• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Urgh I have been tearing my hair out all day with this damn pigmap in an effort to try and get us an updated map. It just refuses to render Neocrafts map and crashes about 75% of the way through. I have about 10 different maps and it renders them all, hell it even did the old Neocraft map perfectly. However when it comes to the new Neocraft world it crashes.

I get the feeling the only way we are going to get an updated map is if we trim this world. So I thought lets give it a go, fired up mcedit and guess what boys and girls ? that's right the Neocraft world crashes MCedit too (every other world doesn't).

So right now I am at a loss as to what to do.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Urgh I have been tearing my hair out all day with this damn pigmap in an effort to try and get us an updated map. It just refuses to render Neocrafts map and crashes about 75% of the way through. I have about 10 different maps and it renders them all, hell it even did the old Neocraft map perfectly. However when it comes to the new Neocraft world it crashes.

I get the feeling the only way we are going to get an updated map is if we trim this world. So I thought lets give it a go, fired up mcedit and guess what boys and girls ? that's right the Neocraft world crashes MCedit too (every other world doesn't).

So right now I am at a loss as to what to do.

Really? Maybe my problem isn't Technoticus then, maybe it's the Neocraft server files? Although Overworld makes a Neocraft map just fine, but I can't get it below 3GB in size. Yet.

I wish I had more time for gaming over the summer. :(

-Minsc-

If I thought my computer and internet connection would handle it I'd give it a try as well. Sadly neither would be up to the task.

Here's a list of various mapping programs. With luck somebody might get one of them to work.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_editors/Mapping#Mappers

Edit:

Is there an error code you get? Perhaps I could get an answer if I ask around elsewhere.

Oh, this map is rendered using pigmap and it's way larger than neocraft. I can't see the world map size being an issue.

http://mca.tabesugi.net/

Is there an error code you get? Perhaps I could get an answer if I ask around elsewhere.

Looking through the error log this is the error :-

Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=0042DDDB
eax=FFFFFF00 ebx=AE07C010 ecx=00000000 edx=C6A30018 esi=AE07C370 edi=FFFFFFF0
ebp=AE07C5A8 esp=AE07BF60 program=c:\cygwin\bin\pigmap.exe, pid 6036, thread unknown (0x998)
cs=0023 ds=002B es=002B fs=0053 gs=002B ss=002B
Stack trace:
Frame Function Args
End of stack trace

Now for all I know that could be calling me a "transexual ladyboy". I am pretty sure pigmap compiled fine because like I said it renders every other map I have except neocrafts grrrr

How big is the world right now?

If possible I would like to take a crack at it.

At the moment the world map is about 981mbs zipped up and about 1.5gbs uncompressed.

Ranger X

You know, I haven't played Minecraft in three weeks. This is like the longest I've gone without playing Minecraft since I bought it back in alpha in July of 2010. A week of vacationing in the mountains is to blame, followed by a few days at the shore, followed by the Steam Summer Sale and buying over a dozen little games for dirt cheap that I've wanted for years. So I've been playing other "new" games for the past week and having a blast.

But I'm starting to feel the withdrawal symptoms.

At the boardwalk along the shore a few stores had Minecraft shirts and hats for sale, and now creepers are in my dreams again. As I'm playing Orcs Must Die I keep thinking how cool would it be to have a swarm of creepers come through that gate? Or to have some Minecraft zombies put into Plants Vs. Zombies.

I think next week I'm going to hop on the server, migrate to some far off corner of the map, and just build a nice little base from scratch and then go mining and spelunking beneath it for a few days to cure this twitch I have starting up.

When does the new patch come out? LOL, this damn game...

The gigantic patch comes out August first and this is the precise date of my own withdrawal. lol

-Minsc-

trust-me-i-m-an-engineer.jpg

I flattened my old lighthouse today. A new needlessly big and fancy lighthouse is rising up to take it's place.

Mengy

I flattened my old lighthouse today. A new needlessly big and fancy lighthouse is rising up to take it's place.

Not needlessly. There's a need for it. If you look hard enough, there is a need for it.

When I finally get a chance to play next week I'm going to go all dwarf fortress and build a larger than necessary base underground, with maybe a few skylights peeking out above the surface. I feel the need to dig, and mine, and I'm going to breed chickens in every room and hallway so they can wander aimlessly about my underground labyrinth. Just because.

Deadstar

I just jumped into Minecraft. How does saving work in the game? Does it auto save every once in a while? I noticed if I hit escape it saves.

What's the best place to get texture packs and is there one pack that is generally seen as the best, or does downloading those packs ruin the look of the game too much?

I just jumped into Minecraft. How does saving work in the game? Does it auto save every once in a while? I noticed if I hit escape it saves.

What's the best place to get texture packs and is there one pack that is generally seen as the best, or does downloading those packs ruin the look of the game too much?

