found it! It's called Minecraft 4 Kids. It does use the GLSL mod, and is available in 128x128 and 64x64 versions.

One more pic:
d0HG1.jpg

barnone

Can anyone recommend a good server provider? I will only need around 10 slots or less. I was looking at Xenon servers (who only offer 20 slots apparently) and Multiplay. Anyone have advice on this subject?

Blizzard

Banned
Notch doesn't seem to have posted anything about Minecraft in a week on his journal, and in months (or at least, a few hours) on Twitter. Maybe he's giving up the game for good and retiring to become a Starcraft/Nintendo/videogame playing person. Q_Q

Jasoco

Banned
Blizzard said:
Notch doesn't seem to have posted anything about Minecraft in a week on his journal, and in months (or at least, a few hours) on Twitter. Maybe he's giving up the game for good and retiring to become a Starcraft/Nintendo/videogame playing person. Q_Q
Notch has people working on the game. He's not a lone programmer anymore. He has a whole company. And a second game in the works.

Minecraft != ∞ (everything)

Qwomo

Jasoco said:
Notch has people working on the game. He's not a lone programmer anymore. He has a whole company. And a second game in the works.

Minecraft != ∞ (everything)
Unfortunately their upcoming game looks abysmal.

Alas!

Jasoco

Banned
Qwomo said:
Unfortunately their upcoming game looks abysmal.

Alas!
I don't care about their next game. I just know that there are people working on MC. Plus, we still have wolfies to look forward to.

Well, this next upgrade seems to be a big one. Wolves + archievements + change spawnpoint, at least.

I'm really waiting for the archievements. Right now I don't know what else to do (not a big fan of making great and amazing castles) and archievements can give me some long-term goals.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't really follow the announcements very well, so I had no idea the achievements were something that was actually coming soon. That could be...interesting.

It's odd how I can't wait for updates in this game, yet at the same time I always worry that updates will violate the charm of the game. It seems like he's been able to keep that from happening so far, though.

Setting your own spawn point will be welcome, although it seems to take out some of the difficulty.

Grinchy said:
I don't really follow the announcements very well, so I had no idea the achievements were something that was actually coming soon. That could be...interesting.

It's odd how I can't wait for updates in this game, yet at the same time I always worry that updates will violate the charm of the game. It seems like he's been able to keep that from happening so far, though.

Setting your own spawn point will be welcome, although it seems to take out some of the difficulty.

Not really. The spawn issue is bullshit because if you wander around and you build a big castle, and then you decide to go spelunking and die, your "logical" spawn point should be your castle (that maybe is 2 days away from your spawn point, because there was not any interesting place nearer), not a random spot that forces you to go to your castle and, then, again to the dungeon.

Yes, you can abuse of this having a bed and spawning again always near your last death (even if you need to sleep, that you can't do always), but it forces you to create a save zone everytime, and is probably not worthy.

About the archievements, is great that Notch said that it won't be things like "mine 50000 blocks", and more similar to "jump a cliff riding a pig". I'm interesting in seeing how will be those archievements and how Notch will control that you fulfill the conditions.

Grinchy

Banned
I guess that's very true. I am one of those people who just kept creating new worlds until I found a spawn point in a cool area, so I guess I've cheated the system as it was anyway. I can totally see how it would suck if you actually ventured out to build.

Also,
Jhriad said:
Are you looking to mine or you looking to explore caves? If you're looking to mine the best mining method IMO is the 2x1x2 method. Essentially make a stairwell down until you get to 13.6 on the height. This will place you in prime diamond territory but one block above most lava pools. Then create shafts all on that 13.6 height like this:

*snip*

This is such an awesome mining strategy. I have found a couple dozen diamonds in very short mining sessions thanks to this.

I can't wait to finish up on my Asscraft house. When it feels more "done" I'm going to do something I haven't done before. I'm going to plan something out, and then build it. I'm not sure what it will be yet but I want to make something recognizable (like a Mcdonalds or a Best Buy or something).

