• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

You might want to whack that through the 3D renderer called Chunky, I bet you will get some impressive scenes from it (seriously Chunky is dead easy to use and you get some gorgeous results).

Now onto the matter of the Neocraft map ........... (someone hand me a gun). Ok me and Minsc have been ping ponging ideas back and forth all day. He was able to get pigmap to work properly on his Mac whereas I couldn't get it working properly on the PC (damn discrimination if you ask me). Anyway I spend the past couple of hours tinkering around with pigmap and I FINALLY got a fully rendered map and it has been uploaded.

Now before you click on the link there are a couple of points to keep in mind. Firstly the map is now 180 degrees opposite to the Tectonicus Map, this is down to pigmap and there is nothing I can do about it. Secondly there is no "most visited" data on the map, it is just a basic isometric map of Neocraft I am afraid.

At the moment I am using the Sphax BD texture pack to create the blocks, but if anyone has any suggestions for a texture pack that would be better suited to the map then feel free to suggest alternatives.

Now without further ado I give you the Neocraft map :-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18837300/world/Neocraft-default.html

Let us know if you have any problems.

P.S Mengy you might want to give pigmap a go it managed to render this world and came in at about 1.5gbs. If you need info on how to set it all up I can pm you.

From this angle you can see our old friends in the amusement dome, also using this texture pack with the map makes it looks like someone shit on the dome glass.

Ranger X

Did you guys noticed that the shunks are generating/loading slower now since the lastest update? Is there any way to speed this shit up? I can't even move fullspeed while flying in create mode, this is tedious for exploring to have to wait for shit to load in. Some parts of chunks even have visual problems until I get near them.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
You might want to whack that through the 3D renderer called Chunky, I bet you will get some impressive scenes from it (seriously Chunky is dead easy to use and you get some gorgeous results).

Now onto the matter of the Neocraft map ........... (someone hand me a gun). Ok me and Minsc have been ping ponging ideas back and forth all day. He was able to get pigmap to work properly on his Mac whereas I couldn't get it working properly on the PC (damn discrimination if you ask me). Anyway I spend the past couple of hours tinkering around with pigmap and I FINALLY got a fully rendered map and it has been uploaded.

Now before you click on the link there are a couple of points to keep in mind. Firstly the map is now 180 degrees opposite to the Tectonicus Map, this is down to pigmap and there is nothing I can do about it. Secondly there is no "most visited" data on the map, it is just a basic isometric map of Neocraft I am afraid.

At the moment I am using the Sphax BD texture pack to create the blocks, but if anyone has any suggestions for a texture pack that would be better suited to the map then feel free to suggest alternatives.

Now without further ado I give you the Neocraft map :-

Let us know if you have any problems.

P.S Mengy you might want to give pigmap a go it managed to render this world and came in at about 1.5gbs. If you need info on how to set it all up I can pm you.

Good job Minsc and CC! I've tried Pigmap a few times but couldn't get it to work right. Minsc sent me an email and I'm going to try it again. I'm still hoping to get Overviewer to create a map under 2GB for me, I'm pretty sure I can get it there with some work.

Once summer dies down a bit I'll have more time.

-Minsc-

Good job Minsc and CC! I've tried Pigmap a few times but couldn't get it to work right. Minsc sent me an email and I'm going to try it again. I'm still hoping to get Overviewer to create a map under 2GB for me, I'm pretty sure I can get it there with some work.

I'll have to take a stab at overviewer as well. Putting enough heads together we should be able to figure something out.

Little question : What do you use to edit your videos ?

Believe it or not, for the moment ... Windows Movie Maker. :x Trying to save up for Sony Vegas, though, because I use that at work and I know there's a lot more I can do with that than WMM.

But I still seem to be able to get the most out of WMM and it processes stuff in 720p HD (which is probably the most it needs to be for YouTube), so I'm ok with it for the moment.

Did you guys noticed that the shunks are generating/loading slower now since the lastest update? Is there any way to speed this shit up? I can't even move fullspeed while flying in create mode, this is tedious for exploring to have to wait for shit to load in. Some parts of chunks even have visual problems until I get near them.
I just updated right now and noticed this too.

The last time I played I was looking at where to build something so that I'd still have another construction in the distance in view, after updating I was in the same spot, but I could no longer see the building until I moved closer, so I think the view distance has changed.

Morokh

For the chunk loading issue, one thing that helps is changing your view distance to 'Normal' if you have it higher.

Testing the beta version of Optifine for 1.3 seems like it's going to help a lot too.

Believe it or not, for the moment ... Windows Movie Maker. :x Trying to save up for Sony Vegas, though, because I use that at work and I know there's a lot more I can do with that than WMM.

