• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

I vote for limiting it to the donators and vetrans. As a newer member on the server I actually like not being able to fly, it makes me use the rails and see everything.

zashga

Comcast let me down today, so I guess the Parthenon is on hold tonight. The interior is more or less done, though, so check it out if you're in the neighborhood. It's next to Yuriev's Mario Kart track.

You vets can fly if you want. I'm happy on the ground. :)

I think its okay at donaters/vets. But that's only cause I don't want to have the ability to fly, It would kill the game for me(Very much the same reason as Xeno), being a citizen though I wouldn't have to worry about that but I do plan on donating very soon. I've had a ton of fun on the server.

What are the chances that they'll add gears, oil pumps, backpacks for carrying more stuff, the ability to dye wood and stone, stained glass. the ability to create actual mechanized elevators,

what are the possibility of those ever making it into the game?

legacyzero

Banned
Ok lets talk about .............. flying. As everyone knows the old world had flying enabled but this world has flying disabled. Time and time again it keeps cropping up that some would like flying enabled but they don't want to be in creative mode (understandable because creative kinda kills the game).

Obviously there are advantages to having flying enabled but it comes with some big disadvantages. The main ones being that flying sort of kills the survival aspect of the game and it can lead to a huge increase in the size of the map (because people tend to explore more if you make it easier for them).

My own personal thoughts on the issue are that flying should be enabled but only for certain users (such as donators and veterans). It is a huge perk and should be treated as such. Even with flying enabled it would be "gentlemanly" if people used it appropriately.

So what do others think, do you want Neocraft a no flyzone ? or do you want to take to the skies like Icarus ?

Sounds good to me.

I agree limit flying to donators and vets. Even with more people flying people will still use the rails since they still offer hands-free travel.
I wish that flying was a mod that you had to use materials for, like creating an airship. You know? Like putting together resources to be able to build airships. It adds to the game, and doesn't kill the experience. And it's fun as shit.

I wish that flying was a mod that you had to use materials for, like creating an airship. You know? Like putting together resources to be able to build airships. It adds to the game, and doesn't kill the experience. And it's fun as shit.

We all do know about the airship mod, right? :3

What are the chances that they'll add gears, oil pumps, backpacks for carrying more stuff, the ability to dye wood and stone, stained glass. the ability to create actual mechanized elevators,

what are the possibility of those ever making it into the game?

Depends. If they can extract them from Tekkit and the like with little problem, it might make it in.

Milamber

NihonTiger on NeoCraft 26 is uploaded!

For the first real time, we go on a server tour around spawn briefly, then off to Pioneer Town/Village/City/Whatever, New Castleton and the Arks, and vas' place.

The second part of the recording session is a shortened Episode 27. Something happens that makes me go crazy. Stay tuned.

Aww, you saw my place when it was still unfinished at the 6:10 minute mark. Finished it about 2 hours later from your video with an improved cobblestone generator. I was out hunting for iron & met my watery death.

-Minsc-

I like the idea of a "spectator" mode where you can not break or place blocks however you can fly around and interact with redstone constructs. Make it a perk for donators and vets. Access to creative mode should be left as is.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I know a lot of people would like flying enabled. And as a mod of the server I'll go along with whatever the majority wants.

However, I'll state my stance on it here just for the record.

I'm against it. I think the warps are "bad" enough. Bad in the sense that they allow people to skip "playing" the game and instead just teleport anywhere they want to. Because a big part of playing the game is surviving while traveling, and building things to make passage around the world safe. If flying is enabled then players don't have to use railways. They don't have to walk cross country at all. The nether as a means of travel becomes moot. It allows people to build huge impressive things with no risk at all to themselves. You know that feeling you get while building the top of a 60 block tower on a scaffold made of dirt? That feeling of great height that Minecraft is so good at instilling? You won't ever feel that again with flying enabled. Traveling becomes a risk free endeavor and consequently quite boring. Ladders, stairs, water elevators, boats, minecarts, they all become a pointless waste of time when you can just fly everywhere.

