• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

-Minsc-

So I was doing a little experimenting with a mob grinder in SP. I spawned a whole bunch of dudes and they were all casually walking around the sign-laden edges and not falling off. Did they fix that? If so, is there a new way get them to walk off edges by themselves?

I seem to recall hearing that it has been fixed.

Come on spill the beans so I know to spawn a crap load of zombie meat for meself ;-) . On another note I just discovered that my new fibre connection (being installed tomorrow) has different "peak times" to my old connection. So off-peak starts at 8pm with fibre and this means I can get back on the server by tomorrow night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3aDXklzLB4

Villagers will take your rotten flesh and give emeralds.

Ranger X

Guess I'll have to redesign my grinder at the harvester then. Or at least collect all the signs I used in there. That'll be tons of fun :(

If you want a perfect water based mob grinder, I can build you one or help you. That was my preferred way of doing things except for getting pearls from Endermen (wich you had to use falling damage)

I'm still a little fuzzy on how to make mob grinders.

If you are interested there is a simple guide here :-

http://www.kevblog.co.uk/how-to-build-a-minecraft-mob-grinder/

All a mob grinder is, is a self contained area designed for mobs to spawn. You then have a mechanism (usually water) to channel them to a central area. At this central area you can either do what is called a "lava blade" which kills the mobs and you use a water channel to funnel the mob drops to a collection point. Alternatively you can for go the "lava blade" and kill them yourself to get experience as well as mob drops.

Ranger X

However, if you kill mobs with a lava blade or cacti, you will lose a good percentage of the loot. The best way in my opinion in a drowning tube. You have to wait some seconds for the first mobs to drown but you get 100% loot.

If you are interested there is a simple guide here :-

http://www.kevblog.co.uk/how-to-build-a-minecraft-mob-grinder/

All a mob grinder is, is a self contained area designed for mobs to spawn. You then have a mechanism (usually water) to channel them to a central area. At this central area you can either do what is called a "lava blade" which kills the mobs and you use a water channel to funnel the mob drops to a collection point. Alternatively you can for go the "lava blade" and kill them yourself to get experience as well as mob drops.

thanks.

Chuckpebble

I don't know if any such thing exists, but I just recently got an urge to have a mod that makes the day/night cycle real time. Beds would have to be changed so that you could actually use them to set your spawn during the day. I guess you would just lay there in your bed at night time, not doing anything. Maybe it could restore your health and stamina.
Saving at night and playing again in the morning would also present some discontinuity, but eff it. I want some nice endless nights.

I don't know if any such thing exists, but I just recently got an urge to have a mod that makes the day/night cycle real time. Beds would have to be changed so that you could actually use them to set your spawn during the day. I guess you would just lay there in your bed at night time, not doing anything. Maybe it could restore your health and stamina.
Saving at night and playing again in the morning would also present some discontinuity, but eff it. I want some nice endless nights.

I have also thought about this, and I really like the idea.

Ranger X

In the snapshot this week:

■ Added a menu with options for opening your single-player world
■ The multi-player menu now scans for LAN servers (single-player worlds)

■ Villagers will remove trade options after the option has been used 3-15 times

■ Added wooden stairs for the remaining three wood types
■ Corrected Ender Chest storage (no longer whiped on respawning)
■ A lot of smaller changes and fixes

WHY? NERF THE TRADING?? that was so good and was a great incitative to mine and do stuff. wtf.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It all depends what they mean. If the villager will have ability to randomly "relearn" that trading option then I'm fine with it.

I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing the new limit is to "persuade" the player to explore and find new villages full of new villagers to trade with. From a gameplay design point of view, having one village with unlimited trades would essentially equal an infinite supply of goods, forever, as long as you keep mining rubies. Of course, having to explore to fine new ruby sources should be enough to facilitate exploring too.

Eh, I've no idea why they changed that. Strange.

I recently became re-addicted to Minecraft after taking a break for a while. I did start playing a regular world on the snapshot a couple weeks ago but then I decided to finally start delving into mods. I made a new world... this time with IndustrialCraft, BuildCraft, RailCraft, RedPower (with a add-ons for those like Advanced Machines, Logistics Pipes, etc), Thaumcraft, Equivalent Exchange, Portal Gun, Forestry, Iron Chests, and a couple of smaller mods like NEI. I was majorly influenced by DireWolf20's Let's Play Season 4 series on Youtube, I'm not using everything he has but I do have the majority of it.

Holy shit, the game is instantly more crazy than I ever imagined. I'm so impressed with what these mods have put into the game and how well everything just kind of works together. Using Buildcraft to build a quarry, that uses Railcraft to dump items into a chest cart, that travels through a Portal mod portal, to my base where it's unloaded by logistics pipes and then passed through all the IndustrialCraft and Equivalent Exchanges machines only to finally be sorted into Iron Chests so I can later research it with ThaumCraft to build myself magic carpets, lightning swords, and necromancy wands is awesomely satisfying. Won't even get into the fun with RedPower and Portal Gun antics.

