• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

I'm so jealous of people who can make such cool looking castles and shit. Mine are always by-the-numbers looking ordeals. But alas, I love to wile away the hours working on them. I might post a preview of my next super project soon.

-SD-

Banned
I really hope this will happen: https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/statuses/166808028413308928

Jens Bergensten said:
Default world height is likely to be increased in the future

nyxrj.png

Krilekk

Banned
Another 128 blocks up would be nice. If they decide to make it 128-water level-128 that would be pretty annoying. There's already only so much you can do underground. So 64-water level-192 would be really cool.

Yeah, I'd kill for higher mountains. Fuck deeper oceans. (Deeper valleys - sans ocean - would be cool, too. I don't know if it's actually the case, but I feel like there are no valleys that go below water level without being filled in with... water?)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Another 128 blocks up would be nice. If they decide to make it 128-water level-128 that would be pretty annoying. There's already only so much you can do underground. So 64-water level-192 would be really cool.

See I disagree, I love building underground, and some more height down there would be great. At least break it down like sea level is 96 and above ground is 160 blocks (double the current world height). This would increase both sides of sea level but allow a lot more room above ground level. Of course they would have to tweak other things below sea level too, like allow for taller ravines, increase the ore level ranges some, etc. Think of the monster cave networks that a huge underground like that would allow!!!

And deeper oceans would be great, but they need to make the oceans more interesting. Add coral reefs that glow lightly, add underwater plants and resources, add a craftable diving helmet, add a few more fish and sharks that are dangerous. Make the ocean floor not only explorable but worth exploring too.

Xun

OF FUCK YESSSS.

Man, if all that's been showed and mentionned lately is added in the next update, I will definetely have to start a new world again. ("yay!" or "fuck!", I am not sure)
He does say that worlds would just be updated to the new height, but of course if you wanted the new biomes then it'll be worth doing.

bengraven

I saw the height limit thing and had to come in like "hai guyz omg that would rooock lol".

I think they will always do equal parts sky and underground, because lean either way and someone is going to complain. 64 down and 64 up would be fine.

Besides, if you want more height, then just dig out a bigger area and build farther down.

Vlad

Besides, if you want more height, then just dig out a bigger area and build farther down.

Ugh, trust me, that's easier said than done.

I just hope that they eventually fix the issues with Far viewing distance on 32-bit systems. Having a nice tall tower won't really matter if you can't actually see anything from the top of it.

Xun

Ugh, trust me, that's easier said than done.

I just hope that they eventually fix the issues with Far viewing distance on 32-bit systems. Having a nice tall tower won't really matter if you can't actually see anything from the top of it.
The hole that was built for my castle is a testament to that.

Took fucking ages.

Ranger X

I saw the height limit thing and had to come in like "hai guyz omg that would rooock lol".

I think they will always do equal parts sky and underground, because lean either way and someone is going to complain. 64 down and 64 up would be fine.

What I personally care for is how the envirronement will generate. If there's more height, let's say, 128 up 128 down, we are bound to have more epic valleys and better mountains in most biomes. And mountain biomes would become even more epic!

Mengy

TheZeppster
@jeb_ Will it update current worlds and just add 128 blocks more air on top for example, and not completely screw up existing worlds...
7 hours ago

Quote:
in reply to ↑
@jeb_ Jens Bergensten
@TheZeppster Yes

That's settled then.

Interesting. I tad disappointing, as everything below sea level will be the same, but it's an improvement for sure. I see a whole mess of immensely tall towers cropping up on Neocraft soon. Maybe when this is implemented we need to build a Tower City of sorts!

EDIT: I just realized that Jeb's answer could be taken only as how the change will impact current worlds. But I wonder if new worlds will raise the sea level up? Maybe we are getting more blocks below sea level, but only on newly generated maps? Guess we'll have to wait for more info to be sure how it will work...