You can't go too wrong with Windows Movie Maker, it may be a bit lacking in features but it is easy peasy when it comes to using it. I use WMM for all my Mass Effect videos. I have tried other editors but I tend to get too bogged down in all the fantastically wonderful advanced features that I don't actually need.

:-D yeah I should've said that this map I have produced is temporary till you can get something more suitable sorted out. I will keep updating this temp map at least once a week (probably every weekend because my net is unmetered during the weekend).

Mengy is there anyway to add a compass graphic to these maps or is it something Tectonicus automatically did ?

Speaking of the map I just did a new render using the R3Dcraft texture pack (as suggested by Minsc) it looks a bit better and the domes no longer look as if someone took a shit on them as Crazylegzlu eloquently put it :p :-

-Minsc-

Mengy is there anyway to add a compass graphic to these maps or is it something Tectonicus automatically did ?

I've seen a pigmap render which has a compass, coordinates, portal locations, etc. I went and sent off some questions so hopefully I get a useful reply.

Edit: There is a way to do incremental updates Charlie. That way it only updates sections of the map which have changed.

For the chunk loading issue, one thing that helps is changing your view distance to 'Normal' if you have it higher.

Testing the beta version of Optifine for 1.3 seems like it's going to help a lot too.
I had it on 'far', changing it to 'normal' just made it even less for me.

Ranger X

It won't load faster because my draw distance is smaller, I already run the game easily so... there really is something with the chunk loading now. Probably because we play in an 'online' instance now even if in single player mode.

Mengy

A lot of people are seeing the same issues with framerates. I've read a few posts saying that pressing F11 to run in fullscreen mode makes it go away. I haven't updated to 1.3 yet myself so I haven't tested it.

legacyzero

Banned
A lot of people are seeing the same issues with framerates. I've read a few posts saying that pressing F11 to run in fullscreen mode makes it go away. I haven't updated to 1.3 yet myself so I haven't tested it.

That's the very same Issue I'm having without 1.3.

F11 fixes it. It used to not do that before 1.2. weird.

spuit*11

Banned
Mengy could you make a top-down map as well? Offline is fine. 1 block = 1 pixel scaling would be preferable.

Also, this new map is looking really nice, very clean.

legacyzero

Banned
I have begun working on my mystical floating dungeon island at Sky City. It's going to be amazing when I'm through after a while. it'll be nice to have something built on a huge scale where somebody can go to adventure, experience danger, and reward.

iqHcUNKBHLOSn.jpg

ifg90JKbaSrWF.jpg

Ranger X

It's not the framerate the problem. I run the game way over 60fps on my PC. It really is just the chunks loading slower now.

Actually there's a way to speed things up a little. Turn the Snooper off. It did help a bit for me.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

Darn it! Now my base is oriented the wrong way for the map.

Still nice to have the updated version though so we can see all the new stuff.

Re: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35664060#post35664060

After months of being on hold, I finally continued the Mineshaft build by starting the task of decorating it. First up is the carving of the pillars surrounding the area.

WIP pics (antialiased):

minecraft_mineshaft_2mesem.png

minecraft_mineshaft_2fucvi.png

Current blueprint of the bottom area:

minecraft_mineshaft_w6hulb.png

Enlarged version: http://www.abload.de/img/minecraft_mineshaft_wemuu8.png

That is pretty amazing, unfortunately my greatest accomplishment has been making a huge pyramid in the middle of a norse village.

I'm trying to load up the old server world from Jan 2011, but it's not showing up. I know it has to be converted, but, the world file's not even appearing in game to select it and convert. What do? :(

And yes, it's in the right folder.

PS: Looking in the 'players' folder... All those old names from the server of old :((

Mengy could you make a top-down map as well? Offline is fine. 1 block = 1 pixel scaling would be preferable.
I had a look around and the only program I could find that would do this is called Topographer. I did try it but unfortunately it crashes when I try to map the New Neocraft server.

I redid the PotionHouse warp (Sorry, cuz). :p

I would like to point out that at no point whilst this was happening was I present, I was absolutely and totally nowhere near the server when Artist did this. If you don't believe me I can easily fabricate an alibi to prove it :p .

Darn it! Now my base is oriented the wrong way for the map.
I could always rotate your base on the map, should only take about 3 or 4 server crashes to do it. I miss crashing the server it has been at least 24 hours since I crashed it. This is just temporary though. Unlike me, Mengy actually knows what he is doing, I just prod things on the keyboard and hope they work.