Ranger X

And don't forget that with each patch there can be alot of stuff added that we don't know prior the patch. It happened before, it will happen again.

So I guess that if we get the wolves, the new spawn system and the achievements + whatever other stuff we don't about and most probably new crafting stuff and more variety to existing pieces, it will end up in a great update.

elwes

Finally had some time to get onto Exano's server tonight. MC name is "Vegeta187x" (no, I'm not a fan of DBZ still, it's a REALLY old internet handle that I've used for over 10 years).

Not entirely sure where I set up shop at, but I just found an area that didn't have alot of buildings near it. I'm paranoid about respecting other people's property and space, so I don't want to build anything too close to someone's stuff.

Wool

Grinchy said:
I'm not sure what it will be yet but I want to make something recognizable (like a Mcdonalds or a Best Buy or something).

That's funny, I just started a McDonalds on Exano's Server in this modern city that is being built. We'll have to compare them if you do end up doing that!

Arozay

I've been getting black screens in Minecraft ever since I messed around with mods. I removed all of the AppData files and re-downloaded but I still get black screens randomly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Grinchy said:

you still need a bed.

And I like the idea the more I think about it. It encourages you to wander away from the spawn point and explore more, without worrying too much about finding your way back if you die. Thats not reducing the difficulty so much - more reducing the frustration and trudging

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Grinchy said:
I guess that's very true. I am one of those people who just kept creating new worlds until I found a spawn point in a cool area, so I guess I've cheated the system as it was anyway. I can totally see how it would suck if you actually ventured out to build.

Also,

This is such an awesome mining strategy. I have found a couple dozen diamonds in very short mining sessions thanks to this.

I can't wait to finish up on my Asscraft house. When it feels more "done" I'm going to do something I haven't done before. I'm going to plan something out, and then build it. I'm not sure what it will be yet but I want to make something recognizable (like a Mcdonalds or a Best Buy or something).

My first session trying this method, I was bounded on most sides by open caverns full of lava, and underground waterfalls).

I think I might try one block up, as too many times I had to shore up the floor due to lava being right below me.

didn't get too much good stuff either. Just enough diamond to build a pick, and tons of coal. And some lapis lazuli which seems worthless.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is it odd that every time I watch The Mentalist, and see an exterior shot of CBI headquarters, I get an urge to build it in Minecraft? Something about it just seems to suit the style of building.

3DBME.jpg

Ranger X

Cool but nothing new to learn about the next update.

I hope he will also had variety in what we already have like more different slabs and more stairs. Every material could have those.

bengraven

Calm Killer said:

I know he wants to use the bed as a spawn reset, but I wish he'd add a chair and small table at least. Use the chair to reset spawn points instead, and the table to craft small items like three slot items (bread for example and yes, it's more of a novelty). Once we got basic furniture (bed, chair, table), the game is basically done in my opinion...well outside of the modding support.

Ranger X

bengraven said:
I know he wants to use the bed as a spawn reset, but I wish he'd add a chair and small table at least. Use the chair to reset spawn points instead, and the table to craft small items like three slot items (bread for example and yes, it's more of a novelty). Once we got basic furniture (bed, chair, table), the game is basically done in my opinion...well outside of the modding support.

You can't be serious?
I've never seen any game this open to evolution. You can pretty much always expand a true sandbox game. Minecraft isn't done until it's "real world digital" theorically speaking. The possibilities are quite endless.

acksman

Zaro said:
I've been getting black screens in Minecraft ever since I messed around with mods. I removed all of the AppData files and re-downloaded but I still get black screens randomly.

Same thing with me as well. I loaded up the HQ mod then the Minecraft 4 kids mod.

When I go to the inventory at times other times it is random, the screen will go black.

