• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Alright, I stopped. Just got a wild hair to sail for awhile.

I do that in my single player world all the time, it's like my favorite way to play Minecraft: nomad style. Just pack a few tools, some food, make a boat and go sightseeing.

It's why I would never ever buy the Xbox version. They neutered the best aspect of the game for me: infinite worlds.

-Minsc-

This nether slabbing business is turning in to quite the adventure. We've been down there "mining" for pigmen. It's actually quite fun hunting down these spawn pockets using rei's map.

Though the real fun is where we're at now. There were five or six ghasts opening fire on us. Pigmen getting in the way of my arrows and blaming me for it. I actually lost some of my stuff when the pigmen knocked me down in to an unexpected hole. Risky business.

Edit: On another note, the gold farm is operating faster than ever. Still not fast enough for gathering gold blocks but at least you're not waiting all day for the pigmen to drop.

-Minsc-

A taste. (Yields about 7-8 nuggets per minute).

goldnuggets.png

Ranger X

How does it work for grinding those Pigmen? They reproduce like the villagers now?
Curious to know the conditions for grinding them...

-Minsc-

How does it work for grinding those Pigmen? They reproduce like the villagers now?
Curious to know the conditions for grinding them...
This grinder uses the piston pusher design. Basically the pigmen spawns on a pressure plate which activates piston to push the pigman off the edge to his death. The grinder has an array of 540 pistons, each with their own pressure plate. Now, building the grinder array is only fraction of the work required. In order to force the pigmen to spawn on the grinder array you have to in some way remove all other spawnable locations in a 144 block radius around it. This can be achieved by physically removing the blocks or covering them with lava or slabs.

Awesome!

Also nice texture pack.

R3D.Craft!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Anyone know how to get a server working on their PC? I just want to play multi with my cousin on my comp or his but we are still completely lost on how to get it working.

Ranger X

This grinder uses the piston pusher design. Basically the pigmen spawns on a pressure plate which activates piston to push the pigman off the edge to his death. The grinder has an array of 540 pistons, each with their own pressure plate. Now, building the grinder array is only fraction of the work required. In order to force the pigmen to spawn on the grinder array you have to in some way remove all other spawnable locations in a 144 block radius around it. This can be achieved by physically removing the blocks or covering them with lava or slabs.
R3D.Craft!

So the condition of Pigmen to spawn is only distance and being in the Nether? interesting...

Anyone know how to get a server working on their PC? I just want to play multi with my cousin on my comp or his but we are still completely lost on how to get it working.

Do you want to play with him via LAN or over the internet? If it's a LAN then you can turn on access to your game whilst you're playing single player by opening the menu and clicking the option 'Open to LAN'. Your single player world will then automatically appear as an option to join for your cousin in multiplayer.

Over the internet is a bit more difficult, you need to first download the server client from the Minecraft website. Presuming you're on Windows the easiest way is with the '.exe' file. You'll probably still have to port forward (plus tell your cousin what IP address to connect to). More detailed information about general server setup can be found here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Setting_up_a_server

If you're running a server on your PC and want to play on it then I believe you need to first get that set up and running, then connect to it with the normal Minecraft client. I'm not sure how exactly you'd connect, but I guess it would just be your local IP address, or 127.0.0.1

-Minsc-

So the condition of Pigmen to spawn is only distance and being in the Nether? interesting...

Pigmen spawning is similar to mob spawning in the overworld. Unlike most overworld hostile mobs, Nether mobs can spawn at any light level. All a pigman needs is a one block wide and two block high space to spawn. I tell you, they will spawn in such a space.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Do you want to play with him via LAN or over the internet? If it's a LAN then you can turn on access to your game whilst you're playing single player by opening the menu and clicking the option 'Open to LAN'. Your single player world will then automatically appear as an option to join for your cousin in multiplayer.

Over the internet is a bit more difficult, you need to first download the server client from the Minecraft website. Presuming you're on Windows the easiest way is with the '.exe' file. You'll probably still have to port forward (plus tell your cousin what IP address to connect to). More detailed information about general server setup can be found here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Setting_up_a_server

If you're running a server on your PC and want to play on it then I believe you need to first get that set up and running, then connect to it with the normal Minecraft client. I'm not sure how exactly you'd connect, but I guess it would just be your local IP address, or 127.0.0.1

Yeah internet. We've been trying that server thing have had problems doing that since alpha. Still have no clue how to get it fixed lol.

Yeah internet. We've been trying that server thing have had problems doing that since alpha. Still have no clue how to get it fixed lol.

You could try Hamachi, or some other VPN: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Setting_up_a_server#Setting_up_a_VPN_.28Hamachi.29

This means you'll be able to use the LAN method, but over the internet and not have to go to the trouble of setting up the server client.

Thought I was having a problem just with Minecraft, but high CPU temperature seems pretty standard for a laptop playing games.

Go into the video settings and change the performance option to 'balanced' or 'power saver'. These options limit the framerate to 90fps and 40fps, respectively.

