• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes. eg the walls are 7 wide, rather than 6 or 8. So that when you build the roof, you have a nice one-block wide ridge

oh my

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/mineways-lets-you-export-minecraft-models-for-3d-printing-2012013/

anEM6.jpg

YES

YES YES YES

i will start playing minecraft again if i can get my hands on a 3d printer

god that is so cool O:

Jasoco

Banned
That 3D printed castle town is the best thing I ever saw. And inspires me to build a town like it. I love it. I actually want to play that map.

Jasoco

Banned
It doesn't print textures. The blocks are solid colored beads stuck together. It just interprets different block types as different colors.

I was just about to post about the 3D printer thingie myself. I always wondered if I won the lottery what would I do ? I mean sure I would buy a fast car (and maybe even learn how to drive) and a get a fancy smancy house with electrified fence to keep out the plebs. However now I have a new number 1 thing to do if I win the lottery. Yep if I won the lottery I would print out Dome City (and everything else on Neocraft) on the thing.

Still one day it will be possible for mere mortals to do this. I myself have a colour laser printer that would've cost £10,000 10 years ago.

Good question! I have no idea. Also noticable is that the glass appears to use the same block as the stone building. I dunno much about 3D printer tech, but I'd guess transparency is hard to pull off, so that makes sense.

Jasoco

Banned
Well, they could do glass if they use clear resin. Technically they could render the entire inside of the building too. But it'd be harder, so they only do easy outside parts.

Blizzard

Banned
YES

YES YES YES

i will start playing minecraft again if i can get my hands on a 3d printer

god that is so cool O:
I didn't realize it was a 3D printer. I wasn't sure if it was a crazy model or a crazy camera render effect in a PC program because I was dumb and apparently did not see the link. But in that case...

1. Construct D&D map in Minecraft
2. Print D&D map in 3D
3. (discover map is too small to be playable?)
4. Fun and games!

I didn't realize it was a 3D printer. I wasn't sure if it was a crazy model or a crazy camera render effect in a PC program because I was dumb and apparently did not see the link. But in that case...

1. Construct D&D map in Minecraft
2. Print D&D map in 3D
3. (discover map is too small to be playable?)
4. Fun and games!

You'd just have to have a MASSIVE map.

Jasoco

Banned
Just watched the video at that page and it does look to take a texture pack into account. So that's cool.

Apparently there is no transparency. No hollow areas. And all partial blocks are made into full blocks. This includes stairs, half steps, and other things like flowers, grass and other objects are turned into billboard images or something. Like torches are painted on the wall. I dunno 100%.

http://realtimerendering.com/erich/minecraft/public/mineways/

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
New snapshot update to Minecraft is available from Jeb. Here is a list of changes so far:

-New language translations. We changed from using Google Docs to a new system, so these may still contain a lot of errors or missing texts. Please check the Minecraft forums (language section) for more info.
-Slightly smoothed color transitions between biomes
-Reduced brewing time to 20 seconds
-Decreased randomness of Enchantment Tables
-Changed colors of spawning eggs to more represent the mobs they spawn
-Made biomes slightly more varied (hills in forests and deserts, beaches)
-Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)
-Removed collision box from ladders
-Updated fence gate collision box to align with fences

Also, about the mod API:

We are currently still preparing work for the mod API. The API is going to take some time to implement properly, so we ask for patience :) Also, Jon is currently working on improving the AI for mobs to make it easier for us to add new behaviors. The first goal is to add breeding support to wolves, and then move on to more useful / interesting villagers.

// jeb and Jon

I don't think I'm going to bother updating, from now on I'm sticking to Neocraft's update schedule.

Drazgul

Those 3D prints are just beautiful. Guess they aren't too sturdy; if they were even close to lego durability it'd be a great thing for the kids - let them build something in-game, then print it out and play for real.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
What's a Snapshot? Is it something we can get now or only special people?

It's basically the program, in development, at a given point in time. Jeb figured it was stable enough for public test, so he put it up. You can grab it and use it and all that, but don't be surprised if something in it is wonky or broken. And it might break your existing worlds, who knows.

bengraven

I wonder if that means water will go through ladders or if water will wipe out ladders.

If it's the latter (ha), then there's going to be some awesome QQ moments when people load up their saves.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I wonder if that means water will go through ladders or if water will wipe out ladders.

If it's the latter (ha), then there's going to be some awesome QQ moments when people load up their saves.

>_<

So glad I changed my mob grinder to use signs.

For some reason It won't let me log into the minecraft site and when I try to run the minecraft exe from FOREVER ago it doesn't even connect. I'm 99% sure I am putting in the information correctly and it's even what was saved in the game. Anything goofy happen in the last couple of months?

