• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Xun

Not a bad place, but perhaps just to the left a bit? It'd be nice if the Skyworld was over just the ocean in my opinion.
Ok we've made a small platform for where I think the centre point should be.

Once the map is updated you'll see it.

I have the resources and everything necessary to start a fairly large server that is a bit different from the current neogaf servers available.

The server would be as close to vanilla as possible, with some caveats to stop griefing and general asshatery that can take place. Everything on the map would be built with resources gathered. No spawning of items, ores, or any other tricks to get things. There would be a predefined map that would accommodate different zones and clans/factions, which would allow levels of PVP depending on each player's comfort level. The two zones in the back of the map would be for those that want very little PVP and no possibility of stealing. The forward zones would be warring parties in which they can attack and steal from the enemy across the map only, not each other. There would also be a group which has no friends and can attack both warring parties, along with each other.

Now, stealing would be absolutely allowed for anyone joining the warring parties or the independent group. However, you would not be allowed to destroy buildings and structures. You can only break some blocks to get in, but broken blocks must be replaced. Thus, everyone would still be able to design nice buildings without the worry of them being destroyed, regardless of zone.

A starting zone would be created to ease new players into the game without fear of attacks or theft before they joined one of the parties. The server would be run completely by adults that are helpful, reasonable, and responsible.

Let me know in PM or posts if you guys might be interested in something like this. I think we could go with about 45-50 players to start and easily expand if there was enough demand.

Sounds pretty awesome to me. How would you be able to tell which faction a person is with on sight?

Toki1776

Well, I'm about to make a new map of Neocraft. Also, since I have been unable to stay consistent with the making of these maps, if anybody else would like to take over, please feel free to PM me.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Sounds pretty awesome to me. How would you be able to tell which faction a person is with on sight?

We're working on that issue, but there may be no solution for on site determination. However, you will be able to playerinfo a name and it will detail everything necessary. Also, hitting tab would quickly show you who is online and names would be color coded to represent which clan/faction they belong to.

A point of clarification too, the people choosing to be in the back, thus avoiding having their things stolen and getting less PVP from the sheer fact of being further away on the map, would not be able to steal either. They would be able to PVP if they so choose and if they found someone on the other faction, or in defense of someone attempting to attack (again, should happen rarely for people in the back). No one would be able to break a block placed by the back people, so no breaking to get in even if you've joined one of the groups that can steal. You'd have to find another creative way to enter their area to attack.

I've seen several servers that have PVP with stealing, but then they usually allow griefing to run wild. No one wants to spend time building something nice, just to have some clown come destroy it. However, many people would enjoy the idea of sneaking into someone's home, stealing if they can find the chests, and leaving the home in the same condition as they found it by replacing blocks.

Xun

I'm still trying to find the best location of Skyworld.

Here's where we currently have in mind:

vAs57.png

And here's another place which could serve quite well for it:

si79S.png

It's quite far out from Pioneer, but I think as a location it's potentially better.

Thoughts?

Ashodin

Just wanted to say my server is still looking for more gentle chaps to come and build things on!

We're on the latest release build of the game, 12w01a from the Snapshot releases.

If you want to join up, quote the post and get the IP.

if we see you grief, we will ban. K thx :)

Just wanted to say my server is still looking for more gentle chaps to come and build things on!

We're on the latest release build of the game, 12w01a from the Snapshot releases.

If you want to join up, quote the post and get the IP.

if we see you grief, we will ban. K thx :)

I play on this server, great place to play! Has a good start point with different biomes in each direction.

Barrett2

Think im' gonna finally jump into this. Messing around with the little Android game, I think I need to see the full experience.

Any sales / deals I should know about before buying?

Sanic

I received a "outdated server!" message when trying to join Neocraft for the first time. When will it be updated?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I received a "outdated server!" message when trying to join Neocraft for the first time. When will it be updated?

What version of Minecraft are you running? The Neocraft server is running Minecraft 1.0, the current release version. We do not run "snapshots" on the server, it's too dangerous due to bugs. I was on last night and haven't had any problems at all logging on for weeks now.

kennah

Usually takes a couple weeks for the plug-ins to catch up and the server be updated.

Minecraft really needs to have an 'automatically downgrade to the version of the server you're connecting to' option.