It saves whenever you quit the world you're playing.

I play with the default pack so I don't have much to say on that part, but you can tweak them a bit, especially Painterly.

Minecraft has a pretty nifty autosave feature. I haven't had to do a manual save ever with minecraft and never lost anything. So don't worry about saving it is all done for you.

Minecraft texture pack sites are ten a penny these days. I usually prefer to get my texture packs from the official minecraft forum here

The two most popular are Sphax BD and John Smith texture pack . However like much in life it really depends on individual preferences. Some totally swear by Minecrafts default textures, others say those that "swear by Minecrafts default textures" are bloody blind and should go to specsavers immediately ;-) (that was a joke) . But the beauty of minecraft is you can try dozens of texture packs and switch between them depending on your mood.

The links CharmingCharlie posted are the best places to get texture packs.

However, if you are going to install an "HD" Texture Pack like the 64x, 128x, 256x, or 512x version of Sphax PureBD Craft for example you are going to need to modify your game client so it doesn't glitch out. Your best bet would be to simply install a mod like OptiFine (you can follow the instructions on that thread) - this mod also provides a plethora of additional graphic settings as well as an in-game FPS boost. Alternatively you can use MCPatcher to mod your game so to have HD Texture support - it's a little more straightforward and doesn't add all the options to the game but if you ever plan to use other mods you'll likely run into more compatibility issues than you would with Optifine.

-Minsc-

I use R3D.Craft. At a quick glance it looks just like the default texture pack (though the glass blocks/panes are made less obtrusive). Upon closer inspection you'll see it's a high resolution version of the default pack. When I build I like making everything look good on the default pack. R3D.Craft allows me to do that while having some extra graphical detail.

Since you're new to the game I fully recommend installing the Optifine (standard) mod. It will give you greater controll over the graphical settings and give an overall preformance boost.

Edit: What Houston said.

Not needlessly. There's a need for it. If you look hard enough, there is a need for it.

When I finally get a chance to play next week I'm going to go all dwarf fortress and build a larger than necessary base underground, with maybe a few skylights peeking out above the surface. I feel the need to dig, and mine, and I'm going to breed chickens in every room and hallway so they can wander aimlessly about my underground labyrinth. Just because.

There is my own inner need to do so. It's as you say, "just because".

You know, for being "Ark's Server" there has been a severe absence of this "Ark" person. Let the egging commence.

Pfft you still believe in a mythical being called "Ark" we don't sit in caves around fires any more you know. There was a time when we needed to create fables surrounding the mythical figure of Ark now days science can explain pretty much everything. You should embrace Arkeism, become an Arkeist now.

In short Ark does not exist and may Ark remove my mod powers if that isn't the case :p (note : I am off to go and spawn myself a crapload of diamond and hide it, just in case Ark does exist and tries to show off his godly powers which he erm does not have cos he doesn't exist).

Ark

You know, for being "Ark's Server" there has been a severe absence of this "Ark" person. Let the egging commence.

I haven't really played since beta ended, at the time college was taking up too much of my gaming hours to satisfy my Minecrafting needs, but even now that college is over, I have to admit I've really just grown bored of Minecraft. I've been playing a lot of League of Legends over the last year and I picked up a number of great single-player games in the Steam Summer Sales that I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of.

I never labelled the server as mine either, I always said it was your guys' server, I was just the person that took initiative too start up a NeoGAF-centred server when there wasn't one. And when I did become more of a ghost rather than a player I offered to hand over most of the server running to Mengy and Charlie, who both seem to have done a great job so far.

I might hop on a few times this summer (how many times have I said that before?), but I just don't know what I want to build any more, haha. I have to be honest, I do miss the old map before the 'Great Reset'. Arkyoto was my favourite place in Minecraft :(

I haven't really played since beta ended, at the time college was taking up too much of my gaming hours to satisfy my Minecrafting needs, but even now that college is over, I have to admit I've really just grown bored of Minecraft. I've been playing a lot of League of Legends over the last year and I picked up a number of great single-player games in the Steam Summer Sales that I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of.

I never labelled the server as mine either, I always said it was your guys' server, I was just the person that took initiative too start up a NeoGAF-centred server when there wasn't one. And when I did become more of a ghost rather than a player I offered to hand over most of the server running to Mengy and Charlie, who both seem to have done a great job so far.

I might hop on a few times this summer (how many times have I said that before?), but I just don't know what I want to build any more, haha. I have to be honest, I do miss the old map before the 'Great Reset'. Arkyoto was my favourite place in Minecraft :(

This man knows what's up.

Deadstar

Thanks for all the tips! I will check it all out. Is there a preferred way to use a 360 controller in minecraft? I think that crafting feels better on the mouse but using the triggers on the xbox version of the game to break stuff feels pretty good.

