• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

Currently visiting Neocraft...

It's like a whole new world now. Last time I went in it was right after the ark arrived!

So where is the place with the most activity right now? what are you guys at?

vinicius

Neo Member
The map IS made by a custom software. There's a bit.ly url on the image: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/997352-crafting-azeroth/

My pet project has been to recreate a full-scale version of World of Warcraft inside Minecraft. The creation of the world is largely automated by custom software which I've been developing over the last few weeks. It's just now reached a point where I can release some quality screenshots!

You should look at the link as there are some nice screenshots overthere. I don't like how the trees look, tho.

kodt

Banned
You should look at the link as there are some nice screenshots overthere. I don't like how the trees look, tho.

Yeah looking at the screens it is very obvious it was generated. The render looks awesome, but some of the screens look stupid b/c things like a bridge or tower will by asymmetrical. If it was designed by hand, buildings would look nicer.

This auto-generation seems good for terrain, but for buildings it only gets the rough shape down.

-SD-

Banned
New snappy.

http://mojang.com/2012/02/09/minecraft-snapshot-12w06a/

Mojang said:
Here’s the development snapshot of week 6, 2012! List of changes:

- Many minor bug fixes and tweaks
- Doors have been changed to properly detect if they are open or closed. Double doors in existing maps will need to be updated
- Villagers will move indoors during night and rain, and socialize with each other
- Zombies will break down wooden doors on hard difficulty
- Added cat sounds
- Better movement for mobs in water
- Added rare mob item drops

Get the snapshot here:

- Client: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w06a/minecraft.jar
- Server: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w06a/minecraft_server.jar

https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/167613914870329345

Jeb said:
Btw in the snapshot zombies tend to break down iron doors also. That's a bug and will be fixed!

Hi, guys. Im new to NeoGAF and I have been lurking this thread (well, ok, all of GAF) for a long time.

Is everyone allowed to join the server?

If so, do I already start with the ability to build or need to talk to Ark?

Im not much of big project guy. I like doing small things and usually just one tower to see far away. I have been playing Minecraft for awhile and I pretty much never use redstone.

Last question - what version is the server on?

Thanks and hope I can play with you guys soon.

Yes, everyone is allowed and yes, you need to PM Ark your minecraft username so he can add you to the whitelist before you can start to place and destroy blocks.

Server version is 1.1.

Ah, ok. I will do that. I also need to update my version of Minecraft (mine is still 1.0).

Thanks.

I think there is something wrong.

I open Minecraft and on the initial page, I dont see anthing above where you sign in.

Then, it asks me to update.

When I do, it gives me an error:

"Failed to launch

Fatal error ocurred (4): Address family not supported by protocol family: connect"

Anyone knows what that means? :p

EDIT - Nevermind. A google search was enough. It was a stupid "Relevant Knowledge" program.

Should have searched before posting here. Sorry.

legacyzero

Banned
Sorry for the triple post.

Just to say I joined Neocraft and Im MtheSMG.
Remember to Donate to Ark as well. We'll hook you up with fantastic goodies if you do!

-Awesome features, like additional warps,
-Your own spawn
-The ability to use TNT
-I'm sure some of us would be happy to throw you some materials to start off as well.

We're trying to get more people to donate (I'm about to donate as well, just had to wait for my tax return lol).

I really think people should get some care packages for donating. What do you think Charlie?

Ranger X

By the way, I saw you guys used a fucking buttload of stronghold bricks everywhere on the server (and a buttload of many other materials). Got me wondering, is the moderation allowing the spawn of materials? There's like 20 strongholds worth of bricks there, it makes totally no sense..

legacyzero

Banned
By the way, I saw you guys used a fucking buttload of stronghold bricks everywhere on the server (and a buttload of many other materials). Got me wondering, is the moderation allowing the spawn of materials? There's like 20 strongholds worth of bricks there, it makes totally no sense..
But, you have to consider all the strongholds have been raped. We know where all 3 are.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

You can make stronghold bricks very easily you know? Blast cobble into clean stone, then place four clean stone in a square in the workbench and viola, four stone bricks. Lord knows I've burned through stacks and stacks of coal making them.

Ranger X

You can make stronghold bricks very easily you know? Blast cobble into clean stone, then place four clean stone in a square in the workbench and viola, four stone bricks. Lord knows I've burned through stacks and stacks of coal making them.

THERE is the explanation. I didn't realise this. By the way Mengy, where are you at in the server? I might build something but I want to be where there's some life...

