• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Well damn. So much for that caving expedition. Was doing pretty well. I'd picked up a stack of coal and iron with a lot of stuff left behind me. Ran into 4 dungeons in this one cave/mine system so I ended up with a half stack of iron bars, a bucket which soon grabbed some lava and 1/3rd stack of gold thanks to a swanky new iron pick I crafted while I was down there.

Crafted myself a new iron sword to replace the stone sword that I had worn out and was feeling pretty good about everything! Then I turned a corner and ran into 3 cave spiders. :/

Don't really remember the specific path to get back there, but I'm gonna have to give it a shot.

EDIT: Haha! I managed to get all my stuff before it despawned! I almost got caught be another cave spider while doing so. It hit me, but thankfully I avoided the poison and got away. Actually wasn't as hard to get back there as I thought it would be, didn't make a single wrong turn. I think I'll go drop this stuff off before I die again though...

EDIT2: Found my first diamonds while trying to find my way out of that cave. Also I think I ran into the same cave spider again while searching for another exit that didn't involve going through him. Persistent little bastard he was. Thankfully he didn't kill me a second time. Ended up warping out when I got trapped in a dead end by a few of his friends come to avenge his death I think.

jambo

In other news Jeb posted this on his twitter earlier

with what looks like a new ore in the background. Ruby possibly?

ydtRr.png

Can't wait for the next snapshot, if the currency and NPC interaction is in it.

Stat!

I just died. What do I do? I lost everything? What are those black things? I was swarmed by them when I wasn't looking. The green things that aren't zombies finished me off. Both of those killed me. Do I go back and get my stuff? That was annoying. I saw lava, wasn't sure how to pick it up with my bucket. I was really far down. Never been that far. I couldnt switch to my sword fast enough.

ZZMitch

I just died. What do I do? I lost everything? What are those black things? I was swarmed by them when I wasn't looking. The green things that aren't zombies finished me off. Both of those killed me. Do I go back and get my stuff? That was annoying. I saw lava, wasn't sure how to pick it up with my bucket. I was really far down. Never been that far. I couldnt switch to my sword fast enough.

Your stuff drops where you die. If you get back fast enough you can save it! Were the black things really tall? If so they were enderman, if you don't look at them they won't attack. Spiders are also black, but they are short have red eyes. THe green things are creepers, they blow up if they are close to you and make no noise. If you right click on the lava with the bucket in your hand you will pick it up, it has to be a source (unmoving) block though. You can hit the numbers 1-9 on your keyboard to instantly switch to the corresponding number on your hot-bar for faster switching.

-Minsc-

Items stay on the ground for a duration of five minutes when chunk is loaded. If the chunk isn't loaded, ie: no player present, the items "timer" will freeze until the chunk is loaded again. It's common to find a persons loot laying on the ground in less traveled areas as a result of this.

Stat!

Your stuff drops where you die. If you get back fast enough you can save it! Were the black things really tall? If so they were enderman, if you don't look at them they won't attack. Spiders are also black, but they are short have red eyes. THe green things are creepers, they blow up if they are close to you and make no noise. If you right click on the lava with the bucket in your hand you will pick it up, it has to be a source (unmoving) block though. You can hit the numbers 1-9 on your keyboard to instantly switch to the corresponding number on your hot-bar for faster switching.

Yeah, the lava was moving so there was my problem.

I know what spiders are and these weren't them. I think it's gone. There are a ton of zombies and a skeleton there and I don't know if I can get past them nor can I find where my stuff is at and I died again.

I panicked, got scared, and died (again). :(

I had torches everywhere too and even found an underwater river which was cool. This is why I hate SP games. Too scared at these block things. At least building with other people, I have people who can protect me. :p

:eek:

Very nice, mind showing us how?

It's based off a design from PearSqurrel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pG91IfoyAw

Basically, it's two sets of pistons. One on top pushes down the fence when activated, then retracts. Then when I flip the switch, the second set of pistons pushes the gravel up and retracts.