It just gives you so much to do and so much to aspire to and spend your resources on. I've barely even touched Forestry outside of bee keeping and am only like 15% through what Thaumcraft has to offer. God forbid I go and install another mod like MystCraft or Doggy Talents.

Mengy said:
I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing the new limit is to "persuade" the player to explore and find new villages full of new villagers to trade with. From a gameplay design point of view, having one village with unlimited trades would essentially equal an infinite supply of goods, forever, as long as you keep mining rubies. Of course, having to explore to fine new ruby sources should be enough to facilitate exploring too.
The villagers learn new trading options as you trade with them, right? I'm assuming after trading for the same thing a dozen times it eventually just removes that one option and another option eventually replaces it. I could be mistaken, I haven't actually played the snapshots much at all.

-Minsc-

I recently became re-addicted to Minecraft after taking a break for a while. I did start playing a regular world on the snapshot a couple weeks ago but then I decided to finally start delving into mods. I made a new world... this time with IndustrialCraft, BuildCraft, RailCraft, RedPower (with a add-ons for those like Advanced Machines, Logistics Pipes, etc), Thaumcraft, Equivalent Exchange, Portal Gun, Forestry, Iron Chests, and a couple of smaller mods like NEI. I was majorly influenced by DireWolf20's Let's Play Season 4 series on Youtube, I'm not using everything he has but I do have the majority of it.

Holy shit, the game is instantly more crazy than I ever imagined. I'm so impressed with what these mods have put into the game and how well everything just kind of works together. Using Buildcraft to build a quarry, that uses Railcraft to dump items into a chest cart, that travels through a Portal mod portal, to my base where it's unloaded by logistics pipes and then passed through all the IndustrialCraft and Equivalent Exchanges machines only to finally be sorted into Iron Chests so I can later research it with ThaumCraft to build myself magic carpets, lightning swords, and necromancy wands is awesomely satisfying. Won't even get into the fun with RedPower and Portal Gun antics.

It just gives you so much to do and so much to aspire to and spend your resources on. I've barely even touched Forestry outside of bee keeping and am only like 15% through what Thaumcraft has to offer. God forbid I go and install another mod like MystCraft or Doggy Talents.

That post sounds insanely awesome. Some day way down the road when I get bored of normal minecraft I may check that stuff out. Right now though there's so much to do as is.

That post sounds insanely awesome. Some day way down the road when I get bored of normal minecraft I may check that stuff out. Right now though there's so much to do as is.

I wasn't even bored of vanilla Minecraft to be honest, I just had to try some of these mods - ThaumCraft specifically pushed me over the edge. Once I saw how cool that was I figured I'd make a world with it and, "what the hell", I'd go all the way and install all these awesome long running mods like IndustrialCraft, BuildCraft, Redpower, etc... I installed a program called MultiMC that gives you a launcher-like GUI to manage multiple Minecraft installs as well as a way to install mods into the JAR without messing with 7-zip or WinRAR.

Now though, I find it really hard to imagine playing Minecraft without mods... I've probably completely spoiled myself but I don't see any reason these mods won't continue to develop, not to mention the infinite amount of mods I haven't even tried yet.

I wasn't even bored of vanilla Minecraft to be honest, I just had to try some of these mods - ThaumCraft specifically pushed me over the edge. Once I saw how cool that was I figured I'd make a world with it and, "what the hell", I'd go all the way and install all these awesome long running mods like IndustrialCraft, BuildCraft, Redpower, etc... I installed a program called MultiMC that gives you a launcher-like GUI to manage multiple Minecraft installs as well as a way to install mods into the JAR without messing with 7-zip or WinRAR.

Now though, I find it really hard to imagine playing Minecraft without mods... I've probably completely spoiled myself but I don't see any reason these mods won't continue to develop, not to mention the infinite amount of mods I haven't even tried yet.

There's the Technic Launcher, too, which comes with a few mods installed and is stupid easy to use. Easy enough I'm considering a Tekkit playthrough in the future for my channel.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhksNvUwaRc&feature

Possibly mentioned already, as this video is about a year old, but some people have/are creating a replica of Middle Earth. The size of the map is stupidly huge. At the time of the video, they say journey time on foot from one side to the other would be about 13 hours. Moria is about 30 minutes into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhksNvUwaRc&feature

Possibly mentioned already, as this video is about a year old, but some people have/are creating a replica of Middle Earth. The size of the map is stupidly huge. At the time of the video, they say journey time on foot from one side to the other would be about 13 hours. Moria is about 30 minutes into the video.

I wonder how things are looking for them now or if they gave up. Did we ever hear more about this?

Morokh

Oh boy, that game ! xD

Had trouble figuring out what to do with the top of my tower, just started to try some things and ideas ended up flowing (but not all of them for the tower)

Btw, who is building that temple in the desert ? that's very good looking !

I also made my first donation this week-end, thanks to the people who bought my crap items on Diablo 3's real money auction house :D

-Minsc-

While not the project I previously eluded to, I'm currently in the Nether building a solid foothold.