Are there any blocks that spiders can't climb? I'm trying to create a mob grinder, but it's undermined by these damn spiders. Also, the A.I. has apparently been tweaked so that no mob walks off cliffs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just rent a server. Costs money every month, but it's seems so much easier.
Me too. I use treepuncher.com with a $5 a month plan for me, my brother, his girlfriend and another friend. It works for us fine. Before that I was fucking around with a local server and had so many problems so I gave up and just bought a server for us. Simple as that.

Are there any blocks that spiders can't climb? I'm trying to create a mob grinder, but it's undermined by these damn spiders. Also, the A.I. has apparently been tweaked so that no mob walks off cliffs.
Spiders can't climb up overhangs obviously. You could place divits into the wall using stairs (Rightside up and then upside down) and see if that stops them.

Also, I believe enemies still walk off cliffs if you place signs along the edges? Or did they fix that?

Nelo Ice

Banned
I just rent a server. Costs money every month, but it's seems so much easier.

Me too. I use treepuncher.com with a $5 a month plan for me, my brother, his girlfriend and another friend. It works for us fine. Before that I was fucking around with a local server and had so many problems so I gave up and just bought a server for us. Simple as that.

Thanks I"ll look into that. I don't play much but it may be worth it for my cousins that do play alot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

On my mac, I just download the server Jar file and run it. default port is 25565 so from a lan you'll need to just connect to a server at 192.168.xxx.xxx:25565 (depends on your lan setup). Over the internet you'll need to port forward - just open 25565 on your router and point it at the computer IP address you're running on.

Add your cousin's username to whitelist.txt and turn whitelist on in server properties.

How long did that thing take? Hell the whole park...

:-D glad you liked the Doom Coaster it was an absolute pain in the arse to do (as was most of that park) however I am immensely proud at how the park turned out. In terms of how long it took, well me and Crazylegzlu finished the farm dome at the end of January this year. I think we then had a bit of a break. So the park was started at the beginning of February.

Once the dome was up (took about 2 weeks to clear the land and build the dome) the Rollercoaster was the first thing to get built and that took an absolute ageeeeeeeee. It got switched and changed more times than I can count. It was also going to be a lot more elaborate with redstone switches, rail traps and what not. However server lag limited what we could do with the Coaster :-(

The coaster itself took me and Crazylegzlu nearly 2 months to do (this is at nearly 8 - 10 hours a day everyday). I did the overall design of the coaster, most of the redstone attractions. The whole beautification of the coaster is down to Crazylegzlu though. He did a fantastic job of taking my crude functional crap and made it look dazzling.

The rest of the park took another month to do, the hardest part was thinking stuff up. It was a relief when Evil9000 took up some real estate with his maze and Procrastinator42 took up some more space with his fantastic trials attraction. But again the bulk of the credit should go to Crazylegzlu for coming up with some insanely cool stuff whilst I floundered around thinking "sod it I will do another baby coaster".

TL;DR it took 3 - 4 months at about 8 hours a day. It was a pain in the arse but me and Crazylegzlu are so damn proud of that place.

SteveWD40

You should be, it is by far the most impressive thing I have seen in Minecraft. I have seen bigger structures and the like but the way the coaster actually works is phenomenal.

Awesome breakdown of the Amusement Dome build Charlie, love that place.

Speaking of domes we need to try and organize a PvP match in Foxtrot since its ready. We have spots for 8 people in it.

I'd love to compete myself but I know all the traps and caves in the place. :-/

Also need some help deciding the rules and what people should start with.

Awesome breakdown of the Amusement Dome build Charlie, love that place.

Speaking of domes we need to try and organize a PvP match in Foxtrot since its ready. We have spots for 8 people in it.

I'm down for participating and recording.

Also, here's a rule: don't burn the damn forest down. Mostly this will be aimed at me. :p

Ranger X

So that means all fall-death towers don't work anymore? I guess you still need to use the water channels. Damn they're getting smarter.

Or you make them fall into empty canals. Then in the canal you put some trigger wire that will turn on the floor's pistons and make the mobs fall to their death! :)
I'll have to create a mob grinder like that.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Or you make them fall into empty canals. Then in the canal you put some trigger wire that will turn on the floor's pistons and make the mobs fall to their death! :)
I'll have to create a mob grinder like that.

They may detect signs, but I've tried edges lined with open trap doors... They seem to still walk off those the last time I tested it :p

That's good to know about the trap doors, I didn't know that. After the fix I retrofitted my fall grinder and built water channels for each floor. Took a lot of work and I now have hundreds of signs, lol.

Piston pushers work just fine to push mobs to their death, but it takes so many pistons that it isn't practical for large grinders.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They may detect signs, but I've tried edges lined with open trap doors... They seem to still walk off those the last time I tested it :p
You could have a line of trap doors along an edge, then a tripwire along above that, and when it's tripped, the doors all open. In 1.4 they'll be able to open down too so it'll be even better. As long as enemies knowingly wander onto trap doors. I should do some testing too.