Since gravel is a falling block, once the pistons retract, the gravel falls back into the hole where it was before, the fence stays pushed up, and it's open. :)

Did a short montage of the building part, but I haven't uploaded it yet. It also needs some decoration so it doesn't look so blocky, and I have to begin progress on the grand hallway that leads from there to the main tower of the fortress. All in due time, of course.

-Minsc-

It's based off a design from PearSqurrel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pG91IfoyAw

Basically, it's two sets of pistons. One on top pushes down the fence when activated, then retracts. Then when I flip the switch, the second set of pistons pushes the gravel up and retracts.

Since gravel is a falling block, once the pistons retract, the gravel falls back into the hole where it was before, the fence stays pushed up, and it's open. :)

Did a short montage of the building part, but I haven't uploaded it yet. It also needs some decoration so it doesn't look so blocky, and I have to begin progress on the grand hallway that leads from there to the main tower of the fortress. All in due time, of course.

Very interesting. I'm curious to see how large a door one could make with that method.

Very interesting. I'm curious to see how large a door one could make with that method.

In the comments, the video creator says you can extend it horizontally pretty well, which is pretty obvious. Making it taller would be a much more difficult matter, but I don't see why you couldn't make it 5 tall. Maybe 6, but you'd need some room.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

That's awesome. I need to build one of those just for the fun of it. I love designing things with redstone, I'm just not very good at it, lol.

So you used backwards facing step blocks to prevent the fence posts connecting to the adjacent blocks? Looks good.

Indeed. Because of how I have mine set up, there is one row of stone brick at the top for the last set of top-side pistons (replacing the wool used in the original design), so that's the only place they connect to any adjacent blocks.

Vlad

I do wish we could get some additional controlled motion devices besides pistons in future updates.

Yeah, that's the one area I really wish they'd focus a little more on. The pistons were a great addition, but there just feels like there should be more to do. Of course, once they get a proper mod API up and running (especially if they end up making it so that you auto-download mods when connecting to a server running them), then most of it will be rather moot, since a lot of mods out there cover a lot of the stuff you might be looking for.

For example, I've spent hours over the last few weeks really digging into RedPower. I hadn't paid any attention to the mod for quite some time, and I thought it was still just wire and logic gates. It turns out that the mod's creator has added a bunch of new stuff to it, including a pneumatic tubes (for transporting items), pumps and fluid pipes (for pumping water and lava source blocks), and best of all Frames (more on those in a second).

I started a new world and played it Survival style, as there are several new ores and materials added by the mod, and I was curious how well they fit in as far as mining goes. After a few weeks work, I've built a gravel-to-flint converting machine, an automatic obsidian generator, an automatic infinite cobblestone harvester, a sheep-shearing factory, and my current (and by far, the largest) project, a mining machine:

38n5i.png

fS68e.png

Sure, it's a work in progress, and it's ugly as hell (and it's going to stay that way), but it's my baby.

Those yellow, girder-like blocks that it's almost entirely built out of are called frames. By themselves, they do nothing, but when you add a frame motor (those green blocks in the middle of the second image), that's when great things happen. What a frame motor will do is move a frame one block in one direction (determined by the direction of the frame motor. However, when moved, a frame will also move all frames attached to the original one, and any blocks attached to those.

So, that machine in the picture is actually two parts. There's all the various motors and guts on its base, and the tall arm and mining head, which can dig a good-sized square down into the earth:

kKw6f.png

It takes about 4 minutes to bore from the surface all the way down to bedrock. All the materials that are dug up are sent via pneumatic tube to a group of chests on the machine's base, except cobblestone, dirt, and gravel are filtered out and discarded on the way.

Eventually I'm aiming to get this thing mobile, so I can essentially drive it around from place to place and dig.

There's a good overview of frames here.

Rapstah

Yeah, that's the one area I really wish they'd focus a little more on. The pistons were a great addition, but there just feels like there should be more to do. Of course, once they get a proper mod API up and running (especially if they end up making it so that you auto-download mods when connecting to a server running them), then most of it will be rather moot, since a lot of mods out there cover a lot of the stuff you might be looking for.

