• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

squattingyeti, how do you manage the judging? Texture packs can have a lot of influence on how a build looks. Were the contestants all using the same pack? Or did the judges apply the preferred pack to their game upon judging each building? Or was it a stylistic choice and the contestant had to hope his build looked good universally?
All the pictures submitted were done with the default pack as per the contest rules, then the buildings were paid a visit. I snapped a few shots as well, as in this case sippy didn't take any pictures of that particular room, which was my favorite. So, it wasn't based on pictures submitted, but what they had built. More pics can be found here:

http://www.yeticraft.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64&start=20

FYI, I use Steelfeather's Enchanted Pack

Ranger X

If people are playing in hardcore mode in multiplayer, is the "when you die the world deletes" still applies?
Like, if ANYBODY dies the game ends and the world is scrapped?

Stat!

I've been trying to find this thread. What really interests me about minecraft is the surviving elements mixed with being creative.

I just got the game and I've been trying to learn the basics. I was wondering if anyone wants to start a MP world and I don't know. Some survival aspects? I'm trying to learn and understand the very basics (I've survived the second day with a bed, house, stone axes, etc) but still don't understand things like hearts/food.

So in essence, how does multiplayer work? Can I invite people into my worlds? Can we play and start our own world together?

Anyone want to play with me (someone who doesn't really know what they're doing but can take orders? :(

-Minsc-

I've been trying to find this thread. What really interests me about minecraft is the surviving elements mixed with being creative.

I just got the game and I've been trying to learn the basics. I was wondering if anyone wants to start a MP world and I don't know. Some survival aspects? I'm trying to learn and understand the very basics (I've survived the second day with a bed, house, stone axes, etc) but still don't understand things like hearts/food.

So in essence, how does multiplayer work? Can I invite people into my worlds? Can we play and start our own world together?

Anyone want to play with me (someone who doesn't really know what they're doing but can take orders? :(

For multiplayer you join a hosted server. There is an official NeoGaf server, on the first page of this thread quote the third post. You'll find the server address in there.

Vlad

You can't invite people into your worlds at the moment, but that is something that they're working on. Right now the MP involves someone setting up a standing server (right now Ark is running the main NeoGAF server) that people join and build on.

Also, for reference, hearts and hunger work like this:

Your hearts will regenerate as long as you don't drop under nine hunger bars, and you can sprint as long as you have more than three hunger remaining. Once your hunger runs completely out, you'll start taking damage, with the damage stopping once you're down to a number of hearts based on difficulty level (five hearts on easy, half a heart on normal, and you can starve completely to death on hard).

Also, certain foods will keep you fuller for longer. If you fill up on meat, you'll stay fuller longer than an all melon/cake/cookie diet, for example.

Stat!

You can't invite people into your worlds at the moment, but that is something that they're working on. Right now the MP involves someone setting up a standing server (right now Ark is running the main NeoGAF server) that people join and build on.

Also, for reference, hearts and hunger work like this:

Your hearts will regenerate as long as you don't drop under nine hunger bars, and you can sprint as long as you have more than three hunger remaining. Once your hunger runs completely out, you'll start taking damage, with the damage stopping once you're down to a number of hearts based on difficulty level (five hearts on easy, half a heart on normal, and you can starve completely to death on hard).

Also, certain foods will keep you fuller for longer. If you fill up on meat, you'll stay fuller longer than an all melon/cake/cookie diet, for example.

Wait, the green bars are my sprint, the drumsticks are my hunger, and hearts are hearts. Do I sprint automatically?

I'm trying to find Ark on here in order to become a citizen but I do have a question. So if MP is all in the server? How do I keep my stuff (as in axes, etc?) Does the server have free axes?

Zona

Wait, the green bars are my sprint, the drumsticks are my hunger, and hearts are hearts. Do I sprint automatically?

I'm trying to find Ark on here in order to become a citizen but I do have a question. So if MP is all in the server? How do I keep my stuff (as in axes, etc?) Does the server have free axes?

The green bar is your experience and level, you get it from killing things and can use it to enchant things. Sprint depletes hunger, to sprint you double tap the forward button. Hunger will also slowly deplete when you do, well anything really.

Your inventory isn't carried between servers. Each server and single player world has it's own inventory. You keep your stuff on you or in chests. The server uses a mod that allows you to set a chest so only you can open it. Oh, and I'm sure someone will give you an axe is you ask.

Also, heres Arks Profile.

Stat!

