• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Was Sky Dome really built entirely by hand ? because seeing how it is built with mostly iron blocks that makes a TON of iron. Kind of left me wondering if the underground isn't mined-out in most places, but being quite new at the game maybe I just don't get the scope of the world that is generated.

Yeah Dome City started off as my creation with Crazylegzlu hopping on board a lil later out of pity for me having to build the bravo dome. However not all is as it seems, the iron wasn't mined I am afraid (nearly 1 million blocks go into Dome City's bases which would need 9 million blocks of iron ore). Originally the bases of the various domes were made out of cobblestone, it wasn't a great look if I am honest.

When I became a moderator I sort of "indulged" myself and used world edit to convert the cobblestone to iron blocks. So yeah it was "partial" cheating but it looked so damn good I thought to hell with it.

Rapstah

Ok, people. Tell me what you think.

I decided to do something different with my house in SkyCity. Someone said that it stands out too much from the city style.

Now, the city is supposebly free-style build but I see that some might be bothered.

Its basically a big building with the wall made with a lava "waterfall".

Id post pics, but I dont know which site you use to host the pics. Let me know and I will post some.

So, those who log in to Minecraft just go to the right from spawn on Skycity. Can't be missed.

If people have problem with it, I will try to do something with it.

PS - I hate creepers. Made me fall in lava 2 times and I lost a ton of buckets. :p

The idea could work in the environment, but the height makes it stand out a little too much in my opinion. That, and there's this sort of current running theme that all floating elements have to have some kind of broken floating landmass under themselves.

Try adding some non-cobblestone elements to the structure too, cobblestone itself is pretty bland but it can be used effectively with other materials. Sandstone, smoothstone and stone bricks are all good ideas that would make sense around lava. Not that it has to make physical sense when you're building something on a magically floating island.

legacyzero

Banned
Ok, people. Tell me what you think.

I decided to do something different with my house in SkyCity. Someone said that it stands out too much from the city style.

Now, the city is supposebly free-style build but I see that some might be bothered.

Its basically a big building with the wall made with a lava "waterfall".

Id post pics, but I dont know which site you use to host the pics. Let me know and I will post some.

So, those who log in to Minecraft just go to the right from spawn on Skycity. Can't be missed.

If people have problem with it, I will try to do something with it.

PS - I hate creepers. Made me fall in lava 2 times and I lost a ton of buckets. :p
It looks impressive, however, it should be moved. It's in front of the pathway where a new Island will be built.

Maybe condense it a bit? shorten it up, or something? I guess it just doesn't fit. My honest opinion.

The idea could work in the environment, but the height makes it stand out a little too much in my opinion. That, and there's this sort of current running theme that all floating elements have to have some kind of broken floating landmass under themselves.

Try adding some non-cobblestone elements to the structure too, cobblestone itself is pretty bland but it can be used effectively with other materials. Sandstone, smoothstone and stone bricks are all good ideas that would make sense around lava. Not that it has to make physical sense when you're building something on a magically floating island.

You make interesting points. Will see what i can do.

It looks impressive, however, it should be moved. It's in front of the pathway where a new Island will be built.

Maybe condense it a bit? shorten it up, or something? I guess it just doesn't fit. My honest opinion.

Man, thats right. there is the road to the right of my house. I forgot about it. I will try to fix it. But, if you guys need to build, feel free to destroy whatever you guys need to.

I wont mind.

legacyzero

Banned
You make interesting points. Will see what i can do.

Man, thats right. there is the road to the right of my house. I forgot about it. I will try to fix it. But, if you guys need to build, feel free to destroy whatever you guys need to.

I wont mind.
I would agree with Rapstah though. Doesn't fit the aesthetic. Perhaps it would be better if you cranked it down like 80% in size. It would be an sight then.

Okay. Next time Im online I will try to make it a ton smaller and take it from there.

Though, CharmingCharlie saw how much I was bitching about getting the whole lava thing done right, lol.

Thanks, guys.

Ranger X

Hey Mengy, I don't exactly know when you are on but if you come by your fortress, you'll see a new route that leads to my place. It's extremely early right now (nothing to see really) but it will end up being a small Castle planted on the top of some hill. I also dug under there and fell into some ravine at some point. I think it's actually "your" ravine. I will eventually explore my side of the thing and make the mineshaft galleries a bit more beautiful.

