• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

How does THAT work? You die, you can never reconnect?

Knowing Notch and Jeb it probably means if anyone dies on the server then we all get kicked and the world gets deleted :-/ I propose we ban Mackroid as soon as possible because he does nothing but die lol.

I already thought there was a "hardcore" mode in multiplayer. Isn't it a case of "if you die" you are unable to reconnect for a certain period of time ?

Not sure about that singleplayer stuff with regards to it becoming a local server. I kinda like the singleplayer being separate but hey if done right it won't affect me so I aint gonna complain.

Knowing Notch and Jeb it probably means if anyone dies on the server then we all get kicked and the world gets deleted :-/ I propose we ban Mackroid as soon as possible because he does nothing but die lol.

I died at least 4 times yesterday getting my bearings and looking for a place to start building...

defel

I read that SMP Hardcore mode just bans you from the server when you die. Of course the real way to do it would be for Mojang to delete your account if you die

-Minsc-

Whoever died in the nether on the road between the harvester portal and end portal, I seem to have picked up your stuff. I have you're enchanted diamond sword and pickaxe so let me know who you are and I'll return them.

bengraven

Ahhh I have fond memories of BootyBay, I miss all the awesome community projects we had on the old map. That tree was Mirk's too I think.

You should grab some pictures of Arkyoto if you can :)

Man, we still have some community projects going!

Dome City is a WIP, still, and is already awesome and impressive. We have a sky city, I see someone is working on a modern city, etc.

Man, we still have some community projects going!

Dome City is a WIP, still, and is already awesome and impressive. We have a sky city, I see someone is working on a modern city, etc.

Actually Dome City is done. Foxtrot is the last dome and that was finished last week. Now Sky City is still expanding and should get pretty awesome now that we can build above the clouds.

The modern city is Poor's and has a very cool art museum in it.

Dineren

Banned
On a whim I logged on Neocraft to kill some time and -Minsc- was kind enough to take me on a tour; I have to say you all have done some incredible work. Thinking about the amount of time and material required to build some of that stuff boggles the mind. I had been anxiously awaiting the arrival of Diablo tomorrow, but now all I want to do is play more Minecraft.

bengraven

Actually Dome City is done. Foxtrot is the last dome and that was finished last week. Now Sky City is still expanding and should get pretty awesome now that we can build above the clouds.

The modern city is Poor's and has a very cool art museum in it.

Right, but what I mean is that there's still plenty of open space.

Especially in Charlie dorm. That place is a graveyard. One reason I'm hesitant about building something there: I don't think anyone will end up seeing it. ha

Right, but what I mean is that there's still plenty of open space.

Especially in Charlie dorm. That place is a graveyard. One reason I'm hesitant about building something there: I don't think anyone will end up seeing it. ha

Yeah, Charlie is very much a graveyard. If you want just take over the remaining plots and build a giant house.

Been working on trying to get FRAPS optimized for Minecraft. It's a little sluggish, but once I get it done, I'll be starting off on recording the server tour videos. :) As well as my Let's Play on the server.

defel

It is a different map from last time I am guessing right? They said it was the same size.

Ye its a different map and from the videos Ive seen they are saying its the same size.

Im so excited to see what happens when someone stumbles on Nebris' portal trap

We really need to do a GAF Ultra Hardcore game sometime. I would participate like fuck.

Would we host it on the server and just make a large arena for it? Or would we make a whole new server for it?

I'd say we can make an arena for it. Not a physical place maybe just a glass square to close in an area.

Rapstah

Would we host it on the server and just make a large arena for it? Or would we make a whole new server for it?

I'd say we can make an arena for it. Not a physical place maybe just a glass square to close in an area.

I'd go for a new server if only for the fact that modding health regen away is half the point of ultra hardcore. If this could be set up on any of the existing servers on a player-per-player basis, and then a sufficiently large area glassed in and people dropped in by some rule, then sure.

WillyFive

Yeah, I've never thought about competitive Minecraft before, but it sounds like a real blast and a real test of your skill. I'd be up for it.

Or at least watch it on Youtube after I lose a half hour into the game. Someone should record it if we are doing it.

Yeah, I've never thought about competitive Minecraft before, but it sounds like a real blast and a real test of your skill. I'd be up for it.

Or at least watch it on Youtube after I lose a half hour into the game. Someone should record it if we are doing it.

