• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Well that sucked. I would have finished one of my buildings tonight, but thanks to a creeper it'll be a little delayed. Needed some brown wool for the pattern so I used the 3 brown dye I had on my sheep. It was a pain fighting past the other 17 just to get those 3 so I built a small temporary pen for just them to speed up my harvesting.

Went really well! Managed to harvest two full stacks of brown wool when a creeper hopped up over the wall. Any of my other sheep. He could have blown up any of my other sheep and I wouldn't have cared, but no. He had to blow up the brown ones. :/

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, going around the old server was pretty nostalgic. We should do a youtube video series on some of the stuff we made.

Yeah it's fun. I still need to map it out so I can find my way around to take some more pics.

I'm hoping that one day the new Neocraft will be available for download too.

Drazgul

Has anyone seen any particularly cool underground bases? Looking for some ideas since I used a few nukes (tekkit server) to blast a decently sized cavern, but now I can't decide if I want to keep the natural stone ceiling, or go for some doomsday bunker style.

(Reposting from the 360 version OT since it seems kinda dead...)

Just want to say that as a non-PC gamer I am finally discovering the joy of this game via the 360 version. I have yet to build anything of note, but my time on Peaceful mode climbing hills seeking vistas, viewing sunrises, cliff diving, boating the coastlines and spelunking/mining a huge natural cavern (for like 2+ hours) has been awesome. Stellar concept. I really should have checked it out sooner given that many of my favorite games are those with a sense of solitude, discovery and narrative minimalism, ie Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Limbo, Journey and, to a certain extent, Fallout 3 or Zelda, etc.

I can see where a near infinite world map and no crafting instructions would add to the wander and discovery, but I am glad to have this version. Big TV and comfy couch are great for my chill play style, too.

-Minsc-

(Reposting from the 360 version OT since it seems kinda dead...)

Just want to say that as a non-PC gamer I am finally discovering the joy of this game via the 360 version. I have yet to build anything of note, but my time on Peaceful mode climbing hills seeking vistas, viewing sunrises, cliff diving, boating the coastlines and spelunking/mining a huge natural cavern (for like 2+ hours) has been awesome. Stellar concept. I really should have checked it out sooner given that many of my favorite games are those with a sense of solitude, discovery and narrative minimalism, ie Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Limbo, Journey and, to a certain extent, Fallout 3 or Zelda, etc.

I can see where a near infinite world map and no crafting instructions would add to the wander and discovery, but I am glad to have this version. Big TV and comfy couch are great for my chill play style, too.

It would be interesting sitting on the couch, with a controller, playing this game. Seeing as I don't have a 360, and the fact I've all ready invested too much to time in the PC version, that won't be happening.

After checking out more of this thread, I feel I may be cheating myself playing in peaceful mode. I've done normal, I just stopped for a bit. I just wanted to take off and go caving with no worries. I across some spawn box areas and it felt kinda cheap to just walk up and grab the loot. Lol

defel

Hopefully someone can help me with this redstone problem. I want to make hidden piston door which has a lever on each side. The mechanics of the piston door is no problem but I dont know which circuits to use to wire the levers. The piston door has an "open" state and a "closed" state. Each time a lever is pulled I want to send a pulse to the piston door which changes the state either from "open" to "closed" or "closed" to "open". At the moment levers send a continuous current so I need to change that into a single pulse. The single pulse is then received by a something which changes state regardless of what the original state is and whether the levers are pulled up or down. Does anyone know the name of the circuit I need?

Hopefully someone can help me with this redstone problem. I want to make hidden piston door which has a lever on each side. The mechanics of the piston door is no problem but I dont know which circuits to use to wire the levers. The piston door has an "open" state and a "closed" state. Each time a lever is pulled I want to send a pulse to the piston door which changes the state either from "open" to "closed" or "closed" to "open". At the moment levers send a continuous current so I need to change that into a single pulse. The single pulse is then received by a something which changes state regardless of what the original state is and whether the levers are pulled up or down. Does anyone know the name of the circuit I need?