2012-06-25_181036.png

Hidden from view is my nether side portal room which mirrors the style of the same room on the overworld. As of yet I have no idea how big I'll build the structure.

Hey guys, I was wondering. If you host a LAN server, using either the existing server program available or the built-in LAN functionality in 1.3, can you do multiplayer with one copy of the game? Or does everyone still need to own their own account.

New episode of NihonTiger on Neocraft! A bunch of you are in this one.

Episode 14 is coming Thursday, which is the last one I have pre-recorded.

I should add, if you want to mic up for any adventures, let me know and we'll figure out when the recording and such can happen. I'd love to have you guys in my videos some more so it's not just me building on my own, lol. XD

-Minsc-

I should add, if you want to mic up for any adventures, let me know and we'll figure out when the recording and such can happen. I'd love to have you guys in my videos some more so it's not just me building on my own, lol. XD

I've eyed up some new caves in my mine to explore. There has never been a torch placed, all new ground. :)

Ranger X

Hey guys, I was wondering. If you host a LAN server, using either the existing server program available or the built-in LAN functionality in 1.3, can you do multiplayer with one copy of the game? Or does everyone still need to own their own account.

Good question. I suppose they thought up something against that. It will be an "online lan" after all. Wouldn't be different than the current online servers security wise I guess (therefore everybody would need their accounts).

Thanks for scratching that itch on my shoulder. Just the spot!

-Minsc-

For some reason I completely missed that part of your post. Strangely enough I had already been thinking about getting a mic set up on my end.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, I believe I have creeper damage blocked again. Looks like Worldguard got turned off somehow. That probably affected some other things like fire spread too. Anyway, it is back on as I'm typing this, and I tested it with a few creeper volunteers and I didn't see any blocks flying about, so I think it's fixed.

Ranger X

Ok, here's some pictures of the huge mob grinder I am currently building in my creative world. I know there's people lately that wanted some insight into how it is done so there you go!

First off, I made it so it's a device that can collect loot and EXP. You simply need to change the mode of use with those levers :)

MG035.png

The levers are activating a piston system. It decides if the mobs are going into the drowning tube or the EXP tube!

MG03.png

This is the drowning tube. Made of glass so mobs are actually sinking instead of trying to swim back up. There's also a cactus at the top to discourage the most stubborn spiders.

MG01.png

This is the tube that brings the mobs into the EXP collecting room.

MG02.png

So, the bottom of the grinder should be a huge pool room that brings all the mobs into one final canal that leads to both tubes. Here's the pool room halfdone, showing the final canal.

MG04.png

Here's the pool when its done. I also got a lighting system for maintenance.

MG05.png

A floor of spawning modules is now been built over the pool room. The spawning "modules" like I call them are 8x8x2 blocks. There's canals in-between all of them in order to bring the mobs into holes (falling into the pool room).

MG07.png

So here's how it was looking from outside a little while ago. I am currently building a second spawning floor.

MG08.png

Not been on much today because I have been busy trying out a new program called "Chunky" it is basically a rendering program specifically tailored to minecraft and it is absolutely fantastic (even if it is written with bloody java). Here is dome city in all it's glory :-

JAIKQ.jpg

QfXUq.jpg

t5M5n.jpg

But who cares about Dome City ? That's old news, it's history, it's about to get eclipsed and made to look like a crappy shanty town boys and girls because there is a new City on the block. It's Future City :-

OOn8Y.jpg

pY976.jpg

Oh and just for giggles here are a couple of other quick renders :-

EAd4j.jpg

k8Lgx.jpg

If you want to give it a go yourself then here are the necessary links :-

http://chunky.llbit.se/index.php?title=Main_Page

The only downside to this program is the long render times. The renders here were only allowed to run for 10 minutes and still look fairly grainy. Apparently for best results you should leave the render going for hours.

Xun

Not been on much today because I have been busy trying out a new program called "Chunky" it is basically a rendering program specifically tailored to minecraft and it is absolutely fantastic (even if it is written with bloody java). Here is dome city in all it's glory :-

JAIKQ.jpg

QfXUq.jpg

t5M5n.jpg

But who cares about Dome City ? That's old news, it's history, it's about to get eclipsed and made to look like a crappy shanty town boys and girls because there is a new City on the block. It's Future City :-

OOn8Y.jpg

pY976.jpg

Oh and just for giggles here are a couple of other quick renders :-

EAd4j.jpg

k8Lgx.jpg

If you want to give it a go yourself then here are the necessary links :-

http://chunky.llbit.se/index.php?title=Main_Page

The only downside to this program is the long render times. The renders here were only allowed to run for 10 minutes and still look fairly grainy. Apparently for best results you should leave the render going for hours.
Looking good.

Glad you avoided taking a photo of my currently shitty roller coaster.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Hey sirs. I'll be lurking around this thread. (And possibly the server) Some of you may recognize me from Civil Wars.

I also fiddle around with many of the popular major content mods, so let me know if you ever have any questions about those.

Top Bottom