• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

microtubule

Minecraft Snapshot 12w37a has been posted at Mojang.com

Tweaks to the Wither

Carrots are now carrot, and added new food item

Tweaks to a couple of item sprites

Leather armor now has a non-dyed layer

Superflat customization options

Pigs are now able to jump when players ride on them

Added /clear command to empty the inventory

Evil mobs are now a little bit more fearless in hard difficulty

Various bug fixes

The mob aggression sounds interesting to me!
redstonehelper at reddit.com/r/minecraft:
They will now jump down to you as long as it doesn't kill them
Depending on difficulty, they take higher risks

Mystery solved on the new food item:

r/Minecraft said:
7bkY2.png

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mystery solved on the new food item:

That's cool, pumpkin pie. But the game has so many foods now that it's almost hard to decide what to bring along anymore. Except that I always bring cooked beef, because it's the best food there is. It would be cool if the different foods gave different buffs when eaten, kind of like what Warcraft does.

Like beef keeps your health full longer. While cookies allowed you to run a tad faster for a time. And bread gave you a mining speed buff. Things like that would really greatly enhance the food aspect of Minecraft.

Oh yeah, and stained glass.

Dinnerbone adding second ranged mob for Halloween?

Personally I am hoping for a flying mob type. I am just afraid it would turn out to be annoying like a Cazador or Cliff Racer.
Cacodemons (aka "big-mouthed floating thingies") confirmed for Minecraft!

(Actually, I wonder if there's any skins for Ghasts to make them look like Cacodemons... You'd have to remove the tentacles, but otherwise, that could actually work.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I always bring cooked chicken because I keep a frame rate killing cool full of 500 chickens with a bunch of dispensers hooked to a clock to refill the pen. The chickens lay eggs constantly after the 5 minute delay and occasionally I will step into my killing slot and run through an iron sword or two. I usually end up with 100-200 chickens and a bunch of XP and feathers. It's just easier to breed chickens than it is to multiply cows and pigs. The extra chicken I end up with outweighs the extra food slot I would get from a piece of beef or pork.

Ranger X

Chickens are the most important passive mob for me too right now.

They give tons of food, they are the only source of feathers for making arrows, they multiply faster thanks to eggs and now there's more and more uses for eggs. This is fantastic.

Vlad

That's cool, pumpkin pie. But the game has so many foods now that it's almost hard to decide what to bring along anymore. Except that I always bring cooked beef, because it's the best food there is. It would be cool if the different foods gave different buffs when eaten, kind of like what Warcraft does.

Like beef keeps your health full longer. While cookies allowed you to run a tad faster for a time. And bread gave you a mining speed buff. Things like that would really greatly enhance the food aspect of Minecraft.

It kind of does work like that, though. Not with all the additional buffs, but different foods do keep you fuller for longer. Check out the wiki page on hunger.

It's easy to notice in-game, too. Try to do some adventuring on an all-chicken or beef diet, then switch to all melons or cookies. You'll notice that you'll have to keep refilling your hunger a lot more often on the latter.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Are ya'll still on the same map where I had my giant mining complex? The one with the pioneer town and whatnot.

Yep, still the same map, and no intention of resetting the map in any kind of near future. This map has really come into its own.

It kind of does work like that, though. Not with all the additional buffs, but different foods do keep you fuller for longer. Check out the wiki page on hunger.

It's easy to notice in-game, too. Try to do some adventuring on an all-chicken or beef diet, then switch to all melons or cookies. You'll notice that you'll have to keep refilling your hunger a lot more often on the latter.

Yeah, but what I was saying is that there isn't any incentive at all to use the inferior foods right now, other than the fact that you might have some lying around. But if they imparted certain buffs that were useful situationally, then there would be a reason (other than just because you want to) to make bread, cookies, watermelons, cake, or even pumpkin pie.

Some possible food buffs that would rock:

- slightly faster mining speed
- slightly faster run speed
- extended breath underwater
- higher jump
- strength (extra sword damage)
- better night vision
- featherfall
- water walking

And those are just a few ideas off the top of my head...

Yeah, I had to switch from an all-pork diet to an all-bread diet, by virtue of my pig farm constantly shrinking (either they were escaping due to buggy collision detection, or somebody wasn't bothering to repopulate the pigs before slaughtering them; either way, I was running rather low). I had to eat so much more frequently with the bread.

Cacodemons (aka "big-mouthed floating thingies") confirmed for Minecraft!

(Actually, I wonder if there's any skins for Ghasts to make them look like Cacodemons... You'd have to remove the tentacles, but otherwise, that could actually work.)