Ranger X

EDIT: I just realized that Jeb's answer could be taken only as how the change will impact current worlds. But I wonder if new worlds will raise the sea level up? Maybe we are getting more blocks below sea level, but only on newly generated maps? Guess we'll have to wait for more info to be sure how it will work...

Why? it does seem pretty clear to me. He sees about increasing air, not increasing the underground. If you raise the sea level along, you gain underground and not air.
Anyhow, I personally prefer more air for more diverse and epic terrain generation. I can already dig to my heart's content right now.

Vlad

Interesting. I tad disappointing, as everything below sea level will be the same, but it's an improvement for sure. I see a whole mess of immensely tall towers cropping up on Neocraft soon. Maybe when this is implemented we need to build a Tower City of sorts!

If nothing else, it allows for some decent floating islands that aren't of the "large island hovering twenty feet off the ground variety".

-SD-

Banned
WIP GIF of my very large vertically-extended circle-shaped mineshaft, as I like to call it. I play singleplayer Survival on hard difficulty setting. I've now mined and shoveled out around 700,000 blocks of that 127x127 area (height = 122). Still over 300,000 blocks to go. Has taken me months. Diamond pickaxe is like a drop in the ocean in this project.

mineshaft_timelapse_2zxkfh.gif

mcmap version

megatube_timelapse_20bpkw8.gif

WIP GIF of my very large vertically-extended circle-shaped mineshaft, as I like to call it. I play singleplayer Survival on hard difficulty setting. I've now mined and shoveled out around 700,000 blocks of that 127x127 area (height = 122). Still over 300,000 blocks to go. Has taken me months. Diamond pickaxe is like a drop in the ocean in this project.

bOhIk.jpg

What's going in there when you're done?!

Jesus, I remember seeing images of that way earlier in the project, I think. That's impressive. I love doing shit like that. Just digging giants holes.

Mengy

mineshaft_timelapse_2zxkfh.gif

I consider myself pretty much a dwarf when I play Minecraft. I love being underground, exploring caves and ravines, digging, mining, building things under the surface. But that, my God, that is one impressive excavation. I've dug mineshaft sunlight holes, even holes 20x20 before all the way to bedrock, but I've never done anything like that. Are you saving all the dirt and cobble? If so, please post pics of your wharehouse!!!

Raxum

Hey all, just recently got accepted onto the forums here, but I've been following this thread for a while, you guys do some pretty amazing stuff on the GAF server. I'd like to come and check it out sometime, but haven't been able to thus far.

Anyway, have any of you ever made an underground animal farm? Do you know of any advantages/disadvantages it might have? Well aside from the whole having to excavate the whole farm out. Just thought it might be a nice change of pace.

Ranger X

Hey all, just recently got accepted onto the forums here, but I've been following this thread for a while, you guys do some pretty amazing stuff on the GAF server. I'd like to come and check it out sometime, but haven't been able to thus far.

Anyway, have any of you ever made an underground animal farm? Do you know of any advantages/disadvantages it might have? Well aside from the whole having to excavate the whole farm out. Just thought it might be a nice change of pace.

Shouldn't influence a thing. It's just harder to build than a surface farm.

Good luck managing to get animals down there. I tried once, never again.

Raxum

Shouldn't influence a thing. It's just harder to build than a surface farm.

Yeah I figured as much, though don't sheep eat grass to regrow their wool in the next update?
That might hamper things...

Good luck managing to get animals down there. I tried once, never again.

Haha fair enough, that was one of the things that worried me a bit, wanted to make a viable underground base, with maybe only a surface wheat farm. But it would be quite difficult to get the animals down there. Especially without lifts.

Might just make an animal farm that's indented into the side of a mountain or a cliff. Keep them out of the weather :)

Ranger X

Yeah I figured as much, though don't sheep eat grass to regrow their wool in the next update?
That might hamper things...

