• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

bengraven

I figured out what was wrong. Checked my Environmental Variables in System Properties and noticed a few really strange java entries in both lists. Deleted the java paths, uninstalled all Java, then reinstalled latest and bam. Java finally works on my system and in all browsers.

Played the Minecraft Demo for about 3 hours. ;)

If you're having fun in single player and want to buy the game, come check out a GAF server later on!

It's hard to describe the fun of creating/exploring in a world and knowing that a few "miles" away someone is building a massive castle and village. :)

If you're having fun in single player and want to buy the game, come check out a GAF server later on!

It's hard to describe the fun of creating/exploring in a world and knowing that a few "miles" away someone is building a massive castle and village. :)

Yeah, I'm definitely considering buying it. I might wait a little because I still have a bunch of games leftover from this fall and christmas that I want to get through first including Skyrim. The game is definitely addicting!

Ranger X

Did any of you ever found a huge cave that never mix with a Mineshaft?

Explored a canyon + caves linked to it without falling into a Mineshaft?

Have you guys ever explored a Stronghold that doesn't mix with a Mineshaft?

Mineshafts are making the undergrounds tedious. There's way too many of them. Am I alone thinking this or what? It really, really, really make spelunking repetitive and I am one of those few you could have thought I would never get tired of it.

:((

Yeah, I agree there are way too many mine shafts being generated. Originally I thought they'd be an uncommon experience every now and then like a ravine, but, NOPE! If you ever wander around a freshly generated map with a transparent texture pack on, it's ridiculous.

limlark

SO ARK

When you're resetting the Nether like you promised (<3), can you also trim the strongholds? I've done extensive checking today and it seems all 3 of them were generated before end portals were added. There are no more to find. This makes me sad. We cannot go to the End at all unless something is done. :(

Ark

SO ARK

When you're resetting the Nether like you promised (<3), can you also trim the strongholds? I've done extensive checking today and it seems all 3 of them were generated before end portals were added. There are no more to find. This makes me sad. We cannot go to the End at all unless something is done. :(

I'll do that tomorrow, sorry!

I've no idea about trimming strongholds at all :l You should PM 'Toki' about that, he used to be responsible for all the 'trimming' work that happened on NeoCraft.

Ranger X

I don't really think he can do that. He uses MCEdit right? If you remove some chunk, the seed will regenerate it as it is. Therefore the nether fort will generate again at the same place, identical.

spuit*11

Banned
I don't really think he can do that. He uses MCEdit right? If you remove some chunk, the seed will regenerate it as it is. Therefore the nether fort will generate again at the same place, identical.
If this were still 1.8 his method might work.

But the map seed interpretation has changed from 1.8 to 1.9 and up.

So if you remove those chunks now, you'll get a random chunk back.

Ark

I figured as much, but I guess in that case the only answer would be to reset the map, unless the stronghold would regenerate differently if you wiped those specific chunks.

I swear I'll never understand MCEdit.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I thought they made it so there can be unlimited strongholds on a map with 1.0?

I thought so too, but I found a program (don't remember if it was here or reddit) that shows you all the biomes, along with village and stronghold locations for a given seed. My map only has 3 strongholds. ....could be that the program's out of date, though, I dunno.

limlark

The wiki said there are still only 3 in a world as of 1.0 (which surprised me too, I thought it was unlimited). That's all the information I have to go by...

Ranger X

Anyways, the real problems is that if he indeed found 3 strongholds, it means the current terrain was generated by the new generator (that appeared a little while ago in the 1.0 pre releases). Even if you'd erase those stronghold by Mc Edit, the concerned chunks will regenerate identical to what they were before because it's the same seed. It's not possible to make the Strongholds generate elsewhere unless the WHOLE world is a new seed.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Anyways, the real problems is that if he indeed found 3 strongholds, it means the current terrain was generated by the new generator (that appeared a little while ago in the 1.0 pre releases). Even if you'd erase those stronghold by Mc Edit, the concerned chunks will regenerate identical to what they were before because it's the same seed. It's not possible to make the Strongholds generate elsewhere unless the WHOLE world is a new seed.

everyone back on the boat.

limlark

Anyways, the real problems is that if he indeed found 3 strongholds, it means the current terrain was generated by the new generator (that appeared a little while ago in the 1.0 pre releases).
Not necessarily - the wiki says 1.8 also had 3 strongholds per world.

Even if you'd erase those stronghold by Mc Edit, the concerned chunks will regenerate identical to what they were before because it's the same seed. It's not possible to make the Strongholds generate elsewhere unless the WHOLE world is a new seed.
We don't need them to generate elsewhere, just with portal rooms this time. Or really I guess Ark could just plunk down a ring of eye-holding portal blocks in them and call it a day.

Ranger X

Not necessarily - the wiki says 1.8 also had 3 strongholds per world.

We don't need them to generate elsewhere, just with portal rooms this time. Or really I guess Ark could just plunk down a ring of eye-holding portal blocks in them and call it a day.

Doubled checked and yeah, the new terrain generation with ravines, strongholds, mineshafts, etc. was 1.8.

So yeah, all would renegerate the same except their would be a room with a portal in each Strongholds. (since the Enderworld was added after 1.8 for some reason).

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Doubled checked and yeah, the new terrain generation with ravines, strongholds, mineshafts, etc. was 1.8.