Why bother having Neocraft as a survival server at all if surviving is effortless and easy?

But that's my opinion. And I know I'm in the minority on this. Thankfully I can choose not to fly and be the only person on the server using roads, boats, minecarts, and the nether. LOL.

Ark

It does seem counter-productive to introduce flying again when so much work has and is going into the rail system, for sure.

Speaking of nether travel Mengy, I kinda linked up to the road going to your winter base from my portal. I'll try and prettify it up to the standards that your road it at now soon.

Whatever we decide on for flying it needs to stick so we don't keep coming back to the topic. I feel the current situation works well with asking to be put in creative by a mod if you need to fly for a bit or for as long as you need it. Since most of the people that want to fly are already doing it.

-Minsc-

Thanks Mengy. :)

It's becoming far to easy lately for me to just "go with the flow".

First of all, I have zero problem with people who build in creative. An impressive looking build, in my eyes, is an impressive build.. For some people that's all minecraft is, building. I don't punish them for it. Not everyone is wired to leisurely build an epic build over the course of a year. They just "have to get it done". To them building platforms and gathering resources simply slows things down and sucks the fun out of the game.

This said, there are the server rules. To my knowledge NeoCraft is a survival server. In survival there is no flying and no item spawning. If you want that resource, you have to go out and collect it. There are ways to make things easier, such as mob grinders, but they still use the game mechanics of survival mode. One thing I've noticed in the past six+ months I've been on NeoCraft is the gradual loosening of the survival aspect. More and more people are building in creative mode, and I don't fault them for it. However, what does this mean for the future of NeoCraft? Do we bring down the law and start forcing survival or do we officially rebrand NeoCraft as a survival/creative mix?

A large part of me agrees with Mengy. So many things are lost with short cuts such as the warps and creative mode. I believe creative mode is one of the reasons the large community builds have been nearly non-existant in my time on NeoCraft. Forcing survival mode potentially could bring back an element of fun which has most certainly been lost to some. That is cooperation.

Like many I like to "be in control" of what I build, add to that I prefer doing it using survival methods. Alone, the gold farm I'm working on seemed too daunting. I toyed with the idea of having the pistons spawned or even requesting creative mode. Instead I put out a call for help. What happened? In the matter of a day and a half the community brought together the materials required for 540 sticky pistons. What seemed like a daunting task was completed in the blink of an eye when a large group worked together. Then there was the job of slabbing the nether. With the help of Dry(whatever the rest of your name is. :p) and Vas the farm began providing decent drops in the span of a couple days. I went to bed one night with the grinder operating as slow as molasses and came on the next morning to find it raining pigmen. To top it all off, having this help made it fun. Vas himself said going out slabbing, while working as a group to clear pigmen and fend off ghosts, was the most fun he's had on minecraft in a long time.

In essence, this is one way can still have fun while still keeping the spirit of survival on NeoCraft. Form a cooperative with other players where each use their strengths. The miners can stockpile resources for the builders while the adventures hunt down mobs for their loot and exp.

The more I write this post (it became much longer than I initially intended) the less appealing creative mode becomes. The prospect of the entire community of NeoCraft working together feels awesome.

Xun

I'm admittedly in creative at the moment, but that's mainly because I do not wish to invest too much time in the game.

I still think we should work on a community project, only we'd all be required to switch to survival for it. Perhaps that Tangled town concept from a few weeks ago?

I've actually considered switching back to survival now that I've got more time to play the game. Back when I was in school being in creative allowed me to hop on for a few minutes and get a lot done.

I also feel that when I'm working on something for the whole community such as the rails it's a benefit to stay in creative because it allows me to finish faster and get it up and running for everyone.

After reading Minsc's post I'm more in favor of pushing the server back towards survival now that the server really has tons of ways to make survival easier.

ZZMitch

I know a lot of people would like flying enabled. And as a mod of the server I'll go along with whatever the majority wants.

However, I'll state my stance on it here just for the record.

