• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

-Minsc-

So here is where I settled. I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes here in this area. Aside from the metro line it looked relatively barren and free for development. If its an issue let me know and I can move.

I was thinking of planting a large wheat field around the rail there. It's no big deal though, it just would have been a "when I"m bored" project.

microtubule

Interesting in both good and bad ways...

Woah, I don't want pigmen all over my bases, but kind of neat.

Just leather? DAMN IT!!!!!

The portal spawn thing could get interesting down the road though. I was thinking something along the lines of Half Life or Oblivion where agressive mobs could sometimes spawn at a portal, mainly on the highest difficulty or as an option to disable or enable.

The dye limitation I have a feeling is only temporary. I mean most players mainly use Iron or Diamond armor.

On that note, Xeno I have started a rail station at the 90 degree bend in the railway just above the area you are settling. It doesn't show up on the map yet but it's there in game, a round substation just like the one at Neolantis. I have to finish it to make it accessible from the ground, but this will let you easily use the railway from close by your home. At this point it's just a station with no new spurs, in fact the minecart won't even stop as it now just trucks on through the station. Eventually though I'd like it to have a branch heading north to an emerald mining town I started in the new chunk generation.

We could extend the Orange Line out to this station, maybe? If not that we have other options. I'd eventually like to send some line underground to my new ravine/mineshaft in the new chunks, but that's a ways out at-3700.

We could extend the Orange Line out to this station, maybe? If not that we have other options. I'd eventually like to send some line underground to my new ravine/mineshaft in the new chunks, but that's a ways out at-3700.

Yeah, I'll hop on in a minute and see about sending Orange out that way.

Insaniac

Am I wrong in saying that there are some things that are mods to minecraft that probably should've been added to vanilla minecraft a long while ago? One of the simple ones is stained glass. I would love to create giant stained glass buildings.

Second is 'wireless' redstone. I've seen several concepts but I like the idea of a block that can receive a redstone charge without directly being connected to the wire. Not everyone who plays minecraft is an electrical engineer and the main reason I don't use redstone as much as I'd like to is because all the things I create end up being a cluttered network of redstone that is impossible to hide aesthetically.

Yeah, I'll hop on in a minute and see about sending Orange out that way.

I haven't gotten to do any plotting between Heaven's Reach and my fortress, though. I was hoping to make it a straight line between stations but I wanted to make sure we weren't digging through any basements in Heaven's Reach and I won't be home until much later this evening.

celebi23

Don't worry, I have no intention of putting up ads to make money off of this. I might not even share the site with the public (just share it with my friends). I changed the url of the newer version of the site. The one I posted I removed. I'm not sure of the legality of sharing these skins with a large amount of people.

Ok, I finished my site. I've got the default skins, Skin Pack 1 & the Summer of Arcade Skin Pack. I'll do Skin Pack 2 tomorrow. Would it be ok to post the link to my site? I mean, I'm technically offering paid content for free.

Blizzard

Banned
Ok, I finished my site. I've got the default skins, Skin Pack 1 & the Summer of Arcade Skin Pack. I'll do Skin Pack 2 tomorrow. Would it be ok to post the link to my site? I mean, I'm technically offering paid content for free.
Have you sent an email or Twitter message to Jeb about it? I don't really know who to ask considering there's the normal Mojang team and then the 360 Minecraft team.

celebi23

Have you sent an email or Twitter message to Jeb about it? I don't really know who to ask considering there's the normal Mojang team and then the 360 Minecraft team.

Good idea, I'll do that now. Thanks. I sent a tweet to Notch & the 4J studios twitter account too.

Overdoziz

Banned
Skins are free on PC anyway, it's not like you're giving them away for free on the 360 or anything. I don't see the issue.

New snapshot notes (via Reddit):

The new crops are carrots and potatoes. You can apparently use them to make baked potatoes and golden carrots, the latter being used in brewing nightvision potions. You can also occasionally get poisonous potatoes from harvesting potatoes.

New to the game is a new mob, the second boss in the game: The Wither Boss. It has three heads that shoot projectiles at players, animals and villagers; can break through and destroy blocks like an Ender Dragon; and the projectiles have a mechanic upon hit called "wither". Wither acts like poison, except it turns your bar black and does not stop at half a heart, meaning it can kill you. It gives you a message saying "[Player] withered away... " upon death.

Adding fermented spider eyes to nightvision potions makes them invisibility potions. They seem to work on any NPC because someone made their dogs invisible.

Dog collars are apparently colorable.

-Minsc-

The new crops are carrots and potatoes. You can apparently use them to make baked potatoes and golden carrots, the latter being used in brewing nightvision potions. You can also occasionally get poisonous potatoes from harvesting potatoes.