It's already like that. This complicate things because you need to "bring" grass underground. It is possible to do it without cheating. :)

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
One thing I would want to test is how exactly creepers are repelled by ocelots. Do they just generally try to run away, or is it a barrier type deal where they can't come within a certain radius of the ocelot, and try to exit that radius while within the boundary? And assuming you can use 4 ocelots surrounding a creeper (like a 4-part Venn diagram with a gap in the middle) to keep it in place, if you close the gap, will the creeper try to run past the ocelots, or will it just start flipping out/do nothing?

Now I'm imagining a fortress with several towers on the main walls, each one with an ocelot sentry guarding the area from creepers.
EDIT: A pun capitalizing on the similarity of Camelot and ocelot. Someone go make that fortress.

-SD-

Banned
What's going in there when you're done?!
Damn that's inspiring. What are you gonna do with it?
First, I'll try and put in various types of farms, including animal ones. Perhaps also a hut or two, some small hills and then the narrow stream that goes through the middle of the dig and Ravine, which is my other big project. I've already grassed parts of the bottom of the dig. The grassing process took a very long time since it propagates so slowly.

If the farms etc. look and feel good I'll leave them be, if not, I'll come up with something else.

I've been trying to think of what to do with the grey wall since I think it looks dull at the moment. If you folks have got any cool ideas, let me know.

Are you saving all the dirt and cobble? If so, please post pics of your wharehouse!!!
Not all of it, very little in fact, but just enough to fill the bottom with dirt to make hills with it and flat areas for the farms and huts and so on. Storing all the material would have slowed down the project quite a bit because of constant trips back and forth the dig and the storage room but, yeah, the storage room would have looked quite impressive.

Was there no lava in there at all?
Yes, in several places. I'm now in the gold zone with 23 layers left and the big lava lakes are just a few layers away now. I've got a few large chestfuls of gravel in store to deal with the lava.

Here's my Minecraft builds diary page: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26817/Minecraft/minecraft.html

Morokh

Began playing the game like two weeks ago, and I'm loving it :p

I haven't really tried anything tied to multiplayer, but I went on the Gaf server to take a quick look at what was done there (and there is some amazing things) but I kept being limited by food since I wasn't able to dig/cut anything to make the most basic tools to sustain my character.
Is this a setting from the server to avoid any kind of destruction in case some nasty people come by or is it like this everywhere ?

Began playing the game like two weeks ago, and I'm loving it :p

I haven't really tried anything tied to multiplayer, but I went on the Gaf server to take a quick look at what was done there (and there is some amazing things) but I kept being limited by food since I wasn't able to dig/cut anything to make the most basic tools to sustain my character.
Is this a setting from the server to avoid any kind of destruction in case some nasty people come by or is it like this everywhere ?

Only people that have been approved citizenship can do anything in the game. As a guest all you can basically do is walk around and look. If you pop on again and find yourself low on food then use /warp domecity turn to your right from where you appear and you will see a small "grocers" store, there is plenty of bread there for you to take (it is open to anyone). Once you have your food nip to the general store on the left of the domecity warp called the "general store" and you should find an iron sword or two and some armour.

Ideally you want to fire off a pm to Ark on here telling him your minecraft name and he will add you to the white list and you will be able to do all the normal stuff you can normally do in minecraft.

WillyFive

Only people that have been approved citizenship can do anything in the game. As a guest all you can basically do is walk around and look. If you pop on again and find yourself low on food then use /warp domecity turn to your right from where you appear and you will see a small "grocers" store, there is plenty of bread there for you to take (it is open to anyone). Once you have your food nip to the general store on the left of the domecity warp called the "general store" and you should find an iron sword or two and some armour.

Ideally you want to fire off a pm to Ark on here telling him your minecraft name and he will add you to the white list and you will be able to do all the normal stuff you can normally do in minecraft.

Oh, that explains it. I thought it was lag.

@_@ That is nuts!

I dug a ditch about 75x50 about 25 deep, and that took a couple of nights. But that THING is on a whole other level, wow!!

I've been trying to think of what to do with the grey wall since I think it looks dull at the moment. If you folks have got any cool ideas, let me know.
replace the wall with:

|_|_|_| - Glass / Water/ Glass, or just glass for the overground part.
|_|_| - Lava / Glass - for the underground part - also will illuminate the area.