I'm against it. I think the warps are "bad" enough. Bad in the sense that they allow people to skip "playing" the game and instead just teleport anywhere they want to. Because a big part of playing the game is surviving while traveling, and building things to make passage around the world safe. If flying is enabled then players don't have to use railways. They don't have to walk cross country at all. The nether as a means of travel becomes moot. It allows people to build huge impressive things with no risk at all to themselves. You know that feeling you get while building the top of a 60 block tower on a scaffold made of dirt? That feeling of great height that Minecraft is so good at instilling? You won't ever feel that again with flying enabled. Traveling becomes a risk free endeavor and consequently quite boring. Ladders, stairs, water elevators, boats, minecarts, they all become a pointless waste of time when you can just fly everywhere.

Why bother having Neocraft as a survival server at all if surviving is effortless and easy?

But that's my opinion. And I know I'm in the minority on this. Thankfully I can choose not to fly and be the only person on the server using roads, boats, minecarts, and the nether. LOL.

I know I said above I had no opinion really. But reading this I think Mengy has a point.

12w36a Snapshot Notes (via DocM77):

New Item: Skulls. They're decorative, rare drops from mobs. Can be placed on walls or at 45-degree angles on the ground. You can also put them on your head. Zombies, skeletons, Steve (from PvP battling?) and creepers were seen, along with a new mob (more on that later).

Carrots and potatoes can spawn in villages now.

New Item: Carrot on a Stick. Crafting recipe is fishing pole + carrot (placed diagonal from the pole). You can now use those to control saddled pigs. Saddled pigs can't go uphill while being controlled yet.

Chickens now use seeds for breeding instead of wheat.

Beacon has a crafting recipe now: 3 glass on top, glass-nether star-glass in the middle and 3 obisidian on bottom. Speaking of that ...

New Item: Nether Star. It's a drop from a mob.

New Mob: Wither Skeleton. Only spawn in the Nether, possibly only in Nether Fortresses; looks like a black Skeleton carrying a stone sword. They also have the nasty Wither effect from the Wither Boss.They drop coal, bones, stone swords, Wither Skulls. Which you can use...

New Craftable Mob: Wither Boss. Like the Iron Golem: t-shape of Soul Sand (4 blocks) plus Wither Skull on top of all three blocks. Has a phase when forming when you can't him (he blinks blue) but otherwise, just as devastating as before. Has regenerating health. Drops a Nether Star upon death.

microtubule

Some more info I thought was interesting at reddit courtesy of redstonehelper:

Improved Breeding
Chickens now use seeds instead of wheat to breed
Pigs now use carrots instead of wheat to breed

Zombies that pick up items now always drop them

Added decorative mob head blocks (wearable!)

improved pigs

Now accelerate to up to 5 m/s
Saddled pigs can be controlled now
Saddled pigs now drop their saddle when dying

Pigs don't jump or move in water when following a carrot on a stick held by its ride, via - via

Added a way of controlling pigs
You either put a potato or a carrot on a stick to control it - It is a carrot

Craft a fishing rod with a carrot to get a carrot on a stick

When held, it dictates the direction pigs you are riding will head to

Nearby pigs flock towards the player if he is holding the carrot on a stick

screenshots and more at reddit

microtubule

12w36a Snapshot Notes (via DocM77):

New Item: Skulls. They're decorative, rare drops from mobs. Can be placed on walls or at 45-degree angles on the ground. You can also put them on your head. Zombies, skeletons, Steve (from PvP battling?) and creepers were seen, along with a new mob (more on that later).

Now that sounds cool! I love masks.

Also, I'll check out DocM's video. 1.4 is shaping up to be really interesting!

The truth is, I've always done vanilla builds. When we built Arkyo, we had to really struggle to get the white wool necessary. It took time. I would have to stop halfway through to go collect materials, but it made it a much more satisfying build. People will use creative mode, or not. It's their choice.

I think what we have now is working fine... and the rail system is really impressive with the colored lines. But then again, you could see much more of the server when you can fly. So, I don't know what the answer is. And I've never once used a spawned block to build anything, but the argument could be made that's why i haven't built much in a while.