New to the game is a new mob, the second boss in the game: The Wither Boss. It has three heads that shoot projectiles at players, animals and villagers; can break through and destroy blocks like an Ender Dragon; and the projectiles have a mechanic upon hit called "wither". Wither acts like poison, except it turns your bar black and does not stop at half a heart, meaning it can kill you. It gives you a message saying "[Player] withered away... " upon death.

Adding fermented spider eyes to nightvision potions makes them invisibility potions. They seem to work on any NPC because someone made their dogs invisible.

Hmm, I'll have to plan a new, proper farm with the new crop additions. Large fields, separated by cobblestone walls? Yes, yes.

So do you also fight this guy in The End?

Stoof

Hey there Minecraft GAF! Plan on checking out your server soon, looks pretty cool. I really want to get back into Minecraft but a streak of bad/poorly managed servers kinda put me off. Looking forward to seeing all your guys' awesome creations :)

Overdoziz

Banned
One of the six sides of my building is done. :)

ibgsDlskgh0Axp.png

-Minsc-

Hey there Minecraft GAF! Plan on checking out your server soon, looks pretty cool. I really want to get back into Minecraft but a streak of bad/poorly managed servers kinda put me off. Looking forward to seeing all your guys' awesome creations :)

Awesome! We're always on the look out for more vic... erm players on the server.

I'm so looking forward to the next release of Minecraft, the additions for 1.4 have already been amazing! Mobs being able to go through portals is great.

Is it true that villages can now appear in the nether and different biomes? (themed villages), or was that just one of the many MC mods out there? (Saw it on some youtubes)

I'm just waiting for easy online multiplayer without having to setup a server.

Does anyone know how to create copies of maps on single player? I'd like to do some exploring without worrying about fear of permanantly

I meant a craftable map. My first map has all corners completely filled out and I'd like to know if it's possible to craft a complete copy of the same map on my workbench instead of having to start from scratch. I'd like to have 5 copies, but I don't fell like having to do all the footwork all over again.

New weekly snapshot is up at Mojang.com Some interesting additions coming!!

12w34a

Added item frames
Added cobblestone walls (yes, mossy too)
Maps now align to a grid, making it easier to create adjacent maps. Maps can also be cloned
Stairs now auto-arrange into corners. This is a test and may change based on feedback
Mobs can travel through portals
Leather clothes can be dyed
Removed the “wip block” from the creative menu
Added two new crops and associated items
F3+P will toggle the auto-pause when the window loses focus (it’s for debugging, mainly)
F3+H will toggle detailed item descriptions (also for debugging)
Added arrow-sensitive wooden buttons
Trapdoors can be placed in top-most position (based on cross-hair aim)

I'm so looking forward to the next release of Minecraft, the additions for 1.4 have already been amazing! Mobs being able to go through portals is great.

Is it true that villages can now appear in the nether and different biomes? (themed villages), or was that just one of the many MC mods out there? (Saw it on some youtubes)

I'm just waiting for easy online multiplayer without having to setup a server.

This from my Nether Portal I set up on Neocraft, took the screenshot about a half hour ago or so. This feature is already there or am I getting it wrong? Little pigman dude came through the portal into the over world as you can see above!

Rapstah

I wish pigmen would travel through the portal in large numbers and build villages in our world. They could take all the villagers' jobs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its been so long since I've played, but my kids want me to join them in their tekkit server. I'm used to vanilla minecraft, not even played since they added villages!

any advice on tuning performance? I have a decent laptop but I don't want it huffing and puffing just for minecraft. Do you use the performance option to limit the framerate - presumably that also limits GPU load and temperature, but does it do anything to help the server? Wondering between balanced and power saver modes, even power saver seems fairly smooth to me.

-Minsc-

its been so long since I've played, but my kids want me to join them in their tekkit server. I'm used to vanilla minecraft, not even played since they added villages!

any advice on tuning performance? I have a decent laptop but I don't want it huffing and puffing just for minecraft. Do you use the performance option to limit the framerate - presumably that also limits GPU load and temperature, but does it do anything to help the server? Wondering between balanced and power saver modes, even power saver seems fairly smooth to me.

Optifine my friend, optifine. It's a mod no player should go without.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Optifine my friend, optifine. It's a mod no player should go without.

I'm running technic launcher which I think includes optifine. My computer is very capable of running it - 200fps or so - just that being a laptop I'd like to not cook my balls while listening to a hurricane blowing in my ear :)

Why is Charlie's name blurred out?

I am actually in the minecraft witness protection program ;-) If I ever went on mumble you wouldn't hear my voice it would be the voice of an actor lol. So the blurring is to protect me from the secret order of squares. This order has a vendetta against us scummy dome lovers.