Thanks for all the tips! I will check it all out. Is there a preferred way to use a 360 controller in minecraft? I think that crafting feels better on the mouse but using the triggers on the xbox version of the game to break stuff feels pretty good.

I believe the PC version of Minecraft does not support controller usage, it's primarily designed to be played with a mouse and keyboard. You can get minecraft working with a controller but you need to use a program such as xpadder or joy2key to get it working.

Mengy

I still think we should rebuild Arkyoto. I never really did get to build anything there other than a little public garden.

My favorite place on the old server is Booty Bay. I just loved the feel of that entire place. The setting, the architecture, the community mine, the church, the docks, the lighthouse.

But then, our jungle town on the new server kicks all kinds of ass too. Actually, the new server really has a lot of great stuff on it. The biggest thing I miss are the huge community projects from last year, but then the server was much busier then too.

I have some project ideas and I will happily help with Arkyoto 2.0. I want to build a massive feudal-era castle once my current fortress is to a point I'm content with.

-Minsc-

Ark: We be grateful you've given us a world to call home. :)

I still think we should rebuild Arkyoto. I never really did get to build anything there other than a little public garden.

My favorite place on the old server is Booty Bay. I just loved the feel of that entire place. The setting, the architecture, the community mine, the church, the docks, the lighthouse.

But then, our jungle town on the new server kicks all kinds of ass too. Actually, the new server really has a lot of great stuff on it. The biggest thing I miss are the huge community projects from last year, but then the server was much busier then too.

Was I correct in hearing that in 1.3 you'll be able to use server commands in single player? A "teleport to coordinates" feature would be quite handy in the old map. I have no clue where to go so I always lose motivation to explore the place. A list of coordinates to notable places would be quite handy. Did someone post a link a render of the old map a while back? I seem to recall there being one. My favorite thing I've seen on the old map so far is the Optimus Prime. When I saw that come in to view I was like "Yeah.".

There's enough of us posting in the thread here. I say we'd be able to pool people together to work on a community project. There's the cloud build I started working on. When get to seriously working on it I was considering recruiting help. A plan in my head is to have numerous clouds. Building all the clouds on my own seems like a daunting task, figuring out what to build on them seems even more daunting. Perhaps I shall call it Cloud 9.

Edit:

Oh yes, speaking of Neolulu a returnee to the server is making a rather impressive addition to it. ;)

So how much does this game cost? :)

It costs a thirst for survival and adventure. It costs a sense of satisfaction from tearing down the world around you and bending it to your will, block by literal block. I gotta stop reading this thread or I'll end up spending my assignment time on building another lighthouse.

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
I don't think this has been posted yet, but it looks like SMP just released a new sci-fi themed texture pack aimed towards map makers. His post is toting at a "total conversion texture pack" for people looking to create science fiction-themed adventure maps and builds. Worth checking out if you're a fan of his other texture packs, so just click here to check out all the details on his post on MinecraftForum. He's got a good deal of pictures in the initial post, but if you'd rather not have to go to the thread itself, here's a link to a gallery of all the screenshots from his post.

It's been a while since I've jumped on Minecraft to do anything besides check out how it ran on my new machine, but I'll be messing around with this in the next few days and see if I can get any ideas for a themed build.

Morokh

I really hope we can do more 'community' projects like this one, because I really enjoyed it :D

Going on a' Jungle hunt' as I was alone on the server on a Saturday morning, finding it, connect it to the nether-road network, then see everyone rush there as i was building the nether road leading to it, and see them start building like it's their last day on this Minecraft earth ...

Fun times :)

As for Arkyoto, i'm all in for a Neo-Arkyoto, it was one of the places I really loved when taking a look at the old server backup :p

But first, now that I stockpiled enough materials with my sand/gravel generator for my next project, and that I re-did my storage room I must complete my home tower ! it has been left unfinished for way too long !

-Minsc-

The exterior of my lighthouse is nearly finished, I just have to gather a few more materials. I will need to make a manual override for the "revolving light". As you get farther from the lighthouse the redstone lamp textures do not update. My plan is to have a switch that will lock all the lamps on so it'll look good for distance viewing. If a person wants to see the lighthouse in action, all they have to do is flip a switch then sail around the island and enjoy the show.

Morokh

I was trying things in creative mode, recreating the top level of my tower, and came up with something like this, that I quite like, but i'm still not really sure about it, so i figured i would ask you what you think of it.

It's my biggest build so far in the game and I'm not really comfortable with planning such big builds yet.

I did a quick montage to see how it would actually look on the entire tower :

HrLgk.jpg

The top of the 'windows' are one or two block higher than the old sky limit.

This will be my 'living' area, with enchanting / brewing, a bedroom and some fancy looking things.

If done like that, the central part of the tower may continue higher to make a balloon landing platform, or integrate a small mob spawner just to collect items (even if it won't be optimal because of legacy's huge island not far), then I'll tidy up some details, bring the water elevators up to the last level and maybe add a mine-cart based one in the back with a similar look.