EVIL

Repost of Isobelise's sky city project idea.
Hey everyone Liz (isobelise) here, I hijacked my husbands account to post my new idea for a big ass project. We'll need as many people to help as we can get, organized that is...
Okay here it is (don't look at my slightly hasty (photoshop crashed) retarded drawing skills)
basically i took many peoples ideas mixed em with my own and voila ^^
Hope you like the idea

BIOGAF CITY

A mad scientist, she must have been. She wanted to lift a mountain, oh... she did it.
Utopia is what the city should be, elevated in the skies with balloons. Rich and poor living together in harmonious luxury. As if! Soon the lots where sold to highest bidders. Biogaf became a utopia allright, for the rich. The poor living beneath it in the dark, cold, wet slums.
The sewers from the city above flowing in their streets.

BIOGAF.jpg

So okay enough story crap, in this project a whole mountain needs to be moved to be a floating island, tricky and tough job :p Basically you'd make two cities with very different rules:

Biogaf City;

- Very restricted lots perfectly mapped city. Apartment complexes may be built. So you can take on a lot project with more people.
- Style will be art-nouveau with a dash of industrial. Needs to ooze luxury
- In the centre of the city wil be a main square/park and cityhall (maybe the new spawnpoint)
- benath the streets sewersystem can be made wit a black market (á la Dalaran, WOW)

Slumville

For the slums rules are easy:
- use many materials at once in your walls to build the house, it needs to looks messy and scrappy
- Lots can be randomly picked for the looks of disorder and have to be connected to a minimum of one road.
- Lots cannot! be bigger then 12x12
- Seeming you'd live in the sewers and there is a quite lively water and pests problem the roads are 4 blocks wide; road, water, water, road or in cramped allies road water road.
well you get the idea.

The whole project is, as I said, based on the ideas of many people from the gaf server, as well as Bioshock infinate and world of warcrafts Dalaran. Let me read on what you peeps think of it!

Kisses Liz

For ideas on how they look in the bioshock game:
http://cdn.inthegame.nl/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/bioshock_infinite_skyline1.jpg

http://admintell.napco.com/ee/images/uploads/gamertell/bioshock_infinite_buildings.jpg

tp://bashers.nl/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/bioshock-infinite.jpg

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/B/BioShock%20Infinite/Bulk%20Viewer/PS3%20360%20PC/2010-08-12/bioshock-infinite-screen-6--article_image.jpg

Lol @ whoever felt the need to jack all my stuff out of my gag chests in my house in DomeCity. Hope those wooden bowls, a book, and leather boots help you in your journeys. :p

Speaking of DomeCity, I think Charles should raffle off claimed spots where no one has built. So many claimed areas, but where's all the buildings? :U

Anywho, I just wanted to say, my mega harvester is nearing completion... Been pushing myself to finish the dang thing lately! Ya'll better use this damn thing!

Ranger X

New snapshot update to Minecraft is available from Jeb. Here is a list of changes so far:

That ladder collision change is scary. I swear someday they will break our fun and make mob grinders and such awesome things impossible to make. Well, that would be the day I stop playing...

EDIT: just saw Treefingers' post. Seems the crisis is averted...

Lol @ whoever felt the need to jack all my stuff out of my gag chests in my house in DomeCity. Hope those wooden bowls, a book, and leather boots help you in your journeys. :p

Speaking of DomeCity, I think Charles should raffle off claimed spots where no one has built. So many claimed areas, but where's all the buildings? :U

Eek people will nick anything if it isn't nailed down it seems. Now as to the sorry state of the Bravo dome, yeah I have lamented over the fact a fair few that claimed plots never bothered to do anything with them. Hell we don't even see most of those that have claimed plots.

So what I am going to do is this. I will give people till the end of January to actually do something with their plots. Any unused plots from January onwards will be reclaimed and either offered up to those actually wanting to do something or alternatively I will build some stuff on them.

legacyzero

Banned

Anywho, I just wanted to say, my mega harvester is nearing completion... Been pushing myself to finish the dang thing lately! Ya'll better use this damn thing!

Bahaha! That's pretty clever. I wonder who did it?

Oh, and I would TOTALLY help out with that project. I've been playing on the service with the main purpose of putting supplies together. Have a TON of stuff, and building. Also finally found a couple of fortresses in the nether too, so i've been bringing back alot of nether brick :)

-SD-

Banned
Made a GIF of what I like to call The Enderman Shuffle. The images were cropped out of six world render images between December 14 and January 7.

minecraft_enderman_shugqen.gif

Top Bottom