That'd be neat!

I want a Poe like from Zelda. Floating invisible with lanterns (would need movable light sources!), until you get too close. Then it materializes and shoots fire at you. Maybe make random generate graveyards for them to spawn in :p

minecraft_monster_idea_by_artistdude88-d4k89e7.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hope pumpkin pie is place able like cake. At least it looks easier to make. But really I rarely even use anything else. I only keep cows for leather and pigs will only be useful for riding. I only grow melons for looks. Same with pumpkins and cocoa beans. I rarely make cookies. Cake is a pain in the ass. Apples are meh. There's too much food to choose from. I just keep it simple and breed chickens in my water floaty based chicken coop. I plan on making a huge one for a thousand chickens. Right now though I have a 5x5 coop and when I have 500 chickens in it the FPS drops to 7. The nice thing is they all seem to gather in the corners. Makes it easy to swing away with an iron sword for two minutes until it breaks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope pumpkin pie is place able like cake. At least it looks easier to make. But really I rarely even use anything else. I only keep cows for leather and pigs will only be useful for riding. I only grow melons for looks. Same with pumpkins and cocoa beans. I rarely make cookies. Cake is a pain in the ass. Apples are meh. There's too much food to choose from. I just keep it simple and breed chickens in my water floaty based chicken coop. I plan on making a huge one for a thousand chickens. Right now though I have a 5x5 coop and when I have 500 chickens in it the FPS drops to 7. The nice thing is they all seem to gather in the corners. Makes it easy to swing away with an iron sword for two minutes until it breaks.

how do you build one?

Jhriad

Yes :) Come visit and say hi sometime. Lots of new things to see and do.

I really should. I had hundreds of chests of materials that Krovan and I had gathered and I should put those to use. Are there any new limits/rules to the map? Meaning, can I move out a bit and start a new mining/building area?

Enco

I've always ragged on Minecraft for being boring, empty and having a lazy lead (Notch). However, I take that all back.

I just discovered the Hunger Games servers and my god they're brilliant! So much tension and so much fun. Without the great modding community the game would be horrendous. Luckily there are a lot of talented people working hard on the game.

We should have a big GAF Hunger Game's tournament :lol

I fear Charlie might hurt himself if we reset the map :p

There would be much "questioning" of peoples parentage if the server was reset any time soon ;-) . But I like to think I would come back bigger and better with dome citys that defy all sanity and a new neolantis that makes the old one look like a mere pimple on a villagers nose.

Alas it will eventually happen though that goes without saying. However hopefully with the server trim we have bought at least another year of usefulness out of the map ..... not counting on any dick move that Mojang of Jeb might make :p

I really should. I had hundreds of chests of materials that Krovan and I had gathered and I should put those to use. Are there any new limits/rules to the map? Meaning, can I move out a bit and start a new mining/building area?

Well no hard and fast "YOU MUST NOT DO THAT" rule but it would be appreciated if you keep exploration to a more controlled fashion. There is plenty of space on the existing map though so you shouldn't have to go too far from the main populated area to find a nice secluded spot for yourself.

We should have a big GAF Hunger Game's tournament :lol
People keep trying to arrange one in the Dome City jungle dome (it even has fiendish traps and what not) but no one seems to commit to take part.

Enco

There would be much "questioning" of peoples parentage if the server was reset any time soon ;-) . But I like to think I would come back bigger and better with dome citys that defy all sanity and a new neolantis that makes the old one look like a mere pimple on a villagers nose.

Alas it will eventually happen though that goes without saying. However hopefully with the server trim we have bought at least another year of usefulness out of the map ..... not counting on any dick move that Mojang of Jeb might make :p

Well no hard and fast "YOU MUST NOT DO THAT" rule but it would be appreciated if you keep exploration to a more controlled fashion. There is plenty of space on the existing map though so you shouldn't have to go too far from the main populated area to find a nice secluded spot for yourself.

People keep trying to arrange one in the Dome City jungle dome (it even has fiendish traps and what not) but no one seems to commit to take part.
Is it a fully working game with the starting mounts and all?

How about arranging a session on saturday? I'd be up for it.

MackVee

Neo Member
bloody player killers on MineZ. You're just about hanging on, sneaking around, then they just walk up and kill you :/

Oh aye, I've raged quit so many times playing that game.

----

Hey peeps, there's many more statues available at Mackville waiting to be possessed by your Minecraft spirit. Join the likes of these sinful souls.

52jbm.jpg

Works of art.