The green bar is your experience and level, you get it from killing things and can use it to enchant things. Sprint depletes hunger, to sprint you double tap the forward button. Hunger will also slowly deplete when you do, well anything really.

Your inventory isn't carried between servers. Each server and single player world has it's own inventory. Oh, and I'm sure someone will give you an axe is you ask.

Oh, that is cool. I didn't realize you could level up. I've been sitting here like a moron trying to figure out what the green bar does.

Sweet. When I entered the server, it looked massive. So many structures.

Dumb question. How big is a play area? I remember someone saying that the XBLA version has invisible walls but the PC version does not. So is it an infinite world? How does one see everything?

EDIT: Thanks Zona. I started at page 1 and went through 5 or 6 pages trying to find him before realizing I only had to go to the previous page.

Vlad

Dumb question. How big is a play area? I remember someone saying that the XBLA version has invisible walls but the PC version does not. So is it an infinite world? How does one see everything?

Hah, give up any hope on seeing "everything" in a MC world. Give it up right now.

Technically, the potential world isn't infinite per se, but the word from the game's creator is that the maximum level size is somewhere around eight times the surface area of Earth. So you could actually just pick a direction and walk for a long, long time and you won't hit any walls or anything.

Dineren

Banned
Just don't do what I did when I first started. I thought it was too much trouble to make food so I just let myself starve until I ran out and then I'd pack everything up and toss myself in lava. It takes no time at all to build up a supply of bread by growing wheat or using the harvester. I have 80 squares of wheat growing and just occasionally gathering it up (which takes no time at all) far outpaces the amount I lose making bread. The hp regen alone is worth it and makes it almost impossible to die to random NPCs.

Granted, it's entirely possible I'm the only person that lazy, but thought I'd give you a heads up just in case.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Just don't do what I did when I first started. I thought it was too much trouble to make food so I just let myself starve until I ran out and then I'd pack everything up and toss myself in lava. It takes no time at all to build up a supply of bread by growing wheat or using the harvester. I have 80 squares of wheat growing and just occasionally gathering it up (which takes no time at all) far outpaces the amount I lose making bread. The hp regen alone is worth it and makes it almost impossible to die to random NPCs.

Granted, it's entirely possible I'm the only person that lazy, but thought I'd give you a heads up just in case.

You're not the only person that lazy, but at least on easy, the lack of sprint and half hearts aren't really that big a detriment that I would just toss myself into lava. Provided you aren't planning on spelunking or traveling much overnight, the lack of health isn't that big a drawback and the inability to sprint is more of an annoyance for travel, but not a huge problem.

The last castle I built was done almost entirely on 0 hunger because I hadn't bothered to set up a proper farm before I began construction. I will admit that full health and regen would have made it quicker to get down from the walls though.

Grinchy

Banned
Even before breeding was possible, I basically only ate cooked beef. Now that you can breed, you'd do yourself a favor if you just bred a bunch of cows with that wheat and kept a ton of beef around. I just like that it fills up 4 segments.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
God Endermen still freak me the fuck out. I just spent like three hours cleaning out a cave complex under my home and I was getting ready to take on what looked like two dungeons right next to each other to stop a flood of zombies and skeletons when I heard an Enderman noise and made a beeline back for safety. I won't be going back down there for a while until I think its gone.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
God Endermen still freak me the fuck out. I just spent like three hours cleaning out a cave complex under my home and I was getting ready to take on what looked like two dungeons right next to each other to stop a flood of zombies and skeletons when I heard an Enderman noise and made a beeline back for safety. I won't be going back down there for a while until I think its gone.

ugh. -.-

i started an ultra hardcore singleplayer game and was mining a stair down, suddenly i hear that noise and my character is pushed forward down the stair. ugh, i think i lost a year of my life.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
gaf needs permament death in some of its minecraft.
beating gaffers to death with my blocky fists seems very cathartic.

defel

You could hide several chests in and around domecity and have a last man standing competition in there. You arent allowed to go outside the city walls, no block destruction and no crafting. That would be awesome.

Ranger X

I think its the NPC with the most scary sound ever. lol

Everytime one appears near me I freak and hit it. Then regret that decision and try to run.

You could hide several chests in and around domecity and have a last man standing competition in there. You arent allowed to go outside the city walls, no block destruction and no crafting. That would be awesome.

