• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

-Minsc-

k,i'll store materials for the potion house then i'll get charlie to take it off.

sound good?

Sounds good.

You guys know that the update is August first right?

Cool, I look forward to seeing the update mid-September.

Now for the server, with the current map becoming huge and difficult to work with for mapping purposes and surely other things, and the massive changes in terrain generation and in the game in general, is there any consideration of starting a new map in the near-ish future ? just asking.

That's a tough call as it would sting quite a bid. I, and many are, would lose a ridiculous amount of work (for some this would be the second time. Personally I don't find the current map hard to work with at all. The problem with the current map size I see is being difficult to create the overhead version. I do admit a server reset will have to be done eventually. Perhaps come 1.5.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
•Signs
Stack up to 16 now
Crafting now gives 3 signs instead of 1

SIGNS STACK! Greatest update ever!!!

There are some real nice changes there. Hardcore servers sound like a blast! I'd last about half an hour, lol.

Although, I am dreading all of the server mods breaking on August 1st... o_O

•Boats
Are not broken by lilypads anymore, instead they run straight through the lilypad now, breaking and sometimes dropping it
Are less glitchy and more responsive now
Increased maximum speed
When exiting, players will be moved from the boat
When broken, they drop a boat now

Woah, boats improved. It's a whole New World now!

Woorloog

Banned
MG08.png

o_O Really omnious... If it were made from Obsidian, it'd look like some Dark Citadel.

Unreal... How long did it take to build the city?

Morokh

Do we know more about the villager trading since last snapshot ?
About the thing where they stop trading after a certain amount of trades, is it all the villagers, or the one you traded with only ?

Now for the server, with the current map becoming huge and difficult to work with for mapping purposes and surely other things, and the massive changes in terrain generation and in the game in general, is there any consideration of starting a new map in the near-ish future ? just asking.

I am kinda torn on the issue of having a server reset. The last server reset I was all for it but now thinking back I think we lost way too much. Even today the world we have now isn't close to how fantastic the old world was. I get the feeling another world reset so soon will do more harm than good

Unreal... How long did it take to build the city?

The first dome (entrance dome) was finished on 17th October 2011. The final dome which is the Jungle (Foxtrot) Dome was finished on 6th May 2012. So it took around 8 months to get Dome City how it is now.

About the only thing that "disappoints" me with regards to Dome City is the shallowness of the domes (due to the old height restriction). This is one of the reasons why I want to do a Dome City 2 with proper high domes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
And they are immense too. I actually like the current (normal) size of biomes, gives good variety and I like a regular change of scenery.

Yeah, I want my words to be a bit more like actual worlds...its always kind of jarring for me to walk across a few thousand meters of desert, then a few thousand meters of winter forest, then a few thousand more meters of desert...
Actually, I hope that they'd also tweak how biomes are generated with respect to each other...Winter Forest in particular seems to get plopped down in the most random of places.

I have just loaded our existing Neocraft world into the latest snapshot and everything seems to run fine. However there appears to be a problem with the signs, every single sign is now blank (which is fun for dome city with dozens of directions on these signs).

So if you have anything important written on any signs on the server (such as build dates) then you might want to make a note of them before the update hits sometime in August.

-Minsc-

I am kinda torn on the issue of having a server reset. The last server reset I was all for it but now thinking back I think we lost way too much. Even today the world we have now isn't close to how fantastic the old world was. I get the feeling another world reset so soon will do more harm than good

More than likely due to many people not returning after the reset.

Sarcasm

How can you tell if optfine is working? I have a dual core netbook so I downlaoded the a7 multicore..but want to know how to see if it works or not?

How can you tell if optfine is working? I have a dual core netbook so I downlaoded the a7 multicore..but want to know how to see if it works or not?

Well it should "run better" but if you want to double check bring up the video settins and you will find a whole host of new options you can select courtesy of Optifine.

On another note I just tried the bonus chest in 1.2.7 and I actually laughed out loud. Basically you can start a new world and have the option of a "bonus chest" to help you get started. Well erm they definitely were NOT generous with the bonus chest. All you get is a wooden axe and 3 blocks of unprocessed wood ....... real help that :p

I know this has been said many times before in this thread and even on this page, but holy poop that dome city is amazing. Even more so that it was, for all intents and purposes, built under Survival limitations. I want to join this server just so I can go look around in awe.

I read the op and I didn't see any specific rules or anything (beyond ones that are common sense and don't need to be stated like no griefing and such) and I'd think it would be weird for me to just barge into the server where no one knows me and start poking around and looking at everyone's buildings, so is there anything I should know if I wanted to join up with you guys?

I read the op and I didn't see any specific rules or anything (beyond ones that are common sense and don't need to be stated like no griefing and such) and I'd think it would be weird for me to just barge into the server where no one knows me and start poking around and looking at everyone's buildings, so is there anything I should know if I wanted to join up with you guys?