Mengy

Yeah, I guess 1.1 just came out today, which is what i'm running.

Oh, wow, I didn't know or expect that! I guess I'll have to back up my JAR file before logging on tonight so that I can still get onto Neocraft.

Here are the changes for 1.1:

•Bow Enchantments
•Golden Apple recipe
•New language translations.
•Slightly smoothed color transitions between biomes
•Reduced brewing time to 20 seconds
•Added spawner eggs to creative (the colors of the eggs even look like the mobs)
•Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)
•Removed collision box from ladders
•Sheep eat grass and regain their wool
•Plus many bug fixes!

Sheep eat grass to regrow wool, that's awesome, lol!

Some other possible changes, being confirmed on reddit now:

•Fixed double door bug
•Re-added Taiga biomes
•Apples have a 1/200 chance to drop from leaf blocks
•Farmland isn't trampled from walking on it, only by jumping
•Animals don't trample farmland
•Removed bedrock void fog in creative
•Sheep eat grass to regain wool, amount of dropped wool reduced from 2-4 to 1-3
•Added a few new lines to the splash texts
•All discs except "11" can now be dropped by Creepers
•Melons and Pumpkins can grow on dirt
•Decreased randomness of Enchantment Tables (What does this mean?)
•Hills in newly generated forests and deserts - Screenshot ~ via
•Beaches in newly generated terrain! - Screenshots ~ via 1 - 2 - 3
•Updated fence gate collision box to align with fences

Mengy

LOL, someone tweeted Notch asking for a free account because they can't afford it and really did not want to resort to piracy to play the game, and this was Notch's response:

4P8M8.png

That's just classic!!!!

legacyzero

Banned
LOL!!

Notch, you so awesome.

And Xun, I think that second location looks great, I too, though, am concerned about how far away from civilization it is. Hopefully we can get a spawn setup when it's built.

I'm probably gonna be around for the weekend mostly. Gonna be awesome. If we can all agree on a location, i can begin pooling resources and begin building.

Oh, and I'll be donating TODAY, Ark!!
Can I use TNT, now? lol

Xun

LOL!!

Notch, you so awesome.

And Xun, I think that second location looks great, I too, though, am concerned about how far away from civilization it is. Hopefully we can get a spawn setup when it's built.

I'm probably gonna be around for the weekend mostly. Gonna be awesome. If we can all agree on a location, i can begin pooling resources and begin building.

Oh, and I'll be donating TODAY, Ark!!
Can I use TNT, now? lol
We're even considering near the mushroom biome due to the large amount of ocean there.

I just want the map updated first before we start to build.

Also as long as there's a warp to the Skyworld it wont be hard to get to.

Ranger X

•Golden Apple recipe

•New language translations.

•Slightly smoothed color transitions between biomes

•Sheep eat grass and regain their wool

•Fixed double door bug

•Re-added Taiga biomes

•Apples have a 1/200 chance to drop from leaf blocks

•Farmland isn't trampled from walking on it, only by jumping

•Animals don't trample farmland

•Removed bedrock void fog in creative

•Sheep eat grass to regain wool, amount of dropped wool reduced from 2-4 to 1-3

•Melons and Pumpkins can grow on dirt

•Hills in newly generated forests and deserts - Screenshot ~ via

•Beaches in newly generated terrain! - Screenshots ~ via 1 - 2 - 3

•Updated fence gate collision box to align with fences

This is all awesome stuff! damn!

Was wondering if anyone can help with a small performace problem I have with the game. Basically whenever I'm playing, every few seconds I will get a split-second pause, it's minor but it's making it unplayable for me as it becomes too distracting. I've tried making all the graphics settings as low as possible, with no success. I have java updated, and also this is on a brand new world. Can anyone suggest anything?

Ranger X

Was wondering if anyone can help with a small performace problem I have with the game. Basically whenever I'm playing, every few seconds I will get a split-second pause, it's minor but it's making it unplayable for me as it becomes too distracting. I've tried making all the graphics settings as low as possible, with no success. I have java updated, and also this is on a brand new world. Can anyone suggest anything?

Couple of things you might want to check:

- If you play fullscreen on windows, trigger the fullscreen with F11 instead of the window's icon. I personally pass from 43 to 160 fps just by doing that.
- I get the stuttering with some Internet Explorer opened + Windows messenger opened. It sounds to me that dynamic publicity those 2 things receive + the Minecraft online checks and whatnot might not be friends.

