• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

So since you guys used a whole bunch of wooden doors for Sky City, it's pretty much turned into a fancy version of DocM's U.F.O. villager spawning contraption from his single-player world:

dq2CF.jpg

Yep. We should probably fix that.

-Minsc-

Charlie: I like how the amusement park is actually the guise for a villager internment camp.

Oh, and my large wheat plantation is paying out. ;

Charlie: I like how the amusement park is actually the guise for a villager internment camp.

Oh, and my large wheat plantation is paying out. ;

Ohhhhhh god what have you guys done ;-) . About to pop on there now if I walk in on a huge villager orgy then this will probably be me a few minutes later :-

qf1e8.gif

I really really really need help.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR NEOCRAFT CITIZENS

As many of you fine denizens will know we have been struggling with the ungainly large map for some time now. At nearly 1.6gbs in size it takes way too long to back up and poor old Mengy is getting grey hair waiting for his Mac to render the world. Obviously something has to be done about it.

Now it isn't important who is to "blame" for the size of the world map. I am not going to point fingers at bluebren, but it was totally THEIR fault :p

Now couple the huge size with the fact any existing chunks will not have the new Emerald Ore in it leads us to a situation where something has to be done to get the size down and allow new chunks to generate with the Emerald Ore.

Well me and Mengy have decided the best option is a complete restart of the world map. We are erasing the old world map and starting afresh.

OK OK I kid, put your flaming pitchforks down. No we aren't going to reset the world map. What we are doing is trimming the old map and getting rid of all the crap. So here is what is going to happen :-

Friday (today) - this is the last day of building. At midnight tonight I will backup the server map and upload it for Crazylegzlu to start trimming. After the backup any work you do on the map WILL BE LOST. I will most likely start the back up at midnight tonight which is about 7 hours from this post.

Saturday - Will be "Blow Crap Up Day" for one day only Citizens will get TNT permissions and everyone will have the opportunity to do what they REALLY want to do and that is of course BLOW SHIT UP. This will be an all day event starting from midday (GMT) which is about 19 hours from the time of this post. I will be on hand as much as possible to dish out TNT to anyone that wants it. I will also do my best to record as much destruction as possible. Obviously restrict yourself to blowing up your own stuff. Naturally you can ask others if they want help blowing up their crap too.

Sunday - Hopefully Crazy will have had the map trimmed by then and I will have figured out how to upload it to the server (you picked a hell of a time to go away Mengy). Once the new map is uploaded it will be back to "business as usual" and you can start building again.

So there you go, it should be a fun weekend sod the Olympics. If anyone wants to know what the new map will look like after the trimming then you can see a render of it here :-

Map before the trimming

Map after the trimming

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR NEOCRAFT CITIZENS

As many of you fine denizens will know we have been struggling with the ungainly large map for some time now. At nearly 1.6gbs in size it takes way too long to back up and poor old Mengy is getting grey hair waiting for his Mac to render the world. Obviously something has to be done about it.

Now it isn't important who is to "blame" for the size of the world map. I am not going to point fingers at bluebren, but it was totally THEIR fault :p

Now couple the huge size with the fact any existing chunks will not have the new Emerald Ore in it leads us to a situation where something has to be done to get the size down and allow new chunks to generate with the Emerald Ore.

Well me and Mengy have decided the best option is a complete restart of the world map. We are erasing the old world map and starting afresh.

OK OK I kid, put your flaming pitchforks down. No we aren't going to reset the world map. What we are doing is trimming the old map and getting rid of all the crap. So here is what is going to happen :-

Friday (today) - this is the last day of building. At midnight tonight I will backup the server map and upload it for Crazylegzlu to start trimming. After the backup any work you do on the map WILL BE LOST. I will most likely start the back up at midnight tonight which is about 7 hours from this post.

Saturday - Will be "Blow Crap Up Day" for one day only Citizens will get TNT permissions and everyone will have the opportunity to do what they REALLY want to do and that is of course BLOW SHIT UP. This will be an all day event starting from midday (GMT) which is about 19 hours from the time of this post. I will be on hand as much as possible to dish out TNT to anyone that wants it. I will also do my best to record as much destruction as possible. Obviously restrict yourself to blowing up your own stuff. Naturally you can ask others if they want help blowing up their crap too.

Sunday - Hopefully Crazy will have had the map trimmed by then and I will have figured out how to upload it to the server (you picked a hell of a time to go away Mengy). Once the new map is uploaded it will be back to "business as usual" and you can start building again.

So there you go, it should be a fun weekend sod the Olympics. If anyone wants to know what the new map will look like after the trimming then you can see a render of it here :-

Map before the trimming

Map after the trimming

Sounds like a plan. The wife is out-of-town for the weekend so I'll have all day Saturday to work on trimming the map down.

Also, if anyone sees something of theirs I might have deleted in that example trim up there just let me know and I'll make sure I avoid it when I do the real trim.

Oh, and Charlie...make sure you blow up a dome for me. :)

Morokh

just make sure you have the mushroom island on the left of the map entirely, it's the only one we have that close and we don't want to see it cut with another biome/chunk error :p

I'll miss the TNT fun since i fly on vacation, but i'm sure you'll be making fun videos :p

legacyzero

Banned
No plane ticket would have been to expensive for me to fly across the pond and murder you LOL

Edit: funny joke though. Y'all got me. Expect Origin jokes for a month.

just make sure you have the mushroom island on the left of the map entirely, it's the only one we have that close and we don't want to see it cut with another biome/chunk error :p

I'll miss the TNT fun since i fly on vacation, but i'm sure you'll be making fun videos :p

Is that the one by itself out in a little "chunk island"? If so I'll make sure that one is left intact.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'll be away this weekend too but I may manage to get online Saturday night a bit.