I also recently re-did my storage room that is underground and expanded my 'technical level' where i have some little Redstone contraptions if some of you are curious.

-Minsc-

I was trying things in creative mode, recreating the top level of my tower, and came up with something like this, that I quite like, but i'm still not really sure about it, so i figured i would ask you what you think of it.

It's my biggest build so far in the game and I'm not really comfortable with planning such big builds yet.

I did a quick montage to see how it would actually look on the entire tower :

HrLgk.jpg

The top of the 'windows' are one or two block higher than the old sky limit.

This will be my 'living' area, with enchanting / brewing, a bedroom and some fancy looking things.

If done like that, the central part of the tower may continue higher to make a balloon landing platform, or integrate a small mob spawner just to collect items (even if it won't be optimal because of legacy's huge island not far), then I'll tidy up some details, bring the water elevators up to the last level and maybe add a mine-cart based one in the back with a similar look.

I also recently re-did my storage room that is underground and expanded my 'technical level' where i have some little Redstone contraptions if some of you are curious.

To me the red wool roof feels a bit out of place. Though if you want a red roof there isn't much else you can do. Just as with my barn, I'd rather not have used wool for the walls. Aside from that little detail, which is a limitation on the part of minecraft, it looks great.

Morokh

To me the red wool roof feels a bit out of place. Though if you want a red roof there isn't much else you can do. Just as with my barn, I'd rather not have used wool for the walls. Aside from that little detail, which is a limitation on the part of minecraft, it looks great.

And it was even worse without the obsidian outline :p

That's my issue with this too, but every other color looks even crazier, and if you go with the lighter colors it's just too dark/dull looking.
Green kind of works but it's a little bit too much of the same color overall.

I made another segment with stone bricks/nether bricks, it kind of fits the overall build a little better but there is a clear lack of contrast.

(perspective is a little off, but you get the idea :p )

o2Ib7.jpg

(maybe with vertical stripes ?)

I thought trying wood, but i can't imagine it very good looking either with any of the 4 colors available.

Hard choice, this one xD but i have a little time to decide .. i'm out of obsidian ...

I think the red on top looks great; it gives some good colour contrast to the structure overall and makes it stand out - with an all-grey roof it all blends into grey/green of the rest of of the building a bit too much. That's my take, anyhoo :)

My 2c: The roof shape looks a little ominous, and the red makes this more so - all in contrast to the circular 'eco' look of the lower rings. It might look less harsh without the 'wings' on top.

The top is a cool design in and of itself though, but I really like the lower rings, it looks like a futuristic farm tower like you see in TV shows about future buildings and their use for growing local produce etc :)

bengraven

Let's make this happen somehow.

Morokh

Thank you for your comments :)

I think i'll go with the red anyway, but with little changes here and there.
The sea level floor already has a floor and roof made of red wool but from the outside you can't really see it.

The roof may look better if i figure out how to make a 'dome' shape of the different sections.

I'll try to change the wood fences into nether brick fences, because the original idea was to have a sort of dark-ish tower (that's why the inner circle is built with bricks and nether bricks), with a little bit of everything at hand, and it's quite clear that the 'garden' levels give it a really different feel as it is.
I may consider an obsidian outline on every level but that may prove to make things too dark, i'll have to see.

The wooden platform may also change from wood to stone half slabs with some kind of pattern in it for a less 'natural' look and the possibility to add little touches of red.

Only keeping the grass in the animal fences and changing everything else to nether bricks, or stone bricks (mixing the two a bit) could also work, and when 1.3 hits depending on mob behaviour i'll remove every fences and just keep the doors.

And I still have some lighting work to do (really hope they don't make changes in piston lighting in the near future ... :p)

Now just a little question, can someone explain to me the word 'ominous' just to be sure of the translations i found, because it's not the first time I see it used to describe something in Minecraft.

Xun

It'll be nice to get those community projects back.

Now just a little question, can someone explain to me the word 'ominous' just to be sure of the translations i found, because it's not the first time I see it used to describe something in Minecraft.
Ominous just means the feeling that something bad might happen. Like you walked in to a large, dark room and it made you feel uneasy or spooky!

-Minsc-

Back in the Past - Mackville

Since the map render will be updated sooner or later I figured it would be a good idea to snap some pics of builds from an earlier time in there development. Quite a bit has changed in since the release of 1.2 on the server.

Mackville.png

Back in the Past - Mackville

Since the map render will be updated sooner or later I figured it would be a good idea to snap some pics of builds from an earlier time in there development. Quite a bit has changed in since the release of 1.2 on the server.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j372/Minsc007/Minecraft/2012July30/Mackville.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh God, my fortress is just going to be ... like ... one tiny tower. I've built everything in it since 1.2's release.

Top Bottom