It sounds like a similar problem I had and the solution is "sort of" easy. What you need to do is build a XOR circuit between the levers and the object that gets activated by the levers. Have a look at this short video it shows an XOR gate in action :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3YHZkG6xwk

It is pretty simple stuff you dig out a lil cavern put the XOR gate in the cavern on flat ground then lead the switches to where they are on the video and connect the end of the XOR gate up to the mechanism you want activated.

defel

It sounds like a similar problem I had and the solution is "sort of" easy. What you need to do is build a XOR circuit between the levers and the object that gets activated by the levers. Have a look at this short video it shows an XOR gate in action :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3YHZkG6xwk

It is pretty simple stuff you dig out a lil cavern put the XOR gate in the cavern on flat ground then lead the switches to where they are on the video and connect the end of the XOR gate up to the mechanism you want activated.

Awesome, just tested that out in creative and it solves the problem. Thanks!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
After checking out more of this thread, I feel I may be cheating myself playing in peaceful mode. I've done normal, I just stopped for a bit. I just wanted to take off and go caving with no worries. I across some spawn box areas and it felt kinda cheap to just walk up and grab the loot. Lol

I dabbled in peaceful mode back when I bought the game (almost two years ago???) but I just can't stand it anymore. The monsters add so much atmosphere to the game that I really hate playing without them now. Spelunking without the tension of a creeper sneaking up on you just takes all the fun out of it. Exploring an abandoned mineshaft without the possibility of coming across a half dozen poison spiders guarding a chest makes the whole experience just meh to me. And I miss the tension of hearing skeleton noises in the dark and just knowing that at any moment I could get an arrow flying at me. Minecraft without the survival aspect just isn't Minecraft IMHO.

So I was encouraged by a few posts in the Hi Res screenshots thread to show some Minecraft visual mods here in the OT. Here's a basic description of my setup with a few shots to follow:

OptiFine1.2.5 (AA, Anisotropic Filtering):
Optifine Minecraft Thread

JohnSmith Texture pack
-Customizer: Mainly went for the darker texture blocks (dirt, minerals, ores, etc) and warm sand
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...exture-pack-v93-32x-124-with-customizer-0324/

Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders
-The important one. Still a little iffy (the light is present underground as well which may be a dealbreaker for some - I'm a wimp though so I welcome the extra light). I use the Ultra DOF shaders:
Sonic Ether's Minecraft Forum Thread

And that's it so far. Since the shader messes with light underground (not the actual light level, just the appearance) I use What's My Light Level during gameplay as well. I have been trying to get some water textures to work but so far the shaders have conflicted with the lighting mod. Also OptiFine does patch the game automatically to run HiRes Textures so no need to run McPatcher (might be obvious, but it was news for me). Anyways. Here are the results!

a82e410ea3ebd02bdd33cbd150a5a660059f132f.png

2c0da6e3590580dc3c0376e360b3c349ec6e672a.png

f22183e31aa325e049895c597e6960c3398bf66f.png

8d741aad976ade8e724c75c5dabaa068ec73f626.png

stupei

Forgive my ignorance on this one, guys, but I have a coworker who often comes to me with game related questions since I'm the only person in the office who plays really. His 8 year old heard about Minecraft at school and wants to get it, so he was asking me some questions and although I've never played it I obviously know enough to give him a basic idea. He thinks it sounds great but is worried about inappropriate content. He's not very familiar with gaming as a whole and the idea of content being so user driven freaks him out a little -- understandably, given the kid's age.

Are there any servers that definitely keep things family friendly?

edit: And yeah, that does look amazing. I really need to play this game someday.

macewank

Forgive my ignorance on this one, guys, but I have a coworker who often comes to me with game related questions since I'm the only person in the office who plays really. His 8 year old heard about Minecraft at school and wants to get it, so he was asking me some questions and although I've never played it I obviously know enough to give him a basic idea. He thinks it sounds great but is worried about inappropriate content. He's not very familiar with gaming as a whole and the idea of content being so user driven freaks him out a little -- understandably, given the kid's age.

Are there any servers that definitely keep things family friendly?

hard to say really. the servers are all run individually, and it's up to the folks who run them to determine what the rules are.

that said, there's no reason he can't fly solo and build stuff himself?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm considering playing Minecraft again after reading through this thread and seeing some sweet creations...BUT! I have a few quick first.