So I don't know if I'll be online or not, so I am officially giving everyone permission to blow the hell out of my fortress or any of my other stuff. Just as long as you take lots of pics!

Yeah portals can be rebuilt and as long as they are rebuilt at the same coordinates they will still work as before plus you will have the extra bonus of it being a newly generated chunk and hence the chance of emerald ore.

There is always going to be a "trade off" here, we need to get this map trimmed down and manageable and some minor things may get trimmed. A lot of these portals dotted around never get used and if they are needed again then it is a simple matter to recreate them.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I don't care aboot my portal, but I'm sure it'll pop up again in the same place if I ever locate the portal connecting to it in the nether LOL.

It sure will, but that's okay, it will pop out into new 1.3 land generation when you come out of the nether. It might even be over actual land this time!

I was thinking, once the server is trimmed and re-uploaded we should pick a direction and start a new community project out beyond the trim line. Preferably out along the end of one of Dome City's rail lines, like maybe out past Roche Oasis or even out past Neolantis. Some kind of a community town again with a huge community mine for emeralds and other ores. Something like a Tower City, or a hobbit hole town set in hills and valeys like the Shire or something. Or even another underground city like Moria on the old server. Or we could find a large ravine and make dwellings in the ravine sides with wooden bridges crossing it.

Maybe even call it Emerald City, lol.

limlark

I can neither confirm nor deny that the state of the map is entirely my fault. :p Actually, my boat trails are long but narrow; there are surely others to blame for the huge, overexplored center taking up most of the space.

Also, you guys know how limited emerald ore is, right? It's more an Easter egg than a resource. Just let's not make any big plans based on having lucrative emerald mines.

-Minsc-

I don't care aboot my portal, but I'm sure it'll pop up again in the same place if I ever locate the portal connecting to it in the nether LOL.

My portal does have a bunch of chests and stuff around it with material for my pigmen gridner project. If you want me to move them I'll do so.

It sure will, but that's okay, it will pop out into new 1.3 land generation when you come out of the nether. It might even be over actual land this time!

I was thinking, once the server is trimmed and re-uploaded we should pick a direction and start a new community project out beyond the trim line. Preferably out along the end of one of Dome City's rail lines, like maybe out past Roche Oasis or even out past Neolantis. Some kind of a community town again with a huge community mine for emeralds and other ores. Something like a Tower City, or a hobbit hole town set in hills and valeys like the Shire or something. Or even another underground city like Moria on the old server. Or we could find a large ravine and make dwellings in the ravine sides with wooden bridges crossing it.

Maybe even call it Emerald City, lol.

We need something witty, almost Pokemon-esque for the town name. Let's formulate something when we build the town :)

Also, as a note, I'm interested in adding a village at the foothills of my fortress, and I'd like to invite you guys all to help build it, if you're interested. I'll have more details in the future because this is only in the preliminary planning stages, but I could sure use a few extra hands and minds. :)

Of course, if we do this new idea from Mengy or Neo-Arkyoto, this will be delayed a bit.

Yeah if you guys have something really small maybe try to secure some of the items.

Because the way I have to work around MCedit I open the most recent map on my second monitor and use that for a guide on what to trim. I zoom in all the way and scan before I cut but some stuff is pretty small.

-Minsc-

Yeah if you guys have something really small maybe try to secure some of the items.

Because the way I have to work around MCedit I open the most recent map on my second monitor and use that for a guide on what to trim. I zoom in all the way and scan before I cut but some stuff is pretty small.

At the very least try and keep this island. :)

Stuff2.png

Ok peeps there is 26 mins left for you to reach minimum safe distance. The backup will start in 26mins anything that happens on the server after that will "never have happened" when the map returns. So if you want to get inappropriate with a sheep then you only have 26 mins to wait.

Ok peeps there is 26 mins left for you to reach minimum safe distance. The backup will start in 26mins anything that happens on the server after that will "never have happened" when the map returns. So if you want to get inappropriate with a sheep then you only have 26 mins to wait.

Wait, I'm gonna log on right now. What's the code to get to the main area that's going to be salvaged?

OK the server map has been backed up so whatever you do on the server for the next 24 hours will never have happened when the trimmed map returns. So basically go nuts gentlemen but try and save the good stuff till tomorrow so I can video it.

I will be back on in minecraft tomorrow at 1pm (13 hours from this post) to dish out tnt to anyone that wants it (and citizens will have TNT rights and hell I might even put peeps in creative mode if I am in a good mood)

Oh, the server is being trimmed?

Any major construtions that will be lost?
My place is near the Arks...

You only need to worry if your buildings are right on the edge of the existing map. The bulk of Neocraft is remaining untouched (central area). It's just the spider tendrils and some of the outlying areas that are being trimmed by Crazylegzlu. He will of course do his best to ensure no major buildings are trimmed but it is a fine line.

At the end of the day we will all benefit from this, with a smaller map (should be half the file size when Crazy is finished) and we get new chunks generated with all the 1.3.1 goodness. So it is worth a lil bit of sacrifice I think. Unless you all want to go with a full world reset cos we could still do that if you want ;-)

I will be recording as well tonight and tomorrow along with Charlie, except from my perspective. I wish you luck, gentlemen.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go change my Minecraft skin in preparation.

Top Bottom