Also are you putting a top on it?

-SD-

Banned
replace the wall with:

|_|_|_| - Glass / Water/ Glass, or just glass for the overground part.
|_|_| - Lava / Glass - for the underground part - also will illuminate the area.
Nice nice ideas, those. I've been thinking about all-water or all-lava walls. The lava solution would look amazing at night, especially when looking at the construction from outside.

EDIT: I've pondered about using glass panes instead of cubes and also removing the walls entirely.

Also are you putting a top on it?
I am not.

Mengy

Holy Mother of God! Look at this change that Jeb is making now:

@jeb_
Jens Bergensten Zombies will only be able to break doors on hard (and hardcore) difficulty setting

@jeb_
Jens Bergensten Yes, only wooden doors

So zombies will be able to break down wooden doors! LOL. I wonder if fence gates are included in this? More changes like this are super awesome, I love that Jeb is slowly putting the survival back into the game!

bengraven

Holy Mother of God! Look at this change that Jeb is making now:

So zombies will be able to break down wooden doors! LOL. I wonder if fence gates are included in this? More changes like this are super awesome, I love that Jeb is slowly putting the survival back into the game!

Came in to post this. I'm so fucking stoked!

Guess who's cranking up the difficulty? (this guy!)

That's settled then.

Oh that's fucking sexy. So we won't need to create a new map.

Guarantee the first day someone will build a huge 1x1 nerdtower in one of the main towns to the height limit just to jump off it.

Nice nice ideas, those. I've been thinking about all-water or all-lava walls. The lava solution would look amazing at night, especially when looking at the construction from outside.

EDIT: I've pondered about using glass panes instead of cubes and also removing the walls entirely.
Alternating columns of water and lava also has a really great effect at night, it looks like neon.

I can barely wrap my head around this, the scale is just too big.

I... would guess he used some automated model-import thing. Does such a thing exist? That thing is wayyyyy huge and actually really accurate? Maybe? It looks really accurate from what my memory tells me.

Specifically, it's teh way the trees look that makes me think they just imported some models and algorithmically generated the MC world from the WoW world?

I want to believe it was done by hand, though, so someone tell me I'm wrong. :D

Blizzard

Banned
I... would guess he used some automated model-import thing. Does such a thing exist? That thing is wayyyyy huge and actually really accurate? Maybe? It looks really accurate from what my memory tells me.

Specifically, it's teh way the trees look that makes me think they just imported some models and algorithmically generated the MC world from the WoW world?

I agree, I would expect some sort of model import/generator like the guy who made that big (Star Trek?) ship a while back.

It's still crazy awesome though. I would like to wander through that landscape!

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep

From the way those trees looked, I couldn't tell if it was Minecraft at first.

Raxum

Wow, that Kalimdor map is pretty intense. I would like to hope it was imported/generated rather than hand-built. The amount of hours you would have to put in to getting the materials alone... Then actually building it... o_O

That would be pretty awesome to explore, but it'd be depressing if you accidentally blew up a part of one of the buildings with a creeper or something.

Yeah, saw that earlier. That's all kinds of awesome. Here is a link to an overworld map of the whole thing, this makes it look even more impressive:

http://cursecraft.com/media/kalimdor8bit.png

That's amazing, and I'm like 100% sure it was done by a program. No way one person would have the time and patience.

However, the terrain itself looks absolutely amazing. I wish the Minecraft world gen would make stuff like that. The hills and mountains are what really get me. They look so much better than in Minecraft.

That's amazing, and I'm like 100% sure it was done by a program. No way one person would have the time and patience.

However, the terrain itself looks absolutely amazing. I wish the Minecraft world gen would make stuff like that. The hills and mountains are what really get me. They look so much better than in Minecraft.

Yeahhhh, it'd be... really fucking cool if the biomes were that grand in scale and, more importantly, that diverse.

Top Bottom