• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Hey there members of NeoCraft!

As you may or may not know, I am in the process of building a zombie pigmen gold farm. What you likely don't know is it requires 540 sticky pistons. That's 540 slimes and iron ingots. While I personally have no issue with others using creative to spawn blocks, for my own builds I like to keep them as so called "legit" as possible.

I am looking for donations for survival obtained slime balls and iron ingots. Collecting all these resources, especially the slimes, I don't see as being feasible for one to go at alone. Let see NeoCraft how much we can conjure together as a collective. Even if we only we only pool half the resources it will still be a great help.
I have some Iron i can donate tonight. It might be only 25 or so but you can have it. Where are you collecting the items at?

Woorloog

Banned
There's an option to remove the window movement when walking. This should help your motion sickness I guess. And don't play with wider field of view.

I always play without view bobbing. But that doesn't help.
Too narrow FOV can cause the motion sickness (Marathon2 Durandal XBLA release, patch later added wider FOV which helped a lot) but so can too wide (definetly in danger zone if fisheye view starts happening).
But as i said, it is really random. Sometimes i can move a lot, spin a lot, mine in tight hallways or walk in the open world, and no motion sickness. Sometimes, anyone of these can trigger it. Uneven FPS certainly can affect this too, but Xbox 360 version has relatively stable FPS and still get motion sickness.
Kinda frustrating. Especially when nearly no other game ever causes motion sickness on me, and i play quite a lot first person shooters.

-Minsc-

Hey all!

Here's a quick update on the sticky piston situation. We've rounded up enough materials to bring to a current total of 461 sticky pistons! All that remains is 79 more slimeballs. If someone is up to it you are free to camp out at the Neolulu slime chunk while you watch TV or clean your room. Just check back every so often to see if any slimes spawned. I collected over 80 slimeballs lastnight/this morning doing just that.

Anyways, were are very close too our goal! All that remains after the mechanical aspect of the grinder is to continue slabbing the nether. If you would like to speed up getting this grinder operational you are more then welcome to help in with this task. Once I finish placing the mechanics I'll outline the rest of the areas which need to be slabbed.

Update:

I have all the materials I need. :D (thank you Looting III).

So, what interest would there be in a community project build of a mountaintop city? I found a super awesome place to build just west of my fortress but there's too much land for me to do it all on my own. :-/

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So, what interest would there be in a community project build of a mountaintop city? I found a super awesome place to build just west of my fortress but there's too much land for me to do it all on my own. :-/

I've been meaning to jump onto the GAF server and I think that'd be pretty neat to work on

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, you could build some new houses in the village, get them to breed, and hope for a good trade from the new villager. Another (far more cold-hearted) method is to just kill off a villager with a bad trade, and hope his replacement has decent trades.
I'm already doing that. I took over a village, built a breeder, built a wall, sealed it off from the rest of the world, and am building houses for them. They've been breeding like rabbits. Except the two golems I had appear weeks ago have disappeared all of a sudden. Really sad about that. I'll have to make some of my own when I get the village secured and completely complete.

I've been meaning to jump onto the GAF server and I think that'd be pretty neat to work on

Awesomesauce. It'll be a while off before I get started on that, as we might have other projects first (there's about 4 or 5 different proposals out now), so if you want to hop on anytime, Tech, you're welcome to. :) Might give you a chance to get a home base set up, too. :)

Awesomesauce. It'll be a while off before I get started on that, as we might have other projects first (there's about 4 or 5 different proposals out now), so if you want to hop on anytime, Tech, you're welcome to. :) Might give you a chance to get a home base set up, too. :)

That sounds interesting, and I'd like to actually help on a GAF project. Count me in whenever you get started.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It would be so neat if you could use a written book when building a bookshelf to build the book into the shelf so people would just right-click the shelf to read it. It's silly that we can write books, but have to put them in a chest instead of logically placing them in a bookshelf. Just one written book and two normal books to optionally build it in. Since it's permanently written anyway. And if you destroy the shelf, you get the book back along with the two others.

Edit: Also, WTF? Music note blocks don't seem to work for me anymore. I don't get any sound out of them. All other sounds work fine. This sucks! Why would it do that?

How does the nether portal system work on Neocraft? It seems that my nether portal has gotten mixed up with mackroid's portal to the statue area. I teleport into the nether from my portal it sends me into the nether through mackroids skins portal so when I teleport back out through that portal I just came through I wind up at the skins station area, where all the big skins statues are. I tried seeing if maybe I built another portal near by in the nether it would fix it but that didn't work. Any help?

-Minsc-

How does the nether portal system work on Neocraft? It seems that my nether portal has gotten mixed up with mackroid's portal to the statue area. I teleport into the nether from my portal it sends me into the nether through mackroids skins portal so when I teleport back out through that portal I just came through I wind up at the skins station area, where all the big skins statues are. I tried seeing if maybe I built another portal near by in the nether it would fix it but that didn't work. Any help?

Here's what you do. Get the coordinates for your portal in the overworld (x and z are the most important then divide each one by eight. Find this new set of coordinates in the nether and build a portal there. This should solve your problem.

Edit: Also, WTF? Music note blocks don't seem to work for me anymore. I don't get any sound out of them. All other sounds work fine. This sucks! Why would it do that?

Hmm, is this on the server or offline?

So is there a good way to generate large amounts of Obsidian on the server? I have an idea for a project that would require a lot of it...

You could maybe ask Charlie to give you temporary creative mode access. Other than that the best way to mine it is by enchanting a diamond pickaxe with efficiency V, which gives a 250% speed boost, or you could make scaffolding to hold lava and then pour water over it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So is there a good way to generate large amounts of Obsidian on the server? I have an idea for a project that would require a lot of it...