So yeah, all would renegerate the same except their would be a room with a portal in each Strongholds. (since the Enderworld was added after 1.8 for some reason).

Correct. The current Neocraft map is a 1.8 world. Thus, the strongholds generated without the ender portals. However, now that the server is running 1.0, I do believe that if you wiped the chunks with the strongholds and regenerated the chunks, the ender portals should generate. However, map generation was tweaked between 1.8 and 1.0, so the chunks might generate differently. In fact, the strongholds might not even come back in the same locations.

The best way to check this would be to start a new 1.0 world in single player with the Neocraft seed in creative mode and then fly to the areas where the strongholds are on the server and see if they reappear there with ender portals.

bengraven

Ark, when you going to come back anyway? Things are kind of slowing down.

You need to show up and announce a community project.

There's talk of resetting the server again?

Really?

No no no.

Resetting the Nether. The nether is a seperate file and when we regenerated the map last time, the nether never regenerated. It was the same Nether from our first NeoCraft world. So we have to walk across all creation to find nether structures, for example.

The stronghold thing is this: each world has only 3 strongholds. Since we started the new map in 1.8, the three strongholds were already generated and have been explored. The problem: the End portals were not generated until 1.9. So we have strongholds with no End portals so we can't "beat" the game in multiplayer.

So they just want to cut the strongholds and have them regenerated with the portals intact.

Ark

I probably wont return to Minecraft if at all until the summer. College and other things are taking away almost all of my free time.

I'll PM Toki later on about the strongholds, unless anyone here wishes to do the job themselves with MCEdit.

limlark

Alright, I found them and I'm back. Two of them were off by a couple hundred blocks in one direction or another, but they were all basically in the same places in 1.0.

I don't think the server should be reset again...not after the dome's have been built :lol

If a world reset is decided upon can I make a small request ? In the new ark can we have a very long yard arm with enough rope and a tight noose at the end for me to hang myself :p

Ark

&#3232;_&#3232;

bail_out.gif

Ark

I'll actually get it done tomorrow (Saturday). It managed to slip my mind today amongst all the other stuff I've been doing.

legacyzero

Banned
Got to play with Bluebren, Charlie, and a few others all weekend. Got a shit ton accomplished.

I still plan to put together a marketplace where people can take supplies that I deposit. I'm thinking about putting in a box for people to place diamonds to supplement my hard work LOL

If a world reset is decided upon can I make a small request ? In the new ark can we have a very long yard arm with enough rope and a tight noose at the end for me to hang myself :p
considering all that work you put into the domes, yeah, i dont blame you.

Wool

Ark can you give me some basic privileges on the server? I've been on a long Minecraft hiatus, but it's time to get back into it. I've tried logging on but I couldn't place or destroy blocks.

Name is the same in minecraft as on GAF.

Wilsongt

So... Aether mod has been updated for 1.0.0. Loves it!

The only thing is... I can't seem to do anything on MP now. I tried to do airship battles last night and couldn't equip anything.

Baconbitz

Banned
So, I got minecraft PE. I'm confused. Is it possible to join someone's server in minecraft PE? I search on wifi and find no one. Also, is it possible to have someone join my server?

legacyzero

Banned
So, I got minecraft PE. I'm confused. Is it possible to join someone's server in minecraft PE? I search on wifi and find no one. Also, is it possible to have someone join my server?
Minecraft PE??

and there really isn't a server browser. You have to type in the server name and the server IP number and search for it.

I had one rule for myself when I build in Minecraft. Build in odds. And I totally broke that rule with my harvester. Building in evens with it has given me nothing but problems! :(

/rant

Ranger X

I had one rule for myself when I build in Minecraft. Build in odds. And I totally broke that rule with my harvester. Building in evens with it has given me nothing but problems! :(

/rant

I always build in odds too. This gives me a "middle block" for any wall. Perfect for calculations.

Xun

/rant
Ah shit man, I too always build in odds.

I'm sure any problems you've encountered will be easily amended anyway.

macewank

sweet. hadn't been on in a couple of weeks.. popped in, saw someone trolled past the locked door in my hotel by knocking out the wood around it.

stay classy, whomever that was!

Xun

sweet. hadn't been on in a couple of weeks.. popped in, saw someone trolled past the locked door in my hotel by knocking out the wood around it.

stay classy, whomever that was!
Picture of your hotel?

Not a good sign if that's happening.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Picture of your hotel?

Not a good sign if that's happening.

Yep, that kind of stuff happens now and then on Neocraft. We have people digging around locked doors. We have floating trees. We have griefing. We have people harvesting all of the wheat and not replanting it. We have people killing all the animals in farms. We have players who don't respect the rules or other people's creations.

I have one rule that I follow when running around other people's stuff: leave the place the same as or better than I found it. Same as I do when I go hiking outdoors. I'll fix up people's farms as I walk by. I'll close doors that someone else left open. I'll fix up ender damage or damage other players did. It's not like it takes a lot of time or is that big a deal anyway. Plus it helps keep the server looking nice and intact.

Xun

I have one rule that I follow when running around other people's stuff: leave the place the same as or better than I found it. Same as I do when I go hiking outdoors. I'll fix up people's farms as I walk by. I'll close doors that someone else left open. I'll fix up ender damage or damage other players did. It's not like it takes a lot of time or is that big a deal anyway. Plus it helps keep the server looking nice and intact.
Yeah I do this too.

Top Bottom