For example, I've spent hours over the last few weeks really digging into RedPower. I hadn't paid any attention to the mod for quite some time, and I thought it was still just wire and logic gates. It turns out that the mod's creator has added a bunch of new stuff to it, including a pneumatic tubes (for transporting items), pumps and fluid pipes (for pumping water and lava source blocks), and best of all Frames (more on those in a second).

I started a new world and played it Survival style, as there are several new ores and materials added by the mod, and I was curious how well they fit in as far as mining goes. After a few weeks work, I've built a gravel-to-flint converting machine, an automatic obsidian generator, an automatic infinite cobblestone harvester, a sheep-shearing factory, and my current (and by far, the largest) project, a mining machine:

38n5i.png

fS68e.png

Sure, it's a work in progress, and it's ugly as hell (and it's going to stay that way), but it's my baby.

Those yellow, girder-like blocks that it's almost entirely built out of are called frames. By themselves, they do nothing, but when you add a frame motor (those green blocks in the middle of the second image), that's when great things happen. What a frame motor will do is move a frame one block in one direction (determined by the direction of the frame motor. However, when moved, a frame will also move all frames attached to the original one, and any blocks attached to those.

So, that machine in the picture is actually two parts. There's all the various motors and guts on its base, and the tall arm and mining head, which can dig a good-sized square down into the earth:

kKw6f.png

It takes about 4 minutes to bore from the surface all the way down to bedrock. All the materials that are dug up are sent via pneumatic tube to a group of chests on the machine's base, except cobblestone, dirt, and gravel are filtered out and discarded on the way.

Eventually I'm aiming to get this thing mobile, so I can essentially drive it around from place to place and dig.

There's a good overview of frames here.

Dude, holy shit. You need to make a video of that because I want to see how it looks and sounds while working.

Vlad

Dude, holy shit. You need to make a video of that because I want to see how it looks and sounds while working.

I'd love to, but is there any freeware Fraps equivalent out there?

Also, it's not like it's hugely dynamic in motion. The motors can only push a group of frames a single block at a time, and they're not super-fast. Audio-wise, the machine's pretty much dead silent, amusingly enough. Frame motors are silent, as are block breakers, which are the blocks that do the actual digging. The only thing in the mod that makes any sound that I can think of are things like timers, which are configurable single-tile items that send out a redstone pulse every x seconds. They make a little click every time they pulse.

You can disable the click in the mod's config file, which I did immediately after being driven to near insanity every time I was near my gravel-to-flint converter.

Rapstah

I'd love to, but is there any freeware Fraps equivalent out there?

Also, it's not like it's hugely dynamic in motion. The motors can only push a group of frames a single block at a time, and they're not super-fast. Audio-wise, the machine's pretty much dead silent, amusingly enough. Frame motors are silent, as are block breakers, which are the blocks that do the actual digging. The only thing in the mod that makes any sound that I can think of are things like timers, which are configurable single-tile items that send out a redstone pulse every x seconds. They make a little click every time they pulse.

You can disable the click in the mod's config file, which I did immediately after being driven to near insanity every time I was near my gravel-to-flint converter.

Oh, a shame about the sound. For ambience and feel the motors should at least make a whirr or something to fit in with the rest of the game's theme. Let me know if you find a Fraps equivalent, I'd still love to see it. I just bought Fraps to get rid of the problem. :(

bengraven

I don't know what I'm going to do when they add money to this game.

I do know that when they do, our server is going to get much much more interesting. :)

Vlad

That looks amazing. Might be the first mod I get after Optifog. Hopefully my crappy little laptop can handle it.

I will say, the times I've moved that whole rig around, my framerate has dipped quite a bit. I learned the hard way not to walk around on it while it's moving.. taken the long fall to my death a few times already. Still, using the mod for smaller stuff doesn't seem to make it run any worse than normal MC.

Oh, and speaking of new blocks, looks like tomorrow's snapshot update will have something interesting:

Jeb's Twitter said:
Added a new block that was suggested on reddit 7 months ago. It's very useful! You'll see on Thursday.

Hmmm... here's hoping it's something redstone related.

Rapstah

As far as the game is concerned, everything that isn't a moving entity like animals or falling sand is a block, so he could be talking about literally anything you place.