Ah who says there aren't already some "hidden chests" in Dome City ? ;)

Well with Dome City all done and dusted it is time for me to turn my attentions to another mega city I think. Not sure if it will be Triangle world or Dodecahedron world yet. However I am pretty sure I will need a hotel for all the slave labour I intend to use in a non-health and safety way. So I built one based on Dubai's Water Discus :-

QCQfo.jpg

zJVhMl.jpg

lCpiul.jpg

nQ77Ol.jpg

Well ok it "sorta" looks like the Water Discus Hotel.

Xun

Ah who says there aren't already some "hidden chests" in Dome City ? ;)

Well with Dome City all done and dusted it is time for me to turn my attentions to another mega city I think. Not sure if it will be Triangle world or Dodecahedron world yet. However I am pretty sure I will need a hotel for all the slave labour I intend to use in a non-health and safety way. So I built one based on Dubai's Water Discus :-

QCQfo.jpg

zJVhMl.jpg

lCpiul.jpg

nQ77Ol.jpg

Well ok it "sorta" looks like the Water Discus Hotel.
That actually looks decent on your texture pack.

On default I just imagine the wool getting soggy. :p

Stat!

So I had been digging for a while near my house and I heard these slurrping noises. Couldnt figure what they were until I was mining and I hit something and there were no rocks below. I look down to see about 30 red eyes of which I think are spiders. I hate spiders.

Now what? Do I go below? Can I hit them from up top?

Rapstah

So I had been digging for a while near my house and I heard these slurrping noises. Couldnt figure what they were until I was mining and I hit something and there were no rocks below. I look down to see about 30 red eyes of which I think are spiders. I hate spiders.

Now what? Do I go below? Can I hit them from up top?

Find lava and drop it down the hole.

Vlad

Anybody else following UHC this season? I'd have to say that the most recent episode was
probably the busiest one I've seen in terms of player deaths

Stat!

Find lava and drop it down the hole.

Dumb question for noob player. How do I find lava? Dig deeper? Can I just pick it up or do I need a bucket (are buckets just for water?)?

I figured out how to make a bow and arrow. I see a fire below as well. I've killed a couple of them but dont know if there are all dead.

Anything else I should know? I have an iron sword but thats about it.

EDIT: I killed about 3-4 but there are still like 3-4 more. So not totally dead yet but Im out of arrows

EDIT2: Holy ****. I just shot an arrow at one that was brown and black it made this weird noise that made me jump. ******* hate spiders. How many will there be? There's a green guy too I think making zombie type noises...? Will these guys die in sunlight should I dig holes for sunlight around them?

Vlad

Dumb question for noob player. How do I find lava? Dig deeper? Can I just pick it up or do I need a bucket (are buckets just for water?)?

Buckets are for both water and lava. You can also milk cows with them. Lava is more common (and found in larger pools) deeper underground, but you can find it pretty much anywhere. Sometimes you'll even come across surface pools of lava.

I figured out how to make a bow and arrow. I see a fire below as well. I've killed a couple of them but dont know if there are all dead.

If that fire you see is inside a little blue cage, then you've found a spider spawner, and they're going to keep appearing out of it until you destroy it (use a pickaxe) or light up the area around it.

If you don't have it already, get armor. If you don't have the iron for a full set, go kill cows until you get enough leather to make whatever you're missing.

EDIT2: Holy ****. I just shot an arrow at one that was brown and black it made this weird noise that made me jump. ******* hate spiders. How many will there be? There's a green guy too I think making zombie type noises...? Will these guys die in sunlight should I dig holes for sunlight around them?

Zombies will burn up in sunlight, but spiders won't unfortunately.

Stat!

Buckets are for both water and lava. You can also milk cows with them. Lava is more common (and found in larger pools) deeper underground, but you can find it pretty much anywhere. Sometimes you'll evencome across surface pools of lava.

If that fire you see is inside a little blue cage, then you've found a spider spawner, and they're going to keep appearing out of it until you destroy it (use a pickaxe) or light up the area around it.

If you don't have it already, get armor. If you don't have the iron for a full set, go kill cows until you get enough leather to make whatever you're missing.

Zombies will burn up in sunlight, but spiders won't unfortunately.

I do see fire inside a little blue cage. And I created a sun light path which killed the zombie. I dropped down and killed everything finding a chest with wheat, a bucket, and string.

That was pretty cool to be honest. Damn, that was tense.

defel

Anybody else following UHC this season? I'd have to say that the most recent episode was
probably the busiest one I've seen in terms of player deaths

Yeh the latest batch of Ultra Hardcore videos were incredibly entertaining. I just hope they dont ruin my finals lol

Top Bottom