I haven't played in a LONG time. I stopped playing shortly after they added the Nether. I never entered said Nether. As such, there are a LOT of new things that have been added. Is there a good source of "getting started" info to help deal with the new experience/food/stam bars?

Is the GAF server open to join? And if so, are we allowed/encouraged to mine to our heart's content and build homes anywhere?

Always love me some shaders in minecraft but they come with way too much of a performance hit. I can usually keep minecraft going at 60fps @ 1080p but with the shaders it drops right down to single figure framerates that I hate. Ho well maybe when I upgrade from my crappy GTX260 I could give them another go.

With regards to the family friendly servers, there are probably some out there but god knows where. However you should never forget that minecraft is also a single player game and a great experience for kids (from 4 to 44).

@ nicoga3000 yep the gaf server is open to any Gaf member. You can visit right now (just quote the 3rd post on the first page of this topic to get the server details. Unfortunately until you become a citizen you can only walk around and view people's builds. To become a citizen just fire off a pm to Ark asking to be added (include your minecraft username).

Once a citizen you can mine/build to your hearts content. It is pretty "informal" with the basic rule of "don't dick with anyone else's builds" that is about it really.

As for that Fez pack you can find it here :-

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/546134-fez-by-edgepixel/

Right I am going to pop onto Neocraft for a bit now and see if I can annoy anyone.

Morokh

Left you a like, might help a little with the Docm subscribtion thingy ;) hope others do too !

I really have to get back to the game after my Diablo 3 break, but not finding a proper way to finish the roof of my tower really bothers me xD

and with 1.3 just around the corner ... :p

Left you a like, might help a little with the Docm subscribtion thingy ;) hope others do too !

I really have to get back to the game after my Diablo 3 break, but not finding a proper way to finish the roof of my tower really bothers me xD

and with 1.3 just around the corner ... :p

Thanks, Morokh! Let me know when you hop back into NeoCraft. We'll go on some sort of adventure; I'm hoping to do more videos in my series with, you know, everyone else. XD

Thanks, Morokh! Let me know when you hop back into NeoCraft. We'll go on some sort of adventure; I'm hoping to do more videos in my series with, you know, everyone else. XD

I'd be down with going on an adventure with you. If you haven't done it yet we could run through Pro's temple or one of the mazes I've made on the server.

Oh man... I made my own private server to test something, and ended up playing on it all night... I haven't played MC this long since, uhhh... TouchMyBox's GAF server.

There's just something about starting off new...

Goddamn, my eyes are bloodshot. @_@

Oh man... I made my own private server to test something, and ended up playing on it all night... I haven't played MC this long since, uhhh... TouchMyBox's GAF server.

Haha yeah played some more of it this morning

dang we played on that for like 6 hours straight.

-Minsc-

Finally sorted out the player damage problem with my minecart system. The cause is a fall damage glitch which transfers fall damage received from the cart to the player. This video does a good job explaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrfrql3l-gw

I had my cart dispenser positioned directly above the boost station. Basically the hearts worth of fall damage received by the cart was later transferred to the player once they reached the end of the line. That explains why damage was only received when you took off using the booster.

For anyone interested, this here is the loading/unloading station I used. There is also a track switching station shown in the video which I did not use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D08N8nPzkKY

Haha, I've been playing all day just working on my fortress.

-Minsc-

Hey Charlie, this morning I went over to check the status of the Doom Coaster ticket booth. Once it came in to view I noticed the roof was on fire. As I approached to extinguish the fire it automatically went out. I can't say what or who started the fire, though it seems strange it would extinguish on its own, almost as if the fire protection from a lightning strike was late kicking in (can lightning even strike in the dome?). With creeper protection messed up I wouldn't be surprised if fire protection is wonky as well.

Cheers for the heads up Minsc, just popped on and repaired the damage thankfully it wasn't too bad. I honestly do not know what is going on with that area this is the fourth/fifth time I have had to repair that part of the doomcoaster.

I can't see it being lightening as I have never seen any lightening happen in the dome (it is a fully enclosed space so weather effects don't happen in it). I originally just thought it might be creeper explosions setting things on fire but now I am not sure. So either something really screwy is happening or someone has a pretty crappy vendetta against me for some reason, maybe a disgruntled customer that bought all those Dome City Amusement Park Fun Bucks only to find no one takes them :p

Cheers for the heads up Minsc, just popped on and repaired the damage thankfully it wasn't too bad. I honestly do not know what is going on with that area this is the fourth/fifth time I have had to repair that part of the doomcoaster.