Nah not sure why my name is blurred out, but just for the record I don't mind being in peoples screenshots. I am quite literally the Paris Hilton of minecraft i.e a right attention seeking whore.

I meant a craftable map. My first map has all corners completely filled out and I'd like to know if it's possible to craft a complete copy of the same map on my workbench instead of having to start from scratch. I'd like to have 5 copies, but I don't fell like having to do all the footwork all over again.

That might be possible in the next update. I believe from 1.3.4 onwards you can mount maps on the wall in frames. It might not be exactly how you want it but you might be able to make a copy that way.

To be honest I have always found the mapping system in minecraft beyond utterly shit. You might want to consider a mod called "Rei's mini-map" it really is an excellent minimap that sits in the corner of the screen and helps with navigating a world (you can even set waypoints)

I wish pigmen would travel through the portal in large numbers and build villages in our world. They could take all the villagers' jobs.

Thus throughout the land of Minecraft this chant was heard :-

xmtde.jpg

I had a bit of a play around with 1.3.4 today and it is pretty cool. The item frames are a great idea and should help people spruce their walls up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I need help. My Minecraft server is inexplicitly unresponsive. And by that I mean I cant connect to it.

Me and a mate have tried to get a server working, and managed to do so a few times. Connection speeds were an issue, but it worked. Now, for no reason, neither him nor I am able to find the server. Minecraft simply wont ping the server at all, as if the server is blocked. On his end, he too cannot find the server.

Nothing has changed. I have a forwarded port dedicated to the server. I have my firewall open to Minecraft and the server. I can connect to every other server. But I cannot find mine. Why?

EDIT: Never mind, fixed it.

LilZippa

I need help. My Minecraft server is inexplicitly unresponsive. And by that I mean I cant connect to it.

Me and a mate have tried to get a server working, and managed to do so a few times. Connection speeds were an issue, but it worked. Now, for no reason, neither him nor I am able to find the server. Minecraft simply wont ping the server at all, as if the server is blocked. On his end, he too cannot find the server.

Nothing has changed. I have a forwarded port dedicated to the server. I have my firewall open to Minecraft and the server. I can connect to every other server. But I cannot find mine. Why?

EDIT: Never mind, fixed it.

I know it seems you fixed it, but I will vent on my server trouble. Windows firewall is strange cause I could setup a hamachi server and my friend could connect to the vanilla server, but then I switched to crafbukkit and it stopped working. I had to add a specific exception for that port in windows firewall to get it to work.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mobs traveling through portals might actually give a functional use to my plan to place a nether portal in the middle of a giant hollow sphere deep underground with three layers of iron doors locking it off.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mobs traveling through portals might actually give a functional use to my plan to place a nether portal in the middle of a giant hollow sphere deep underground with three layers of iron doors locking it off.

What would really be cool was if portals in the overworld actually attracted normal mobs to them. Like to the point where if they get within a certain range they will do everything they can to make their way to the portal and enter it, attacking any player along the way.

And now that pigmen can come through the portals into the overworld, it would also be cool if pigmen were hostile towards normal world mobs, like they fight each other on sight.

Like a war of the worlds was underway, and every player portal was a possible doorway to hostile encounters between mobs from both dimensions.

Oh yeah, and pigs would always rally to the defense of pigmen!!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
another curio - why does my mac mini (2.3Ghz dual core i5, HD3000 integrated graphics) run minecraft in 1080p nice and smoothly, yet the kid's laptop (i5-2450m, GT540m discrete graphics) is slower - still playable but just a little jerky. both are running tekkit via technic launcher.

another curio - why does my mac mini (2.3Ghz dual core i5, HD3000 integrated graphics) run minecraft in 1080p nice and smoothly, yet the kid's laptop (i5-2450m, GT540m discrete graphics) is slower - still playable but just a little jerky. both are running tekkit via technic launcher.

Any difference in memory sizes ? I had to slum it for a while on my old backup Dualcore with 8800gts and had a whole world of hate with it. The main problem was down to the fact my dualcore only had 2gbs of RAM.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Pigmen are safe to kill as long as you only take on one at a time. If they wander into the real world you can kill them quite easily. Even in the Nether as long as it's only one separated from a group. Or you're in a narrow hallway so they have to file down one at a time and you move backward as you swing at them. They're good for the occasional gold nugget.

And this video does a great job of explaining all the new stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvlyQoOlXTY

The new Wither looks awesome, but is currently extremely overpowered. Hopefully they are smart enough to make them rare or gimp them. Put them in the Nether I say. The Nether needs a boss.

bengraven

Jumped in the other day for the first time in a while, but wasn't able to play long. :( stupid wireless card isn't being friendly and I'm dead broke.

