• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Gaaraz

Completely random question here guys, but my little cousin just sent me this message:

We are trying to play multiplayer but you have to set up a custom server, after a lot of downloads, messing with my router settings etc, I finally managed to get it working fine and we were all playing together happily. However, After about 2-3 months the server just stopped working for no apparent reason (I might have done something, I'm not sure) and even though I can connect through LAN none of my friends could connect.

I have done rigorous checks and changes to all the settings but still the same error, I've searched forums and websites for an answer but nothing seems to work. What they did tell me though is that its most likely to be to do with my router settings. I've tried re port-forwarding but without success so I really have no idea. I don't know whether you know much on the topic but my dad said there was some software I can install to let you access my computer remotely? Basically do you think you could possibly have a look sometime to see if there's anything you can do to fix it?
I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to Minecraft (only played it once, on the NeoGAF server, and didn't really like it) so I don't know where to start

I'm guessing to host a server, as long as the port is forwarded correctly (which he says it is) there shouldn't be any problems connecting? I could ask if his IP address has changed, I'm guessing Minecraft would want his internet IP, so whatever www.whatsmyip.org will say?

Sorry to ask, but damn, I have absolutely no idea what to recommend to him, and I know he's desperate for some Minecraft

Rapstah

Completely random question here guys, but my little cousin just sent me this message:

I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to Minecraft (only played it once, on the NeoGAF server, and didn't really like it) so I don't know where to start

I'm guessing to host a server, as long as the port is forwarded correctly (which he says it is) there shouldn't be any problems connecting? I could ask if his IP address has changed, I'm guessing Minecraft would want his internet IP, so whatever www.whatsmyip.org will say?

Sorry to ask, but damn, I have absolutely no idea what to recommend to him, and I know he's desperate for some Minecraft

I had to
  • Forward port 25565
  • Give those connecting the IP my router said was my internet IP.
If both those are done and not neutralised by some third setting, then it's very hard to come up with a generic solution.

Gaaraz

Many thanks Rapstah, I've told him to check the port (the correct port!) is forwarded, make sure he's using the right IP address and also to check his firewall settings. Hopefully he can get it working from that

Wired

Ok, I'm officially a sad panda today. When I last played the game about a year ago I had found this totally awesome texture pack that was perfect-in-every-way (as far as I can remember) however after several days of looking I can't find it again... oh if only I had remembered to check the texture folder before deleting the whole minecraft installation. Curses...

So I just went with R3D Craft, it's like Minecraft but better. It'll do.

EDIT:
Do I have to talk to Ark or someone to be granted permissions on the server, don't seem to be able to do anything... :p

Vlad

Well, seeing as how he didn't say exactly what error he was getting, it makes diagnosis tricky :).

Aside from what others have said, did he perhaps forget to update the server software when a new version of Minecraft came out? If everybody who's having issues auto-updated (or installed a weekly snapshot), then they wouldn't be able to connect to an outdated version of the server.

limlark

Wired said:
Ok, I'm officially a sad panda today. When I last played the game about a year ago I had found this totally awesome texture pack that was perfect-in-every-way (as far as I can remember) however after several days of looking I can't find it again... oh if only I had remembered to check the texture folder before deleting the whole minecraft installation. Curses...
No! Describe it to us, and we will find it! What style was it? What resolution? What were some of the most distinctly different textures in it?

Anyway. News from Mojangland: Future updates will involve...

1. EMERALD BLOCKS <3
2. A new block made for adventure maps
3. Shears as an instrument of evil, either by harvesting another new block or the shears themselves doing something new

Xun

No! Describe it to us, and we will find it! What style was it? What resolution? What were some of the most distinctly different textures in it?

Anyway. News from Mojangland: Future updates will involve...

1. EMERALD BLOCKS <3
2. A new block made for adventure maps
3. Shears as an instrument of evil, either by harvesting another new block or the shears themselves doing something new
Cool cool.

I'm still hoping for a new white block sometime soon, something like marble.

bengraven

Still blows my mind that I never realized the squares on top of the crafting table were the crafting interface.

Crafting_Table.png

MackVee

Neo Member
That looks amazing. Love the bat(?)-symbol in the middle.

Oh, that... Yeah, don't know what it is... Copied it from a picture I found on Google image search, was suppose to be a placeholder to see what it looks like until I figured out how best to do this logo.

27697.42638.file.eng.ospreys-logo.213.161.jpg

I just haven't been bothered to change it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
frankly, given how cheap dispensers are and how easy it is to rig an arrow trap, im surprised we havent seen them in uhc

Some of you guys said you wanted to see the portcullis at work, so I got a tiny video together of some of the building process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj0t9nrACyE

Some of the stuff I recorded during my building session didn't turn out good so I didn't include it, which is why it jumps forward a bit. That, and I did this two weeks ago.