I'm trying to load up the old server world from Jan 2011, but it's not showing up. I know it has to be converted, but, the world file's not even appearing in game to select it and convert. What do? :(

Just tried here and the old neocraft world does show up for me in 1.3.1 (even says it needs converting). About the only thing I can suggest is redownload the map again ? Here is the link if you want to give it a go :-

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18837300/world.zip

I think this map is before NeoCraft. :S

:-O liar there was nothing before Neocraft, it was an empty void of nothingness, you heretic you will burn for your infidel lies. I dunno next you will be telling me the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Any chance you can roll back your copy of minecraft to an earlier version ? I know I have come across this problem myself. Every now and again someone will release a cool redstone machine and I will download the world to see how it all works. Now sometimes that world will not show up in the world list. Never really found a solution I usually just go "meh" and move on.

-SD-

Banned
Yeah, still down...

I could play SSP offline but since offline and online game statistics are different, I won't.

Currently experimenting with Chunky. It's kind of clunky and slow to use when you just want to set a good lighting on a pic.

So I've been playing this game for well over a year now. Mainly, the vast majority of my playthroughs have involved collecting diamonds, gold, and glowstone.

The creation aspect of this game has never really crossed my mind, but I would like to know when it's suitable to begin building houses and structures, etc...

Keep in mind that I have half a small chest of stacked diamonds, as well as glowstone. I really don't want to begin investing in building stuff only to find out that I'm seriously lacking in resources.

I'd like to learn how to enchant items now that xp is more easily gained, but I don't feel like wasting it all on tool and armor upgrades when I can't even read the rune texts on the enchantment table.

Please help.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's been almost 2 years since I bought the game. Doesn't seem that long ago. To think that back then the worlds were still fractal-based and biomes didn't even exist. No pumpkins. No NPC's and villages. No Endermen or End or even Nether. I remember building my first portal to the Nether. Memories.

Now let me log in so I can play again, dammit!

I'd like to learn how to enchant items now that xp is more easily gained, but I don't feel like wasting it all on tool and armor upgrades when I can't even read the rune texts on the enchantment table.

Please help.
Doesn't matter. The words are random and don't have anything to do with what powers you get. It's all completely random and enchantments are selected from a pool of available options based on how many bookshelves you have near the table. Look it up on the Wiki. It can explain better than I can.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Enchanting

Mengy

Well, victory at last!

I've uploaded a new server map for Neocraft. The address is now a bit different, here is the new one:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Server Files/index.html

The address changed because this is a map made in Overviewer, not Tectonicus. It is the overworld only, I had to take the cave layer out in order to make the file size fit. I'm going to do more experimenting though, if I can shrink it down a tad more then I may be able to add the caves back in at a later date. Also, Overviewer does not show people locations like Tectonicus did. The plus side though is that Overviewer can zoom in closer, and it seems to load better too in web browsers.

If anyone has any problems let me know.

Currently experimenting with Chunky. It's kind of clunky and slow to use when you just want to set a good lighting on a pic.

Chunky isn't your only option, if you have a bit more brain power than me you could investigate using mcobj in combination with blender. The way it works is that mcobj lets you select the area you want to render and makes it "importable" into blender. Then blender does the rendering, letting you set up the camera and lighting. It will certainly produce faster and better results than chunky but you need to know what you are doing with blender.

If you are interested in giving it a go then here is a tutorial on how to do it :-

http://geeklob.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/minecraft-blender-and-mcobj/

The creation aspect of this game has never really crossed my mind, but I would like to know when it's suitable to begin building houses and structures, etc...

Keep in mind that I have half a small chest of stacked diamonds, as well as glowstone. I really don't want to begin investing in building stuff only to find out that I'm seriously lacking in resources.

Well there is no hard and fast rule. Basically the way I play the game is build up a couple of chests full or material and then start work on my project. Whilst I am working on the project if I run out of materials then I do a bit more digging and foraging. It works out quite nicely and gives you a break from both creating and mining. First up though you will probably want to set up a small farm to give you access to basic foods (maybe even a tree farm for wood) and get a couple of sheep pens so you can farm wool and die it different colours for your build.

Well, victory at last!

I've uploaded a new server map for Neocraft. The address is now a bit different, here is the new one:

YEAHHHHHHHH how about that, nowt like a bit of competition to kick your arse into gear eh ? ;-) Only have two questions how big is it ? and how long ? and by that I naturally mean "how big is the map file size wise ?" and "how long did it take to render it ?"

Anyway everyone go back to using Mengy's map it's better than mine.

Mengy

YEAHHHHHHHH how about that, nowt like a bit of competition to kick your arse into gear eh ? ;-) Only have two questions how big is it ? and how long ? and by that I naturally mean "how big is the map file size wise ?" and "how long did it take to render it ?"

Anyway everyone go back to using Mengy's map it's better than mine.