That said, I'm getting excited for these changes and just started a brand new single player game to try and capture the magic of early Minecraft. First thing I find is TWO desert temples and a desert village and I'm happy so far.

Being able to put maps in a frame could give us a way to make small rail diagrams in-game that we can put at each station to let people know where they are along the rail.

Just find an isolated area of the map and lay out the rail using colored wool, and maybe number the stations so we can put a sign under each frame that says "You are at Station # whatever" and duplicate the maps, and put them in frames.

Mengy

I didn't see that coming. I wonder though, how exactly is he going to nerf mob grinders without nerfing mob XP? I'm not sure I understand what exactly he is changing here...

Although I have to say, since 1.3 I haven't even needed an XP grinder. The amount of XP I'm getting just from mining and smelting has been more than enough to do many level 30 enchants. I'm smelting cobble into clean stone just for the XP. It's my favorite change from 1.3, so grinders getting nerfed won't really effect me to be honest.

I'm still curious HOW he's nerfing them though.

Thou shall not have too much fun in Minecraft seems to be the mantra of Mojang. I don't know for a game that is supposed to give you "unrivalled freedom" the developers put a hell of a lot of effort into forcing people to play the game a "certain way".

I like XP grinders I find them fun to build, fun to use and fun to improve. Whenever I do a new base in single player I always set up an XP grinder because I like them. But no apparently I am playing a "sandbox, do anything game" wrong.

On a slightly more positive note it appears this will only affect XP grinders that use spawn blocks to supply monsters. A regular mob farm (i.e huge dark space to encourage monster spawning) will be unaffected.

It just irks me tremendously that Mojang keep doing their damnedest to force gamers to play this game "their way".

-Minsc-

I didn't see that coming. I wonder though, how exactly is he going to nerf mob grinders without nerfing mob XP? I'm not sure I understand what exactly he is changing here...

Although I have to say, since 1.3 I haven't even needed an XP grinder. The amount of XP I'm getting just from mining and smelting has been more than enough to do many level 30 enchants. I'm smelting cobble into clean stone just for the XP. It's my favorite change from 1.3, so grinders getting nerfed won't really effect me to be honest.

I'm still curious HOW he's nerfing them though.

Wait, you get EXP from smelting cobble in to stone? Awesome.

As for nerfed EXP grinders, HOW is definitely the big question. It's possible he coded a way to detect how much non-player damage a mob receives prior to death. If it's detected a mob received X% of non-player infliected damage then the mob will not drop EXP upon death. That's about the only way I can see. Time will tell if loot grinders will also be nerfed.

Well, at the end of the day I suppose everyone will install the "un-nerf" mod.

Mengy

Wait, you get EXP from smelting cobble in to stone? Awesome.

You get XP for smelting anything in a furnace. Cobble, sand, raw meat, ores, etc. And yes, it's awesome. Especially for the dwarfs at heart!

On a slightly more positive note it appears this will only affect XP grinders that use spawn blocks to supply monsters. A regular mob farm (i.e huge dark space to encourage monster spawning) will be unaffected.

It just irks me tremendously that Mojang keep doing their damnedest to force gamers to play this game "their way".

Ah, so it's only spawner grinders? Maybe they want us to destroy the spawning blocks? I wonder if destroying the spawning block will give any XP or some kind of rewards then? I honestly wouldn't mind that too much. It would still preserve the creativity of designing huge intricate mob grinders, which is the biggest concern IMHO.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Loot Grinders will NOT be nerfed. He mentioned this. Your fall death grinders will still work.

It's only XP. It probably detects how much you're getting or something.

celebi23

So, about that site I was working on (that has all of the skins from the 3 XBLA skin packs & set up so they can be used with the PC version), I got a message back from 4JStu:

"I would say no you can't share that link, but I have passed it up the chain for a clearer message. Pretty sure it would break copyright laws"

Here was my response:
"Ok, thanks. I thought it might but, I wasn't sure since tons of Minecraft skins are freely available."

I'll keep you guys posted.

Ranger X

Loot Grinders will NOT be nerfed. He mentioned this. Your fall death grinders will still work.

It's only XP. It probably detects how much you're getting or something.

Still this would be nerfing people's liberty in a game that is about liberty. It doesn't make much sense and I don't what this change would do to improve the game. It's extremely rare I disagree with a change but this one seems useless right now.

Is there a slime spawner anywhere on the map? And would it be to much to ask for the seed? I wanna see if the chunk I'm in is a potential area for slime to spawn.

Top Bottom