Stat!

Hey I wanted to thank everyone who keeps answering my dumb questions. I appreciate it. Even if they are the dumbest thing ever.

Anything else I should know? Like /home and teleport?

EVIL

Hey I wanted to thank everyone who keeps answering my dumb questions. I appreciate it. Even if they are the dumbest thing ever.

Anything else I should know? Like /home and teleport?

/sethome
Sets your home at your current location

/home
Transports you to your home

/tpa Username
sends a teleport request to a player.

if you get a teleport request, you can accept it by typing /tpaccept

you can lock chests by placing a sign around your chest and typing [Private], now its only accessible by you. If you want to share a chest with another player, you simply type

[Private]
* don't type anything here, since this is the area where your username will sit on the sign
* Username of the player you want to add

another thing, you can also equip a sign and right click it on a chest and it will automatically attach itself to a chest with the words [private] and your username.

the server has warps, type /warp to see the wars available. if you want to warp to a location, say domecity, simply type /warp domecity

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
New snapshot is out:

http://assets.minecraft.net/12w21a/minecraft.jar

The changelist is pretty good, they really are putting alot into this next patch:

- Removed graphs in F3 mode
- Allowed minecarts on rails to be accelerated slighty while sitting in them
- Added pyramids in deserts (with hidden treasure chests and TNT traps!)
- You can now add a reason when banning people, via
- Changed slime spawning and splitting some
- Added layered snow block to Creative mode item selection screen
- Dispensers now dispense and pick up water and lava using buckets
- Added desert-specific villages
- A few minor terrain changes
- Added a /seed command for showing the map seed
- Added sandstone stairs
- Made the stars slightly smaller and slightly brighter
- Added enderchest (stores contents across dimensions and other enderchests, preserving contents even if all enderchests are destroyed)
- Re-added original golden apple (gives Regeneration IV, Resistance and Fire resistance effects)
- Existing golden apples remain unchanged, except that they lose their glow
- Added trading with villagers (emerald is used as currency, it is currently red but will be green in next snapshot)
- Added emerald ore (currenlty red, will be green soon)
- Changed gravel texture
- Improved boats (they now run straight through lillypads, breaking and sometimes dropping the lilypad instead of breaking the boat)
- Made empty buckets stackable to 16

Not too bad, some nice changes again. REALLY excited about the enderchests.

Stat!

So yeah, I buckled and bought minecraft.

Thanks to all who helped me get started and now I can begin truly building my secret "lair".

spuit*11

Banned
Don't know, I have gotten attached to the red-ish gravel.

I just blew myself up in a pyramid's tomb.

Also the Enderchest is awesome.

Ranger X

New snapshot is out:

http://assets.minecraft.net/12w21a/minecraft.jar

The changelist is pretty good, they really are putting alot into this next patch:

- Removed graphs in F3 mode
- Allowed minecarts on rails to be accelerated slighty while sitting in them
- Added pyramids in deserts (with hidden treasure chests and TNT traps!)
- You can now add a reason when banning people, via
- Changed slime spawning and splitting some
- Added layered snow block to Creative mode item selection screen
- Dispensers now dispense and pick up water and lava using buckets
- Added desert-specific villages
- A few minor terrain changes
- Added a /seed command for showing the map seed
- Added sandstone stairs
- Made the stars slightly smaller and slightly brighter
- Added enderchest (stores contents across dimensions and other enderchests, preserving contents even if all enderchests are destroyed)
- Re-added original golden apple (gives Regeneration IV, Resistance and Fire resistance effects)
- Existing golden apples remain unchanged, except that they lose their glow
- Added trading with villagers (emerald is used as currency, it is currently red but will be green in next snapshot)
- Added emerald ore (currenlty red, will be green soon)
- Changed gravel texture
- Improved boats (they now run straight through lillypads, breaking and sometimes dropping the lilypad instead of breaking the boat)
- Made empty buckets stackable to 16

Not too bad, some nice changes again. REALLY excited about the enderchests.

what what what?
What are those chest doing and what are the pyramids?
wow

Top Bottom