Perhaps we should make the spawn be actually INSIDE the station? It would encourage more rail travel. I didn't even know that station existed until I saw Tiger's video.

Going along -Minsc-'s statement I have to say I am quite proud of the things I have built so far on the server as they have all been done in survival. The more I think about (not that I have much of a say, nor should I have) I think flying should be more restricted. In certain things like NihonTiger's server tours it would be cool to see the server while flying and dropping down to see something interesting but outside of that I think flying to build or travel just to get from a to b is not a good idea as it removes the a big part of the game, for me at least.

I know for a fact that in my move to a new location for a different build if I was flying I would have missed seeing the Future Emerald ravine and Mengy's winter base. As well as stocking up on beef and pork from all of the animals I saw during that trek. I appreciated finding the location I had picked out on the map before hand more because I actively had to try and find it while walking.

For rails at least isn't this a problem with moving faster then the server/connection can handle as the chunks are being loaded much much faster then normal? I remember on a personal server running 2gb of RAM dedicated only to minecraft/java that I still had minecart lag due to the connection not being able to keep up with the loading of the chunks.

All this talk aboot rail systems... If you guys really want, I guess you can link my harvester up to the system. I've made a potential door from the warp room.. Use that if you do anything, lol. If not I'll just put the wall back to how it was :D

Ok back to GW2!

PS: I added 2 nether chests to the catch-all room.

All this talk aboot rail systems... If you guys really want, I guess you can link my harvester up to the system. I've made a potential door from the warp room.. Use that if you do anything, lol. If not I'll just put the wall back to how it was :D

Ok back to GW2!

PS: I added 2 nether chests to the catch-all room.

Great idea I'll start working on it once I can get back to my PC on Monday.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wow. The Nether is about to get a hell of a lot scarier. But why is the Wither boss craftable? You need to build a boss to fight? That's interesting. I expect the star will then be extremely useful if you actually have to call upon Satan himself to do battle in order to get it.

Also solo glad to see seeds getting a new use. We need more uses for it. You end up with so much.

Cannot wait for Halloween. I wish our server company had an option to use snapshots. As well as better backup and restore tools.

-Minsc-

Snapshot: Cool new features. :)

On the subject of building:

I've been thinking for a while now that it's time I start cutting back on the amount of time I play minecraft. There's simply other things I have to do. Before I did that there were things around my farm build I wanted to tidy up. The problem now is there's so may other projects around the server I'd like to lend a hand to I'm not sure when I'd get the time. With that, would any of you be interested in helping fill in spaces around the farm? While I'd like to top it all off on my own, the itch is there to move on elsewhere on the server. I know many of you are capable builders who may think of a way to use a space in a way I'd never consider. This of course is after the gold farm is finished.

Speaking of, here are my plans for the gold farm:

- Finish slabbing.
- Add an exp mode, similar to the enderman grinder. As Mack suggested you'll be able to use loot swords to increase the gold obtained from the pigmen.
- Proper detailing of the grinder room walls.
- Replace the pusher redstone with repeaters to prevent a glitch.
- Construct a proper maintenance catwalk on each level of the grinder array.
- Construct a tunnel out and up through the magma lake.
- Build a proper road back to my Nether portal and future nether base. Potentially it will be a rail, however, I've always liked the idea of travelling on foot in the nether. (It was great back in the early days of 1.2 travelling in the nether from my portal to Neolulu, killing pigmen and ghasts on the way.)
- Remove temporary walkways.

U5C0O.png

We need to update this. Also, make it oriented correctly with the proper Cardinal Directions, although that might be tough to make it look right.

Also, I think we should consider expanding Spawn Central Station. It's way too easy to miss right now. Just, we make it more conspicuous.

We need to update this. Also, make it oriented correctly with the proper Cardinal Directions, although that might be tough to make it look right.

Also, I think we should consider expanding Spawn Central Station. It's way too easy to miss right now. Just, we make it more conspicuous.

We could try making the building on top of it bigger so it stands out better. With a bigger building we could also make a proper spawn area in it with rules, directions and what lines go where.