Mengy

THERE is the explanation. I didn't realise this. By the way Mengy, where are you at in the server? I might build something but I want to be where there's some life...

Well, I've got a huge ziggurat / fortrress I built for a main base just south west of Pioneer Town and spawn, or just north of the arks. It's not done yet, but check it out. Lately I've been spending all of my time either over in Dome City or at the Skyland project.

legacyzero

Banned
Well, I've got a huge ziggurat / fortrress I built for a main base just south west of Pioneer Town and spawn, or just north of the arks. It's not done yet, but check it out. Lately I've been spending all of my time either over in Dome City or at the Skyland project.

Speaking of, Mengy. Can we have an update to the map?? Oh, and with caves? LOL

Vlad

How am I suppose to install that snapshot? This gives me a zip file and when I unzip it there's tons of files and folders...

Zip file? You should be downloading minecraft.jar

Once you've downloaded the right file, just drop the whole file (don't extract the contents) into your minecraft/bin directory, backing up your existing minecraft.jar file if you want.

Ranger X

Zip file? You should be downloading minecraft.jar

Once you've downloaded the right file, just drop the whole file (don't extract the contents) into your minecraft/bin directory, backing up your existing minecraft.jar file if you want.

The link on Mojang site give me a zip file... http://mojang.com/

I was expecting a .jar but that's not what I got

Kuran

Banned
Zombies breaking down door changes the paradigm. The noise is terrifying if you don't know from which door they are coming.

These thursday-updates are amazing.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Zombies breaking down door changes the paradigm. The noise is terrifying if you don't know from which door they are coming.

These thursday-updates are amazing.

Maybe the next one will make zombies able to operate levers. They're learning!

Does this mean zombies can break down fence gates as well?

Ranger X

I've established a little settlement on a small peninsula between your fortress and the Ark.
Looks like we are neighbour again. I have shitload of gravel so I will also connect with the current streets.

Mengy

I've established a little settlement on a small peninsula between your fortress and the Ark.
Looks like we are neighbour again. I have shitload of gravel so I will also connect with the current streets.

Cool. I've got a decent mob grinder on the main floor of my base if you need bones, arrows, gunpowder, etc. I've also got a little XP grinder in the bottom level in a hallway. Although Artistdude's huge immense harvester (with warp point) does a much better job in supplying any and everything you might need, lol.

And Dome City has plenty of sheep to shear if you need wool. Hell, last night they were spilling out into the streets, wandering all over the place!

Ranger X

Cool. I've got a decent mob grinder on the main floor of my base if you need bones, arrows, gunpowder, etc. I've also got a little XP grinder in the bottom level in a hallway. Although Artistdude's huge immense harvester (with warp point) does a much better job in supplying any and everything you might need, lol.

And Dome City has plenty of sheep to shear if you need wool. Hell, last night they were spilling out into the streets, wandering all over the place!

nice! I need to make a bow so it's going to be useful.

legacyzero

Banned
This was a nice surprise :)

P3lML.png

http://htwins.net/scale2/
I think we should go on an expedition. See how far we can travel in a straight line LOL.

Mengy

I think we should go on an expedition. See how far we can travel in a straight line LOL.

I'm going to do something like that in SSP after the next patch hits. I made a new 1.0 world back at "release" and I've built a lot in that map, but I've already made the decision to start new, AGAIN, once 1.2 hits. I want jungles and ocelots just that badly. I messed around with the last snapshot a bit and started a new map with the same seed I used at 1.0, and the world generates very similarly, but different. I start on the same awesome island I did in 1.0 but the island now has sandy beaches! And a few more hills on it. And there is a jungle just across the ocean a bit from the north shore. And the biomes all seem much more interesting. My closest desert has more hills and valleys, the closest mountain biome is much more vaired and interesting.

On one hand I hate starting over again because I'll be back from scratch and need to gather resources yet again for tools and building. On the other hand I look forward to it because I can make a different base this time. And do things differently. And the island has more character to it with the new changes.