I had the same problem. I fixed it by increasing the size of memory that Java is allowed to use..

2FrqW.jpg

Look, Ark, could you have a word with your sister about stealing / griefing shit. Yeah, you probably find this hilarious, but it would be appreciated. Cheers.

789shadow

Banned
Hey Minecraftgaf, I have a serious problem with getting Minecraft to run in a playable manner. I can't have the draw distance set above small, and even then the game reverts to an unplayable FPS very often, especially in caves and when anything is moving around near me. I had to quit my world because I fell so far down into the earth because the game would freeze for like a full 2 seconds while my character kept moving even with no input. Any thoughts? I can give specs for my laptop if needed.

kennah

Hey Minecraftgaf, I have a serious problem with getting Minecraft to run in a playable manner. I can't have the draw distance set above small, and even then the game reverts to an unplayable FPS very often, especially in caves and when anything is moving around near me. I had to quit my world because I fell so far down into the earth because the game would freeze for like a full 2 seconds while my character kept moving even with no input. Any thoughts? I can give specs for my laptop if needed.

Press F11.

Yeah, hilarious.

Not sure what you expect me to do without any context though.

Yeah, you're right - forget it dude, apologies. Was just letting off steam after coming back from a hard day at work to relax on MC to find that road and steps to my house missing, and the remaining hole flooded and signs that your sister had been around there since I last played a day or so ago. She's always stealing stuff and leaving my shit broken in the past, so perhaps I'm just jumping to conclusions. But either way, it's just been a long-ass day, it could have been worse and I should stop being a whiny bitch ;) don't worry about it man, shouldn't have let my tiredness get the better of me.

Mengy

Yeah, you're right - forget it dude, apologies. Was just letting off steam after coming back from a hard day at work to relax on MC to find that road and steps to my house missing, and the remaining hole flooded and signs that your sister had been around there since I last played a day or so ago. She's always stealing stuff and leaving my shit broken in the past, so perhaps I'm just jumping to conclusions. But either way, it's just been a long-ass day, it could have been worse and I should stop being a whiny bitch ;) don't worry about it man, shouldn't have let my tiredness get the better of me.

LOL. That reminds me of the time she was out looking for clay, found someone's house who had a clay floor, and promptly began to dig it up and take it! I knew it was wrong, but man did I laugh out loud that time!

Ark

I do keep telling her not to steal shit, but she doesn't seem to listen. If she keeps it up again, I'll just ban her for a couple of weeks :p

limlark

LOL. That reminds me of the time she was out looking for clay, found someone's house who had a clay floor, and promptly began to dig it up and take it! I knew it was wrong, but man did I laugh out loud that time!
That was me, and even I thought it was funny at some level. The house is made almost entirely out of clay, so when I let her visit for the first time she got extremely excited by it. Of course she said "I wish I had clay..." or something like that. I foolishly said "then get some." Soooooo she did!

WillyFive

Give specs of your laptop, since it seems to be an exaggerated version of my problems, which are a result of weak hardware.

legacyzero

Banned
Edit: Xun I found your platform and have begun to setup shop there. Gonna have a few crates setup there with extra supplies. that we'll need to get started.

For everyone else that would like to take part in the Skyworld Community project, the location is as follows: Over the Ocean East Southeast of New Castle. The red arrow shows the location of the ocean platform.

I found it easily by using "/warp new". it will put you right next to the two sailboats (pictured). It's just a short swim from there.

Toki1776

Oh wow, just took a little look at the map.

Seems somebody went errr exploring.

rLjjw.png

Yup, that render has been working for... oh, around 6 hours, now... It's still not done with the caves, yet...

The render taking so long is the reason I haven't been able to update it till today... sorry everyone for the delay.

Rapstah

I think the clue as to who did it can be found in what he, she or it is trying to make the map look like. Maybe a tripod from War of the Worlds did it? It is consistent with the path going through water as they are tall enough just to walk on the bottom of the sea. Who do we all know who's also a tripod...? Not pointing fingers, just saying there's a goddamn likely suspect here.

EDIT: I should probably get some sleep before I think I'm more funny than I think now. I might hop on the server tomorrow.

Top Bottom