Nah there are no major rules, it is a pretty laid back place. Obviously we have the standard "don't leave half chopped down trees" and "no single column dirt towers". Other than that just respect the stuff people build and if you use anyone's wheat farms then just replant as a general courtesy.

As for barging in, honestly if you just want to come on and look around but not talk, no one is going to pester you. Usually if someone new comes on and they don't say "hi" I will leave them alone. But it is always nice to have new peeps on the server so never be afraid to say hi, everyone is cool.

If you want to pop on to the server all you need to do is quote the third post on the first page of this topic (server address is there). You can join straight away but you will just be a "visitor" which means you can't do an awful lot except look around. To do more than that you need to be added to the whitelist. Just send a pm to Ark telling him your minecraft user ID and he will add you to the list.

spuit*11

Banned
Seems like it will be a killer update.

As for starting over.

No.

No.

Fuck no.

Last time was a mistake to begin with and probably put a lot of people off playing on the server or minecraft in general. We could cull a ridiculous amount of wasted space on the current map though. Maybe after some cutting, put all neocraft maps in one world, would be nice.

Mengy

I was all for the server reset last time, but at this time I would be completely 100% voting against a server reset. I could see us maybe trimming the map a bit, but I that would be it. I'd rather not have an online map than lose what we've built. And I'm still working on a way to get a new map online, I haven't given up yet.

No, with the changes to world gen and biome data, I see no reason at all to do another reset until the day comes when our map file size is just too big for Multiplay to handle. And we are not there yet. :)

Woorloog

Banned
Sigh... i cannot play Minecraft on this laptop for it crashes this every single time i try to play it. Since Beta 1...8? Something like that anyway, and still does. Might be related to overheating but considering i run the game on powersaver mode (so FPS capped to 40 or so) and have limited maximum processor usage and that many other games don't crash my laptop even if they make it run hot is odd.
For some reason, i don't have any hopes of 1.3 fixing this.

•Pistons
Changed a few things to fight bugs, which now causes them to appear to update slightly slower - some contraptions may require changes to signal timing

I'm going to be a real sad panda if this breaks the blaze grinder on my server. I didn't build it, and the person who did hasn't been around for a couple months. I'm not well versed enough with redstone circuitry to service it myself.

Sarcasm

I just tried out the xbox Minecraft (And fortresscraft but I couldn't figure out what it wanted me to do)...

what is the verdict on the xbox MC? And frotress craft?

Man it runs like butter on the xbox....

Are you talking to me? So I should not buy more points and use my current 300 on FC??

Ranger X was talking about the new update to the Xbox version which is going to hit in about a weeks time. This update will be free for all existing owners of the Xbox version. So if you want to go ahead and buy Minecraft now you can do and you will still get the update.

As for what it is like, I can't really say since I don't own an Xbox. However from what I have read it is a good implementation of Minecraft on the xbox. There are several limitations such as a smaller world and the xbox version currently has way less features than the PC version (hopefully that will change with each new update that are going to be free). On the plus side the performance of the Xbox version is a lot better than the PC version.

Hey guys, I figured I'd post this here since I put it on the internet anyways for my friend out of state to watch. It's a short 15 minute video with a very truncated tour of my current Minecraft map... or more so just my main base of operations. I'm playing Minecraft right now with a bunch of mods. I have pretty piss poor internet so I'm not showing off everything, like all my quarries, mines, and nether to save length/file size and I didn't record voice-over because I'm too lazy to edit it. I did caption the whole video relatively heavily though - that being said, I don't get technical in it just kind of showing off some cool stuff to someone who's a relatively very casual Minecraft player.

http://youtu.be/AHaHMNha4N4

Mengy

Ranger X was talking about the new update to the Xbox version which is going to hit in about a weeks time. This update will be free for all existing owners of the Xbox version. So if you want to go ahead and buy Minecraft now you can do and you will still get the update.

As for what it is like, I can't really say since I don't own an Xbox. However from what I have read it is a good implementation of Minecraft on the xbox. There are several limitations such as a smaller world and the xbox version currently has way less features than the PC version (hopefully that will change with each new update that are going to be free). On the plus side the performance of the Xbox version is a lot better than the PC version.

That is the real dealbreaker for me. I would never EVER pay for the Xbox version, due to the limited world alone. That one aspect entirely kills one of the most beautiful and attractive aspects of the game to me: LIMITLESS EXPLORATION.

Limitless.

For me, the PC version is FAR superior, and quite a different game altogether. I wouldn't play the Xbox version for free, LOL.