I go spelunking down around bedrock level with a bucket of water and a diamond pick of Efficiency III or greater. You'd be surprised how much obsidian you can mine quickly with a pick like that. Plus, whenever I empty out a lava lake I almost always find gold, iron, or diamonds under the lava. It seems like a lot of ore generation happens right along lava lake edges.

Plus, I like large hallowed out underground caverns. Just looks cool when I'm done.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
An obsidian generator. Though it seems there's a cost, it "uses" one redstone per block of obsidian generated. It's kinda cool actually, you have to give something up to get the obsidian.

Sahweet, I'll give it a look as soon as Ark approves me for the server. One redstone for one Obsidian is a trade I'm happy to make\

Er...where is your place?

-Minsc-

Sahweet, I'll give it a look as soon as Ark approves me for the server. One redstone for one Obsidian is a trade I'm happy to make\

Er...where is your place?

The easiest way to get there is to warp to the harvester. Head to the harvesters portal and travel to the nether. Head down the stairs to the left outside the portal room. Follow the signs.

Here's the generator design.

Mengy

I prefer to use a lava mold to make my obsidian on-site.

Saves a LOT of time breaking obsidian blocks.

Nah, thats too much work for me, I'd rather carry around stacks of obsidian block. But then I find mining relaxing and fun, so I am biases towards the pickaxe. :)

Vlad

I prefer to use a lava mold to make my obsidian on-site.

Saves a LOT of time breaking obsidian blocks.

Is it still faster than using enchanted pickaxes, though? I made an obsidian tower a long time ago using the mold method, and it took a long time to cart all the buckets of lava back and forth.

-Minsc-

Just a video of something I whipped up for the future. A redstone-torch-powered hidden door with torch retrieval system. Been working on it off and on for a few weeks.

Neat.

If you want to use a button instead of the lever have you considered placing a permanent water stream down in the collection area? That way once the torch is there it won't get stuck half way.

Oh, I may know of a way to make the restone work powering the door pistons more compact. If you're interested I'll show you later. :)

Neat.

If you want to use a button instead of the lever have you considered placing a permanent water stream down in the collection area? That way once the torch is there it won't get stuck half way.

Oh, I may know of a way to make the restone work powering the door pistons more compact. If you're interested I'll show you later. :)

Both are ideas that could work that I hadn't thought of.

And I'd be happy to check out any simpler wiring ideas for the door.

Neat vid! If you want to use a button though, there's a way to make the pulse last longer:

PXrJ3.jpg

The left repeater will send the signal instantly (well, it has one tick), while the right side row will keep the charge for ~2 or 3 seconds :)

Is efficiency enchanting a diamond pickaxe, or just avoiding them altogether? I don't have a good grasp on how to use xp and how to enchant items yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is efficiency enchanting a diamond pickaxe, or just avoiding them altogether? I don't have a good grasp on how to use xp and how to enchant items yet.
Iron actually has a better chance of giving good enchantments than diamond, but doesn't last nearly as long. And gold enchants even better. but of course, not nearly as long lasting. Kind of a trade off.

Been getting back into Minecraft - first time I've played in months. Started by building a long-ass road that runs straight through about 5 biomes, and now I'm putting cities along the route. Started off with a small desert trading post;

ibi9bjNemE6zgZ.png

Now I'm working on a tall tower in the hills that overlook the trading post;

ibeQ8uSwqh0j0z.png

ibjCYXeJrDBVCG.png

I have a question for players. Is it a normal playing experience to create an epic mine/quarry/warehouse system as your primary base of operations, and eventually abandon it altogether throughout the course of the game. I've invested so much time into my starting point, but I can also see where it can handicap me as well. What are the pros and cons?

-Minsc-

I have a question for players. Is it a normal playing experience to create an epic mine/quarry/warehouse system as your primary base of operations, and eventually abandon it altogether throughout the course of the game. I've invested so much time into my starting point, but I can also see where it can handicap me as well. What are the pros and cons?

It's personal preference really. Sometimes it's nice to start anew, especially if it's your first ever minecraft base. No doubt when looking at your base there are things you'd do differently now. Starting anew allows you to take what you've learned and build something better.

Edit: On another note....

Holy Nether! Literally. You don't realize how many caves there are in the nether until you go looking for them. I believe we have a good portion of the easy slabbing done. Now we have to mine our way through the nether to slab all those nooks and crannies.

The gold farm is certainly getting faster, it's just not to a speed where it's worth using yet.

Mengy

Been getting back into Minecraft - first time I've played in months. Started by building a long-ass road that runs straight through about 5 biomes, and now I'm putting cities along the route. Started off with a small desert trading post;

ibi9bjNemE6zgZ.png

Now I'm working on a tall tower in the hills that overlook the trading post;

ibeQ8uSwqh0j0z.png

ibjCYXeJrDBVCG.png

Hey Bootaay, nice to see you again! Is this on Neocraft or are you building it offline?

Sorry...ha

Random exploring is the best part of Minecraft. Especially considering I blow at building things. If it causes too much of an issue for file size or whatever I'll stop.

Exploring is fine just keep it even. Don't just go in a straight line for 30 minutes mix it up a bit so we don't have long spider legs coming off of the main area.

Also don't worry about how the stuff you build looks. Most of us here aren't that great at building in MC myself included. :)

Exploring is fine just keep it even. Don't just go in a straight line for 30 minutes mix it up a bit so we don't have long spider legs coming off of the main area.

Also don't worry about how the stuff you build looks. Most of us here aren't that great at building in MC myself included. :)

Alright, I stopped. Just got a wild hair to sail for awhile.

Top Bottom