The error on the console that I use to load the mod is saying out of memory, but looking at my stats on my computer says otherwise.

bengraven said:

As a castle-building platform, maybe, but not as a game. Anti-griefing measures, more gameplay variety for dungeons, enemies and animals, receipts to use the now quite unuseful materials like gold, more receipts, better transport and minecarts, greater incentives in the exploration than a few chests, more farming options, etc. There is still a lot to do left, and the proof is the austonding amount of mods that enhance the game.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Ranger X said:
You can't be serious?
I've never seen any game this open to evolution. You can pretty much always expand a true sandbox game. Minecraft isn't done until it's "real world digital" theorically speaking. The possibilities are quite endless.

This is what interests me about Minecraft, but not for the reasons you'd think.

Minecraft's entire success, as wonderful as it's been, has been predicated on the idea that its customers aren't buying a finished game but an ongoing experiment. The free updates have come for months, providing new materials, biomes, items, crafting recipes, and even an occasional new mechanic like The Nether or fishing. It's what keeps the game fresh, it's what keeps the communities coming back week after week. Everyone wants to know what the next mobs will be, what the new additions to the level generation systems are, what the new treasures they'll be able to find in the deep crevices of the earth.

But Notch has made it clear he doesn't want Minecraft to be his life's work. He's stated openly he has plans to "finish" the game, and likely soon. Mojang has already started deveopment on a second game, and one way or another development on Minecraft will eventually stop. Which makes me worry about what the eventual backlash will be like. It's going to happen, one way or another, and I can't see the updates stopping without half of the Minecraft community screaming bloody murder that the $15 game they've sunk 200 hours into is ripping them off and that Notch is turning his back on the people who made him successful.

Which is particularly concerning because so many other indies are looking to thise business model for inspiration. The ability to release a playable but not quite polished game for cheap in order to build a critical mass of popularity and support has obvious benefits, but I think that we haven't seen a successful example of it yet. Most games just release a buggy, half-finished mess and don't reach that Minecraft-style critical mass, resulting in a project that falls apart shortly after release... or you have Minecraft, which has been wildly successful but is in the unenviable position of having an audience that expects content regularly, for free, and for the foreseeable future.

Jasoco

Banned
He already said he'd develop it until it's unprofitable then opensource it. I'm sure if Mojang stops developing it, it will keep going for years and years thanks to the huge community that already exists.

I can't see any better way. In fact, if Mojang did drop it, it'd probably develop faster than it did when it was closed.

Let's hope it doesn't stop soon. But it will happen eventually. And it'll keep going for years to come. Like The Simpsons.

Giard

Small question, my friend is hosting a SMP server and I would like to give him a mod that removes terrain damage from Creeper explosions. What is it called and how can he install it?
Our spawn point looks like Normandy and we can't fix it, game doesn't want us to build around the spawn point it seems.

r1chard

Jasoco said:
He already said he'd develop it until it's unprofitable then opensource it. I'm sure if Mojang stops developing it, it will keep going for years and years thanks to the huge community that already exists.

I can't see any better way. In fact, if Mojang did drop it, it'd probably develop faster than it did when it was closed.

Let's hope it doesn't stop soon. But it will happen eventually. And it'll keep going for years to come. Like The Simpsons.
Proper modding support is going to go a long way to opening Minecraft up for people to tinker, even if it's not actually open source.

I'm looking forward to trying out some of the mods like the aircraft or airship ones without needing to jump through horrid hoops to get there :)

Jasoco

Banned
r1chard said:
Proper modding support is going to go a long way to opening Minecraft up for people to tinker, even if it's not actually open source.

I'm looking forward to trying out some of the mods like the aircraft or airship ones without needing to jump through horrid hoops to get there :)
Agreed. I really don't feel like fucking around with the code for my game, so I look forward to the drag and drop install of official mods.

bengraven

Ranger X said:
You can't be serious?

Well no, no. He's already adding modding API anyway and I was taking that into consideration.

And by "done" i mean single player. At this point he's going to spend the next year or so fixing multiplayer bugs.

Like someone below said: as a castle building single player game, it would be complete.

Top Bottom