-Minsc-

We could try making the building on top of it bigger so it stands out better. With a bigger building we could also make a proper spawn area in it with rules, directions and what lines go where.

I like that idea. While your work on spawn has made it leagues better that before, there is still much room for improvement.

Sheep will regrow their wool now? Was just reading the wiki trying to figure out a better way of harvesting.

The way I did it before was breed a huge pen of one color and then /harvestslaughter it down to 2 and start breeding again. It was a really clunky way to do it, gonna see if this regrow thing works.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
:-D glad you liked the Doom Coaster it was an absolute pain in the arse to do (as was most of that park) however I am immensely proud at how the park turned out. In terms of how long it took, well me and Crazylegzlu finished the farm dome at the end of January this year. I think we then had a bit of a break. So the park was started at the beginning of February.

Once the dome was up (took about 2 weeks to clear the land and build the dome) the Rollercoaster was the first thing to get built and that took an absolute ageeeeeeeee. It got switched and changed more times than I can count. It was also going to be a lot more elaborate with redstone switches, rail traps and what not. However server lag limited what we could do with the Coaster :-(

The coaster itself took me and Crazylegzlu nearly 2 months to do (this is at nearly 8 - 10 hours a day everyday). I did the overall design of the coaster, most of the redstone attractions. The whole beautification of the coaster is down to Crazylegzlu though. He did a fantastic job of taking my crude functional crap and made it look dazzling.

The rest of the park took another month to do, the hardest part was thinking stuff up. It was a relief when Evil9000 took up some real estate with his maze and Procrastinator42 took up some more space with his fantastic trials attraction. But again the bulk of the credit should go to Crazylegzlu for coming up with some insanely cool stuff whilst I floundered around thinking "sod it I will do another baby coaster".

TL;DR it took 3 - 4 months at about 8 hours a day. It was a pain in the arse but me and Crazylegzlu are so damn proud of that place.

neocraft server? whereabouts?

neocraft server? whereabouts?

Yep it's on the Neocraft server in Dome City.

If starting from the Spawn Central station take the Dome City Rail then the Amusement Dome rail once you get to Dome City.

Once you enter the Amusement Done its pretty easy to spot the Doom Coaster.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
NihonTiger on NeoCraft 26 is uploaded!

For the first real time, we go on a server tour around spawn briefly, then off to Pioneer Town/Village/City/Whatever, New Castleton and the Arks, and vas' place.

The second part of the recording session is a shortened Episode 27. Something happens that makes me go crazy. Stay tuned.

seems like a lot of people aren't around anymore - are many of those pioneer town houses unoccupied? Just that most have private signs and perhaps they could be reused by others?

If starting from the Spawn Central station take the Dome City Rail then the Amusement Dome rail once you get to Dome City.

thanks

Sheep will regrow their wool now? Was just reading the wiki trying to figure out a better way of harvesting.

The way I did it before was breed a huge pen of one color and then /harvestslaughter it down to 2 and start breeding again. It was a really clunky way to do it, gonna see if this regrow thing works.
Sheep have regrown their wool for a while now, actually. I recall having a sheep farm back in, like, 1.1-era.

A sheep farm wherein the sheep always teleported outside of their pens into others', but a sheep farm all the same.

-Minsc-

I have successfully added an exp mode prototype to one of the pigmen grinder arrays. Start sharpening your Loot III enchanted swords.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Wow, that was insane. Took a while to find,mended up warping to dome city because I was in the middle of nowhere.

Is there a minimap or anything on the server, or is it just normal minecraft maps?

Wow, that was insane. Took a while to find,mended up warping to dome city because I was in the middle of nowhere.

Is there a minimap or anything on the server, or is it just normal minecraft maps?

There is a rendered map of the server here :-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61524402/Neocraft%20Server%20Files/index.html#/-2865/64/-1216/-8/0/0

However a lot of people install the mod "Rei's minimap" which helps with navigation (it lets you set markers for important areas). You can get Rei's minimap here :-

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/482147-132125-aug17-reis-minimap-v32-05/

Top Bottom