• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't get how people build megastructures in survival mode. Do they really mine hundreds of cobbletones?

sure, getting tons of cobble is easy. If you're mining for iron/diamond etc you end up with chestfuls. I do wish there was a mod that kept it smooth when I mined it though - I like building in smooth stone so smelting it all is what uses up my time.

Some of the stuff in neocraft is crazy though.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
sure, getting tons of cobble is easy. If you're mining for iron/diamond etc you end up with chestfuls. I do wish there was a mod that kept it smooth when I mined it though - I like building in smooth stone so smelting it all is what uses up my time.

Some of the stuff in neocraft is crazy though.

there's an enchantment for that.

Ark

Friday or Sunday okay? I'm free all day either day.

Also, We don't need a full 8 people for the first one. Just a few people should be okay.

EDIT: Maybe we can do it as a PvP weekend where we just turn it on (if that's how it works?) Friday afternoon and just organize games during the weekend when enough people are on. Then put it back to normal on Monday.

I've never actually experimented with PvP on the server, so I'm not sure whether turning it on turns it on for everyone, or just allows PvP mode to be turned on by each player.

I'll hop on sometime today and check it out.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't get how people build megastructures in survival mode. Do they really mine hundreds of cobbletones?

Cobblestone is plentiful, but its all these other, rarer, blocks/ores that seem impossible to have so much of without spending thousands of hours playing.

I'm trying to get my roommate to learn how to play so I have some help and can create a bit more ambitious structures that might be too much to do on my own.

Cobblestone is plentiful, but its all these other, rarer, blocks/ores that seem impossible to have so much of without spending thousands of hours playing.

I'm trying to get my roommate to learn how to play so I have some help and can create a bit more ambitious structures that might be too much to do on my own.

I've been in creative mode for the last couple of days and its been great. I love survival but I hate cutting a bunch of trees and crafting stairs. Simple items are some of the most annoying to craft. Signs anyone?

Seanspeed

Banned
I've been in creative mode for the last couple of days and its been great. I love survival but I hate cutting a bunch of trees and crafting stairs. Simple items are some of the most annoying to craft. Signs anyone?

Yea, I wish the 360 version had something like that. I've been putting it on 'Peaceful' quite a bit lately as a I gather resources and build. I enjoy the survival, head-to-home-at-night aspect of the game, but its just too annoying to deal with it when I'm doing something time consuming.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I'm just the opposite, I hate creative mode, and I love actually playing the game and running around harvesting trees and sand and wood while always having to be aware of creepers coming out of dark spots and such. Half of the fun in the game is gathering the stuff you need while being aware of the dangers around you. Take away the dangers, and the game gets boring fast. Take away the need to harvest resources, and it gets boring even faster for me.

Ranger X

Yea, I wish the 360 version had something like that. I've been putting it on 'Peaceful' quite a bit lately as a I gather resources and build. I enjoy the survival, head-to-home-at-night aspect of the game, but its just too annoying to deal with it when I'm doing something time consuming.

Have a bed with you and always skip the night.

I'm just the opposite, I hate creative mode, and I love actually playing the game and running around harvesting trees and sand and wood while always having to be aware of creepers coming out of dark spots and such. Half of the fun in the game is gathering the stuff you need while being aware of the dangers around you. Take away the dangers, and the game gets boring fast. Take away the need to harvest resources, and it gets boring even faster for me.

Ditto for me. Although having a creative game for experimentation and optimising red stone mechanism is interesting.

Seanspeed

Banned
Have a bed with you and always skip the night.

I do, but when I'm wandering around the map away from my 'base', its just annoying to have to build a little shelter every 10 minutes or so to sleep in. And then I have to hope there's not a creeper stalking around out front in the morning. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy all that stuff normally, but not when I'm working on a bigger project. Its also another spot in my inventory thats taken up.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I do, but when I'm wandering around the map away from my 'base', its just annoying to have to build a little shelter every 10 minutes or so to sleep in. And then I have to hope there's not a creeper stalking around out front.

If you go to bed early enough, you can generally sleep under the stars without worry of hostile mobs.

Ranger X

I doubt that.
But it's possible however to sleep BEFORE the mob spawning and therefore when you wake up in the morning, with no mobs around.

microtubule

I usually use the "three block high, three block over" method so that the bed would be off the ground. I do that if I am stuck in the middle-of-nowhere at night when mobs are already spawned.

If I sleep right before darkness I just place the bed on the ground and never had any issues.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I doubt that.
But it's possible however to sleep BEFORE the mob spawning and therefore when you wake up in the morning, with no mobs around.

That's what I mean. If you sleep shortly enough after you start being able to, you won't get many (if any) mobs spawning. And since (if I recall correctly) they now have to be sufficiently close to interfere with sleep, rather than just able to reach you, you actually have a little more of a window to work with. Though, the later you sleep, the more you'll have to deal with in the morning.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As long as there's enough light around the bed you're usually fine. It's easy to dig into a slamm 2x2x2 hole, place a bed and a torch inside and outside and you're fine. For extra safety, bring a door.

Ranger X

As long as there's enough light around the bed you're usually fine. It's easy to dig into a slamm 2x2x2 hole, place a bed and a torch inside and outside and you're fine. For extra safety, bring a door.