789shadow

Banned
Sigh... i cannot play Minecraft on this laptop for it crashes this every single time i try to play it. Since Beta 1...8? Something like that anyway, and still does. Might be related to overheating but considering i run the game on powersaver mode (so FPS capped to 40 or so) and have limited maximum processor usage and that many other games don't crash my laptop even if they make it run hot is odd.
I know that feel bro. My laptop can't play Minecraft at a decent framerate without Optifine, and it's impossible to play on servers. I have to wait until next year to build a PC. :(

Sarcasm

I know that feel bro. My laptop can't play Minecraft at a decent framerate without Optifine, and it's impossible to play on servers. I have to wait until next year to build a PC. :(

How do you correctly install optfine and such? I did it and I log in and the sound sounds like a evil or something (pretty much a fast stuttering) and the FPS I get is no different...unless I am downloading the wrong version..a7 multicore...?

Mengy

I only ask cause MC runs like poop on both my systems.

Minecraft really does push Java to it's limits. It would run SO much better coded in C++. I don't see that happening anytime soon, if ever though. My PC runs it just fine but then its a high end PC, it should. My girlfriends laptop on the other hand, well I have to turn the draw distance to the minimum, and even then it chugs and stutters. And her laptop isn't a slouch either.

789shadow

Banned
How do you correctly install optfine and such? I did it and I log in and the sound sounds like a evil or something (pretty much a fast stuttering) and the FPS I get is no different...unless I am downloading the wrong version..a7 multicore...?
I used Magic Launcher. I stopped playing when Minecraft updated, but Magic Launcher didn't, and I was like "Nope, not dealing with this."

-Minsc-

Yeah.... the zombie pigmen farm Mackroid and I are working on pretty much requires optifine to get anywhere close to it. Much of the frame rate issues appear to stem from the way individual light sources are processed. This is why in the Nether, with all those magma and lava blocks, the frame rate can be crippled. The same can happen in the overworld where there are an over abundant amount of light sources.

789shadow

Banned
My game just slowed down all the time, especially around skeletons. I had to quit a world because I lagged right off a ledge about 100 miles underground.

Woorloog

Banned
That is the real dealbreaker for me. I would never EVER pay for the Xbox version, due to the limited world alone. That one aspect entirely kills one of the most beautiful and attractive aspects of the game to me: LIMITLESS EXPLORATION.

Limitless.

For me, the PC version is FAR superior, and quite a different game altogether. I wouldn't play the Xbox version for free, LOL.

Same console co-op is something you cannot have on PC. Sure, you could play on LAN but it ain't the same. Having played both splitscreen and LAN games, there's just something unique in splitscreen.

That said the limited world does suck, it would awesome to explore a ridiculously large world in splitscreen mode.

Finally mostly finished a building on my server I've been working on and off on for a while, and I felt compelled to drop it here since there aren't a lot of players in my game to see it.

Designed and built by hand in SMP. 99.99% legit.

2012-07-08_051640.png

Eventually it will extend to bedrock.

-Minsc-

Tbh i wouldn't fool with optifine me and artist tried it and it didn't work out for both of us.

in fact it was so bad for him it took him 10 minutes to fully load a screen for his harvester.

I didn't have a good experience the first time I installed Optifine so I got rid of it. When I still had frame rate issues I did a clean install of minecraft which seemed to help a bit. Then I went ahead and tried optifine again, this time it made a huge difference. Try using the standard optifine install, that seems to be the one people have the most success with.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member

Does it crash immediately after loading the world, or only after a few minutes? And does it crash when you try making a new world? And is it the program itself crashing, or the whole dang computer?

Also, I'll suggest the old tech standbys of cleaning out your heatsink and making sure none of your fans stopped working.

Most of the options have explanations if you hover your cursor over the option, and most tell you which ones impact performance. The biggest factors are still the ones that are included in the default Minecraft package, such as draw distance, lighting, and fancy graphics. Advanced OpenGL saves a bit of framerate, but can lead to 'holes' in the ground that you can walk over, especially on the second setting. I also recommend turning the clearwater on, but that's just personal preference.

However, just installing Optifine eliminates several rather computationally expensive processes Minecraft inflicts on your computer. Like writing to the hard drive every two seconds, dynamite processing, and screen updates.

A warning to those who try the non-standard versions: I've been recently experiencing texture corruption after extended play sessions, where mobs would have incorrect textures. Switch back to the standard edition if this occurs for you.

Woorloog

Banned
Does it crash immediately after loading the world, or only after a few minutes? And does it crash when you try making a new world? And is it the program itself crashing, or the whole dang computer?

Also, I'll suggest the old tech standbys of cleaning out your heatsink and making sure none of your fans stopped working.

I don't think it has never crashed immediatly though very fast sometimes. Can play a bit usually. And (usually, i think, it's been some time since i tried it) crashes the whole laptop, usually i get black screen and have to shut down this thing, sometimes Windows just hangs up. Once i could still move the mouse cursor but nothing else worked.

While i think this laptop does have cooling issues, no other game overheats this, at least to the point where this would automatically shut down.
Would check the fans/heatsink (whatever this has) but first i need to get some tools... i have no idea why we don't have basic tools...

Top Bottom