But, back to your original point. Traveling far in a straight line. Once I have a nice little base set up and have some iron and a compass and clock and food supplies I'm trekking off in a direction and exploring far, far away. I'm going sightseeing, big time. My goal at the start of this new world won't be to build huge impressive things, it will be to wander and admire the world. And travel as far as I can before I die, setting up little temporary bases wherever I need to in order to restock, or to explore some caves that I just can't ignore. I'm gonna see just how far I can go before getting myself killed!

legacyzero

Banned
I'm going to do something like that in SSP after the next patch hits. I made a new 1.0 world back at "release" and I've built a lot in that map, but I've already made the decision to start new, AGAIN, once 1.2 hits. I want jungles and ocelots just that badly. I messed around with the last snapshot a bit and started a new map with the same seed I used at 1.0, and the world generates very similarly, but different. I start on the same awesome island I did in 1.0 but the island now has sandy beaches! And a few more hills on it. And there is a jungle just across the ocean a bit from the north shore. And the biomes all seem much more interesting. My closest desert has more hills and valleys, the closest mountain biome is much more vaired and interesting.

On one hand I hate starting over again because I'll be back from scratch and need to gather resources yet again for tools and building. On the other hand I look forward to it because I can make a different base this time. And do things differently. And the island has more character to it with the new changes.

But, back to your original point. Traveling far in a straight line. Once I have a nice little base set up and have some iron and a compass and clock and food supplies I'm trekking off in a direction and exploring far, far away. I'm going sightseeing, big time. My goal at the start of this new world won't be to build huge impressive things, it will be to wander and admire the world. And travel as far as I can before I die, setting up little temporary bases wherever I need to in order to restock, or to explore some caves that I just can't ignore. I'm gonna see just how far I can go before getting myself killed!
I think I might do that for Neocraft once I'm satisfied with how big Skycity gets.

Mengy

Aww, hell yeah, this is great news:

@jeb_
Jens Bergensten

Biome data will be saved with the chunks in the new world format. Tool makers can probably use this to restore old maps.

This means that new updates should never mess up old maps or biome signatures anymore with respect to biomes and weather. It also means that it should be possible to CHANGE biome flags on a per chunk basis. So we should (theoretically) be able add in some jungles to Neocraft! Hell you could probably make it snow on a mountain top only if you wanted to as well, that would be sweet! Snowy mountain tops!!!

Jeb sure is doing a lot, excellent progress since he has taken over.

EDIT: oh yeah, and this:

@jonkagstrom
jonkagstrom

Experimenting with zombie village sieges.

So, I played some today.

Neocraft is huge. Someone gave me a house in the village (forgot his name lol), but now I claimed a small spot in SkyCity.

In fact, SkyCity looks freaking amazing.

Now, need to gather more materials and think of something cool to build there.

Jasoneyu

Man gotta get back into this game. I took a break for a while during the holidays but now there is a huge sky city, dome city and the huge castle :(. Makes weep at scale of which I build at.

legacyzero

Banned
So, I played some today.

Neocraft is huge. Someone gave me a house in the village (forgot his name lol), but now I claimed a small spot in SkyCity.

In fact, SkyCity looks freaking amazing.

Now, need to gather more materials and think of something cool to build there.
Just you wait until the height limit is put in. It's gonna ROCK.

Looks like we might be getting a Nether reset soon... I know I always say that, but Ark's been in touch with Multiplay who should be getting on the case over the next day or so. So just a heads-up if anyone wants to retrieve some stuff from there, now would probably be a good time!

Ark

Looks like we might be getting a Nether reset soon... I know I always say that, but Ark's been in touch with Multiplay who should be getting on the case over the next day or so. So just a heads-up if anyone wants to retrieve some stuff from there, now would probably be a good time!

This man won't leave me alone about it, so it'll be done :p

Ranger X

Makes me think that a hunting game would be fun in Minecraft. Mods creating treasures points to discover. Then they organise some hints to find them or make treasure maps!

Ok, people. Tell me what you think.

I decided to do something different with my house in SkyCity. Someone said that it stands out too much from the city style.

Now, the city is supposebly free-style build but I see that some might be bothered.

Its basically a big building with the wall made with a lava "waterfall".

Id post pics, but I dont know which site you use to host the pics. Let me know and I will post some.

So, those who log in to Minecraft just go to the right from spawn on Skycity. Can't be missed.

If people have problem with it, I will try to do something with it.

PS - I hate creepers. Made me fall in lava 2 times and I lost a ton of buckets. :p

Morokh

Made two tours on Neocraft and there is so much awesome things that have been built !

Was Sky Dome really built entirely by hand ? because seeing how it is built with mostly iron blocks that makes a TON of iron. Kind of left me wondering if the underground isn't mined-out in most places, but being quite new at the game maybe I just don't get the scope of the world that is generated.

Are the areas that are shown on the map in the OP only what has been discovered ?

Top Bottom