-SD-

Banned
EDIT: The following is about my singleplayer Survival world.

Mined out The Ravine to an even 1000 meter length yesterday. I'd had it at 950m since October, 2011 and decided to finally make the number a four-digit one. The Ravine is 5 meters wide and 59 deep, reaching from bedrock to ocean level.

The Ravine is a build that I'll keep on making longer and longer so, some day, that screenshot will read 2000M, 3000M and so on.

I'm putting The Ravine on hold until Mineshaft is finished and until I've decorated the 1000 meters of The Ravine's walls with huge pillars.

World render (cropped):

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hey Mengy, I don't exactly know when you are on but if you come by your fortress, you'll see a new route that leads to my place. It's extremely early right now (nothing to see really) but it will end up being a small Castle planted on the top of some hill. I also dug under there and fell into some ravine at some point. I think it's actually "your" ravine. I will eventually explore my side of the thing and make the mineshaft galleries a bit more beautiful.

Cool, I'm hoping to get online tonight for a bit, I'll check it out. As it happens there is a ravine pretty much directly under my fortress, but I doubt you tunnelled into that one. There also are two other ravines within close proximity to the ravine underneath me, Ziefer and I tunneled into all of them. You probably hit one of those, we had them mostly explored I think.

-Minsc-

Could someone give me the diameter of the largest DomeCity dome? I'm planning to build an under water dome so I want something to set scale by.

Morokh

Could someone give me the diameter of the largest DomeCity dome? I'm planning to build an under water dome so I want something to set scale by.

The largest seems like it is still being built, and trust me you don't want to know it's size xD (you can't see the borders of it on the highest settings unless you stand in the middle)

PM'd Ark yesterday, hope I'll be able to join soon :)

Ok, I promise I'll get the Nether reset sometime today or tomorrow.

Really.

You would do well in a political career ;)

If memory serves it goes like this :-

Reception dome = 25 blocks radius (50 blocks in diameter)
Old wheat dome = 20 blocks radius (40 blocks in diameter)
Old Chicken dome = 15 blocks radius (30 blocks in diameter0

Alpha dome = 50 blocks radius (100 blocks in diameter)
Bravo dome = 100 blocks radius (200 blocks in diameter)
Charlie dome = 50 blocks radius (100 blocks in diameter)
Delta dome - 100 blocks radius (200 blocks in diameter)
Echo dome = 150 blocks radius (300 blocks in diameter)

So Echo is the biggest but it won't be fun trying to build something of that size underwater :p

Mengy

I doubt you want the diameter of the largest dome. That is one humungous dome....

Xun

You would do well in a political career ;)

So Echo is the biggest but it won't be fun trying to build something of that size underwater :p
Echo is only 300 blocks in diameter? It seems even larger than that weirdly.

Echo is only 300 blocks in diameter? It seems even larger than that weirdly.
That is probably down to the increased dome height. Most of the domes so far have been about 27/28 blocks high because of the height limit. However the Echo dome is almost twice the size (and twice the pain in the arse too) at 47 blocks high.

YESH! I am finally here, no more hijacking my husbands account

just saying... yes i love attention. now shush and play

Oh god there goes the neighbourhood :p

Isobelise

Oke just to make sure everyone has seen this:
Suddenly a part of the public road is missing to a new island in skycity.
I made the road again, putting down these two signs:

sign 1
sign 2

I hope this time they won't get removed, and ark please tell your sis about this, since the road passes by her house.
You can't claim an island, and I'm not 100% sure who removed the road, but please let it stay there now...

rezuth

sign 1
sign 2

I hope this time they won't get removed, and ark please tell your sis about this, since the road passes by her house.
You can't claim an island, and I'm not 100% sure who removed the road, but please let it stay there now...

Your links are not working because you have ".pngurl" in your links. Fix it please :)

legacyzero

Banned
YESH! I am finally here, no more hijacking my husbands account

just saying... yes i love attention. now shush and play
Oh god lol.

Welcome junior! Now everybody Donate Wool to Isobelise for her shop. Dont argue, just do it. It's for the greater good lol.

sign 1
sign 2

WAT.

Somebody removed the ROAD? But why?? I'll be there in about 8 hours to take a look. What the heck.

