• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

IIRC if you place the bed on a 2x1 set of blocks popping upward from the surrounding floor, you're safe. This even works in the wild, provided the surrounding floor is flat enough. Doesn't make much sense, but then that mechanic almost never did.

-Minsc-

Ohhhhhhhh?

A new CraftBukkit Recommended Build (1.3.1-R1.0) that provides Minecraft 1.3.1 compatibility is now available.

Important information about this first Recommended Build following a Minecraft update:
The first Recommended Build, as always, is a slightly more polished development build that we're promoting to a Recommended Build so that people who rely on a Recommended Build being available can try out our development builds and decide if they want to use them.

Will plugins break with this build?
Provided the developers of the plugins you are using are keeping up with the development of Bukkit, all your plugins should work fine.

Download CraftBukkit 1.3.1-R1.0 here
EvilSeph, Today at 3:55 AM

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/craftbukkit-1-3-1-r1-0-is-now-available.91330/

Well there is no hard and fast rule. Basically the way I play the game is build up a couple of chests full or material and then start work on my project. Whilst I am working on the project if I run out of materials then I do a bit more digging and foraging. It works out quite nicely and gives you a break from both creating and mining. First up though you will probably want to set up a small farm to give you access to basic foods (maybe even a tree farm for wood) and get a couple of sheep pens so you can farm wool and die it different colours for your build.

Do cave systems go on forever? No matter how much I explore, I seem to stumble into another unexplored region? I explore mines and caves with an OCD complex, which explains why I haven't really begun creating structures and what not. I've created a warehouse with a comprehensive minetrack system and that's about it. I have a couple of wheat farms, and less than 2 dozen farm animals. I've also deforested large areas, but feel kind of overwhelmed on how to go about building things. So I end up branch mining for diamond and find end up with an even more bloated warehouse by the time I'm finished mining out another cycle or layer from the bedrock area.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Do cave systems go on forever? No matter how much I explore, I seem to stumble into another unexplored region? I explore mines and caves with an OCD complex, which explains why I haven't really begun creating structures and what not. I've created a warehouse with a comprehensive minetrack system and that's about it. I have a couple of wheat farms, and less than 2 dozen farm animals. I've also deforested large areas, but feel kind of overwhelmed on how to go about building things. So I end up branch mining for diamond and find end up with an even more bloated warehouse by the time I'm finished mining out another cycle or layer from the bedrock area.

I've never found an infinite cave system, every one I've ever found has had an end to it, but sometimes they are VERY large. And then I've found horribly small cave systems too, it's random. My favorites are the ones that have underground ravines in them or huge immense caverns and openings.

I typically start with a storage area that I think is more than large enough for me, and then eventually outgrow it from all of my digging, mining, and resource hunting, and need to either expand or build another storage area. It's happening to me right now on Neocraft. I have a problem where I keep all of my dirt and cobblestone. I just can't throw it away, I mean I might need it someday. So, just like always, I end up with dozens of chests full of dirt and cobble.

I used about fourteen double chests of cobble to build my fortress on Neocraft and I was so proud of the fact that I was using it all up. But then I started digging the underground part of it, and I quickly filled them all back up and even more. I used to have an entire double chest filled with coal, but after smelting all of that cobble to make bricks, well I've been down to like four stacks of coal ever since. And that bugs me. I need to go coal mining.

Damn this game, lol.

So it isn't out of the ordinary to set up a new warehouse area? The one I have now is losing ground. I've spent so much cobblestone in the nether, only to wind up replenishing my supply after branch mining a few layers.

Well, victory at last!

I've uploaded a new server map for Neocraft. The address is now a bit different, here is the new one:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Server Files/index.html

The address changed because this is a map made in Overviewer, not Tectonicus. It is the overworld only, I had to take the cave layer out in order to make the file size fit. I'm going to do more experimenting though, if I can shrink it down a tad more then I may be able to add the caves back in at a later date. Also, Overviewer does not show people locations like Tectonicus did. The plus side though is that Overviewer can zoom in closer, and it seems to load better too in web browsers.

If anyone has any problems let me know.

A lot of new stuff to check out.