Or block the entrance with the couple of dirt blocks you just dug. ;)
I am really quick at creating emergency shelters in the ground.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Exactly. Eventually though as you get really good you like going out at night and fighting until the sun rises. It's fun.

Yeah, but that's more fun in single player than on Neocraft due to the simple fact that creepers blow the shit out of the landscape. Nothing more satisfying than fighting off a whole slew of mobs in the dark of night during a thunderstorm, with the occasional creeper going off. And when the day breaks and you look out over the battlefield to see a landscape filled with craters, lol. I've found more than a few caves and ravines that way...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, but that's more fun in single player than on Neocraft due to the simple fact that creepers blow the shit out of the landscape. Nothing more satisfying than fighting off a whole slew of mobs in the dark of night during a thunderstorm, with the occasional creeper going off. And when the day breaks and you look out over the battlefield to see a landscape filled with craters, lol. I've found more than a few caves and ravines that way...
NeoCraft used to have a Creeper Damage disable. Also, 1.4 will supposedly make this feature stock which is great.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how long should it take for chickens to grow up? I made a chicken farm where they are hatched onto water (so the eggs fall through to be collected) but they've been babies for ages. I also seem to get a crappy ratio of babies:eggs - using a dispenser to fire them into the pen. Any suggestions on improving the yield or is it just random?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
how long should it take for chickens to grow up? I made a chicken farm where they are hatched onto water (so the eggs fall through to be collected) but they've been babies for ages. I also seem to get a crappy ratio of babies:eggs - using a dispenser to fire them into the pen. Any suggestions on improving the yield or is it just random?
I believe it's about 5 minutes. But you need to be in the area. i.e. the chunk has to be loaded.

Eggs are random. They lay them between 5-10 minutes apart. And they have a 1 in 8 chance to hatch a chicken, and when there is a chance, there's a 1 in 256 chance of hatching 4. I've had no problems keeping my coop full as long as I always refill the coop with the eggs they left me after I kill a few dozen off. I try to keep it around 200-400 chickens at any given time. That's plenty enough to keep it filled with my three automated dispensers. (9 * 16 * 3 = 432 eggs. Each have a 1 in 8 chance of giving me a new chicken.)

If you're having trouble getting the coop started, you can currently feed them wheat to breed them manually until your eggs start giving a good turnover. (1.4 will use seeds instead of wheat)

What terrain is ideal for use of TNT? I have tons of gunpowder, but don't want to go in blindly demolishing hills and mountains for the sake of blowing shit up. What is the most strategic way of using it to maximize advantages to the player?

In solid stone, in a 3x3 pattern, if you stick a tnt in the middle, it'll blow up a perfect 3x3x3 cube. It has to be all stone, though. Gavel and dirt gets hit further away.

In solid stone, in a 3x3 pattern, if you stick a tnt in the middle, it'll blow up a perfect 3x3x3 cube. It has to be all stone, though. Gavel and dirt gets hit further away.

But is it more practical to just pickaxe the terrain to your liking from a resource management standpoint? I'm tempted to start blasting in my branchmines, but am worried about destroying some of the more rare ores like diamond. Having constructed an effective mob grinder, I've accreted a sizable trove of gunpowder. TNT is now a viable option for me, but I don't want to go about blindly destroying the landscape without knowing some of the more salient points in doing so. I'm hoping for some useful advice from those who have made their gains through trial and error. I'm actually more interested in hearing from those who've encountered stumbling blocks along the way rather than the ones who have breezed on through without a hitch.

Does blasting deprive players of valuable resources, or does the quick progress make the potential loss worth the endeavor? Given how rare diamonds are in Minecraft, I personally make it a point never to pass them up, and to warehouse them as soon as I find them. Does there come a point when the player reaches enough critical mass that they don't even have to bother with finding resources at all, or is it wise to be appreciative to every bit of ore/resources that are to be found in single player?

-Minsc-

But is it more practical to just pickaxe the terrain to your liking from a resource management standpoint? I'm tempted to start blasting in my branchmines, but am worried about destroying some of the more rare ores like diamond. Having constructed an effective mob grinder, I've accreted a sizable trove of gunpowder. TNT is now a viable option for me, but I don't want to go about blindly destroying the landscape without knowing some of the more salient points in doing so. I'm hoping for some useful advice from those who have made their gains through trial and error. I'm actually more interested in hearing from those who've encountered stumbling blocks along the way rather than the ones who have breezed on through without a hitch.

Does blasting deprive players of valuable resources, or does the quick progress make the potential loss worth the endeavor? Given how rare diamonds are in Minecraft, I personally make it a point never to pass them up, and to warehouse them as soon as I find them. Does there come a point when the player reaches enough critical mass that they don't even have to bother with finding resources at all, or is it wise to be appreciative to every bit of ore/resources that are to be found in single player?

Typically I don't use TNT, as you say it can destroy resources. This said, it can be fun to use. In general, if I were blasting I'd try to keep above diamond level (or the level of the resource you'd like to save). You may lose some iron and coal in the process, however, those resources are common enough I'd be willing to sacrifice a few.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't imagine TNT as a practical mining tool. You'd spend more time trying to carefully mine holes and placing and lighting TNT compared to just lazily mining in strips

Top Bottom