EDIT: Oh THAT road. Isn't that located right behind one of Splash's many plots? Perhaps we should move that over to the road where the sign is?

legacyzero

Banned
So... yesterday with the lava thign was pretty fun.

If ti wasnt for CharmingCharlie, Skycity would be very different right now lol
Actually, the way the base of it looked after we put the fires our (lol) It looked pretty cool.

But yeah, that stupid thing had to go LOL. Too many lives were lost (mainly yours) trying to destroy that damn thing :3

-Minsc-

Didn't have time to check out the big domes before. Wow. Are there plans for those domes I could look at? I want some stuff to study.

So does anyone have any experience using MCEdit who could help me with a few things?

I feel so dirty using it, but I started work on a MEGA-Project on a Superflat world, only to realize the ground is only 5 blocks thick and I had planned some significant underground components. I need to raise up basically everything there is and fill in the remainder with stone.

Blizzard

Banned
Some points from that page:
■Maximum build height has been increased to 256 (was 128)
■Empty sections of the world are not loaded into memory
■Block ids have been increased to 4096 (was 256) by adding a 4 bit data layer (similar to how meta data is stored)
■Block ordering have been changed from x/z/y to y/z/x in order to improve compression
■Packets for sending chunks have been updated (a full 128-high chunk is smaller than the old format, and a chunk with lots of empty space is much smaller)
■Biomes are saved per x/z column, which means they can be altered by tools
The next snapshot, and Minecraft 1.2, will automatically convert worlds to the new format. The files of the current format (“McRegion”) will remain in your save folder, if you need to restore them for some reason.
Sounds good to me, and I'm glad they're paying attention to modders and working on support. I'm really happy with Notch's choice of Jeb to carry on with Minecraft development.

Didn't have time to check out the big domes before. Wow. Are there plans for those domes I could look at? I want some stuff to study.

There isn't much to study really :p but if you need help planning and constructing the domes then grab a copy of the minecraft structure planner. It isn't perfect but it does take some of the guess work out of building certain structures and shapes. You can find it here :-

http://minecraftstructureplanner.com/

As for the new update, it sounds great. It's good to see the height get kicked up to 256 blocks and I can't wait to see this in action when the next official update hits the Neocraft server.

-Minsc-

There isn't much to study really :p but if you need help planning and constructing the domes then grab a copy of the minecraft structure planner. It isn't perfect but it does take some of the guess work out of building certain structures and shapes.

I actually found that not long after I made my last post. Quite cool. Currently I'm making a practice dome offline in creative to see how one comes together.

Kuran

Banned
The new world file format update on the Mojang blog is exciting. I guess that confirms an increased map height limit!

If only the oceans were more interesting, so we could have some benefit of deeper oceans.

Code:
Maximum build height has been increased to 256 (was 128)

Ranger X

Some points from that page:

Sounds good to me, and I'm glad they're paying attention to modders and working on support. I'm really happy with Notch's choice of Jeb to carry on with Minecraft development.

Hell yeah! The game sounds more active than before release! lol

Rapstah

I hope the clouds remain at around 120 high after the update too. Building stuff high above the clouds would make Sky City quite a lot cooler. And imagine looking up from the main compass island and seeing five or six layers of islands up there, that would be cool.

Mengy

The new world file format update on the Mojang blog is exciting. I guess that confirms an increased map height limit!

If only the oceans were more interesting, so we could have some benefit of deeper oceans.

Patch 1.2 is going to be an awesome patch and the changes all sound incredible, but we aren't getting deeper oceans. Sea level is staying at 64, the extra 128 blocks of world height are all going into the sky. I'm not sure if the new world generator will build mountains up above level 128 or not, but Jeb's changes are basically just to allow us to go above the cloud layer. What excites me is the way he is changing the world data files and storage, he is really streamlining the data to lower map file size and decrease bandwidth in SMP. This has two very important consequences:

1. Map file sizes should go down, so exploring new territories won't increase map file sizes so quickly
2. Patch 1.2 should help with lag in SMP

Performance upgrades to the code are always a good idea, this will allow other things to be improved greatly down the road. Like the new biome data stamps for example. This is going to have huge implications going forward for us. It will allow us to get jungles in Neocraft for example! New changes to the world generator shouldn't ever mess up an old format map again, not ever. And new map chunks should integrate with a lot less hassle now. And snowy mountain tops will be possible. So many possibilities due to this change.