Ranger X

I'm just as OCD as you are (maybe more) with spelunking. I explored immense caves that took me like 30 hours to explore. Some are freaking huge and if one leads you to a Mineshaft... good luck! :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm just as OCD as you are (maybe more) with spelunking. I explored immense caves that took me like 30 hours to explore. Some are freaking huge and if one leads you to a Mineshaft... good luck! :p

Oh god, I still remember my first mineshaft. It eventually opened out into this huge underground cavern with wooden struts in mid-air everywhere and there was a poison spider spawner hanging in mid-air in the center and I had to build this precarious framework out over it and drop lava on it so I could get down and destroy it, and I died doing so like three times...god I love this game

While you guys wait ... check out Episode 19 - The Torch (Part 2)

I plan on finishing this in a few more eps, and then inviting everyone to the ceremonial torch lighting. Sound like a fun idea for anyone else? (Yes, I am recording it and yes, you can be in the video! :p)

I also want to do some more exploring with others and some server tours, which I'll just do through NihonTiger on NeoCraft for the moment.

OK. I'm thinking about fixing the harvester's mob/exp grinder.

I have some questions though...

1. Do you guys actually want it back? I'm sure there are other, better, grinders out there now. (Like the Enderman grinder... So much EXP!)

2. If you do want it back, do you want it to function the same (EXP mode/Loot mode), or just one or the other? (Personally, I'm thinking just make it give loot)

3. I didn't order these waffles!?

Mengy

Do we have another basic mob grinder, though? And not just an EXP one like the Enderman/Blaze ones are?

Yeah, I've got a large loot grinder in my fortress. The only thing it doesn't supply is ender pearls, as they teleport out as soon as they hit the water chutes.

-Minsc-

1. Do you guys actually want it back? I'm sure there are other, better, grinders out there now. (Like the Enderman grinder... So much EXP!)

2. If you do want it back, do you want it to function the same (EXP mode/Loot mode), or just one or the other? (Personally, I'm thinking just make it give loot)

I say make it loot only, the enderman grinder just blows your grinder away EXP wise. Considering it's a resource harvester, a loot grinder will sit right at home.

While you guys wait ... check out Episode 19 - The Torch (Part 2)

I plan on finishing this in a few more eps, and then inviting everyone to the ceremonial torch lighting. Sound like a fun idea for anyone else? (Yes, I am recording it and yes, you can be in the video! :p)

I also want to do some more exploring with others and some server tours, which I'll just do through NihonTiger on NeoCraft for the moment.

Lack of a proper invite hasn't stopped me from invading your videos before. :p (I'll be there.)

1. Yes.

2. Loot.

3. Sorry, those were supposed to come to me, could you ship them to my house?

Ranger X

Oh god, I still remember my first mineshaft. It eventually opened out into this huge underground cavern with wooden struts in mid-air everywhere and there was a poison spider spawner hanging in mid-air in the center and I had to build this precarious framework out over it and drop lava on it so I could get down and destroy it, and I died doing so like three times...god I love this game

Only in Minecraft! fucking nice ;)

Mengy

At this time, Neocraft is updated to Minecraft 1.3.1.

I did a bit of testing and everything seems to be working as normal. If anyone finds anything wrong let me know.

At this time, Neocraft is updated to Minecraft 1.3.1.

I did a bit of testing and everything seems to be working as normal. If anyone finds anything wrong let me know.

oh, neat. I'll try and hop on in a bit. Pretty sure I don't have privileges anymore, but might as well find out.

Took some time to look around Neocraft... Went to Neolantis. Holy crap, that is such a neat place! Is it possible to get the save file for Neocraft? I'd very much like to fly around and check more things out. PM if possible. :)

spuit*11

Banned
Wow performance is great in this update.

On max FPS I'm getting like 400 frames per second. Balanced it's 125 down to a stable 90 when loading chunks.

This is excellent.

Just hopped on now, nice to see the transition to 1.3.1 was so smooth. It certainly makes a change after the mess that was the 1.2.5 transition. Oh and Neolantis now has a warp so you can all stop tpaing to me now ;-)

Mengy

Just hopped on now, nice to see the transition to 1.3.1 was so smooth. It certainly makes a change after the mess that was the 1.2.5 transition. Oh and Neolantis now has a warp so you can all stop tpaing to me now ;-)

To heck with the warp, I actually enjoy the railway ride!

Yeah, the update seems to have gone without a hitch really. I almost don't trust it, lol. Of course, we aren't going to find any emeralds in any of the explored area. I wish I knew how to trim the map down to get rid of a lot of the wandering boat explorations. Maybe that will be the next thing I teach myself how to do... I think this weekend I'll go around in creative mode and plant some cocoa beans in the jungles we already have just to bring them "up to snuff".