We could have everyone record their own perspective if they've got the software to do it.

Also as far as what to do about a server in one of the upcoming updates won't you be able to join someone's world? Depending on how mods are handled in that case maybe that's something we could do about hosting.

Yeticraft just finished up its building contest, and Gaf's sippycup took the top prize! Here's a few pics:

pXxww.jpg

LzWEh.jpg

WicDx.jpg

SmeQh.jpg

WCfnk.jpg

mublX.jpg

This all done on a PVP server set to hard, with sippy dying about every 24 minutes. If you're looking for a fun but challenging server, I urge you to check it out.

Rapstah

We could have everyone record their own perspective if they've got the software to do it.

Also as far as what to do about a server in one of the upcoming updates won't you be able to join someone's world? Depending on how mods are handled in that case maybe that's something we could do about hosting.

If everyone were recording their own perspective then there would be no way the person hosting could participate. Just a server with 5-10 people actively doing different things in loading chunks takes a lot of power.

defel

From watching all the youtubers I get the impression that to be able to play MC and record at the same time requires a pretty powerful PC. My poor laptop struggles with Minecraft alone, let alone FRAPs running in the background too :(

Rapstah

From watching all the youtubers I get the impression that to be able to play MC and record at the same time requires a pretty powerful PC. My poor laptop struggles with Minecraft alone, let alone FRAPs running in the background too :(

That is certainly reduced if you record at a lower resolution. Say 480p, the highest low-quality Youtube quality, that doesn't take too much power. What you'll really be stressed for is hard drive space.

If everyone were recording their own perspective then there would be no way the person hosting could participate. Just a server with 5-10 people actively doing different things in loading chunks takes a lot of power.

I'd just worry if we had one person filming it you'd miss some deaths.

Sounds like the best solution is everyone who participates records and the host doesn't participate. As long as there's no requirement that we record commentary over the videos.

Yeah, people can choose to commentate but it won't be a requirement. Do we have anyone on here that could make an Ultra Hardcore mod?

Rapstah

Yeah, people can choose to commentate but it won't be a requirement. Do we have anyone on here that could make an Ultra Hardcore mod?

The Mindcrack guys use a publically available one:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1008473-125-xxxhardcorexxx-mod/

(or at least the mod itself claims it's the one they use)

EDIT: And I think the hardcore multiplayer mode being added in the next patch will also be this, because it makes sense for the popularity of the series. Who knows when that's coming out though.

-Minsc-

It would take away from my regular building time but does sound like fun. Put together a list of stuff I need to prepare/install for this hardcore thing.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Yeticraft just finished up its building contest, and Gaf's sippycup took the top prize! Here's a few pics:

http://i.imgur.com/pXxww.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LzWEh.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/WicDx.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SmeQh.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/WCfnk.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/mublX.jpg[img]

This all done on a PVP server set to hard, with sippy dying about every 24 minutes. If you're looking for a fun but challenging server, I urge you to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Granted, Sippy has lots of fall deaths from trying to do ridiculous things with his building lol. Pictures don't do justice to what sippycup was able to achieve in the amount of time he had. Some other really great builds were done as well. Stop by and check some of them out if you're in the mood for something a little different than the neocraft server from time to time.

squattingyeti, how do you manage the judging? Texture packs can have a lot of influence on how a build looks. Were the contestants all using the same pack? Or did the judges apply the preferred pack to their game upon judging each building? Or was it a stylistic choice and the contestant had to hope his build looked good universally?

-Minsc-

squattingyeti, how do you manage the judging? Texture packs can have a lot of influence on how a build looks. Were the contestants all using the same pack? Or did the judges apply the preferred pack to their game upon judging each building? Or was it a stylistic choice and the contestant had to hope his build looked good universally?

This is one of the reasons I stick with the default texture pack. If it looks good there it should look good on most other packs.

Well this is sorta "minecraft" related, as many know I used to like Mass Effect till I took a Bioware ending to the brain, hell even my minecraft skin is Commander Shepard. Anyway I still love minecraft and this video did make me laugh :-

http://youtu.be/mMXUUsIXLfs

There are no ME 3 spoilers (but to be on the safe side don't watch it if you don't want ME 3 spoiling ..... Bioware will spoil if for you big time anyway) and YES it is minecraft related which is why I am posting it in here.

Top Bottom