Let's decide on a day for our first PvP. Is Saturday okay for you Ark? Since you need to allow it and all. This first one we can mess around and see what works best for us. Once we decide on a day we'll pin down a rough time to do it.

If we're doing this Saturday, it'd work better for me if it was in the morning/afternoon where I am (EST) since I won't be around that night. A lot of the people who play on our server live far in the future compared to me so I'm sure it won't be a big deal, but I just wanted to throw that out there. I can't wait to be the first one to die.

Ark

Let's decide on a day for our first PvP. Is Saturday okay for you Ark? Since you need to allow it and all. This first one we can mess around and see what works best for us. Once we decide on a day we'll pin down a rough time to do it.

This Saturday is the only day that I'm busy all day for like a good few weeks :(

KUeEw.jpg

The Separated Sheep Pens are now open! 16 hues spanning 4 floors, each floor with 4 pens containing 15 sheep per! No killing or producing more sheep please. If you need a boat load of colored wool and just can't wait for them to regrow, use the above ground free-for-all sheep pen (and bring your own dyes).

Major thanks to Crazy! Special thanks to Vas and Nihon :)

KUeEw.jpg

The Separated Sheep Pens are now open! 16 hues spanning 4 floors, each floor with 4 pens containing 15 sheep per! No killing or producing more sheep please. If you need a boat load of colored wool and just can't wait for them to regrow, use the above ground free-for-all sheep pen (and bring your own dyes).

I will be checking this out tonight!

-Minsc-

Through out the day Sunday (Atlantic time) would be the best for me.

This Saturday is the only day that I'm busy all day for like a good few weeks :(

Friday or Sunday okay? I'm free all day either day.

Also, We don't need a full 8 people for the first one. Just a few people should be okay.

EDIT: Maybe we can do it as a PvP weekend where we just turn it on (if that's how it works?) Friday afternoon and just organize games during the weekend when enough people are on. Then put it back to normal on Monday.

kennah

KUeEw.jpg

You are insane

Ranger X

It would be good if the PVP is restricted to certain area.
I will never participate in PVP games and I would like to play in the server even if it's a PVP day. I also wouldn't want to get randomly killed by someone passing by.

It would be good if the PVP is restricted to certain area.
I will never participate in PVP games and I would like to play in the server even if it's a PVP day. I also wouldn't want to get randomly killed by someone passing by.

It's restricted to the Foxtrot Dome. No idea though if Ark has to turn it on per person or the server as a whole.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting killed by people wandering around though. It's not like the server's incredibly busy, and it's fairly spread out.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
sorry, I meant a chicken farm :p
Simple. You need a layer of water for the chickens to float in and a stream "conveyor belt" under it. The water up top is held up by a layer of signs. The chickens bob up and down in the water and pop out eggs. The eggs fall down into the belt and are filed into a single space for collection.

I put in a set of dispensers on a repeating loop so they constantly fire with an on/off switch of course. When I get eggs I don't need and need to refill the coop, the dispensers fire the eggs into the coop. You don't always get chickens, but you get enough to keep it full if you don't kill off every one.

I also place an alcove along the wall a block and a half above the water line with upside down stairs to rest your forehead in so you can walk forward without crouching, aim down and just swing away.

Right now it's a prototype temporary coop but I plan on building a bigger one later when I do some tests.

I probably didn't come up with the idea, but I did think of it without having seen it before. It's pretty ingenious. I'm sure someone has done the same thing.

The routine goes as follows:
Pick up the eggs that are waiting. (It takes about 5 minutes for them to start coming out. But if it's full, they'll come by the dozens.)
Kill off chickens until you are satisfied.
Place the eggs in the dispensers and turn it on.
Wait 5 minutes or so for all the chicks to grow up before doing another round of killing.

As long as you kill first and then refill you won't run the risk of killing a bunch of useless chicks that won't give you anything. Let them grow up first before doing any "pruning" of the herd.

And remember your framerate will lower significantly as you get towards 200-300 or so. At least if they're in a smaller space. (My current one is 5x5. The one I'm planning will be about 10x20 or so.)

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get how people build megastructures in survival mode. Do they really mine hundreds of cobbletones?

Yes. Cobblestone isn't as bad as you might think though. If you do any mining underground you'll end up with a ton of cobble anyway and because it's so easy to get, people tend to be more willing to share it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
KUeEw.jpg

perhaps while you're there getting the wool you need, you could shear a few extra sheep and put the extra wool in a chest? that way the stocks will grow more quickly than just how many sheep you have

where abouts is that btw?

Top Bottom