Also, getting XP from branch mining and smelting ores now rocks so much. To hell with XP grinders, I'm gonna mine my way to enchanted tools! Lots of good little changes in this update. Boats plowing over lillypads is a godsend to me, and being able to break your boat down and carry it is a welcome change.

I noticed in the huge tree village that one of the villagers was actually selling emeralds in exchange for raw fish. So I guess you don't have to mine emeralds, you can actually trade for them too.

I wish I knew how to trim the map down to get rid of a lot of the wandering boat explorations.

Trimming the map isn't that complicated, it is just a bit time consuming. The easiest way is via MCedit in chunk view mode you can just select the chunks you want removing and it deletes them. I would do it myself but for some reason MCedit throws a wobbler on my PC.

I really think it is now unavoidable, we have to do something with this map. It is becoming cumbersome and bloated. If you can get the map down to a decent size you won't have to sit for 6 hours rendering in overview either.

Now we were talking the other night about having a special "blow shit up day". So I was thinking we could combine the two. When you feel ready to trim the map, let us know and we can have 2 days of "don't build anything cos it is going to be lost". Instead we could have a 2 day "blow the hell out of the map" time. Then when the newly trimmed map is uploaded it will be like nothing has happened and we will have had fun watching Artist nuke his Harvester and seen Dome City reduced to rubble.

New Snapshot!

http://www.mojang.com/2012/08/the-weekly-chunk-snapshot-12w32a/

We are currently working on two different tasks: first to patch 1.3.1 to fix the most serious bugs, and secondly on 1.4. The patch will be released as 1.3.2, and will not include any new features. This snapshot (12w32a), however, is a part of our 1.4 development, so it has some new features (confusing, eh?):

Villagers will now react positively on new trades, and negatively if you hurt them
Villagers will not remove trades, but trading something else may be required to renew the old ones
Zombies and Skeletons have new equipment, depending on difficulty
There’s a new kind of Zombie, too
Added the “Command Block” intended for adventure maps. It’s not craftable and not in the menu, but its id is 137
A suprise block! This block is still work in progress, but will get a crafting recipe later on

Surprise block seems really weird and different
Minecraft Wiki - WIP Block

Seems like you build a pyramid and put it on top and a big beam of light will shoot out. And it also applies effects? Maybe so you can make it so running through the beam gives you powers? I have no idea.

Seems like you build a pyramid and put it on top and a big beam of light will shoot out. And it also applies effects? Maybe so you can make it so running through the beam gives you powers? I have no idea.

Dewtroid was on Twitch earlier messing around with it.

You build the pyramid, and you feed the top block ores, like gold iron, emerald, diamond, and it applies whatever buffs you select within a range of the pyramid.

Probably useless for SMP, but good for adventure and PVP maps, I bet.

Mengy

Eh, sounds like a strange addition. I'd rather they just give us stained glass. Or colored torches. Or diving helmets and flippers.

Coming up for a design for a industrial sized mob drowner is harder than I thought. Or perhaps I'm over thinking things. Everything I'm making is too large I guess, and the loot keeps getting stuck from lack of currents at the bottom. Hmmmm...

Clanforge posted this :-

Clanforge said:
As noted on Mojang's site the Minecraft session servers are currently offline preventing players from logging in to any Minecraft server worldwide. We're tracking the status of the issue and will update this post as new information becomes available.

Please refrain from contacting ticket or live support about this issue - it is out of our control and we're trying to help as many users as possible.

So if you are already logged into minecraft you are probably best to stay logged in. If you aren't logged in (like muggings here) then you are shit out of luck till Mojang fixes it's damn authentication servers.

Clanforge posted this :-

So if you are already logged into minecraft you are probably best to stay logged in. If you aren't logged in (like muggings here) then you are shit out of luck till Mojang fixes it's damn authentication servers.

Noooooooooooooooo!

I am at work and was about to log in here in a few minutes to aleviate the boredom.

:-(

evilhomer

Eh, sounds like a strange addition. I'd rather they just give us stained glass. Or colored torches. Or diving helmets and flippers.

Stained glass is one of the things I want most added to the game. Would add so much variety to building and look awesome.

Ranger X

Mojang said:
Villagers will now react positively on new trades, and negatively if you hurt them
Villagers will not remove trades, but trading something else may be required to renew the old ones

YES. Now that's how it was supposed to be! Excellent adjustment.

Mojang said:
Zombies and Skeletons have new equipment, depending on difficulty
There’s a new kind of Zombie, too

Man, I'm excited for this. This game just keeps on giving!!

Top Bottom