I can't see it being lightening as I have never seen any lightening happen in the dome (it is a fully enclosed space so weather effects don't happen in it). I originally just thought it might be creeper explosions setting things on fire but now I am not sure. So either something really screwy is happening or someone has a pretty crappy vendetta against me for some reason, maybe a disgruntled customer that bought all those Dome City Amusement Park Fun Bucks only to find no one takes them :p

It was me. I set it on fire with my telekinetic powers all the way from the world of wedding preparation.

It was me. I set it on fire with my telekinetic powers all the way from the world of wedding preparation.

Oh that gives me an excuse to go on now and ban you :-D consider it my wedding present to you. After all you won't have time for minecraft when you are a newly wed ;-) nudge, nudge, wink, wink. I am sure you will be farrrrrrrrrr too busy getting up to what most newly wed husbands get up too ... you know washing, ironing, cooking, cleaning and generally being nagged till you start thinking "hm old age and death looks sooo inviting". I have a very warped view of marriage me thinks.

ROFL ok I think we can rule out any malicious intent (nice try crazylegzlu) I just logged on now and sure enough the place was on fire. The only think I can think off is the covered lava pools are setting the wood on fire.

-Minsc-

ROFL ok I think we can rule out any malicious intent (nice try crazylegzlu) I just logged on now and sure enough the place was on fire. The only think I can think off is the covered lava pools are setting the wood on fire.

Same thought I had. Hopefully this is one mystery solved.

-Minsc-

Yo Charlie.

2012-06-12_125311.png

I cleared away the shrubs from around the lava pool. Looks like anything flammable around that lava pool is out of the question.

Yo Charlie.

I cleared away the shrubs from around the lava pool. Looks like anything flammable around that lava pool is out of the question.

Yeah figured that is probably what was happening. I was intending to pop on tonight and convert the place into stone to protect it. I dunno maybe it is me but fire and lava act weird in this version of Minecraft which is the main reason why I never do anything with it.

Yeah figured that is probably what was happening. I was intending to pop on tonight and convert the place into stone to protect it. I dunno maybe it is me but fire and lava act weird in this version of Minecraft which is the main. reason why I never do anything with it.

Fire has a larger vertical radius for spreading than it does horizontal. I forget the exact numbers but I learned this through my video watching on Youtube. So if the lava is under those blocks, even if there's a dirt block between them, they can possibly ignite.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Just wanted to let somebody know, a bunch of signs on a gate near a portal in the Nether were blown off by a ghast. I was looking for a portal to Sky City on my quest to find my original base, and a ghast started following me and shooting fireballs, and the blasts took off several of the signs. I couldn't stick around because I didn't want to die, so I quickly put up one of the signs with a note, then jumped in the portal. The signs gave directions to other portals, but I don't remember what any of them said. Sorry for the trouble.

In terms of eventual updates, how are tripwires and such going to be introduced to the server? Will there be a whole server reset? I haven't been around it long, so I don't know how you guys deal with that kind of thing.

In terms of eventual updates, how are tripwires and such going to be introduced to the server? Will there be a whole server reset? I haven't been around it long, so I don't know how you guys deal with that kind of thing.

Usually what happens is the server gets updated a couple of weeks after the "official" release. The snapshots that Mojang are releasing at the moment are "unofficial" every now and again they do an official release, we then have to wait for the server company to update the server. Traditionally it hasn't needed a world reset and I haven't heard about any new features in minecraft that would require a world reset (but not been following that closely mind you). Either way unless there is something extremely world breaking with the release we tend to stick with the map.

Whilst I am here, there is a bit of a project going on over at Mackroid's place if anyone is interested. He has set up a couple of blank statues for us to adorn with our Minecraft skins :-

Dbmwh.jpg

VW8xw.jpg

H6Zjk.jpg

As you can see a couple of us already have done ours and it would be great to get more people doing this. So if you want to give it a go, head over to Mack's place and claim a blank statue.

Top Bottom