Second, if you haven't tried out the new Technic Launcher yet, it's awesome and I might do some videos of that, too. Great piece of work the Technic crew have put together.

-Minsc-

I installed a set stairs up to the opening so it's ready and waiting for an adventure. Sadly though, doing a quick check I noticed this is the mine which is directly below my dome so it's partially explored.

Gaaraz

Thank you Vlad, he says he can connect from LAN so I don't know if the server version is the issue:

My friends can't connect, but I can through LAN. I have also double and triple checked my IP and that isn't the problem, I'll just go and once more check my router settings just to make sure I'm not being thick and looking over something that's obvious.
So it's not the IP, it's not the port forwarding issue, and I don't think it's a server version issue. Agh.

How viable are hosted private servers? I always used to do that back in the day, although I remember TFC/CS servers being pretty costly

Stat!

Hey, I need someone's help if they have a second. May take 15 minutes. I want to move all my stuff to a new location but I need someone to stand around while I warp to them and back.

Also, Deraldin, if you read this, I'm willing to trade my efficiency IV pick axe for the IV Silk touch if you still have it. Let me know.

So I log in to check on my harvester, unaware that creeper damage was on...

Saw that my EXP grinder wasn't working properly and go to fix it and KABOOM!

Yeah...

The Harvester's EXP grinder is closed due to being blown up :p

A small part of my wish was fulfilled I guess!

Wired

Some pics of my current progress:

MyHouse.jpg

So this here is my house as it looks at the moment

MainHall.jpg

A look at the main hall

Farm.jpg

The farm, placing it here may have been a mistake since the noise as driving me mad. Killing all the hens helped though.

Assortment.jpg

Bedroom, living room, kitchen, attic

FrontYard.jpg

The front yard looks like shit since I'm using it to try to figure out red stone

Some pics of my current progress:

MyHouse.jpg

So this here is my house as it looks at the moment

This is awesomeeeeeeeeeee, I love how it looks. Everyone always has these epic fortresses/castles(which there is nothing wrong with that, they're, well, epic) Don't see enough wooden cabins(in this case mansion) Sogood.gif

-Minsc-

So I log in to check on my harvester, unaware that creeper damage was on...

Saw that my EXP grinder wasn't working properly and go to fix it and KABOOM!

Yeah...

The Harvester's EXP grinder is closed due to being blown up :p

A small part of my wish was fulfilled I guess!

The whole creeper damage thing on the Neocraft server is a bit weird at the moment. I have been using my grinder under the Bravo dome and for some reason when a creeper blows up they don't damage it at all. I honestly don't know what is going on.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The whole creeper damage thing on the Neocraft server is a bit weird at the moment. I have been using my grinder under the Bravo dome and for some reason when a creeper blows up they don't damage it at all. I honestly don't know what is going on.

I checked the other day, and creeper damage is still turned off. I then logged into the game and attacked a creeper, and when he blew up no blocks were damaged. I figured something just glitched but probably went back to normal during a server reset or something. But now it sounds like creeper damage is still destroying blocks for people?

I guess I'll do some investigating tonight and try to see whats going on...

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I checked the other day, and creeper damage is still turned off. I then logged into the game and attacked a creeper, and when he blew up no blocks were damaged. I figured something just glitched but probably went back to normal during a server reset or something. But now it sounds like creeper damage is still destroying blocks for people?

I guess I'll do some investigating tonight and try to see whats going on...

It's definitely still on. I have a couple holes in the dirt around my base to prove it.

Stat!

It's definitely still on. I have a couple holes in the dirt around my base to prove it.

Yep. Creeper blew up as Mackaroid and I were fighting it about 10 minutes ago

Big thanks to him for helping me destroy my rail elevator. Im moving to a new place in far far away.

Barkz

Neo Member
Hey guys! Just wanted to say hi. I just recently started playing again and decided to join the Gaf server. My name in game is i2050. Look forward to playing with you guys.

Also Ark you have a PM!

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I loved you Unbreaking3/Efficiency4 Diamond Shovel. Why did you have to go and run out of durability? I haven't finished digging yet! ;_;

Base layout is getting closer to completion, but it's not quite there yet. I've got the footprint for 5 buildings laid out so far, but there are another 4, maybe 5 to go before I can call the layout complete. Then I will have to start working on gathering the actual building materials.

Rapstah

How absolutely terrifying that he imprisoned those villagers to be able to trade with them. Some kind of system where they need food, sleep, love and freedom to trade needs to be implemented before people create basically prisons or internment camps for villagers. :(

Top Bottom