Anyway, in my family server I found a spider spawner under my base. What should/can I do with it? Even if it's just drops and not XP. I guess a fuckload of string could be useful? But the eyes would be even more helpful.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really wish they'd fix dogs and cats. They're so glitchy and not really that fun.

Right now they have two modes once tamed. Sit and Follow.

Follow is terribly implemented because they constantly walk off cliffs, into fires and danger, spawn right in front of you and have a terribly short respawn distance even though the world can be pretty large view distance.

Sit is bugged to hell in that whenever you log back in they all forget they were sitting and respawn next to you one by one no matter where you are in their area, or when you return to the area. It's really silly. Plus sitting is boring.

I think they need a new system. Follow should be smarter. Better AI. Don't wander into danger, but still wander around in the general area near the player within say 30-50 block radius. Don't respawn in front of the player rather 10 blocks behind your view so you don't see it happening.

And sit should be replaced with two modes. Sit and Wander. They should remember their area. Record their "sit" coordinates and be allowed to just wander around like normal animals in a general area. Occasionally they might sit by themselves, but then get back up, or they can lie down or mingle with each other. It's a shame this would be pretty easy to implement since it's basic AI stuff once you record their "origin" coordinates. The game would just set up a geofence around their origin location and let them play around.

I'd much rather keep them in a pen with toys and other dogs, or in the house actually doing things instead of just staying put all the time unless they feel like glitching out. Right now it's just not fun having a pet.

I am totally down for a match if it's on a weekend. Personally, I'm good with everyone starting out naked, no breaking blocks (maybe leaves are ok? that means you'd have to go back and replace everything though), and just go with whoever is left standing. I know I won't win but it'd be super fun.

NihonTiger on NeoCraft 26 is uploaded!

For the first real time, we go on a server tour around spawn briefly, then off to Pioneer Town/Village/City/Whatever, New Castleton and the Arks, and vas' place.

The second part of the recording session is a shortened Episode 27. Something happens that makes me go crazy. Stay tuned.

Those Arks were so much fun. I loved that idea. We got it loaded up and went to the new world.

Great video, BTW. I agree, Pilgrim/Pioneer's Landing is depressing, lol.

Ranger X

I really wish they'd fix dogs and cats. They're so glitchy and not really that fun.

Right now they have two modes once tamed. Sit and Follow.

Follow is terribly implemented because they constantly walk off cliffs, into fires and danger, spawn right in front of you and have a terribly short respawn distance even though the world can be pretty large view distance.

Sit is bugged to hell in that whenever you log back in they all forget they were sitting and respawn next to you one by one no matter where you are in their area, or when you return to the area. It's really silly. Plus sitting is boring.

I think they need a new system. Follow should be smarter. Better AI. Don't wander into danger, but still wander around in the general area near the player within say 30-50 block radius. Don't respawn in front of the player rather 10 blocks behind your view so you don't see it happening.

And sit should be replaced with two modes. Sit and Wander. They should remember their area. Record their "sit" coordinates and be allowed to just wander around like normal animals in a general area. Occasionally they might sit by themselves, but then get back up, or they can lie down or mingle with each other. It's a shame this would be pretty easy to implement since it's basic AI stuff once you record their "origin" coordinates. The game would just set up a geofence around their origin location and let them play around.

I'd much rather keep them in a pen with toys and other dogs, or in the house actually doing things instead of just staying put all the time unless they feel like glitching out. Right now it's just not fun having a pet.

Excellent and realistic suggestions

I am totally down for a match if it's on a weekend. Personally, I'm good with everyone starting out naked, no breaking blocks (maybe leaves are ok? that means you'd have to go back and replace everything though), and just go with whoever is left standing. I know I won't win but it'd be super fun.

It will most likely be a on a weekend it's just the easiest way to get the most people involved.

I was thinking for starting equipment just giving a few torches (since it'll be at night to make it more tense) and a loaf of bread. There will be chests in the center for people to decide to fight over or just flee into the jungle and look for supplies out there. Removing leaf blocks should be fine anything else would be tough to find and repair.

Ok lets talk about .............. flying. As everyone knows the old world had flying enabled but this world has flying disabled. Time and time again it keeps cropping up that some would like flying enabled but they don't want to be in creative mode (understandable because creative kinda kills the game).

Obviously there are advantages to having flying enabled but it comes with some big disadvantages. The main ones being that flying sort of kills the survival aspect of the game and it can lead to a huge increase in the size of the map (because people tend to explore more if you make it easier for them).

My own personal thoughts on the issue are that flying should be enabled but only for certain users (such as donators and veterans). It is a huge perk and should be treated as such. Even with flying enabled it would be "gentlemanly" if people used it appropriately.

So what do others think, do you want Neocraft a no flyzone ? or do you want to take to the skies like Icarus ?

I agree limit flying to donators and vets. Even with more people flying people will still use the rails since they still offer hands-free travel.

Regarding flying I think it should be limited in that it puts the user into spectator mode and they can't add or remove blocks whilst using it. I don't have a problem with it being a donation only feature.

Top Bottom