It wasn't a matter of competition, I got a new version of Overviewer last week that has a new command line to reduce JPG sizes more. That seemed to do the trick, as the map is now 1.45 GB in size. It takes me about 6 hours to compile the Neocraft map. Although it may go faster now with caching, I'll have to time it and see how it goes. With upload time to Dropbox it takes me about two days to put a new map up online.

I'm going to try reducing the JPG size further and see if I can fit the cave layer in under the 2GB limit as well, but if the view quality of the map is reduced to the point of being worthless then I'll have to give that up.

Also, Overviewer found two chunk errors while making the map. No idea what that's about, but I hope it isn't anything serious... o_O

microtubule

Really enjoying the 1.3.1 release. I started at a new random world a few times though and just seemed to be getting small to medium island masses surrounded by ocean. Luck of the draw I guess.

However I found this seed here at MC forums.net named "Jeremy Kyle". I normally wouldn't make a big deal but this one is really good in my opinion. It says for 1.3 pre-release but it seems to be working just fine in 1.3.1

The only nit-pick I have is the nearest village to the spawn is partially surrounded by sink holes so my OCD is forcing me to fix and patch all the holes before the villagers become cave dwellers.

-Minsc-

Well, victory at last!

The address changed because this is a map made in Overviewer, not Tectonicus. It is the overworld only, I had to take the cave layer out in order to make the file size fit. I'm going to do more experimenting though, if I can shrink it down a tad more then I may be able to add the caves back in at a later date. Also, Overviewer does not show people locations like Tectonicus did. The plus side though is that Overviewer can zoom in closer, and it seems to load better too in web browsers.

If anyone has any problems let me know.

Nice. I find the Pigmap version to be "crisper" while the overviewer map is more accurate. It's a shame you had to lower the quality of the JPG's so far. Still looks good though, if given the choice I'd use it over the Pigmap version.

I'm a noob to Minecraft so forgive me for asking this question; Even though my house doesn't have any openings, monsters keep getting in every time I try to sleep. I have glass on all the windows. No openings in the roof or walls. I had dirt for part of the floor which I thought may be the problem, so I fixed that. Any tips here? I'm scared to try to sleep for fear of getting attacked. It's happened three or four times.

Side-note, can enemies use ladders?

Morokh

I'm a noob to Minecraft so forgive me for asking this question; Even though my house doesn't have any openings, monsters keep getting in every time I try to sleep. I have glass on all the windows. No openings in the roof or walls. I had dirt for part of the floor which I thought may be the problem, so I fixed that. Any tips here? I'm scared to try to sleep for fear of getting attacked. It's happened three or four times.

Side-note, can enemies use ladders?

Yes i think they can climb ladders, but if you put a trapdoor on the top they won't be able to open it.

And for your monster problem, i would assume your house is somehow big and not well lit and the thing is monsters can spawn if there is not enough light.
Put some more torches and don't leave dark spots and you should be fine.

crackhead_bob said:
So I've been playing this game for well over a year now. Mainly, the vast majority of my playthroughs have involved collecting diamonds, gold, and glowstone.

Please help.

You don't necessarily need a huge amount of resources to start building a little shack/house a few stacks (2 to 10) of wood/stone or whatever blocs you want to build it should be more than enough.

There are many tutorials, be it video or pictures lying around the internet for simple and good looking designs.

One that is well known is Leostereo's 'Cozy Cottage' you can also look for Keralis on Youtube that has several video tutorials on more 'modern' houses of all size.

Regarding monsters getting in your house, besides being well lit doesn't it also help if the bed is not touching an outside wall?

I'm not sure since as a pure builder, I play on creative/peaceful most of the time - but I remember back when I'd play on survival and I had a similar problem and it was a case of moving the bed away from the wall one block.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Regarding monsters getting in your house, besides being well lit doesn't it also help if the bed is not touching an outside wall?
It's fine if the bed touches the wall as long as the other side of the wall is either solid blocks or well lit as well. It usually works fine when I put a window and torches outside.

Still having trouble with monsters getting in my house. I put torches freaking everywhere. I don't know what the deal is.

On another side note, how do you find NPC Villages?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Still having trouble with monsters getting in my house. I put torches freaking everywhere. I don't know what the deal is.

What version are you playing on? I thought it changed a few versions back that you can't go to sleep at all if there's a way for mobs to come get you.

Which, if you're on an old enough version, may be why you can't find villages either.

Morokh

Do the monsters actually spawn in your house and attack you or does it just say that monsters are nearby when you try to sleep ?

What version are you playing on? I thought it changed a few versions back that you can't go to sleep at all if there's a way for mobs to come get you.

Which, if you're on an old enough version, may be why you can't find villages either.

Xbox 360 Edition. I go to sleep and I get woken up by some kind of monster attacking me in my sleep. So they're spawning in my house I guess.

Top Bottom