Jeb is doing an outstanding job at kicking ass so far, he is taking Minecraft down a far better path than I expected this soon after release.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

As Mengy mentioned, sea level isn't changing, but mods with their own terrain generation can probably raise the sea level to whatever they want, as well as make the oceans as interesting as they want. So you likely wouldn't get deeper oceans without those oceans also being more interesting.

Vlad

I hope the clouds remain at around 120 high after the update too. Building stuff high above the clouds would make Sky City quite a lot cooler. And imagine looking up from the main compass island and seeing five or six layers of islands up there, that would be cool.

According to Jeb's twitter, it looks like that's exactly what's going to happen.

Morokh

I was wondering, when they say that they will increase the sky limit, do they count from bedrock to sky, or from sea level (around 50-ish if I remember correctly) ?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I was wondering, when they say that they will increase the sky limit, do they count from bedrock to sky, or from sea level (around 50-ish if I remember correctly) ?

Technically both since sea level isn't changing, but they mean bedrock-to-sky (which is really void-to-sky, but whatever).

Mengy

Jeb is adding 128 blocks above the current world height. Look at it like this, when 1.2 hits and you upgrade your current world (or start a new one) when you log in you won't be able to tell anything at all is different. The sea will still be at the same level (64), the clouds will still be at the same level (128), bedrock will still be at the same level (5). Nothing will seem different at all until you build something up to the cloud layer. Currently, you can't place blocks above layer 128, not at all. After 1.2 Jeb is changing the map to allow players to build another 128 blocks above the clouds.

Essentially he is adding 128 blocks of air or empty space above the map. That's all that is changing at this time (with regard to map height).

So now when you find that huge mountain biome that has a mountain that goes up to the clouds, where today you wouldn't be able to build anything up there due to the map height limit, but after 1.2 you would be able to build a huge 128 block tall castle or tower on top of that mountain that sits above the clouds and looks down on the whole world.

Xun

So now when you find that huge mountain biome that has a mountain that goes up to the clouds, where today you wouldn't be able to build anything up there due to the map height limit, but after 1.2 you would be able to build a huge 128 block tall castle or tower on top of that mountain that sits above the clouds and looks down on the whole world.
Speaking of which I'll probably attempt this after my current castle...

800px-Hohenschwangau_-_Schloss_Neuschwanstein1.jpg

I doubt I'll do it alone though.

legacyzero

Banned
Jeb is adding 128 blocks above the current world height. Look at it like this, when 1.2 hits and you upgrade your current world (or start a new one) when you log in you won't be able to tell anything at all is different. The sea will still be at the same level (64), the clouds will still be at the same level (128), bedrock will still be at the same level (5). Nothing will seem different at all until you build something up to the cloud layer. Currently, you can't place blocks above layer 128, not at all. After 1.2 Jeb is changing the map to allow players to build another 128 blocks above the clouds.Essentially he is adding 128 blocks of air or empty space above the map. That's all that is changing at this time (with regard to map height).

HOLY MOLY.

I'm planning my new islands as I type this LOL.

Mengy

Speaking of which I'll probably attempt this after my current castle...

800px-Hohenschwangau_-_Schloss_Neuschwanstein1.jpg

I doubt I'll do it alone though.

Yeah, exactly, stuff like that will be possible now. I know we are going to see a plethora of 140+ block tall towers after the patch, but I'm looking more forward to the things like that Xun.

I still think we should start a Tower City, a place where we can put all of our inevitable super tall towers in one area, maybe even building bridges between them up at the 200+ layer level. With dozens of deep water pools beneath them so we can fall off "safely", lol. Might be a cool community project.

I know for a fact that Sky City will be taken to an entire new level of game after Neocraft goes to 1.2. I hope you guys keep the current islands but just "stairstep" them up to higher and higher islands. Kind of like a San Francisco in the Sky, so to speak.

I am kinda torn on the cloud issue, I understand it would be cool to have buildings enveloped by clouds and yeah it would be great. However I still remember when the clouds would float through enclosed buildings and it looked like crap.

Now I know they "fixed" the issue and by fixed they simply moved the clouds above the height limit that you could build at so you wouldn't get clouds floating through buildings. If they have really fixed the clouds then great, but if not I would prefer the clouds to be above the height limit to stop them floating through buildings.

Top Bottom